03 June 2008

Hang 'em high

So we all know how our favorite decorating diva, The Nester, is always telling us to hang our window treatments (or mis-treatments) up high. It gives the illusion of larger windows and a higher ceiling. I'm completely on board with that when the fabric covers the trim above the window like her beautiful mistreaments here and here.

But in the back of my mind, I was always thinking, "Yeah, but what about my curtains that are actually hung on rods and get opened and closed for privacy or light control?"

Wouldn't they look weird if they were hung way up above the trim?

As I was walking around the model home that I told you about last week here, I noticed that the fancy-schmancy designer hung her treatments way up there. I thought, "Holy schnikies! She's right! They don't look weird at all! They look great!"

Look at this one in the kitchen. That rod is hung a good 12 inches above the top of the trim.


This house has 9 foot ceilings, but it would work with standard ceilings if you just keep the proportions the same. About 3/4 of the wall above the trim is below the rod. Does that make sense? Here's the family room. Same thing! Looks great!


And here's what she did upstairs where there are standard height ceilings. First the master bedroom. The proportions are the same even though the ceiling height is lower.



And another bedroom.


Anyway, I just thought some of you might like to see these pictures. That Nester. Right as always.

19 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I found you via SITS...and of course had to comment. I am so not crafty...so I usually don't read her site. But, I really do like the up high curtains. And actually, we don't usually do curtains here...but I hang my blinds above the frame, too. It really does give the illusion of much higher windows and walls.

Caren said...

I too love the Nester! I love her mistreatments but I just can't get on board with hanging them high unless you don't see the top of the window, that is. I think that's what's great about The Nester though, she gives great suggestions that you can use or not and as long as you make your house your home, it's all good. I love her saying, "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful".

Kimba, you have some great ideas yourself and I also really enjoy checking out your blog! Thanks!

Staci said...

sits friend here too!!! hmmmmm inter esting.....i like that!!! thanks for takin pictures of it!!!

Heathahlee said...

Love the way the curtains are hung...mine are actually hung a bit above the window, as well, but only because they are tab top and we realized that hanging them on a rod right at the trim would leave spaces between the top of the curtain and the trim. Duh! But I do like the way they turned out. Now if I could just find some fringe to "glue gun" onto the bottom! :)

Candid Carrie said...

Hello! I drifted over here from SITSer Island. Loveley place you've got here. I have visited the nest in the past and stole an idea or two.

I have no drapes because I live in the woods. We have accordian blinds for privacy and that totally distorts our naked shapes to those that accidentally pulled into our driveway.

Thanks for the hang 'em high hints and maybe if I raise the accordian blinds I will appear taller and thinner to the herd of deer that cut through our property.

Tausha said...

You are right on the money! It is amazing what a little height will do for a room. I love the nester and all of her fun facts. I have a fun crafty very smart lady on my blog who has awesome ideas also. You should go and check her out. If you go to my blog-she is on my sidebar Joys of living. SHe has some great stuff. Found you through Sits, but I think I have come across your blog before! Sweet! Have a fantastic day!!

katylinvw said...

i found you through SITS, too! - gotta love the Nester, she's great!

Jennifer P. said...

Came over from SITS. That Nester is always right. Glad to have known her when she had about 3 readers! Thanks for the pictures of the fancy-schmancy curtains. If only my children wouldn't wind themselves up in them and use them for napkins, I think I would like to have them :)!

Angie's Spot said...

Thanks for some great decorating advice! I'm so horribly challenged in that area, so it's nice to have some news I can use. Found you via SITS.

Kat said...

Kimba,
You know all my of discontentment saga! However, upon the day that I finally get some curtains in my house, I'll definitely consider hanging them high! Our kitchen cabinets go all the way to the ceiling and it gives the same "high ceiling" effect. I love it. (I also love not having that space above the cabinet where you have to put stuff to decorate!)

I think you should hop in that mini-van, take a nice drive south. Thank you for such kind words when revealing the ugliness of my heart :)

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! That really does look nice. Especially if you've got nice trim around the window, it really shows it off. Gotta love that model home inspiration! I'm glad you showed the bedroom pics with the standard height ceilings because that's what I've got all through my home. The only bad thing is that the longer length curtains (or extra fabric) cost so much more!

The Nester said...

Oh, I'm so glad that you thought to take your camera! It so helps to see it in real life in a "professional" environment!

I had to get used to seeing wall under the rod at the top but now, I like it and use that space to hang plates or let spiders make their webs and such. Thanks for the inspiring photos!

Nicole said...

I love the curtains, but for those of us who arn't great sewers, when are they going to start making drapery panels that you buy longer, so I don't have to unpick the hem?

Merrie said...

What a great blog! I'm so glad I found you through SITS! Looking forward to future posts. God bless! :)

Finding Normal said...

Found you on SITS--Love the Nester, covet her mistreatments. I keep thinking if I stare at them long enough, I can make my own. I have yet to actually try it. I cruised the fabric in Hobby Lobby today, but just couldn't go there. One of these days...

Tiffany said...

You are getting some SITS love! That makes me so happy. I LOVE those polka dot curtains and I love walking through model homes.. I know you are lookin' to buy... I am just lookin' to copy!

And, the Nestor commented.. wow. You are like famous.

Anonymous said...

Looks great!

Deb said...

Beautiful post, lovely drapes, and great ideas. Thanks for posting now I know what to do to make my rooms look beautiful. It really brings about a change. Deb

Cookie said...

Came through SITS and I do have to agree that it does look good. I have 9ft ceilings too, but my trim is very thick on top so I put mine on my trim.