10 July 2008

Seashore Decor

In honor of doing a little summer decorating, I'll show you a few pictures direct from the beach house that we rent with the whole family each summer. It's a nice house and the owners do quite a bit of decorating so here we go...

Got a bunch of seashells that you don't know what to do with?

Well, jam 'em all in a lamp! I think I've seen these kind of lamp bases at Michaels. You can fill them with anything.

Got a weird clampy thing on a wooden base? And really, who doesn't?

Stick a pretty seashell in it and call it art! This one is a little creepy to me for some reason.

Got a bunch of heavy (really heavy) metal shells and sea creatures?

Toss 'em all in a basket and put it on the coffee table. Just make sure that your boys don't mistake the starfish for some sort of Chinese throwing star. Man! That could make a big dent! Not that mine did, of course. They were helping me wash the dishes and memorizing bible verses when that happened.

25 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Joy said...

Oh my gosh... you are too funny.. ok.. now what did the bedding look look like... I want to make my spare room beachy... because I live near the ocean... I cant figure out what to do.

Kitty Scraps said...

Too funny! Sounds exactly like something my son (or even husband) would do!

Deanna said...

The seashells in the basket are a great idea!

Cricket said...

"The claw" IS creepy! It looks like some sort of torture device!

Anonymous said...

Girl you crack me up!!! Hope yall are having fun. I know you didnt bring that spray paint with you to the beach..... Susie H~

Unknown said...

I'm doing the MB in a beach cottage theme...I just filled a large vase with sand, a layer of small shells the kids collected from the beach in Florida, and then put larger shells we purchased in FL on top...it looks GREAT!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, the one in the middle scares me a little too.

The shells in the basket are nice, but my son would be the one to throw the star, so a no go at my house...

-- Brandi

Ann said...

I am not into sea shells myself, but maybe thats because I live in florida.

The claw is just that, It's a claw to grab things with. Like big blocks of ice. I think the way they have it displayed is a bit odd.

Annie said...

Hey Kimba thanks for stopping by my blog! It's nice to see comments.

Cute beach decor...I agree with cricket though, that clamp thing looks like a torture device! I like the basket of shells on the table, but it wouldn't last long around here! I can definitely relate to the 'throwing star'!

Thanks for sharing....and thanks for inspiring.

Amy said...

Very good ideas, thanks!

Mary said...

Hi Kim: Cute ideas. Don't you hate it when you rent a house and spend too much time thinking about how you would rearrange, redecorate it? Looks like this one had a lot going for it already...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love those seashells in the basket. I even love the basket!

Brandee :-)

Heathahlee said...

I'd rather have the basket the metal shells are in than the shells themselves! I have to agree with the others...torture devices are not art. I guess it's all in the perspective.

I have some perfect sand dollars I collected in Gulf Shores, AL (I have NEVER been able to find perfect sand dollars!) and don't know how to display them. They are only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches across so they are very delicate, and I don't want them to break. So they've been stuck in my dresser for three years. Boo me. Any ideas?

Merrie said...

That sounds just like me the time someone threw a plastic plate and broke a tile on our fireplace. I was just memorizing bible verses...

;)

My mom has one of those glass lamps, and she filled it with polished rocks that my grandfather had made. Unfortunately, when she ran out of rocks and needed more to put in, she put in some old marbles. That just...wasn't a good call. But she's happy.

Sarah Mae said...

Great ideas, as usual! I really like the lamp idea, but using it to fill with different items at differnt times of the year.

Unknown said...

Hey Heathalee...put your sand dollars in a memorabliea frame...take it to a frame shope and they can tell you how to attatch them to the back.

katylinvw said...

lol! that's great! (i really do like the lamp!)

Darlene said...

You are too funny about the starfish. lol.... I need to go find my shells and put them out because it sure makes a summery, fresh look.

Oh and **blush** I said your name in my blog AGAIN today. I promise you I won't use your name tomorrow....he he

Debra from Bungalow said...

Loved all the ideas for decorating with shells. I thought that graping thing looked interesting! I thought it looked like what they used to use to measure a pregnant woman's belly!!!!

Your spray painted things look great! I've been known to grab some spray paint too...such a handy thing!


I'm sure your boys are absolute angels, Hugs, DebraK

Anonymous said...

hmmmm i thought oh yeah that shell thing is a good idea I need something for the coffee table in my beach cottage...then I read about the starfish and thought my 6 yr old would do something just like that so maybe its not such a good idea...

i laughed at the spraypaint thing, I only just discovered this art and I have been attacking anything in my wake with the can, if anyone stands still, they're in trouble, we call it the Power of Paint at the cottage

love your blog

Debbie said...

You are right about the second one...CREEPY..And it's called ART?I love the last display, though.

Unknown said...

I do like the basket with the shells!

Nicole said...

You are a blogging machine. I now want an old piano bench more than you can imagine. Hmmm, that second one is sorta creepy, it looks like forceps or something. I wonder how they came up with that little piece of art.

emily freeman said...

You are so funny. I am finally getting around to updating my google reader and you are the first one to go in!

Missi said...

'Got a weird clampy thing on a wooden base? And really, who doesn't?' That was hilarious! That one creeps me out too. Kind of like "Watch what you say to me, or this could be your head!"