25 June 2008

Furniture Rehab - Do What YOU Like

I had so much fun fiddling with my new blog yesterday but now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I am working on a series of tutorials on furniture rehab. I should have the first one done next week. In the meantime, I thought I'd show you a piece that I worked on over the weekend.

Most of the things I've showed you lately have been so brightly colored that you'd probably never guess that I usually paint everything black. This one is more the norm for me.

I found this handsome table at my favorite flea market store a few months ago for $10. I loved the detailing on the drawers and the chunky legs (now there's a phrase that no lady likes to hear).


I primed him and then gave him a couple of coats of black satin spray paint.
I had planned to change the hardware but after I finished painting him, I decided that the old hardware was actually beautiful.

The paint job isn't perfect. If you look closely, you can see some drippy marks. But I highly doubt that anyone looks that closely at my furniture. And if they do, they're way more likely to notice dust over the drippy paint.
The reason I titled this post "Do What YOU Like" is this. I know many people in my life who would have seen that table and said, "You can't paint that!" or "You'll ruin it's value!" or "It's an antique! Don't mess with it!" I didn't show him to those people.

If I had listened to any one of them, I wouldn't have a great little table that I now love. It was certainly a handsome little table and it probably is an antique. And yes, it very well may be mahogany. But as it was before, it just didn't fit into my house. I wouldn't have wanted it the way it was. You have to make things your own. This little guy was a bargain and there was no reason not to make him into something I love.

Now I'm not telling you to go paint great-grandma's china cabinet (or maybe I am). But the monetary value of something is really irrelevant unless you plan to sell it. Me - I plan to live with my stuff and pass it on when I'm done with it. I'd rather live with something that I love than with something someone else says is valuable.

Edited to add: I just realized that my post on spray painting plates is being featured on
Tip Junkie today. Stop by and check out all the other great tips! And she's getting ready to start a 20 Day Giveaway to celebrate Tip Junkie 's 1st birthday!

44 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kat said...

I'll be by in a little while to take that lovely little jewel from you. Oh, and I want the bird house sitting on top, too.

Love it :)

Sarah Mae said...

Ug, my blog is in ugly land right now, so it's a pleasure to come over here and see more of your beautiful work. I thought of you yesterday and therefore bought an old picture frame thing and intend to send you a picture of it so you can tell me what you would do with it!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a beauty painted black. I would love to do the same tih my kitchen chairs I just have to build up the nerve. I do think it looks very nice and I can see why you love it so much! Susie H~

Caren said...

I love it, I also love when you paint things the bright colors that you might not usually find furniture in. That's really MY style.

You will be so proud of me. My friend and I were driving around last night and we saw someone who had two really cool pieces of furniture out for the trash...that's right, trash! Wait until you see this chair and dresser that my friend put in the back of her mini-van for me! I cannot wait to work on them! What kind of paint do you use? (I know it's spray paint) and where do you get it? You get some really nice colors!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful job you did!

Angie's Spot said...

Very well put and a very cute table! :-)

Unknown said...

Wow..that's really great advice. I know a lot of people tend to NOT turn something they like into something they LOVE because of $$ value...truth is, value is always in the eye of the beholder...now if I could just convice DH to paint that old ice box...Can you help??

Unknown said...

That table is gorgeous, and I want it! I can't tell you how many times when people have come to my house, they've said, "Oh, I would've never thought of painting that", or some similar comment. I love to paint my furniture, black being my favorite, and, well, yes....shhh...I even paint brick!! I know!!

Christina said...

It looks great! I'm going to attempt to do my table and chairs today. Wish me luck. I'm scared!

Anonymous said...

What a fun little table. Those legs look like my chunky legs. Too Cute.

Blanca

Chris said...

Love it, Kimba! I totally agree. That little table would still be sitting at the flea market if you didn't believe in painting it. You gave it a home!

Anonymous said...

Uggh...ok, I'm supposed to be cleaning today on my day off...but now I'm also planning a trip to a thrift store.

Your table looks great!

And HOW did you know I had my grandma's china cabinet?
Now you are talented AND clairvoyant?

Trixi said...

Kimba,
As usual, that is a beautiful piece. You do an amazing job. I would love to go flea market shopping with you.LOL
Blessings,
Trixi

The Nester said...

I couldn't have said it better myself! Like for real girl, you have a way with words!

Thank you so much for telling the world to do what THEY want and not what the pretend rules say they should do!

Liz Harrell said...

Amen sister. I agree totally. I've always said that life is too short to live with things in your house you dont love. I told my family members long, long ago, "If you dont want it painted, dont give it to me." :)

Melissa Lee said...

Uhhhh...this post is neither about restoring furniture or making something. Trust me. The world does not need that.

It is, however, to tell you your blog design is perfect. It fits the look and feel of your blog. It even fits your blog title perfectly. It's soothing and calming and you should be proud!!

Melissa at Stretch Marks

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Okay...so I've clearly established that I am not crafy or creative...and that I have no vision at all...BUT I can appreciate a job well done. I love all the things you've done. But I have to ask...how often are you involved in a project? Do you get things you like and then figure out what to do with them - or do you go looking for some sort of table to put in your hall?

