16 May 2008

I Hit The MOTHERLOAD!!!!!

This is an older post that I'm recycling (how green of me!) for the favorite thrift/yard sale find party being hosted by dear Rhoda at Southern Hospitality. She's a darling lady with a wonderful blog.

I hope no one minds that this is an old post but this was my all-time favorite yard sale experience ever. Soooooo...Here we go!

Girls, I am absolutely giddy this morning! I dropped my older son off at preschool this morning and passed a garage sale in a pretty swanky neighborhood. Never one to bypass a potential bargain, I grabbed the baby out of the car - still in his jammies - to take a look.

Now, keep in mind, it's Friday, it's raining and it's cold. The place was packed! I never thought to have a garage sale on a Friday. What a great idea!

Clearly the lady of the house had either redecorated or is a compulsive shopper - like me! So much of what she was selling was exactly what I wanted. I guess that's the point of a garage sale. Someone else's trash is my treasure. And MAN! This was the good stuff. No Target knock-offs in this house. Not to disparage Target knock-offs; my house is full of them.

Look at the great things that I picked up...That pineapple is about 18" tall and weighs 8 lbs. Yeah, I weighed it. I'm all about accuracy. The bookends have a price tag of $44 from a swanky decorator shop! The candlestick was originally $69!


And all of this stuff too! That mirror is is from a custom frame shop. My price $3. And that urn weighs 11lbs! I'm such a weirdo.


But wait! There's more! I have big plans for these picture frames.

Not done yet!

And just for perspective, here's everything together...

Now, I know you're dying to ask. Go ahead. You can ask. I won't be offended. How much did I pay for all of this amazing treasure, you ask?

A grand total of...

$27.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so exciting I can hardly bear it!!!!

Doot Doot Doooooooo!!!!!!! Dancing around the room!!!!

The possibilities for all of this stuff are just swirling and whirling through my mind. Oh the things that I can paint!!! What to do first?

Just for humor's sake, I'll share this last picture. My hubby said that the urn is the best knick-knack I've ever purchased. Want to see why? He says it's just like drinking out of the Stanley Cup.

43 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Hello!! I loved your show and tell! I love going to garage sales and geting those bargains!! You hit the mother load!

I have 2 little boys too. :) 4 year old and 11 month old. :) I love being a mom of boys! Have a great day!

Amanda Jo said...

You DID his the mother load! That is AWESOME!!! My friend and I are garage sale-ing (exactly how do you spell that?) in a pretty nice neighborhood tomorrow - I hope we have the same kind of luck! :)

Congrats on some GREAT buys!

Susie said...

What great finds! Don't you love finding a garage sale that has so many good deals!
I noticed there were a lot in the paper starting Sat, so we'll be out bright and early..

Anonymous said...

Such a fabulous way to start the weekend. Everything is so cute but I LOVE the silver round mirror. Have fun with all your goodies.

Blanca

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

Oh My! You totally made out like a bandit!!! LOL! I only wish..I could find stuff like that.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Have a great weekend!

Susan

KatBouska said...

I can't wait to see what you do with all your treasures! I wonder how many trips you had to make back to your car as you filled it up...

Muum said...

There are few things more satisfying than a good deal. I can see why you are so happy!

Heathahlee said...

As Napoleon Dynamite would say..."Luckyyyy!" I LURVE the silver mirror! I cannot wait to see what you do with all that stuff...especially the 8 lb. pineapple! Just so you know, I bought white craft paint, some paint sponges, and a pillow form at Wally World yesterday. I'm dangerous now! :)

Anonymous said...

I just love finding great deals like that. Well done! All your treasures are gorgeous and can be used in a variety of ways. Thank you for sharing them! Blessings ~ Heather

TJ said...

What a great buy! All of it. I love yard sales in the nice neighborhoods, but my daughter always wants to buy everything (she's almost 5).

We always have "free" sales on Sunday after the church has hosted a yardsale on Saturday to support one of the missions. Then I don't feel so bad cause the kids can pick a few things, and I clean up on clothes for me.

Shannon said...

WOW!!!! Children's scribbles is a great idea for picture frames!! I like it.

aimee said...

Wow!!! Lucky girl you! I love it all and would have been doing cart wheels to the car if I had found so much great stuff for less than $30.

I never find good garage sales around here. Everyone thinks their junk is gold. Boo hoo...

LBP said...

You really did hit the mother load! My s&t is about my thrift store bargains of the week.

I love a great deal!

