02 May 2008

A Sunny Mother's Day Gift


One of my favorite bloggers in the whole wide world, The Nester has a lovely post today about beautiful sunflowers. That made me think that I should share the little project that I have in process. My sons will give them to their Grandmas and Aunts for Mother's Day.

We planted some sunflower seeds in an empty egg crate about a week ago. Those little buggers grow fast. Check them out!

I've been carrying them around in this basket so I can take them outside for some direct sunlight everyday. Those of us in the northeast/midwest (what is Pennsylvania, anyway?) had a frost warning two nights ago so i had to protect the little guys.
I'm going to let my 4-year old transplant the sunflowers into cheap little buckets that I found at goodwill for $.50 each. Wooo Hooo!

If we're really on the ball, I'll let the kids paint the pots first. If not, I'll just fancy them up with some ribbon that I picked up at Joann's for 90% off (yep! 90%) right after Easter.

Voila! A sweet, sentimental (and cheap) little gift for Mother's Day. And I'll have my 4-year old go help transplant the flowers into Grandma's garden. Big fun for the kids and something to brighten Grandma's garden all summer.

Sunflower seeds sprout very quickly so if you wanted to do this, you could plant the seeds this weekend and they should be growing by next weekend.

2 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

The Nester said...

Great idea. Off to throw away some eggs so I can use the crate.

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kim. I'm so glad you came by my blog today! Your comment caught my attention right away because of your name "Kimba." That's what we call my sister-in-law who's name is also Kim. My hubby has called her Kimba since they were little kids, and now everyone does. Even my kids, she's Auntie Kimba to them!

I also have to tell you I love the name of your blog and the sentiments behind it. I think we'd all like a soft place to land at the end of the day! Your blog looks great and I'll be back to read more!