10 June 2009

Summer Decorating with What You Have


I was itching for a little summer spruce up (on the cheap) so I scavenged around the house (and dug through a few boxes) to find something things that I could use. Here's what I came up with:

  • Thrift store ironstone plates
  • Starfish
  • Seashells
  • Rattan balls

Yes, dear readers, I hot glued starfish to my ironstone plates. Wanna make somthin' of it?

If it makes you feel any better, I used a low-melt glue gun so they'll pop right off when summer's over. Side note: No starfish were harmed in the creation of this post. They were already dead.

And the seashells just kinda work with the rattan balls, don't you think? The seashells were left over from this project last summer. Don't feel like you have to click over because I'll probably be rehashing that project very soon.



And there you have it...a free summer spruce up. What kind of summery goodness can you dig up at your house?

~~~~~~~~~~

In a tragic episode of insanity, The Nester asked me to guest post at Nesting Place. I can only assume that her big move is making her delirious. If you're visiting from Nesting Place for the first time, welcome! Take a look around and make yourself comfortable.

If you're a regular reader, then please go read my guest post at Nesting Place to see my latest furniture rehab project.

~~~~~~~~~~


Remember! Party at my place next week! Link up your outside projects next Tuesday, June 16th!

44 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Heathahlee said...

I bet I won't be first once I get finished rambling...anyway, great post over at Nesters. Love that seat. And your dead starfish.

Heathahlee said...

Oooh, I was first! (who cares, anyway?)

Laryssa Herbert said...

I really like the starfish. So cute!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Two posts in one day? How can we be so fortunate? I have the same white plate...now I just need the starfish and low heat gluegun (gasp...I know...how can I not have one.."need" it );)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Two posts in one day? How can we be so fortunate? I have the same white plate...now I just need the starfish and low heat gluegun (gasp...I know...how can I not have one.."need" it );)

slip4 said...

Love the seat re-do over at Nester. Reading blogs has made me fearless with spray paint! My favorite summer decoration wasn't free but was only $4 for lots of use. I bought a bag of white aquarium gravel at Petco and use it instead of sand in some of my summer displays. I still used sand in my big honking clam shell, but this gravel in a hurricane with shells and a candle look fab.

Cindy said...

That is really neat! If I had a starfish, dead or alive, I'd do it. I do have other color plates and stuff....hmmmm, where's my glue gun!?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the ideas...and I'm headin over to read your guest post. Thanks!

Nancy

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Just LOVE the summery starfish plates! Great idea & it looks so good with the 3 together! Love this!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Simple. Lovely. Elegant. Love it!

Amy

Marie said...

Kimba! I love what you've done with the starfish and plates - how fabulously cool that idea is! Thank you for sharing it with us - you know we're gonna steal it!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba! Love it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

"Blossom" said...

Just so beautiful. Love the plates with the star fish.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a clever idea. I think the plates look fabulous. I also really like the rattan balls with the shells. Great inspiration for some fun summer decor. Hugs, Marty

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

You never cease to amaze. What a clever idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

Suzann said...

Lovely idea. Thanks for inspiring.

Joanna said...

What a great idea. I love those plates with the starfish!

Unknown said...

Very cute summer ideas! Now I have to think how to add some summer decor in my house. Are there other options besides beach themes? Am thinking maybe I need to bring in some yellow.

Great guest post too!!

Decor To Adore said...

Love the shells on the plate~!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Love the starfish on the plates.

Cheri
www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

jennykate77 said...

I love your ideas! (I always do.) The little additions do seem to make things look "breezy and beachy" and just say "summer"!


Hope you're having a great week!

Amy said...

I love your summer spruce up! Very pretty.
Going over to the Nester now. See you there.

Richella Parham said...

You really are something special. What wonderful spruce-up ideas. And I loved your guest post at Nesting Place. I've been playing with Heirloom White spray paint myself lately, also fashioning a soft place for my bathroom.

By the way, I want to tell you something. One of my best friends is the person who introduced me to your site many months ago. She was reading ASPTL last week and clicked over to my post from you. Then she left me a comment saying "No way KIMBA linked to you!" :)

Allidink said...

How cute! Clever idea with the starfish plates.

All the best,
Allison

Southern Fried Gal said...

You totally crack me up! Love the spruce up! Looks great! OK - gotta get busy - ha!

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

That looks great! I will have to us this idea, my bathroom is beach themed.

Patricia said...

Your guest post at Nester was wonderful
I have been wondering about brass for a while now
Thanks for showing us it CAN be done
Oh and I love the starfish!
I added a plate to a ceiling tile one day using tacky glue and it has stuck ever since!

Nicole A. said...

Love it!! Love the starfish! Heading over to read your post at Nesters!

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing such great summertime decorating ideas. I love the starfish on the plates idea.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love this! And I may need to steal, I mean, borrow this idea for my own house. But first I need to find me some big already dead starfish (somehow I don't think Sea World would appreciate me taking their live ones). I only have teeny weeny tiny ones & I don't think I'd get quite the same impact if I used them.

I'm off to read your guest post at Nester's.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

SO cute. I think I'm addicted to starfish. I am always trying to find places to incorporate them. I love the plates you did with them.

XOXO
Jen

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Read your guest post this morning. Loved it. Love how you thought of gluing those starfish to the plates--fabulous! I really like the sea shells with the rattan balls. Very cool! Wonder where I can find some rattan balls??

The Bridwells said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the plates/starfish!
~Holly

The O's said...

Very cool! I have lots of those rattan balls, but no shells! I might have to make a trip to Hobby Lobby! Such a refreshing look! =)

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Kimba,
What a great idea. I love those plates, they are beautiful. I love anything that is white!!
The starfish are so cute on there
and the rattan balls and seashells work very well together. A great
beachy summer fix up. Love it!!
Hope you have a good day,
Blessings, Nellie

Lesley said...

oh sooo cute...Love how summery and beachy it is....

Kate Riley said...

Oooooooh, read your article at The Nesting Place and OMG we are so on the same "anti-brass" bandwagon.

Girl, I L-O-V-E your transformation. Literally, couldn't love it MORE.

Heirloom White. My advice? Buy stock.

I have a great article idea for a guest post for you. Email me.

PS - Your beach decor is FAB.

:-)
Kate

Unknown said...

Cute decorating idea.

Thanks so much for following me on my blog! I also appreciate the comment you left. Yes, tatting is hard to find and hard for many to identify. I hope as you visit my blog and tatting links on there that you will find it easier to identify!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Love your dead starfish!!!! Cute idea gluing them on to plates. Gives me a great idea...I've got so many starfish, sand dollars and other shells I want to display. Great idea! I had to LOL reading your post. :)

Have a wonderful day!

Dionna said...

Looks very nice, Kimba. :)

Unknown said...

What a great project.

Unknown said...

Very cute! Hey, if you re-visit your garland idea, will you show us a picture of the cutting bit you used? We copycats need to know!

Our Complete Family said...

What a great idea for summertime! Fun stuff!!!

Maya said...

You just keep surprising me with your wonderful ideas!!!