11 August 2008

One Chair. Five Ways.

Today I thought I would share with you a quick furniture rehab project and also show how a quick change of fabric can give a piece an entirely different look.

For those of you who have been with me for a while, this is a Furniture Rehab 201 project. Take a look at that tutorial if you want to see detailed instructions. I followed the steps from that stool project almost exactly.

Here is how the piece looked when I bought it. I'll bet any of you can see the potential in this cute little chair - especially for $4.00.




I love the shape of the legs and the detail on the top. It actually would have been great with just a change of the seat cover. But you know that I couldn't just do that.

Wanna see my new painting studio? I can paint here to my heart's content with no protests about overspray on the concrete or the grass. Until we get a driveway in a few weeks. :-)



I removed the seat, cleaned the frame very well and hit it with black primer. Then a couple coats of black, satin paint.

Here he is with the first fabric change. I love this. It looks like that fabric and the chair were made for each other.


And a quick change to a black and white damask pattern. Love this one too.


How about something a little bit funky?


Hmmmmmm...not so sure about this one but it might work somewhere.

Maybe a stripe?



That's fun! I like it!

And a toile?


Of course, I like that one.

For the spot that I had in mind, the black and white damask worked the best so that's how he looks today.




post signature

52 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Free Art Printables said...

Kimba, What a deal for the chair and what great makeovers! It's amazing how fabric can change everything! Jen R

Trisha said...

I love the fabric you settled on. That chair has beautiful lines. Your blog is always so fun to read. I just love your new home and cant wait to see all you do to make it yours!

Unknown said...

I really like the fabic you ended up with too! Looks great with your china cabinet and the paper inside.

Your new painting studio leave you open to lots of possibilities!
diand

Lacy said...

Love the chair Kimba! I hope your loving your new nest. I love the endless possibilities with your chair coverings. I am hunting furniture with great detail and lines like that!:)

AJ said...

Love love love it!!!

Christina said...

Fantastic makeover. You gotta love that black spray paint! What a great deal on the chair too.

nikkicrumpet said...

I've been snooping through your blog and I must say...it's a nice place here...I LIKE IT! Great chair project...I'm partial to the black & white myself. I also thought the shelf upside down on a table top was a GREAT idea. Have a wonderful evening. And thanks for letting me visit.

maryanne420 said...

hi kimba,

thanks for visiting my blog! okay, i'm officially addicted to yours. i'm literally going to drive around tomorrow looking for chairs to reupholster.

great idea!

mary anne

Jennifer P. said...

Yup! Damask was my favorite too! I would love to see something in it that has a lot of ORANGE!--but that's just me and my orange fettish :)!--it looks so sleek with black (albeit a little Halloween-ish!).

Hope you get lots of projects tackled before they "take away" your studio!

Annie said...

I was gonna vote for the damask first, and the toile second. What a deal for $4.00!! Cute chair...thanks for sharing!

Claremont First Ward said...

Love the damask, too!

Anonymous said...

oh Kimba, good deal

you know I like all the fabrics, but the one you settled on is gorgeous, I'm going to look out for a chair like that and have a go myself, so thanks for inspiring me!

Kathryn said...

I always go for toile, y'all, but, in these pictures, I do like the b/w damask best.

Monday blessings, Kimba!

PS-Lena is working on my site design this week. Thanks for the referral! :-)

Cathy said...

Looks adorable!! I like the fabric you chose the best!

Unknown said...

Wow it can be fun, funky, or sophisticated all in the same day..Looks great

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Oh goody - the damask was my favorite. Looks great!

Marie said...

I love that chair. Pefect fabric you settled on!

Wendy said...

LOVE your blog and all the great ideas!

Unknown said...

I would have a hard time picking just one print. Guess thats why my poor chair is still naked...I cant decide.... How's the unpacking going? Hopefully nice and smooth. Glad to see your back with the spraypaint....Have a great day Miss Kimba!

duchess said...

The damask was my favorite too.
Beautiful chair.

Kitty Scraps said...

Great chair, fab fabric!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Kimbra~
I LOVE it! You did an amazing job; and I LOVE all of the different looks you created.

Darlene said...

Good Morning,

I love the damask pattern you picked. That chair looks right at home in its new place with its new fabric....BEAUTIFUL!!

Michelle said...

I love how this turned out, especially the fabric you ended up with. Now I know that rehab isn't just for celebrities anymore, LOL!