Blessings

Linda

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Kimba, thanks for stopping by. I see we were on the same wavelength today, even down to our posts titles! Motherload, yeah! You did great too, I love all those things. I've got so many accessories, I'm trying not to bring a lot more home, but I was so happy to find all those things for my new patio.

good for you! Come back & visit me again sometime, I'm always out there doing something fun.

Rhoda

The Nester said...

holy finials woman! Friday and rain--that must be the secret! nice work! love the pineapple!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Wow, you definately got some great finds there. I just LOVE a good garage sale and obviously, you do too! Have a great weekend!

Chris said...

Okay. That just doesn't happen to me! I would have LOVED to have been there watching you buy all that stuff. You must have been in your glory! Great finds!

Kelli said...

Wow! You found so many great things and what a steal! I love that last picture! LOL
~Kelli

Mrs. B said...

OH.MY.GOSH. You totally hit the jackpot! I love ALL your finds! I'm going to hit a few yard sales tomorrow and I can only hope to find something even half as nice as your goodies.

Have a great weekend!

Kathy said...

Love your treasures! And the Stanley Cup remark by your husband is so typical of a man of any age! We are grandparents and both our son and my husband would think of that too!...Kathy

The Proverbs Wife said...

I really scored some awesome goodies.

Nicole said...

Holy Cow, I'm jealous. I am just not good at finding good garage sales. Plus, look at all the comments you getting, your like as famous as the nester.

kari and kijsa said...

Fabulous finds!! you scored!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

You got a great deal on those treasures!! The stanley cup thing cracked me up!! LOL

Have a beautiful day and enjoy your new cuteness :)

rue

Heather said...

That last picture is cracking me up! I can see my husband saying and doing that too! What amazing deals! I love hitting those yeardsales with unbelievable deals! Have a wonderful weekend.
-Heather :)
ps I really love your blog!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Good work!! I love when I have one big bargain and spread everything out to "grand total." Makes me feel such a sense of accomplishment. ;-)

Free Art Printables said...

AHHHHH! you ended up at my dream yard sale you lucky girl!!!! Jen R

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

What amazing finds! I LOVE the urn!!! ~Hope your moving is going well! ~Rhonda :)

Blogger said...

Haha, I am from Hockey Town (Detroit), so I know all about the Stanley Cup, too cute!

Good thing I wasn't at that garage sale because I would have been fighting you for all of that stuff, lol ;)

AWESOME SCORE!!! Maybe even a hat trick??? ;)

Bella :)

Darlene said...

WOW...you did hit the motherload...what fabulous finds and the price is un-beatable!!!!!!

Courtney said...

i remember this motherload, and I'm still in awe. :-)

Unknown said...

I love stories like this! Oh the joy when things are too good to be true. I love all your pretties and know you are going to find a special place for everything. ENJOY!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, I'm glad you recyled! That was a great yardsale day..I just love to find swanky ladies who are redecorating. You did hit it that day.

Thanks for playing along!

Rhoda

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What great, beautiful finds! I'm always amazed at how people get rid of almost brand new things--lucky duck you! :)

Anonymous said...

I bet this first post did not come near the interest it is getting today. Smile. You are soooo lucky to have those beautiful treasures. Thanks for re-printing I never saw the first one, I don't think!!

Jeanne

Sue said...

This was an amazing find!!! I don't usually find this much at one garage sale.....and it WAS so nice. It was worth getting out in the rain.

Ashley said...

What a great load of finds. It is a rare occassion when I come with more than one or two finds. I would be thrilled with a grouping like that.

Angie said...

Yay for swanky ladies redecorating and having garage sales in the rain! I love all your finds...I have an addiction to mirrors and picture frames...so this woulda been a sale where you woulda found me running around grabbing stuff like a crazy woman!

~Angie

Picket said...

LOL What a great day for you that day!!! lol I loved your presentation!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba! Oh, you lucking little thing you! Look at all the treasures you found. Looks like little tiny one things the urn is a sippy cup! lol I wish I could just stumble on a sale with great stuff like this!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

nikkicrumpet said...

OH MY GOSH...that has got to be the BARGAIN OF THE DAY!! What a trove of goodies at such amazing prices!! And I must say I love the name of your blog. It speaks so much about who you are and what kind of mom you must be. I'm sure I'll be back to visit often!

Unknown said...

Hi Kimba,
You did get lots of wonderful items for an great price. Always makes me feel good to do that well!
Diane

Anonymous said...

Well girl, you hit the mother lode. And, the picture of your husband with his very own "Stanley Cup" just made me laugh aloud.