21 July 2008

While I Was Packing...

My dear husband has some concerns about my shopping habits. When I find an amazing deal on something that I can use for my home, I can't resist. I stash these treasures away until I have the time or inspiration to use them.


I think that deep down my hubby thinks he will be living out his golden years with a hoarder that fills our closets with toothpaste and picture frames.


I'm beginning to fear that he may be right.


Look at some of the things that I found while I was packing.



I bought these because I was inspired by The Nester's project here.

I found them at a going-out-of-business sale for just a few bucks and couldn't resist.



I was so pleased with the results of painting this mirror, that I started snapping these up whenever I see them Goodwill. I'm planning to paint them and give them as gifts.


I just can't resist super-cheap picture frames. The biggest one was actually picked out of someone's trash. So embarrassing. I'm planning a a picture wall in the new house so I've been collecting frames when I find them at a bargain.

I found these lamps for less than $5 each. I'm planning to paint them although I haven't decided what to do about shades yet.

So am I the only freak who buys these kinds of things without a specific plan? Do you have a plan and then search for the parts you need? Or do you pick up bits and pieces as you find them and make the plan later.

Am I going to become a crazy toothpaste hoarding old lady?

48 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

alison said...

if so you'll have very sparkly teeth!

Amber said...

I wish I had your stash! I am more of a pick my project and then get the pieces girl, but I'm telling you, that makes it a LOT more work. I end up having to search and search for a piece and it often takes a long time to complete projects because of it. I am going to try and lean a little more towards your tendency of snagging pieces with potential when I see them so I have a stash of pieces to work with. Our home is limited on storage space though, which means I have to be really selective with what I get. I just checked out some tag sales yesterday and found some great things! I have several projects in the works now. :)

DAViN said...

I'm sure you won't be hoarding toothpaste unless it's packaged with a great design!
I'm a decorative stasher too! My husband said I was "high maintenance" but ONLY when it comes to decorating. I can pass up a great buy on a pair of shoes, but not a great buy on a decorative item.

Joy said...

Whoops! The post above was actually posted by me and not my son.

Kitty Scraps said...

I think projects are easier when you have a stash to work from. I have a crafting stash of misc things I have collected from work. And twice a year we have a huge clearance on home accents so I tend to come home with several large bags full of things but usually I have an idea of where I'm going to put them. Then I also have my running list of items that I'm on the look out for... But my fabric stash is out of control, it's spilling out of the closet and I simply have to make myself stop until I use some of it up unless of course I come across something just perfect and too good to pass up!

Love the lamps and so loving the barn stars!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Just this last week I began thinking the same thing, and have decided that I need a plan. I have been cleaning out for a yardsale in the fall and when my children came home and saw the room, they were a little worried. I have been inspired to do the 31 days to clean over at Like a Warm Cup of Coffee. Maybe we are on inspiration overload.

Cricket said...

I'm calling Dr. Phil, pronto!!! I don't really have a large stash. I have a few things, but I mostly pick stuff up per project. I love, love, love those barn stars, though!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh, such a kindred spirit. I just cleaned out our hall closet and couldn't believe all the finds that I had. I am scared to start on the attic. Tooth paste isn't so bad.:)

Unknown said...

If I were talented like you where I knew that eventually I would find a place that would be perfect...then yes, I would grab things when I saw them...but for someone like me...that perfect item could be "stashed" for years...causing great stress.

Sarah said...

What great treasures! I am working, oh so hard, at being more spontaneous with my purchases. I have a tendency to need things to look the way I want them to when I buy them. With just buying a house though, I am ready for some experimentation!

Marie said...

The beauty of never having to pack ourselves up when we move is not having to acknowledge I have too many things I don't use. lol When we move, the military hires people to wrap it, pack it and move it. Whew.

You have the best stash ever though. :o) I always buy things without a plan. Or I think I have a plan and I have quite a few frames in my garage and closet that will probably never be used. It's a disease. I see I'm not the only one with it though. :o)

Free Art Printables said...