Take Care
Michelle

Jackie ♥ said...

What a great deal on that chair! I have to say I love the Damask, but I like the funkier printed fabric too. I always say when it comes to decorating I'm Bi-polar...I like so many styles!

Glad you are back to your creative self...I love all the 201 posts!!

Have a blessed day!!

Sarah Mae said...

You never cease to impress me, and you make it look so easy! I absolutely will be taking on one of your projects as soon as I have a place to even fit an extra chair! :)

Anna said...

that is a beautiful chair and it looks great black, and with the fabric you chose too

Caren said...

Adorable! I really liked seeing the different fabrics, the idea that you can change them so easily is great, it really does change the look. I'm hoping to start work on my special chair today. (the one I found in the trash?) The weather is finally not too humid.

I like all the choices but the damask was actually my favorite. Glad you went with that one.

Karen said...

I grew up with that chair and five others just like it! I think when we sold the set, there was a small table with them, that we got more than $4 per chair. What a great deal. Love your blog.

Karen

Heathahlee said...

Yep, the one you chose was my favorite, too. I cannot believe you got that beautiful chair for $4! I had the opportunity to get two chairs for $5 but wasn't sure where I'd put them, so I left the thrift store. When I decided I'd find a place for them and went back, they were gone. Boo hoo.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Those are deals you can't pass up! Love all the fabrics, but the damask is great, Kimba. Looks like you're having fun already at your new place.

Rhoda

angela | the painted house said...

Someone is having waayyy too much fun! :) I love the damask, too!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Kimba, So cute & clever! It's amazing how you can achieve totally different look/feel with just changing the fabric! Looks fabu next to the newly decorated hutch!! I've added you to my fav list on my blog :).
Blessings,
Stacey

Anonymous said...

I really do need to visit to shop with you. Things that cute are never that cheap here.

I love this chair and it looks great next to your china cabinet. So, is this a for-looks-only chair or will you actually let people sit there?

Kristen said...

Love the black and white - although the toile took a close second. What a great find and easy fix to a cute chair!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

It is so fun to see all the projects that your move has inspired...it's like getting to decorate my house all over again (without the work)! I love the chair, and what a difference a little paint and fabric make. I agree, I also love the black and white! Sometimes I wonder if I have too much black and white in my house, but that's just always what I am drawn to!

Also, it's nice to "meet" you, I've read your blog for a few weeks now but have never commented. :)
-Carrie

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

The damask was my fav! Seriously...$4???

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

oh, that was my favorite...what a great find!

Heather said...

I've got to find something to spray paint. You make me want to spray paint THINGS. I also need to get some scrapbook paper for my hutch.

I love the fabric you ended up using!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Wow! You are so talented, Kimba. Love the black chair with the black and white damask fabric (the hutch looks gorgeous, too).

So nice of you to add me to your faves. I'm adding you to mine, too. I always love coming over here to see what creative things you're up to. Thanks! -Julia :-)

Melanie said...

Beautiful...love the blue..I love anything that is toile!

Stacy said...

Love it! I loved the first fabric and the cheery stipes! And the one you settled on is fabulous! Very cool!

~Stacy

ROXY said...

WOW! What a great makeover!!

Sarah said...

You did a great job! I have a chair that I might experiment with!

Anonymous said...

love it in black! what a GREAT find!!!!

Anonymous said...

Evening, Kimba! Those chairs! What a steal you got. I have very similar little chairs in my breakfast room. Yours look fantastic painted black. You spray painted them? I love that black and white bigger pattern. It looks awesome. You're good girl and just playing up a storm.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Wow! I love all of them, but I have to say the black and white was my favorite!

Oh, hey! I nominated you for an award on my blog! Come check it out:
http://projectdomesticbliss.blogspot.com/

Elise said...

I was hoping you would use the damask!! Love it!!
Elise

Kaylee said...

I am in love with this chair! love it, and I love reading your blog! =D

Anna Maria Junus said...

They're gorgeous!

I never find beautiful furniture like that for so cheap. You must live in a great place.

Screaming Meme said...

I love that fabric...I made valances out of that same fabric!...I love black and cream! and damask!...Screaming Meme

meg said...

Your ideas and your blog are absolutely amazing. I have no idea how I came across your blog, but am so glad I did! I can't wait for more! :)

- Meg