08 May 2008

Need some opinions...

I've got a little (very little) project that I was working on and I'm just not sure what I think of the results. I need someone to tell me either:

"Fabulous! Love it! You're clearly smart and attractive."

Or

"Hate it! What were you thinking. You're putting on a little weight"

I can take it either way.

I have a large corner cabinet in my kitchen with a glass front door. In theory, the glass door is really nice and if I were the type to have nicely organized collections of matching pottery and dishware then the glass door would be great. I could display my large collections in the cabinet and it would serve the purpose of beautiful display and practical storage at the same time. Unfortunately, I'm more of an Elmo sippy-cup and Spiderman plastic plate kind of gal right now so I need practical storage that hides things.

I thought maybe I'd just put a piece of frosted glass in the cabinet so that my junk would stay hidden. But then I remembered some of the fabulous things that other bloggers have done with scrapbook paper like The Nester here and Blanca at For the Love of My Home and Life here and Rhoda at Southern Hospitality here And thought I'd give it a shot with this cabinet.

Here is what it looked like before:

And then used two types of scrapbook paper to fill in the window panes. The only way I could get a decent picture was to use the flash.
So what do you think? I can take it if you think it looks dumb. Here's a closeup of the paper. The background paper is a creamy yellow and the other paper is kind of a yellow/brown/black floral.

Then the inside of the cabinet didn't look very nice. See?

So I did this:
Tell me what you think? I really want to know. I can take it! Keep in mind that we're trying to sell our house. We have a contract on it (actually 2) but they're both contingent on selling another house so we continue to show it and do open houses hoping to find a buyer who can actually buy it.

Anyway, I don't want it to be a weird kind of distraction for a potential buyer but I do love being able to use that cabinet for normal everyday storage.

7 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kat said...

I'm going to be no help. I don't just really like it, but I don't really dislike it either. I guess you'd say I think it's okay. However, if you keep it, I really do love how you fixed the inside of the cabinet to keep the "ugly" stuff from showing. It looks really good :)

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! I am so with you on the glass cabinet thing. I really don't want people to be able to see inside my cabinets! I like the scrapbook paper! I don't know what the rest of your kitchen looks like, but I'm assuming that the paper you chose coordinates with the rest of the room. However, (don't hate me) I'm not sure it's a good idea to have it there if you're showing the house. Buyers might not like it, or they might think it's a permanent part of the cabinet, or they might be crazy and actually want people to see the inside of their cabinets. So, maybe until one of your contracts is for sure, just put something pretty in the cabinet and forego the extra storage.

And regarding my roses, I really don't spend any time on them at all. They were here when we bought the house 3 years ago. All we do is dead head occasionally and prune every once in a while.

Stacy @ The Next-to-Nothing House said...

Hi Kimba! I wanted to stop by and thank you for leaving me a comment. I've been looking around and think your blog is lovely. I am adding it to my favorites so that I can visit often.

Now, for that cabinet....Just my two cents worth. I like the idea of adding the paper behind the glass. I would try another paper....you have the wood frame around each pane of glass and then there is the creamy yellow color framing the print. Seems to make each pane of glass look smaller.....am I making any kind of sense? I love the black and white on the inside of the doors....wonder what that would look like through the glass?

OK, I've thoroughly confused you....and I hope not offended....I will be back tomorrow to see what you've decided.

Kimba said...

Thank you girls! That's exactly the kind of things I need to hear. I never really thought about the paper making the panes look smaller, but you're right. It does.

Heathahlee said...

While I like the idea and it looks good from the picture (especially the back!), I have to agree with Mrs. B. Buyers will want to see that glass cabinet. Put pretty things in it to make them say "Oooh,I HAVE to have this house so that I can have a pretty kitchen like she does!" : )

Rue said...

I guss I'm out voted, but I really like it. I know for a potential buyer you probably shouldn't do it, but if you have glass door on your new cabinets, I would do it there :)

Thank you for all the complements! You are so sweet :)

Have a beautiful night,
rue

ugagirl30 said...

Love the Basic Grey paper. I actually framed very similar paper for my hallway artwork. And I soooo hate the glass cabinets in my kitchen!