Heather said...

I LOVE the black paint. In my opinion it "made" the little table. I'm like you. It might be an antique, but I'm going to do what I want with it.

Lulu said...

strange that i stumbled across your blog and this post, because i have an oak dining table and china cabinet that i really want to paint black, i am SO doing it now! thanks for posting this

Tiffany said...

I absolutely agree! Just last night I decided to paint my great-grandmothers antique ironing board. I can't decide on a color, but that's another story. :) The point is, it's my house and I'll do what I like, thank you very much.

The table looks great! Will you post a tutorial on how to spray paint? I stink at it.

Nicole said...

I love it, it looks wonderful. And i'm glad that I'm not the only one who has drips when I spray paint. I'm wishing I had a car today, your post makes me want to try and refurbish something.

Jill said...

I love your new look! It is beautiful! Love the furniture overhall...the black is real nice, looks like European Shabby Chic, LOL!
~Jill

aimee said...

I have those voices in my head too.
The table is gorgeous black! You my dear are a spray paint rebel. LOVE IT!!!

Kim said...

I love how the table turned out. I too love to paint things black. I think 3 out of 4 things I paint end up black.

Cricket said...

Wow! That's beautiful. I love it. What a bargain, too!

Deanna said...

I love what you do with furniture!! Do you have any ideas or pictures for headboards? (for the master bedroom) We currently have a wood/metal bed that coordinates with two other pieces to match it. But the metal is so cold in our bedroom and totally messes up the "cozy" feeling I want.

Heather said...

I needed this today! I have been going back and forth trying to decide whether or not to paint certain pieces or leaving them as is "because they are antique" and TRYING desperately to work them in to my decor- which by the way has not been working for me. I am always inspired in one way or another when I come to your blog and today is no exception!
Thanks Sweetie!
-Heather :)

Heather said...

PS Beautiful piece by the way!!
-Heather :)

Trudi said...

I really like this advice. I have a grandma large cabinet that is a dark brown... I don't really like it and have been thinking about painting it white and then antiquing it... That said, I also thought what do I care, I'm not reselling it and I won't be... so who cares if I enjoy it more. Thank you for the reaffirmation.

Trudi said...

I really like this advice. I have a grandma large cabinet that is a dark brown... I don't really like it and have been thinking about painting it white and then antiquing it... That said, I also thought what do I care, I'm not reselling it and I won't be... so who cares if I enjoy it more. Thank you for the reaffirmation.

Heathahlee said...

It's beatuiful! Okay, you've inspired me to get off my duff and actually paint the stool I've recently sanded...it was my grandmother's and was so hideously ugly with contact paper covering the seat. I can't wait to finish it and post about it. And I also have my grandmother's china cabinet. I just don't think I'm quite brave enough to paint that. :)

scargosun said...

I still have to send you pics of my desk. I am L A Z Y ! I know that once I start rehabing stuff I won't be able to stop. :)

kari and kijsa said...

Love it!!! We always consider recycling furniture loving the piece just a little bit more...and who doesn't like a little love?!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Unknown said...

The table looks wonderful! I paint everything black too!

Debbie said...

Your blog looks fantastic and so does that piece of furniture! Well done!

Rue said...

I think I might faint! LOL I just couldn't do it in a million years, but it looks beautiful Kim.

I love your new look. It's perfect! :)

hugs,
rue

Gina said...

I love the new look of the blog- and I love the new look of the little stand!!!
I work at an antique store, and I totally agree. There ARE some pieces that are considered "heirloom" that would be a shame to paint, but the majority of "antiques" out there are mass-marketed vintage pieces from the 30's-present, and there is no reason to not make it your own!!!
And for only $10?!?!?! Girl, I totally want to shop at your thrift store!!! What a BARGAIN!!!

{oc cottage} said...

That looks just amazing! I LOVE it!!!


M ^..^

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! Your blog makeover is so fabulous!!! I am so with you on painting furniture if you want to! The hard part for me is just figuring out if I actually want to or not! Or what color, etc. Indecision, that's my specialty! Your little table looks fab!

Kristen said...

That is a really great table - I think the table being black makes it even more special. I love black furniture and I'm planning and plotting a way to get to a thrift store tomorrow! Hmmm.

Trudi said...

LOve the table. I have a few questions... I'm sure you've answered them before, but I have a ton of painting to do. Do you always spray your furniture and if so what brand? I am going to be painting some things black and some things white.... I'd love some advice. You style is fab.

Ann said...

Isn't it a nice feeling to go and follow your instincts about something and prove that yeah your right after all? What a lovely table you have turned it to be. Luv it.

Amy said...

Wow! I love your ideas and tips. I 've never been a very creative person, but after reading this, it seems I can do anything. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Oh this is so funny to read! My husband and I always get into debates when I want to redo the furniture. I have a great stash of spray paint in the garage, and I love to get creative. He freaks out because it is "nice wood". It's nice to see your beautiful finished projects!