14 July 2008

Seashore Decor - Part Deux

Well, we're back from vacation. It was a great week! Some sun. Some rain. A fun week with lots of family. But it's nice to be home sleeping in our own beds.

While we were there I visited a couple of high-end decor stores with my husband's cousin's wife. What does that make us? Cousin-in-laws? Regardless, she loves decorating as much as I do so it was great fun. Hi Kathy!

Of course, I'm way to frugal - OK, I'm cheap - to pay beach-town-fru-fru-decorator prices for anything. But I got some fantastic ideas.

One of the stores had all of these little seashell garlands hanging from it's shelves. They were very simple, pretty and summery. I just loved them and thought I could do something similar myself.

So I did...



I bought some sand dollars from the tacky beach shop for 99 cents each and strung them on a ribbon that I already had. This one couldn't have been easier.



The sand dollars already have holes where you can run ribbon. I just knotted the ribbon behind each sand dollar to hold it in position.


Easy peasy!

38 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Debbie said...

Again, what a great idea. The possibilities are endless with that! Now that you are back from vacay, let the packing begin!

Rae said...

Love that! So simple yet so pretty!!

Anonymous said...

just today i was in one of those fufu stores, they wanted $30 for a seashell, I tried to 'drink' in the styling and ideas, Ive decided next time I'm taking my camera, and next time I'm on the beach I will collect sea shells for my own string just like yours, great blog love it....

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Great garland! We visit the beach often so I know about those fru-fru high beach prices, but the ideas are endless! Glad you're back and can't wait to see the new house. Happy packing!

vivi said...

kimba! how nice...!if you visit my blog you will see i'm in love with all sort of seashells, and i'm painting a mirror frame full of them :D
we don't have here in argentina those beautifull sandollars
kisses

Kitty Scraps said...

Cute idea! And totally easy-peasy! Welcome back from vacation!

trish said...

Adorable! Thank you for sharing the idea! ~Tricia Anne

Darlene said...

Cute idea and very beachy. Hope you had a great vacation.

Ann said...

That is a great Idea. I can only imagine how much they wanted for that. Your looks just as pricey.

Mary said...

Clever idea. And I love the simplicity of sea shells...so pretty.

Jackie ♥ said...

Kimba,

Thanks for your kind words and prayer this morning..I really do appreciate it! :) I will pray your move goes smoothly and that you can be at peace during this time...I know how hard it is.

I also wanted to say I love your sand dollar garland. We have been to the beach at different times and have collected sand dollars and shells and never really knew what to do with them...you've given us a great idea. Thanks!!

Have a blessed day!

Shannon said...

So sweet and simple with a huge impact. Love it!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I am still at the beach...and I marvel at some of the "decorating" for a beach house. But then, maybe it's just me. And thanks for the vacuum cleaner contest link. I so need a vacuum that actually sucks...

Sarah Mae said...

That's a cool beachy idea - I like the simple beach themes, not over the top, and the sand dollar garland is perfect! Thank you for your great ideas...and for the shout out! :)

Amy said...

Very cool decor. Nice.. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad that yall are back at home safe and sound... Im sure you are now glowing from a sweet tan... I got mine from cutting the grass...smiles... I love decor that reminds me of the beach... That sandollar art is such a nice reminder of all the nice momories of this past week...Cant wait to see what you will be up to next... Im off to work on pumkin' tassels... cant wait to show yall!

Heathahlee said...

Now I know what to do with mine! They aren't that big but they will look so sweet with ribbon through them. Now to figure out where to put them...

Nicole said...

Cute Idea, I'm afraid if I tried it, I'd end up with a pile of broken Sand Dollars.

Jen said...

Ohhhh! So cute! Love that decorating hack! I'm heading to the beach for the day this week...I'll have to pick up some cheap sand dollars!

Tiffany said...

Soooo pretty!

Unknown said...

love that. Very cool!

Gretchen said...

Once again, FABULOUS. And CHEAP. LOVE those two together!

Check out my blog tomorrow, as I will post about some spray paint treasures that YOU inspired.

Trixi said...

Im glad you made it home safely! Your garland is so cute and so easy! Thanks for sharing.

Jo said...

Oh, beautiful! What a gorgeous garland. I'll have to try it with some of my Dolarama seashells.

Jo said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have given you an award. Come check it out!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Glad you're home safe and sound! I loved the garland idea. I may just have to "borrow" this one for my lake house redo! :)

~hugs, Rhonda

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Love, love, love it! Now if only our beach trip wasn't canceled...hmm...what else could we string? Thanks...I have 3 upcoming posts that will be dedicated to you, and you need commission on all the spray paint that I have purchased.:)
Balancing beauty and bedlam,
Jen:)

Anonymous said...

Very summery. I bet it would look cute with some rope/twine stuff. Or maybe raffia. I was thinking something with some tan/brown in it. Would that be too hard to thread thru the sand dollar? Oh, well, thinking out loud here.

Do love the way it looks and the fact it was easy peasy. Now, shouldn't you be packing???

-- Brandi

angela | the painted house said...

Now if that isn't as fresh as a sea breeze at dawn, I don't know what is! So how much was the frou-frou one??? We want to know how much $$$ you saved.

Anonymous said...

This is so cute. I may try and do this. We live 2 block from the beach and it would look so cute.
Thanks for the idea!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Gina said...

Pretty!!! I like that idea. My guest room is all "beachy"- want people to feel like they're on vacation in a cute little seaside cottage, even though they're in boring, landlocked Cincinnati!! (we do have the river across the street...) so I may have to add some sand dollar garlands onto my window treatments or something!!

Anonymous said...

What a cute and simple idea. It' perfect for summer!

Brandee :-)

The Chatty Housewife said...

If the sand dollars leak sand onto your floor, I have found it helps to place tape over the holes (there are two holes in the back of the sand dollars here in the NW, but ours are a different type than yours.)

Deanna said...

OH!!! That's an awesome idea! That's perfect for that last wall in the bathroom!

Kristen said...

Love it - that is such a fun garland!

Lula! said...

As always...a fabulous and beautiful idea. Why can't I think of this stuff? Oh, I know...'cause God gives all these ideas to you and Beckie. Yes, that's it.

Katie said...

I'm in love with that! I have to flat-out copy you on it! THANKS!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

You RAWK girl! I love your ideas. This is simple adorable and totally something I could handle. I'm not crafty so I love anything that doesn't involve glue guns or other dangerous weapons.

xoxo