17 August 2008

My First Mistreatment

It's time for the mistreatment party at The Nester's place! I'm so excited! I had been planning this mistreatment in my head for a while and today's party was just the motivation I needed to get it out of my head and onto my windows. I'm so thrilled with how it came out.



Do you want to see how I did it? It's kind of a combination of a mistreatment and a furniture rehab project like this one. It's probably going to take me longer to write this post than it took me to do the actual project.

Here are the windows before they were mistreated. Let me just say that I don't envy The Nester trying to take pictures of all her window mistreatments. It's hard to get a good picture of a window! There was apparently a spaceship landing outside of mine. Ahhhhhhh!!!! Bright light!!!


First,, get yourself some of these. They're L brackets and I used two per window.



Then two of these cut to the width that you need. They're 2x6's cut to 1" wider than my window frame.



Now, get yourself up on a chair and attach the L brackets to the wall so that the placement of the screws right before you try to hang the finished treatment. While you're up there, wave at your people neighbors who already think you're a freak because of all the spray paint and photo shoots with the bovine neighbors.




Then take the brackets off the wall and mounted them on the 2x6's. This way, you can hang the completed treatment without fussing with the screw placement since you've already pre-drilled the wall holes. Make sense?


Now comes the fun part...playing with the fabric.

Each mistreatment is just one piece of fabric doubled over. For this one, I wanted my finished treatment to be about 18" long so I cut the fabric 38" long. That's 2x the length plus two inches that will go over the top.

Fold your fabric in half like this. The raw edges will be the top so don't worry about them. The bottom is your "hem".



Now, glue on some trim to the hem. Yep. Hot glue.



Next you need to place your 2x6 with the brackets in place on the fabric so you can start attaching it. The flat part of the bracket is going to be against the wall so you're looking at the back of the mistreatment here. Make sure that you get it positioned so there is an equal amount of fabric below the wood on each side. My wood is about 1.5" and I have 16" below the wood on both ends.

Now you start attaching. I used two upholstery tacks on the ends to hold the fabric in place.


Then I started using the good old staple gun on the top. This part is going to be against the ceiling so you won't see it.



Keep stapling all the way around the top.



Now I flipped it over and went around the top with upholstery tacks to add a little more visual interest.


Then get yourself back up on the chair and hang them up!







post signature

101 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Jenni Hunt said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing!!
Jenni

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Your mistreatment is just gorgeous! The nailheads are the perfect finishing touch!

The Berry's Patch said...

They are beautiful! Love the trim.

Precision Quality Laser said...

Gorgeous...love the faux cornice boxes!

Andrea said...

I love the way these turned out!

Annie said...

oooohh. I love this! The tacks around the top really make it stand out! I could so totally do this. Thanks for sharing Kimba. Once again, your inspire!

Jackie S. said...

That is REALLY cute!!!! I am totally going to have try that somewhere in my house.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

WOWZA!!! All that and a tutorial to boot. You are AWESOME, and I will be coming back to that tutorial at some point...in the next year.:)

Jane said...

Fantastic! I could even do that in the apartment!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Oh wow, I LOVE them! So pretty and simple but with such detail. The nailheads are perfect. Great job!
-Carrie

Aubrey said...

Those look good--I don't know what amazes me more, that you've figured out all the technilcalities to make it workand look professional, or that you made it and hung the brackets without your husband's help.

Tara said...

The treatment looks INCREDIBLE! You gave me a great idea how to fix my living room windows! THANK YOU!!!

Amber said...

This a wonderful mistreatment!!! I love the way you made "simplified" boxes. The nailheads are a perfect detail to go with the fabric and the style of the mistreatment. Your windows look all dressed up and cozied up now! :)

Anonymous said...

oh you did such a good job Kimba, I never would of thought of that, I have a lot of undressed windows in the cottage, and seeing as alot of them aren't very attractive I am going to have a go at this, I like the way the windows look framed but not you know all over the top and too dressed up...just right for me, I am going to try it with a stash of fabric I have, it's not quite as heavy as the one you used I think, but I think it will hold up well enough...so thanks for taking the time to do the step-by-step, I will definitely be using it (errr I think it might have to be Mr BeachCottage with the drill)

isn't this a good one, I can't wait to go round and get these ideas, so love seeing real people's ideas and solutions

Sarah

Lady Dorothy said...

Oh, what a great idea! I am sure to use this! Thanks for the inspiration!

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! I love that mistreatment! Gorgeous fabric! I really like structured valances (or whatever they're called) like that. And the nailhead trim is the perfect touch! Great job!

Jennifer P. said...

