09 July 2008

This Post Brought to You by the Letters

S P R A Y P A I N T


Blech!!!




Ahhhhhhh!!!!


YUCK!!!!



Oooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

ICK!!!!!

BETTER!!!!

Have I crossed the line? Have I gone too far? Do I need intervention?

80 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

V and Co. said...

tomorrow i'm going to get white spraypaint!!!! WONDERFUL IDEAS!!!

Heathahlee said...

If you need intervention, so do I, because I am one of your apprentices. I just went and bought every single bird Dollar Tree had. And then went to the other Dollar Tree and left sad because they didn't have any. And have my husband on the hunt at ANOTHER Dollar Tree tomorrow. Sick, sick, sick.

But I will have a beautiful mantel come Christmas!

Anonymous said...

OMGosh! I am totally addicted to spray paint too! I just talked about it on my blog! lol Keep on spraying girl! your a natural! :)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

You are just a genius. Spray paint is the best!

Love your improvements!

Happy day,
melissa

Mrs. B said...

"And by the numbers 1 and 0" (as in perfect 10, because that's what you score for making over these figurines!) Sorry, that was bad, but I couldn't figure out how else to work in anothe Sesame Street reference.

Seriously though, those look great! I'm never going to look at a garish ceramic figurine the same again!

Mrs4444 said...

You really have a creative mind; nice job. That said, are these all on the same shelf together? Maybe you have gone over the edge; I'd have to see the whole ensemble to be sure....

Rae said...

How FABULOUS! I never would have come up with these creative fixes. And Heathlahlee...now I'm off to Dollar Tree today to find some birds for a Christmas mantle. Thanks for the idea!!!

My2Gs said...

I can't even remember how I found your blog :) I love how you're able to look at things with such a creative eye. I would have passed up that rooster in a heartbeat :)

Aunt Colana said...

I just happened across your blog! I LOVE your ideas!

Kat said...

I really need to go buy me something ugly and a can of spray paint!

Trixi said...

No, I think you are definitely on the right path. I have some of those blech items that you may have just given new life to.

Courtney said...

LOL!!! you are cracking me up! love it!

Gina said...

No- I think that's BRILLIANT!!!
you are recycling horrible old stuff and make it new again.
What a fun idea!!!!
Goodwill- here I come!!!!
Watch out all you horrible made in china crap!!!!!!!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

You have given me a whole new perspective on items that I see. I have some paint that makes things look like rust, I should have thought of this before. You are a genius! Way to go!

Cricket said...

Seriously--suddenly Lowe's and Home Depot will not be able to keep spray paint on their shelves!! I was inspired by your post of ugly Goodwill plates being painted white and went out myself and did the same thing this week. I learn so much from your blog--I love it!

Anonymous said...

You don't need an intervention Kimba. I do. What great ideas! I'm going to look at thrift store items in a whole new way starting today. WHITE SPRAY PAINT!

Thanks,
Gretchen

Free Art Printables said...

I say keep going sister! Jen R

Marie said...

Well. You *may* need an intervention....if only for the paint fumes. :o) But you sure brought life back into some seriously... lacking? objects! Looks great. As usual. You should call yourself the Paint Whisperer. hee hee

Christi said...

I LOVE the rooster - after, of course! The things that can be accomplished with spraypaint...

Christi said...

Ack! Wish I'd read the comments before I posted - Heathahlee, thanks for the idea! I'll be bird huntin' now!

Jodi Nelson said...

I am sitting her just shaking my head. Oh my heck! SO SIMPLE yet AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT! How many awesome bargains have I passed up !!!! I'm so excited to see things in a new light! And I'm watching for sales on Spray Paint!!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely not. As a fellow spray painting addict I say keep it up. This is one of the cheapest ways to update or revive things we would otherwise pass up.

Great ideas!

Blanca

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, us spray paint addicts must stick together. I too, am one. Those all look great with your white paint.

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

You know we all have to go and buy birds and spraypaint now cause of you... thank goodness we are spread around the country cause you know how exicited some of us ladies can get... I could see it.. a cat fight in the middle of the dollar tree... yes, thank goodness we are spread all over. Great idea miss Kimba!.. Susie H~ off to catch me some birds and paint them white....

Deb said...

