22 August 2008

A Ridiculously Easy Centerpiece

Blatent Rip-Off Alert!!!!!

The idea for this centerpiece came directly from a magazine. If my brain was functioning properly, I might be able to remember which magazine. But alas, I can't. If anyone remembers seeing this, please let me know where.

Edited to add that a few of my readers told me that I got the idea from the August 2008 issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray. If you want to see the inspiration picture you can click here. Thank you so much for helping me remember.

I love any idea that makes something beautiful out of things that I already have. In this case, some missmatched stemware, votive candles and flowers.




OK. OK. I bought the flowers. But if I wasn't living in the middle of a barren wasteland of dust and mud, I might have had some hydrangeas or mums growing in my garden.



Here's where I put my own spin on it. How about this version for a Mexican Fiesta?




Those are just scraps of ribbon and the candles came from the Dollar Spot at Target (75% off, of course).



This one is my favorite. Pumpkins, gourds and pinecones for fall.



Could this be any easier?



I've got a million variations in mind. What ideas do you have?


post signature

67 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Nancy Hood said...

neat!!!

Anonymous said...

You have just gone and topped yourself! Where on earth do you find the time??? Im so loving that idea and it's so neat cause you can just change it up. I could see one of those for a baby shower....very cute idea Miss Kimba...very cute indeed!

Heathahlee said...

Oh my stinkin' cheese! That is the cutest idea yet, Kimba girl! I'm off tomorrow to find some lonely stemware!

bloggin' Chrystal said...

YOU truly have many GIFTS! If you don't already know this, please it know now! If you need a list of YOUR gifts, I will email you a list and that's without ever meeting you!!! These are beautiful!

Kathi Roach said...

This is so cute!! I have to say, I like your ideas better than the one from the magazine! What about a Christmas one with ornaments and red candles....or a Summer/beach one with shells???? Very cute indeed.

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day.
Have a great weekend! :)

Unknown said...

That is so neat! I do like the fall one the best - the colors are so rich. You could do so many different things with that.

Kitty Scraps said...

How cute is that?!?! And easy... I have a box of stemware too, hmmm, now you've got me thinking *smiles*

Please stop by sometime cause I posted my YS lamps, I'd love your suggestions on paint colors & painting technique tips.

Have a wonderfully blessed weekend!

Darlene said...

That is really cute and how easy!!! I love the Fall one with pumpkins and pinecones!

Unknown said...

Girl you are so creative. They need to hire you for some of these magazines! I love all of your creations!
Diane

Twice as Nice said...

Creative once again. Such a great idea and using what ya already have (just about). You can do just about any theme. So cute.

Tiffany said...

Wow! I just love that fall idea. My little mind is just trying to figure out how to make that work with stuff I have.

Kat said...

Love it. Love it, love it, love it. I wish I had had this idea when I threw a bridal shower a couple of months ago.

Cathy said...

WOW!! This is really great! I love this idea. I also like the Fall one the best! Thanks for another GREAT idea!

Linda said...

Oh the possibilities! I love that Fall one and I could just see a pretty Christmas one. Great idea.
Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Those are too cute! My favorite one is the fall one but the Mexican hats come in a close second.

Gretchen

Mitzi said...

I LOOOOVE the fall version! Very cute indeed. Oh, by the way, this came out of the newest issue of Rachel Ray.

Iowa Birdie said...

I LOVE this idea. I saw it in Rachael Ray's magazine just the other night. I really am crazy about the twists you added to it. So neat!

Unknown said...

That is soo cute..I love the fall one...

Mrs. Jones said...

What a great idea! I think I might put some sand (or fake sand: salt) in that tray and throw some shells under the glasses.

~Heather

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You even just impressed my two young daughters looking over my shoulder. They are oohing and ahhing...gotta love that. I am starting them young - at ripping off other people's fabulous ideas, of course.

Shannon said...

So cute and creative!! How about shiny ornaments with a little greenery laid in the tray for C-mas.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

That is TOO cute. How about some sand in the platter, and sea shells under those glasses for a beach party theme. Such an easy centerpiece but lots of impact. So cute! Jackie

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Ok, I just went back and read some comments and I got beat to the beach theme, Oh well let me think a little longer. I've got it how about some mini bird nests with eggs, some grapevine for a natural look?

duchess said...

What a cute idea. Since you're all done unpacking - could you come & help me out??

Chris said...

OOoh, I love it! Sand and shells in the summer, ornaments and long pine needles at Christmas, and a bunch of silver ornaments, fake snow, etc. for winter! I could go on and on! If nothing else, it's just fun to think of ways to change it! Good job!

Jo said...

Beautiful! I love the fall version.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

very cute. I am sure you could do Christmas and valentines day...You make me smile. You must have the biggest boxes of tour like "stuff" to decorate with. A house with a lot of storage.

I want a house tour someday.

Caren said...

Really cute idea! I'll have to keep it in mind and then rip off your rip off someday! ;)

I don't know if you've been by my blog recently but I just finished another little furniture rehab. I think you'd be proud. Check it out if you have a chance.

I've been working HARD on the chair I found in the trash, it's probably the most difficult furniture rehab EVER but I think it will be worth it when it's all finished. If it ever gets finished that is...

Missy Wertz said...

Kewlllllll!!!!!!

nikkicrumpet said...

HOLY MOLY That is BRILLIANT. You brought it to a new level with your great ideas!! Even I who am not "martha stewart" have candles and stemware! What a great idea!!!

Heather said...

I am so stealing the fall idea! Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would have never thought of that.....very nice! And you could do any theme with those.

