29 July 2008

Now I Love Them More

I'm still packing furiously but here's a little bit of something that I did for my younger son's bedroom.

I bought these adorable paintings before my first son was born. I loved them then and I still do. But I always thought they lacked a little heft. When I hung them on the wall, they looked like they needed a little something else.

I kept thinking that I would mount them on a canvas that I painted or covered with scrapbook paper but I'm just too cheap to buy three canvases and I never seem to find them on sale. I saw foam core at Target and thought I could make that work.






I cut it into 12x12 pieces and painted the edges with brown paint. Then I covered each one with scrapbook paper and mounted the paintings on top.



I love them more this way.




post signature

43 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Amber said...

Very cute! The new mountings totally dressed them up and made them really stand out!

Deb said...

Those are so cute. Mounting them that way really makes them more substantial. I love the way it looks.

Lacey in the Sky said...

Well they were cute to begin with but I love them now!

Tausha said...

CUTE! I love the idea of the foam backing board. What dept do you pick that up in and how much did it cost. Was it easy to cut? I agree, definately adds a punch of something special. Thanks for answering all of my dumb questions

Kristen said...

Those are so sweet - the new mountings really makes the pictures pop! I love an easy fix like that!

Jennifer P. said...

Foam core is an AWESOME stand in for canvas. How long until the art people realize we craft people are using their stuff and mark the price up like they did with canvas?!

I love the giraffe on orange best :)!

Anonymous said...

it's amazing what mounting does isn't it, I always think that...

Marie said...

They look great like that! Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the house.

Happy unpacking! :o)

Deidre said...

Those are precious! What a great idea. They look much better now :)

Monkey Giggles said...

those are darling.

Kimba said...

Since a few of you asked and I forget to tell you...

The foam core was in with the school supplies area and was about $2.50 per sheet. Each sheet was the size of a piece of posterboard. It's very easy to cut using an x-acto knife.

Sarah Mae said...

Seriously, why didn't God give me the creative gene?

Sarah said...

I liked them before, but your special touch adds so much. I'll have to think about that the next time I think something needs a little extra something!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

They are great and sure have some pizzaz now. Wonderful idea!

Unknown said...

You are giving me so many good ideas..I have often seen pictures that just lacked something...Oh now I'm going to need to start filling my empty walls.

Caren said...

Good job! They look really sweet. I *heart* foam core!

Anonymous said...

Morning, Kimba! Oh, you little creative one! These little paintings looks so awesome like this! You're grrrrrrreat!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Christina said...

They do look much better! Smart thinking!

Val said...

I love it! Now i want to know how you covered them with the scrapbook paper...it looks like the edges are wrapped?

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Great idea like always. They look cute.

Carry Grace said...

Very cute! They love the added pattern.

Heathahlee said...

LOVE them! So are they now in your son's new room?

Claremont First Ward said...

You're a design genius. They look so incredibly cute.

Courtney said...

me too! that looks great. How in the world do you have time to do this kind of thing while packing?? I'm going to have to start calling you Wonder Woman.

Amanda Jo said...

These are great!!!! You're so creative!!

Anonymous said...

I love them more too!!

Super cute idea. When is your official move in date? I'm excited for you.

-- Brandi

I am Mom said...

So great! Im going to pull out some of my old pictures and try that.

scargosun said...

They look wonderful and give the paintings added dimension.

Linda said...

Great idea and they were nice before but now they really pop. I did something similiar with particle board. I had three pieces cut equally and painted them. Then used double sided tape to mount the pictures on the board. I just love your blog so inspiring.
Blessings,
Linda

ohhollyf said...

Adorable, inspiring LUV it !
Thanks for taking time to post them, gave me a great idea.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Oh, I love them so much more now too! So cute! :) I swear, I just might wallpaper my house with scrapbooking paper!hehe
Today must be "art project" day on blogs, I just posted one too! hehe

Merrie said...

Those are cute! And great on the purple -- they really stand out.

PS I tagged you with a MeMe -- hope you don't mind! :)

Kitty Scraps said...

Clever idea!

Gina said...

super cute!!!

Chris said...

I love it when such a simple idea can change a look so much! Well done!

Darlene said...

That made those adorable hangings even better!!! How cute!! Gosh, I just don't know how you come up with creative ideas one after another....I am seriously lacking in that department. Love seeing what you do all the time!! Thanks for sharing.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Sounds like I'm behind your move by about one month! In the middle of complete chaos right now (mentally as well) preparing for garage sale. Will start packing after that...

Your project reminds me of a covered canvas thingy somewhere...Ooooo I need to look it up?? Maybe it was on your site even??

duchess said...

Beautiful job & very creative.

Debbie said...

What a great idea Kimba! I am so impressed that you are packing and blogging. I just got caught up on your last few posts and I had to laugh about Mrs. Jones...she lives about two miles from me and I saw her the other day. I am going to post about the sighting this week!

Lula! said...

Why don't you have your own TV show? That's the real question.

Love these, Kimba...I would've never thought of this.

AJ said...

Love what you did with those! They really pop!

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

Oh! What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Jones said...

That solution turned out better than canvas or foam. Well done!

~Heather