27 June 2008

Furniture Rehab - A Matched Set

I swear that I do other things besides rehab bits and pieces of thrift store treasures. Occasionally, I feed my children and do my laundry. Occasionally. But I've been on a roll lately and a few of these things have been made as gifts.


That's what I've got for you today. A dear friend is redecorating her young daughter's bedroom in shades of purple and green. She asked me to keep an eye out for a small step stool that would work in the room. This is what I found. Actually not completely hideous but I thought it could work in her room.


And I had one of these in the garage waiting for a makeover. I love to hang these vintage vanity trays on a wall.


Some fabric, some primer, some paint. TA DA!





You know...whenever I do something like this I wonder how long it will take before I look at the new fabric and say, "Ewwwwwww! Yucko! What was that person thinking?" :-)

Next week I'll have Furniture Rehab 101 ready for you. See you then!

40 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Angie's Spot said...

Oh, I LOVE the purple! She's going to love those new additions to her room.

Stop by my blog today...I have a surprise for you! :-)

Caren said...

Really cute Kimba! Nice job! I'm sorry that I have to wait until next week for my rehab lessons though, I wanted to start on my new finds (trash) this weekend. I bought red spraypaint for the dresser and everything! I might have to be brave and tackle it without your tutorial. I found a really cool chair that needs a lot of work and I want an aqua blue paint for it which is proving a little more difficult to find so that one might have to wait. (Kind of like the color of the blue on your blog)

Anyway, I'll look forward to next week!

Trixi said...

Oh, wow, that is so pretty. I would never think purple but with that fabric it works beautifully.
Blessings,
Trixi

Sarah Mae said...

I can't wait for furniture 101! I will be tuning in for that!

You should start a business, you are amazing at what you do - and so inspiring!!!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Too Cute!!That little girl is going to love it. You are definitely on a roll, I have got to get busy. Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Great job, and an awesome color combo! I love doing these projects, too...almost more than doing the laundry....

Heather said...

Are you going to teach us how to paint furniture???? I am SO excited. I would've never thought purple either, but it turned out soooooo cute!!

Marie said...

Wow! I love how you are so bold with your color choices! And it always works!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is ADORABLE!

B

Anonymous said...

What a change! You make me wanna go paint something! have a fun weekend! Susie H~

Christina said...

That's just too cute! Now I want to hit up a yard sale and see if I can find something else to paint.

Liz Harrell said...

Those are absolutely adorable! Please feel free to link a post... you're more than welcome.

Kim said...

Love the purple! I don't get to use those colors since I have two boys. I'm all about the blues.

Unknown said...

Another cute one...I love the use of bright colors...especially for the mirror...and fabric can be changed in a flash...

Tiffany said...

PLEASE tell me where you find your fabric! I love it!!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love the purple. That would look great in my daughter's room - who is also into the purple and green theme. I am looking forward to the furniture 101...and how on earth to spray paint a mirror and not get any paint on the mirror...

Heathahlee said...

I have a looming question...WHERE in the world do you spray paint? Outside where the wind blows bugs and grass and stuff on your freshly painted objects? Or where you get attacked by Other Bees that make you not fall? I'm not speaking from experience or anything. Just asking. Out of curiosity.

Chris said...

Just because of you, I went to a thrift store to look for some furniture in need of love. No luck yet, but you have changed my way of shopping. Kudos on your neew project!

Anonymous said...

Another awesome job! That little girl is gonna love it!

Heather said...

I really love this! You are so creative!! I don't think I would have thought of using the vanity tray! I LOVE the fabric on the stool- is it vintage?
I can't wait for the 101!! I am wondering- when you paint furniture that has drawers or doors do they stick? If not can you share what kind of paint you use? Gallon, spray, finish, brand? You would be a lifesaver!
Oh I would be honored if you linked to my blog!! What a treat!
Have a great day!
-Heather :)

scargosun said...

Believe it or not I FINALLY took pics of the desk. Now I just need to upload them so you can help me.

Caren said...

Thanks Kimba! I got your comment on my blog. That will really help me. I think I was pretty much on the right track but I probably would have spent more time than I needed to with the sanding.

If you ever do decide to come to DW, let me know, we're really close! It is LOTS of fun for the little ones, my guy loved it and it wasn't crowded at all, we had a great time!

Cricket said...

Amazingly beautiful. You are one creative chicky.

Nicole said...

So cute, what a lucky friend you have. Can't wait for the tutorial. I have some of those old vintage lawn chairs the need some serious help.

Trixi said...

Thank you for the comment on my new look. When I get a second I am going to sit down and write a post on it linking to you. I would not have know of about Lena. It is amazing that she does her designs for next to nothing. Everywhere else I looked it would have been atleast $70.00. That's several gallons of paint.LOL Thank you for telling us about her.
Blessings,
Trixi

Tiffany said...

sweet!!! Thanks for adding me to your faves. My blog roll isn't working, but I'm going to get you back on my links list one way or another!

Kristen said...

No ew yuckos here! How could a little girl NOT love that? I think it's a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful transformation, my daughter would love to have something like that! AWESOME job.

Anonymous said...

I love the way this turned out!

I shopped today looking for great finds and I thought of you. However, in Alabama, they must know the value of great pieces like you find. I found nothing under $75! Crazy.

I ended up finding some fun stuff at my thrift store, though, for cheap.

Tabitha said...

In a word: delightful! I want a pair!! I see those mirrors everywhere--my mom had one. Never thought to paint it and hang it-HELLO! Fabulous!!

Courtney said...

*sigh* love it all...especially the color on the mirror. you rock!

Aubrey said...

I've just tuned in to your blog--through a friend who loves what you do. I do too! That pink bench is awe.some.
I was wondering, when you prime, what kind of primer do you use? Spray paint?
Do you spray paint everything? If so, you are the master. Apparently you're the master of a staple gun too.
I'm definitely excited to see what you do in the future.

angela | the painted house said...

Yellow sneakers, purple stool...you must be a happy woman! Love 'em!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

How cute! You are do a wonderful job coordinating your fabrics and paint on the pieces you refurbish! I love the black piece in the previous post!

~Rhonda :)

Trudi said...

They look awesome.

Amy Jo said...

Hey! I have one of those mirrors too! I got it at a garage sale when I was like 7...and it's still hanging around. I've painted it by hand a couple times, but never thought to pick such a brilliant color or to spray paint it. I'm working on a little spray paint/ seat recovering project this weekend, and thought of you. :) You are the queen of make over furniture! Do you have any opinions or experience with painting a PIANO? How scary is that thought....? I have a really old one and don't like the color wood, but I"m not about to move it to the garage to get a make over. Really, I mean my husband isn't about to move it... It's got to stay put in the living room. What do you think? :)

Missy said...

You make me want to find something to spray paint RIGHT NOW! The cats had better run quickly! The purple pieces are so cute and funky - perfect to grow with a little girl.

Kat said...

I have wondered the same thing as Heathahlee. Where in the world do you do all that spray painting that you do????

Mary said...

Great job!

Missi said...

So purple... So CUTE!!!!