I finally finished a project, Kimba. I've got it posted on my blog now...thanks for the inspiration!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Love that idea, especially the fall one with the pumpkins and pinecones. Too bad I don't have any stemware at all...this would be an expensive project for me.

~ Sarah

Ashley said...

Several people have already said Christmas. I think with perhaps the pine cones inside the glass and garland on the tray with red candles would be sort of a classic Christmas look.

Celly B said...

So cute! I'm going to have to try the fall one for this season's decorating!

Sarah B. said...

Oh my goodness....I just fell in love with the fall theme. I just started getting my ideas together for fall decor and I have most of that already....I am soo excited, you just made my weekend!

Kris said...

Oooh, nice! I always love a simple, yet beautiful arrangement made from relatively ordinary things. Thanks for sharing, May have to whip that one out on the next occasion! Nice!

Kelly said...

So cute! We do a Mexican themed party occasionally, and this would be perfect for it!

{oc cottage} said...

Toooooooooo fun!!!!

M ^..^

Georgia Girl said...

That is just to cute. I love the idea for the pumpkins. I just saw some at the dollor store yesterday while looking for crows so now I think I need to head back and get those pumpkins and gourds and do this. I also love the Mexican idea...Oh there are so many different things you can do this with....just any theme is easy for this...thanks so much for sharing. Let's see Valtentines...put red ribbon with heart candles...Oh I think I will do a Ga Bulldawg theme with one during football season. I am big into my Dawgs and putting all my Georgia stuff out so here is another added project for the season and a cheap one in fact...Thanks so much!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

No ideas of my own, but wanted to say this is a great idea!!!!

Marie said...

Very cute! You do, of course, realize that I'll be converging upon Dollar Tree the second the tornado warning is lifted, right? lol

Anonymous said...

LOVE this idea. It's so stinking cute and easy, that I totally think I could pull this off.

I'm thinking bunnies or chicks for Easter, of course glass ball ornaments for Christmas. Maybe spiders for Halloween with orange candles and spiderweb stuff around the glasses. Let's see, there are really endless possibilities.

Genius, really. Great idea.

-- Brandi

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! That is such a cute idea! I love the ones with the pumpkins and pinecones. I'm getting so excited for fall!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Great idea! I think the fall one is my favorite, but maybe that's just because I am in a fall mood these days! I wonder what we could do for Christmas? Although I already have so many Christmas decorations that something else would have to be sidelined just to come up with a space for it! Maybe I'll stick to the other holidays. Have a great weekend!
-Carrie

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Holy moley, girl, I just put together a post of easy fall centerpieces for my next BD and this one tops them all. I wish you knew where you found it, I'd link it. SUPER DUPER CUTE!

PS. I tried to email you but it bounced. Of course YOU CAN LINK TO ME. Anytime. I think you are terrific and I am honored. If you think of where you found those pics let me know and I'll see if I can slip one in to the article & link to you too.

MUAH! Blessings,
Melissa

A Hint of Home said...

Good idea! I've used the glass to hold a candle but didn't put anything under it. Cute themes, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a creative idea!!!
i have another for you:
for a family birthday you could put cupcakes under the wine glasses and number shaped candles on top :-P

Sarah Kate said...

I love the fall one. I am always passing glasses like those at the goodwill. We don't entertain enough to use them that much but I could justify having some for a centerpiece for sure!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

You are so creative! I love seeing all the various versions you came up with. The Fall one is my favorite, too. It's gorgeous! -Julia

Wendy said...

I love the pumpkins...that is really lovely. What a fun idea! I totally don't mind if you link to my toile barn star post tomorrow...I'm quite flattered! Love your blog!

Blogger said...

I love those! Really, really love those! Thanks for sharing, I'm totally copying you :)

Bella

The Beauty Bargainista said...

what a great idea! I need to try this for sure!! :)

Jennifer P. said...

Look how you took that idea and ran with it! Awesome! THe candle company people should be giving YOU a call!!! The Autumn one was my favorite!

Lana said...

I absolutely LOVE the fall placement! I will definately have to remember it!

Kristy said...

I think I've fallen in love with this !! Christmas of course comes to mind and birthdays. Maybe something for a husband with little footballs or another sports ball.

Jennifer said...

Too cute! I love it...especially the one for fall. Maybe that means I'm ready for fall. I think you could use the pinecones for winter also. Even add some hollyberries, pine boughs or even some ornaments. Just an idea.

Merrie said...

This. is. awesome!

I'm just getting back to blog reading after a tremendously hard week. Love this idea and will have to use it. I promise I'll photograph it when I do!

Mary said...

Hi Kimba:

I've included this idea in my I Love These Ideas! Sunday column. Hop over and grab a badge if you'd like:
http://athomeredesigns.blogspot.com/2008/08/i-love-these-ideas-sunday_24.html
Thanks!
Mary

Trixi said...

Oh, Kimba, I love the set with the pumpkins and pinecones. That may be my fall centerpiece.

sweetfunkyvintage said...

Such a great idea - the fall version is my favorite!
Missy

My First Kitchen said...

I think I saw this in Real Simple, too! Great minds think alike!! Super cute execution.

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love the pumpin/pinecone version the best! I may have to steal, um, I mean borrow that idea this fall!

Lady Dorothy said...

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it! (I have that magazine; I just haven't read it yet!)

Hmmm, I actually like all of your ideas better than the original!

Lallee said...

This is terrific! Thank you!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Kimba~ I have added you to our centerpieces of the month for august!
Fun ideas.

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I like yours better than the original. You could do pretty ornaments under the glasses for Christmas, or holly and berry sprigs.