I am starting to love spray paint. Don't like what something looks like? Just spray paint it. Found some frames at Goodwill and spray painted them to transform them. Cheap, cheap, cheap decor. I keep looking around my house at things that need to be spray painted too.

Amy Jo said...

wow... I'm not really partial to roosters, but I've never seen one all white before. It looks great. I was spray painting an old milk can yesterday. I love this 1/2 of the year when the weather allows me to spray paint to my hearts content. What do you do in the winter?

Anonymous said...

You've given busy-hued objects the look of tranquil serenity and elegance!
Brenda

angela | the painted house said...

Should we ever meet in person, please do not cover me in spray paint. :)

I'm sure that previously hideous rooster is kissing your feet for making him so adorable.

Do you have a holster yet for your spray cans?

Jill said...

What a great idea! I love that sweet little bird. And I really love that you have a "spray paint addict" blog category.

Claremont First Ward said...

Such an improvement.......just added you to my blogroll so I don't miss anything! :)

Darlene said...

Kimba,

Seriously, those are TOO CUTE!!! Now who whould have known you could really just spray paint anything?!?! I read a couple of your tutorials and I actually spray painted a little shelf (I will show you on my blog when I get back home)....never realized you could just spray paint anything (I'm starting small)!!! I have several other things that I have wanted to paint for awhile but it just seemed hard cause I thought you had to paint with a paint brush...DUH!!!

But, now I have to go by the Goodwill and Dollar Tree today to see what tacky ceramic stuff and birds I can round up!!

Julie said...

I am so happy that you stumbled upon my site...and that I am getting to know you... you are so funny and I enjoy seeing your projects...I just wish I had space in my small flat to do this, or put stuff anywhere... but one day I will, then it will be so fun...

Jo said...

Intervention? Never! I love that little chickadee (when he's white). I may have to visit the chochke aisle at goodwill sometime soon!

Amy said...

I am really inspired. I have learned so much since I've begun blogging......everything is not always as it seems. You just have to look at it from a different perspective. Great ideas!!

Susan @ Hummingbird Manor said...

Very Cool! I need to rethink some stuff I have...LOL!

Unknown said...

Yet another spray paint addict here...if my kids don't watch out, they might get painted...they have to run quick!

Sole said...

Oh My Goodness, What a wonderful idea! I'm a paint-a-holic too, mostly furniture but this is BRILLIANT! Now I'm off to look for birdies and roosters to paint. ;-)
Thak You!

Anonymous said...

I will never look at a colored rooster the same again :) Spray on girl...right there with ya!

-Hayley

Lacy said...

You so HAVE NOT crossed the line!!!!!! You have crossed over to my hero! I am going to clean out the birds and white spray paint also!

Sarah said...

I happened across your blog the other day and your posts are great. You've totally inspired me. I knew I liked spray paint, but now you've got my head spinning with ideas. Thank you!

Darlene said...

I just wanted to let you know that I thanked you in my post today. I hope you don't mind. :)

Lacey in the Sky said...

Man, I need to hit some garage sales and then grab some white spray paint! I didn't even know spraypaint would hold on some of those with enamel on them? You're a spraypaintin' fool and I love it!

Lacy said...

Girl~ you should try the power sprayer!!!! I am searching for more things to Kimba-ize in my house!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, last time I walked through the thrift store, I was looking at all of the little birdies on the shelf and thought, Which one would Kimba paint? How crazy is that??

To my dismay, there were no good potential birds at the shopping trip.

You're so cool!! -- Brandi

Christina said...

I love the things you do! Heck, I just love your blog! I gave you an award, so stop by my blog and check it out!!

Rue said...

Congratulations on selling the house Kim!!

You crack me up ;)

rue

Shannon said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes! :) No intervention!! Keep going!

Anonymous said...

I love what you've done with spray paint. That rooster is fab - did you spray paint him too? You've got me thinking what I can spray paint now...
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Natalie said...

Simply AWESOME!! After reading your blog for the past few weeks, I now see all things different. With all the colors of spray paint these days, you can make anything work - anywhere! I love it!!

Natalie said...

Simply AWESOME!! After reading your blog for the past few weeks, I now see all things different. With all the colors of spray paint these days, you can make anything work - anywhere! I love it!!

asnipofgoodness said...

