05 June 2008

It's So Simple

Why do I make it so hard?

I'm stressed. There. I've said it. I'm stressed. If you read my blog or know me in real life, you probably already know this. We're selling a house and building a house and the selling part isn't going as well as we would like. Our new home is getting closer to completion and we're going to have some major decisions to make if this one doesn't sell soon.

My stomach churns when I think about this. I've lost countless hours of sleep. I struggle. I wrestle. I get irritated. I try to fix things. And then today, I read this.

Philippians 4: 6-7 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

If you're a Christian, you probably know those words. I've read them many, many times. I know them by heart. So why don't I apply them consistently?

We prayed for a long time before we made the decision to move forward with this process. We felt peace about it. But now that things aren't going exactly as we thought they would, I forget to take my anxiety to the Lord. I forget to ask for His peace. Not just ordinary run-of-the mill peace. But peace that transcends all understanding.

That's what I want.



Charles Swindoll says in his Day by Day devotional, "Prayer is the single most significant thing that will help turn inner turmoil into peace."

It's so simple. Why do I make it so hard?

18 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Debbie said...

I just had a little cry session not just ten minutes ago about all that I have to do today...I have painters coming, kids projects, chores, the list goes on. I never read blogs this early but something prompted me to go over to my laptop and click on your blog...no one else's... and God had a purpose in mind for that. He wanted to put that verse in front of me this morning so that I don't start my day anxious. Thank you for being the instrument He used to talk to me today. I pray for your heart to be calmed today as well.

Marie said...

I can't even imagine how stressful all of that must be for you! (((hugs)))

I think you are very right- we are going to love our covered porch. I love it already...it's trashy trailer park self! :o) ha ha

Heathahlee said...

How funny that Kat, you, and I all three posted within the past week things we struggle with. Thank you for sharing your heart and what the Lord showed you. Praying for you!

Amanda Jo said...

Kimba,

You're speaking my language. I have a chronic problem of not *cringe* trusting my Lord. I have faith in Him but I consistantly worry and stress myself until I'm sick.

I can only imagine the stress that you and your family are going through.

Those are wise words from ol' Chuck - he's an amazing man and always has great insight.

I'll be praying for you today and even though it sounds cliche, what I'm about to say is the truth: God DOES do all things for the good of those who believe in Him.

Kat said...

Awwwww kimba. I do hope you find rest in His peace. I struggle with the same thing at times.

Ps. 56:3 When I am afraid, I will trust in You.

Ps. 94:19 When anxiety was great within me, Your consolation brought joy to my soul.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

You have a beautiful home. It will sell, the right buyer will be coming along any day now.

Tangee said...

I'm so sorry about the stress you are going through, but I love how you find comfort in God's words. Thank you for sharing those. We are human, it is expected that we will be anxious, but you found God's comfort in His words. I hope your house sells soon.

Merrie said...

I love how God led you to just the right verse. I love Amy Grant's reading of a modern version of this verse: "Don't worry, whatever's gonna come. Just tell God every detail, and His peace will come to you."
Being in the same boat of needing a house to sell desperately, your blog was sent to me at just the right time. Thank you for sharing this.

Jill said...

Good Morning! I love the bench you fixed up. The material is precious. I noticed the same thing about the curtain rods. I am going to do that in my new house....whenever we get to start building....it is STILL raining!
~Jill

Cindy said...

You are a breath of fresh air for me! Thank you for your blog - I have just read the entire thing.

I have the same "worry" problem, and need to remember that prayer is my first resource, not my last resort. God is in control!

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We forget because we are human. We take all the big huge life and death things to Him. We forget that he wants the little stuff too. He wants us to lean on Him each day when we're trying to clean our house for the 1,000th time for someone to come look at your house. He wants to hold our hand so we do not loose patience with our children. He wants to stroke our hair as we cry.

Thanks for your honesty. I need to remember some of the very same things.

-- Brandi

Deb said...

Hi Kimba, I am so glad I landed here. You'll never know how much I needed this scripture, I am going throuh yet another trial, so say a prayer for me. Deb

Julie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing. I appreciate your words and I have been thinking lately like Abraham offering up Isaac and God just wanting him to obey him in the sacrifice. This is how I feel... that I just need to obey and trust no matter what. It isn't easy, we all have our stresses... Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know you. Where in PA are you from? I lived for a year in Bucks County, Doylestown. julie

Nicole said...

I think I need to have that one framed. Sometimes it is so hard to turn things over to the Lord, yet it would save us so much heartache if we would learn to. I guess that part of the whole learning process of life. I appreciated that scripture. (Do all Christians call them scriptures or just Mormons?)

Gina said...

I think this is one of the hardest things for us to do, because it means releasing our control and letting God be in control. I'm a fixer, too- so it's HARD!
But- you are seeking the right things, and God will allow all the pieces to fall into place at just the right time. HIS time.
Meanwhile, enjoy the peace.

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba. I think selling and building can be stressful under the best of circumstances! I think anyone would be stressed, so don't feel bad. I just know that things will work out for you!

Anna Maria Junus said...

We make it so hard because we want to know the plan and we don't know what His plan is, so then we stress out because we don't know what to do.

It's part of the growing process.

ugagirl30 said...

We all forget to take our anxieties to the Lord. We just discussed this in Sunday School last week. That although God knows our hearts, he wants to hear from us. Things will work out, and your faith will get you through until it does.