I am they same as you! I have a garage full of lamps, mirrors, sahdes, wall paper books etc. and half of it is Garbage picked. My neighbors call me now before they throw out anything! :) we should start a support group! Jen R

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Nope, you're definitely not the only one! I have boxes of picture frames and at least a couple of extra lamps. I have to curtail myself from more lamps, as I always find good ones at yardsales. I had to get rid of some of my mirror stash when I moved here, but still have a few hiding in the closet that I can't get rid of.

Fellow stashers unite!

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

This is why I'll have so many projects to complete when I retire. I buy fabric, crafts and all those little bargains I'm just not sure what I'll do with. The whole hoarding thing kind of scares me though. Don't tell Oprah about me.

Gretchen

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing this weekend and I'm not even packing or moving. I do this all the time. I want to be better but I just can't resist either.

Love all your stash.

Blanca

Deb said...

Oh, I feel your pain. My husband just shakes his head and says, "Is that something that we needed?" My response to that is that I could be one of those wives who goes out and just spends lots of money on one item all the time, or I could save us lots of money and as a result we have a nicely decorated home. I do tend to buy things that a think will be able to be repurposed, or used as gifts, but I also make sure that I take time out each month to go through that stash and transform those items for the house (my decorating mood every few weeks), or I offer them to people that I am decorating for. They always appreciate the creativeness and the inexpensive price tag that goes along with it.

Anonymous said...

It's goona be ok... Your key word to your hunny was right on... Gifts... Gifts within a budget. I try to limit but it's just so hard... I feel your pain, smile... happy packing! Susie h~

Anonymous said...

What a great stash!

I, too, have hoards of shelves, picture frames, and random other trinkets that I have no plans for at the moment. I'm sure that I will use them one day, but for now, they just collect in random spots in my home.

TrahansRus said...

I have been looking for those color stars for months!!!

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

You are too funny. I enjoyed the post. I also have a few item stashed for a rainy design day....or at least a day the kids are back in school and the baby is napping in her crib day.

Val said...

Tell your husband you are trying to save the family money....that usually works for me. :)

Mary said...

Yes, you will be a crazy, toothpaste hoarding lady...but your house will look awesome!

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know! My across-the-alley neighbor does the same thing. Can't park her car in the garage due to all of it! Me, I put things at the curb regularly. Throw away good stuff like working fax machines and the like because I simply have no room in a garden home to store it. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, hon!
Brenda

Cathy said...

I love your stash!! Great finds and I am SURE you will find something super cute to do with all of it!
I am more of a "pick a project and then find what I need" kind of person but I like the way you work!!

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I posted something on my Blog that I would liketo see you to find and spray paint up. I know that if anyone could find it and spray paint it up it would be you.

After you move and are all set in the new house.

Jo said...

As Nester says, if you love it, buy it even if you don't know what you are going to use it for yet. I doubt you'll fall in love with toothpaste, so I think you're safe there ;-) I have some picture frames and a mirror I rescued from someone's trash. I love your mirror collection. If you ever have a yard sale for this stuff, I'd love to be there!

Kimba said...

My Three Girls (The A Girls) - Your profile isn't public so I can't get to your blog.

Nicole said...

Yea well I'm jealous of your stash. I think I like your way of doing things. I always go looking for just the right piece of furniture and it never happens, you can just go through your stash of cool stuff. Man your getting popular, your blog is darling, you've got me lookin for furniture to refurbish everywhere.

Kelly said...

Oh, I am laughing right now because I am supposed to be in the basement emptying my stash closet for a yard sale.

I obviously share your addiction for frames, mirrors, and lamps. My husband just wants me to use some of it instead of hoarding it in the closet:-)

Heathahlee said...

The toothpaste hoarder thing made me laugh because when I was a teenager my mother would buy toilet paper whenever it was on sale. Pretty soon we had enough t.p. in what I called our toilet paper arsenal that I didn't think we'd ever run out and STILL be able to give to the neighbors.