WOW what a great idea, and the rooster, can I say extreme make-over ? LOVE THAT!!!! He has a new lease on life, and I see a whole flock of chickens in his future!

duchess said...

They look great & I'm getting some great ideas.
Thanks ladies.

Mary said...

No, not too far. Looks great. Great idea for re-using stuff!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

That's amazing to see how much better things look in solid white. Now I'm ready to go out and buy some cans of white spray paint myself! What a fun post, Kimba. -Julia

Sally said...

This is hilarious - you are such a good teacher! Love the before and after photos. This is great - thank you!

Kitty Scraps said...

Brilliant! Who would have thunk it? Certainly not me... I've passed up a lot of hideous things in my time and to think a 97 cent can of white paint could have turned them into masterpieces. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I guess I am off to the dollar tree tomorrow also! Everything looks great! I LOVE the rooster

Heather said...

I don't think I would have thought to paint these things in a million years!!! But now that you have inspired me once again I think I am going to have to go back to the Goodwill and pick up those ugly birds!!!! AMAZING girl!
NO INTERVENTION!!!!! Keep going and keep sharing!!
-Heather :)

kari and kijsa said...

We are all over the white!! love a little spraycan fever!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

JoAnne said...

ooooo, aaahhhh. You know - it is because of you that as I was walking through one of my favorite bargain stores tonight and I saw a dish that had a pretty shape but ugly colors and thought "I could just spray paint it white". lol. You have started a revolution! Smiles, JoAnne

Elle Jay Bee said...

You did a good thing with that spray paint!! I love spray paint, too... I just painted an old phone pink for my daughter's play house!

Oh, and congrats on the sale of your home!!

Linda

Christina said...

Do *not* step away from the spray paint. Those are very lovely. It is amazing that spray paint can add such sophistication to little dollar store finds. Love your blog!

Lula! said...

Thanks for brightening my day...and alerting me to the joys of spray paint. Do you by any chance know Infarrantly Creative? 'Cause y'all appear to be separated at birth, and she's one of my "real life" BFFs, so you are definitely MY kind of people.

aimee said...

Spray paint rocks!
How many brain cells do you think us junkies are killing every time we spray a home accessory? Hmmmm...

ugagirl30 said...

I know. We're sick. I bought the small birds today too, without seeing them on this post. They didn't paint as well as the others, but look so much better white!!! Do you see what mad women you have turned us into? When there is a crime spree by spray paint-wielding women, they are so gonna arrest you for being the ringleader.

I've actually had someone else ask me to direct them to this site so they could see what I was talking about.

Annie said...

It's amazing what a can of spray paint can do! You can look past the ugly paint colors or finish of something, and see a pretty form. I do this often, I actually just re-finished a cheap-o cabinet. I should have pics up soon. Keep on sharing, You have great ideas. I'm so glad I found your blog!(via nester)

Monkey Giggles said...

ahhhhh. I agree much better. What's next?

Unknown said...

I just discovered your blog! Looks like you have some wonderful content. Think I'll add you to my blog roll!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

I'll be looking through this weeks garage sales with a new eye! Thanks!

Pam Hawk said...

More! More!!





...please?

Heather said...

Oh my stars and hearts LOOK at all these comments, Kimba!!! I must chime in my love for spraypaint as well. Everything looks better spraypainted!!

Missy said...

Do you think I could spraypaint my husband's little Revolutionary War figures that sit in our curio cabinet? It might improve the look, no? (:
Everything you share is GREAT!
The little birds are my favorite.

Cathy said...

I LOVE it!! Everything looks great!
I have been reading your blog for a while now and loving it! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh HONESTLY!!

I am so going to look for some homely birdies. :)

Thanks for another great post!

Anonymous said...

Nuh-uh, you can spray paint glass?!?! Did you use a special spray?
Janae

Kimba said...

Janae - Nope, nothing special. Just regular old spraypaint.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Oh my gosh! You are brilliant! I am going to goodwill right now!

Hey, where's your blinkie? I sent you the code didn't I? Or did I forget?

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Missi said...

They are all adorable!... Actually I personally don't like the citrus tower, but I really love that little birdie :)

Amy Eileen said...

You seriously have me laughing out loud and my man is giving me funny looks. I tried to explain but apparently I am not good. I am heading to the dollar store for sure today. Thanks for the inspiration! :)