21 August 2008

A Major Bargain

I've been on the hunt for a couple of wicker chairs that I could rehab but haven't had much luck until a few weeks ago. My mom found two great chairs at an antique store for $10 each. Some of you have asked how I find such great bargains. Well, this is one way. My mom finds them for me. :-)

The really great part is that they are in wonderful structural shape and only need some cosmetic work. Anything beyond some minor repairs is to much for my mind to tackle right now.

Here is one of the chairs before I spruced it up. I love the shape of the chair and the design of the wicker! It had been painted before and was a forest green color.



I followed the steps outlined in my Furniture Rehab 101 tutorial. Clean, prime, paint. Very simple.

And here is the finished product. I used black satin spray paint. The cushion was on clearance at Wallyworld. I made the pillow using the process described by Carrie at Buzzings of a Queen Bee for pillow mistreatments. No sewing involved!!!!!!

I think it's time to hang some things on the walls.


post signature

43 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Nice! Great find mom and WOW on the redo!

alison said...

turned out beautiful. I've been surprised by how comfortable wicker chairs are.

Missy Wertz said...

That wicker chair looks so nice! Do you know how they hold up if painted and left outside?

AJ said...

You find the best bargains! Love the color(of course)and the cushion!

Rachel Berry said...

Wow that is a bargain and it turned out great! I love the black!

I have 7 of those cushions lined up on my shoes bench in my mudroom/laundroom. One of these days things will be done and I'll be able to take picture of room in this over 100 yr old house....Sigh one of these days right? ;)

Unknown said...

So cute! You did a great job and what a bargain!

Julie said...

I am so happy you found my blog and now I have the privledge of looking at all your fun furniture rehabs! My only question is... what will you do when your whole house is done? I am going to miss all the fun rehabs!!! Maybe it will be just smaller rehabs! Have fun decorating!!!

cherry said...

very cute! Where did you find the lamp...love the wicker type shade. cherry

Deb said...

I love that chair. I keep looking for some in my area, but apparently everyone here is catching on to them being popular and they are really raising the prices on them. I need my mom to scout out places for me.

Bo said...

What a transformation...love the black & the cushion! ;-) Bo

Kitty Scraps said...

I totally am jealous! What a great bargain! I've been looking for wicker too for my porch and so far no luck except one very lopsided stool that I'm going to rehab. Great bargain!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

It helps when you've got a partner,
your MoM that is. The chair looks great! I know you are having so much fun getting that new house fixed up. Have a great day! Jackie

Darlene said...

Wow...what a gorgeous wicker chair! Of course, love the black. We just got a new dining room table/chairs and I bought those same checked cushions from W-mart (on a great sale of course). I also bought one extra becase I have a rocker that I will be spray painting black (like you did)...just flattering...hee hee

Twice as Nice said...

Love when you can make something beautiful from nothing. Your new home is going to be so amazing when you get done.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love it! It looks great with that cushion and pillow on it, too. Also loved your mistreatments the other day, Kimba! -Julia

Trixi said...

Well, you don't need me to say it but I will, It looks great. I need a mom like that. No, I've got a great one but she is not a bargain hunter.

Shannon said...

This looks so sweet! I love the check and toile together. So cute!

Jennifer said...

wow. that came out really nice. I love wicker furnature!! and the black looks awesome on it... this has me thinking about some yardsales I have seen... I'll have to keep an eye out for some wicker chairs. :) *note: I'm slightly a copy cat!! but only of great ideas!* :)

I also Love the pillow added to it... looks very chic and comfy at the same time!! :)

kudos!!

xoxoxo

Cathy said...

Great find! You always find the BEST things! It looks great!

Christy said...

Very nice!

Tausha said...

great find! I love the chair, but I espescially love the cushion and your pillow!
Gotta love it when moms help feed our addiction!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Oh...do I LOVE it!!

So pretty..and the pillows...cushion look so adorable as well.

Nicole said...

Hey I think that chair goes with the wicker bench I just did. I looks great, I love the cushion and pillow.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

That looks terrific and the price was right!

~ Sarah

Ashley said...

I found a similar bargain (well, actually my mom did... I guess it's very similar) and got 2 wicker chairs for $10 total! They were a forest green color, too, and I painted them white but it just doesn't seem to cover very well. I'll have to try your painting steps one weekend.

Kristen said...

I love black wicker - i have a set on my porch and I never get tired of it! That was a great find your mom stumbled on!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Wow Kimba, that looks fantastic!! I love wicker when it is painted black and I am beyond excited that you used my amateur method to create such a gorgeous pillow!! It is just perfect!!
-Carrie

Heathahlee said...

Once again, you amaze me with your talent.

My husband told me the other day he passed a "good bones" chair in the trash pile. It was without a seat, and he decided that if it was still there after work, he'd pick it up. Of course, it wasn't there. Wah!

Kristy said...

I think I might have to try this no sew pillow everyone keeps raving about ! Great job !!

TupeloLove said...

I love it! Such a great use for the chair! And I love the fabrics, nice choice!

Marie said...

Very, very cute! I can't believe you found that cushion at Walmart! It's so pretty!

Georgia Girl said...

Oh I love this. I have a set coming this weekend and now I know just how to do it. I hope mine looks just as good as yours.

Anonymous said...

What a nice Mom you have! The fabric on the pillow looks great with that cushion... love it!

duchess said...

Great find & looks terrific!
I love the cushion - I'm a sucker for black & white checks.

nikkicrumpet said...

UNREAL! That beautiful thing for 10 bucks plus the cost of the cusion and pillow...and yet it looks MARVELOUS! I gotta start hitting some antique and salvage stores!!!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

oh, I love this! Your mom did a great job finding these, and you did a great job giving them a facelift! I really want some of these in my new house!

Munchkins and Music said...

I like your blog theme! I should get some wicker chairs!

Anonymous said...

wow your mum had a great find there for 10 dollars and what a great makeover, isn't it amazing how different things look in a different colour

love the cushion too

Sarah

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Love it.....What does your hubby say when he comes home every night to a new piece of furniture? You are going to have to build an addition onto your house.

Gina said...

So pretty!!!!
Your new home is coming right along so beautifully!!!

I have been doing wonders in our basement- the amount of cleaning and organizing is mind boggling.
We live in an 120 year old house, so the basement is NOT pretty- but it is big and useful, so trying to bring out it's potential. (now if I can just stop my husband from messing it back up....!!!! haha!)

Anonymous said...

I recently read your post on spray painting the plates and it gave me the courage to try that out! I'm new to the spray paint world, but getting slowly hooked! Come see my spray-painted dish project inspired by you! Thanks!

Jen Kershner said...

Oh Kimba! I'm so happy to see this post because I have 2 wicker chairs in the basement that I've been meaning to paint forever. You've inspired me to get off my duff and just do it.

I'd be happy for you to link to my post. Thank you for asking.

Love your blog! Jen

Anonymous said...

I painted all my wicker furniture and it is holding up pretty well. I touched it up after winter. Your wicker is lovely. I checked out your chair rehab too. We can learn alot from you.

Hugs, Jeanne