My husband is currently trying to figure out if I'm in need of a Dollar Tree intervention. I am now the proud owner of 19 birds. And I'm going to use them all in my house. NOW who's the hoarder? No, just kidding. Just stashing these waiting for Christmas. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. : )

Anonymous said...

Great. I already pick up anything white or black or brown or blue, plus lamps, plates and pottery. Now because of that mirror I'm going to have to look for these now. Seriously, love your site and Nesters.

Anonymous said...

ooh that mirror stash is a good one, I am in mirror need at the moment for the cottage, I've actually used every mirror in my stash and am still needing more, I was thinking of going thrifting today but didn't think I could put the kids through it again, we only went on Sat and it's the hols

the lamps look great, I have a stash of those, what I think i should do is buy new shades in cheapy shops so that when I get home with a thrifted lamp I can straight away put it on rather than stick it in the garage til I find a shade

i reckon our husbands get off light, ya know there are some crazy shoppers out there with crazy credit bills! I justify by saying i'm saving our money hahaha...

Christina said...

I'd probably have a stash like that if I had a place to store it. So for now, I just buy what I need, when I need it.

angela | the painted house said...

Look at all your goodies! You are one freak in good company! :)

Kelly said...

ah, sister, I'll happyly hoard and stash along with ya! :)

I do have a quite few in the garage and it does take a lot of my strength not to stash anymore for a while.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Well, if you are going to be crazy, then I will too I guess! I too have "collections" that arent being used, but one day will find the perfect place in my home! I love all the mirrors! They are lovely! :)

Debbie said...

I do the exact same thing you do! I strike when the iron is hot and snatch it up. However, sometimes, by the time I remember I have it, I don't like it anymore. Sigh.

Kristen said...

JUSTIFY!! That is a good stash - it's not a bunch of junk, it's great and inexpensive gifts waiting to happen! But you might want to consider adding deodorant and floss to your toothpaste pile!

Annie said...

I never pass up a good deal on anything! If it's a great deal I snatch it up and store it knowing I will use it eventually. My mom and sister love coming over and going through my garage once or twice a year. They say it's like going a great shopping trip. I'm definitely a hoarder of home decor, but I can always find inspirtaion among my stash!

sheila from life @ #17 said...

well, if you do turn into a toothpaste hoarder, then you will always have fresh breathe...I mean, because you will actually use some of it, right? LOL!

anyhoo, I'm tryin' to break myself just a little bit of "One day"..but it is hard when you find a treasure for just a few bucks!

I expect I'll never really be cured :)

Raquel said...

oh my gosh i have so much stock piled! we just moved and i have found a million candles, frames and vases!

Courtney said...

Kimba - this is so me, too! I can totally relate :-) I don't think I'll ever stash something so practical as toothpaste, though. :-)

The Nester said...

you sound perfectly normal to me. Doesn't everyone do that?

Jennifer P. said...

I hope you don't paint the shiny mercury-glass looking one. It's too pretty! (I don't care about the other ones though--I'm sure with 32 cans of spray paint, you'll have a good selection of colors to hit them with :)!).

And I think that toothpaste would be better than cats....

Anonymous said...

Nope, I do it too...I always tell hubby "Just in case we need it someday" which infuriates him (i don;t understand why he gets so upset, I ALWAYS get a good deal, duh, that's why I buy them!). Glad to know I am not alone!
Janae

J'Ollie Primitives said...

I inherited my mom's fabric stash ~ she volunteered at a neighborhood resale shop and brought home some amazing torn-up and worn out vintage, most of which are still up in the attic waiting to be re-purposed. I make dolls in my non-existant spare time and have some FABULOUS fabrics from her to play with...oh, at and last count there were 14 tubes of toothpaste in the bedroom closet! (cringe)

roxtarc said...

i also pick things up in anticipation... BUT i have a GREAT IDEA FOR ALL THOSE (gorgeous) VANITY MIRRORS...ummmm send em to ME!!!!
;)

Christy said...

My stash is nearly identical to yours! I might actually make my poor hubby read this post to try and convince him that I'm not completely wacko - well, if I am, then I guess you are too! LOL