Bravo Kimba! Those turned out FABULOUS! I love the paisley with the rough stone in your fireplace with the leather---soft, yet masculine all at the same time :)!

Jen said...

What a fun mistreatment! I have been wanting to mistreat my windows somethin'fierce, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I really don't think I've got a valid excuse!

Consider me inspired!

Anonymous said...

Geeze Louise!! Do you know how many windows I could do this to?? You're the wind beneath my wings!!! Thank you for this great idea :-)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

That is absolutely gorgeous. And a great tutorial as well. Thank you. I am thinking of doing something like that with the hacienda we are building in Mexico. I could use cute mexican, colorful fabric. Thanks for the great idea! And I love the tacks, too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so impressed! Nice job!!

Rae said...

I'm definitely in awe! WOW!!

Unknown said...

This looks great! Wish I could hire you to come here and do mine!
diane

Marie said...

I wanted to do something just like that in my office! I already have the fabric I was just trying to figure out HOW in my head. Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to copy you right down to the last detail. Shocking, right? ;o)

Cathy said...

VERY pretty!! Good work!! :)

Anonymous said...

So very pretty... Elegant... but not stuffie. Just love it!

Blogger said...

Very pretty, Kimba, thanks for sharing the instructions, too :)

I didn't mistreat my blog today, but I do have my dining room ready for fall, lol. I feel so left out!

Bella :)

The Nester said...

These are Grrrr-eat!

come do mine for me--I'm too lazy!

Kelly said...

I've been wondering what to do in my living room, and I think this might be it! Thank you for sharing! They look great.

Mrs. Jones said...

Wow Kimba! Your mistreatments are so classy. I love the upholstery tacks on there, too. Nice touch.

~Heather

Screaming Meme said...

KImba! I could say that all day long...actually I did the other day!...I came across your name on someone's comments....I was singing it! Great name,Honey! One of those names that stick! You are so amazing! I love your mistreatment! You are one of the best mistreaters I've seen! It looks like something from a Pottery Barn Catalog! Screaming Meme (one of those names that stick...:)

Frustrated Farmgirl said...

Gorgeous! I'm not even sure I would classify that as "mistreating". ;) It's beautiful!

Stacey said...

Very smart! :)

Stacey said...

Very smart! :)

Stacey said...

Very smart! :)

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Love it.......Did your hubby help? I need to go back to high school and take woodshop/tech class!!

I love it. Like always you are are so creative.

Deb said...

Those are gorgeous. Love the nail heads also. Great job.

Twice as Nice said...

5 stars. You did a great job. Looks professional to us! You make it look so easy too.

Nicole said...

Beaufiful, but then everything you do is beautiful so no surprise there. Thanks for the turorial, this is an awesome idea, I love the trim and upholstery tacks.

Nicole said...

Beaufiful, but then everything you do is beautiful so no surprise there. Thanks for the turorial, this is an awesome idea, I love the trim and upholstery tacks.

alison said...

gorgeous--thanks for posting your pictures. i too need to mistreat a few windows.

Anonymous said...

Perfect Kimba! It looks so great and frames your windows nicely. It looks like home... :)

-- Brandi

THE SANDY DOG BAKERY said...

WOW! They turned out great and you make it look relatively easy!! Love your blog.

Carry Grace said...

Fabulous! I will be copying you!

Kathryn said...

Looks great, Kimba! I did similar mistreatment in our master bedroom when we lived in Florida. Amazing how good it looks, isn't it?!

BTW, my new blog design is now in place. Thanks so much for referring me to Lena!

Jo said...

Oh beautiful! I could do that! Maybe I will do that in the living room. Thanks for the tutorial.

Chris said...

These look fabulous, Kimba! What a great job. What I love even MORE is the awesome tutorial you gave! Thank you!!!!

Unknown said...

Inspiring! That turned out great!

Amanda said...

lovely!! it IS hard to get good pictures of windows- They look really good and so easy to change out the look.

Lamp Tramp said...

Looks fabulous....and what a great tutorial!

Unknown said...

That's a great idea...I wish I could just make a commitment to one fabric...LOL.

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! And thanks for sharing a tutorial on how to do it too. :)

sweetfunkyvintage said...

Wow! Those look great!

Meghan said...

These are freakin fabulous!
Freakin, I tell ya, freakin!!!!

Will you come to my house?

I have 3 boys & one large 300lbs man child who think Steelers paraphanilla is decor.
Sigh.

christy @ theharperhouse said...

VERY nice Kimba! They really transform your space. Thanks so much for sharing :)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Um, no. These do not count as mistreatments. These are full on treatments--they look so perfect!!

Great job!!

~ Sarah

Shellie said...

Breath-taking! Those are so classy. Awesome job!

Kristen said...

I wandered over from The Nester's place and these look fabulous! Love them! I've been looking for something to do in my dining area and I think this may be the winner. Thanks for the step by step instructions as well. Very helpful!

Ashley said...

Beautiful! And it seems easy enough! You deserve a big pat on the back for this one!

TupeloLove said...

Oooh Kimba, I love it! Great job!

His Doorkeeper said...

I love your style Kimba! You did such a neat job! It really makes a difference in the look of your room....much more completed!
Very Nice!!!

Anonymous said...

Kimba, what a beautiful Mistreatment!! I love the fabric too!

Nichole said...

Very pretty!

Shannon said...

These look so great! Love it!

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

Really nice!

Nancy Hood said...

DITTO!!!!

Lise Samson said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful.

Lisa said...

They look really great! I love the nailhead detailing.

Lisa said...

They look really great! I love the nailhead detailing.

Leslie said...

It looks beautiful!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Kimba, your cornice board looks great! Such a classic look and you've executed it perfectly. I actually like fabric glue for attaching trim much better than the hot glue gun, but that works too. Much less mess with the fabric glue and it doesn't burn your fingers.

Great job...

Rhoda

Stephanie said...

Beautiful! Awesome step-by-step, too! I think I may actually be able to do this!

joelandbecca said...

So fancy! I might need to have my hubby study this! I am no whiz with the drill...They turned out excellent!

AnneDroid said...

Wow. Cool.

Candice said...

Love it! I may have to try that in my house!

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Holy cow...this was even easier than what I did. And it looks like you used even less materials! Bummer...I'll know for next time.

Rachael Black said...

I think that I'm going to have to try this one. Good use of 'L' brackets. I'm convinced that you are onto something with your idea! Great job.

Unknown said...

i've always wondered how to do something like this! thanks!!

Free Art Printables said...

Great treatment. It turned out so pretty and so elegant! Jen r

Maureen said...

Gorgeous! I am really impressed. I also chuckled because the post took longer than the treatments!

Nancy said...

So pretty! I really love the fabric you chose.
=Nancy

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Looks great,and beautiful fireplace. Jackie

Heathahlee said...

So I'm a little late...but they are beautiful! I think I could do this with your fantabulous instructions!

bloggin' Chrystal said...

wonderful...NOW I JUST HAVE TO GET BRAVE ENOUGH TO DO IT! thank you for your fantastic ideas! motivated but uncreattive teacher and mother, ME

Mary said...

Nice job! I really like the tacks. Neat touch.

Girly Stuff said...

super cute! almost a true treatment!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

WOW those look good! I agree it's hard to take a picture of a window, but you did it just great. Thanks for the tutorial. Those look like I could actually do them myself!

Jackie ♥ said...

Kimba,

Gorgeous "mistreatment"! I love how your did this....It is very clever..and looks awesome in your new room.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE CORNICE BOARDS! This is wonderful! They turned out very nice! Great thinking!

Jennifer said...

wow.

that is so cool. it is pretty simple and they look awesome. and window treatments are so much money to buy or have made... ugh.

i would love to try this out... only we are planning on moving soon, i will just have to save this idea for our new house.

thanks for sharing.

=) jenn

emily freeman said...

They look great! I like the uhholstery tacks...and I'm too tired to spell check that to get it right. And I like sticks too (to add to your other post). I've been known to pay for bargain sticks myself. No judgment here, girl!

Trixi said...

Oh, Kimba, I knew I love you for a reason. I CAN DO THIS ONE!!!! I have been looking for a great treatment for my living room window. It is huge and I don't want to cover it, as I love looking out over the field through it. But it needs some dressing up. This is just what it needs!!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this one! Thanks for the tute to go with it. I can't wait to try this one. My dinning room is in such need of mistreating! Thanks for sharing!

Inspired Kara said...

love
love
love
love
love
love
love

::Traci:: said...

Wow, you made this look so easy, I'm thinking I can do it ... :)

Jill said...

Wow! Looks like a decorator came in & did the curtains for you! I'm impressed!

Sean said...

Sooooo beautiful and classy. Great job and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That looks GREAT!!! Nice job!

Katie said...

These really add color and something extra to your room! They look great!
Also, your explanation was great too- I think I could reduplicate them in my own home!

Lakisa said...

I looooovveeee it! I'm going to try them!

Jennifer said...

First, I would like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting the window treatment tutorial....been wanting to try that & you have now given me inspiration and hope, lol. Secondly, I would like to just say I really enjoy reading your blog w/great home ideas :) Merry Christmas!