08 June 2009

Rehab Rehash

Taking a little break today...This article was originally published in June of '08. It's one of my favorite furniture rehab projects. Enjoy!

I found this old gossip/telephone bench at the fleatique store and wanted to try something a little different. I loved how this old piece looked and it was really sturdy. The detailing on the side is so beautiful!


I'm sure lots of people would say, "DON'T DO IT!" It really is pretty just the way it is but I wanted to do something totally different with it.

I like the idea of using an unexpected color so I went with a bright red, almost lacquer finish. The fabric is the same fabric I used on the yellow stool here. I got some good mileage out of 1 yard of fabric!

Now I just need to find a place to put it!

Here's some more furniture rehab inspiration:

Beautiful bench makeover
with a tutorial for filling in dated carvings in wood, cabinetry or paneling ~ Sanctuary Arts at Home
DIY: Painted thrift store cabinet ~ Centsational Girl
Refashioned dining table ~ Poppies at Play
Salvaged window = walllpaper frames ~ Crafty Nest
Side table refashion: Poppies at Play
Boring pantry cabinet makeover ~ Fireflies and Jellybeans


27 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Decor To Adore said...

The bright red is so fetching and happy!
I am currently "refreshing" a yo~yo quilt and a friend who visited yesterday was horrified that I was adding new yo~yo's to a very old quilt. I asked her, "What is worse, that I change and enjoy the quilt or leave it wadded up, unloved in the closet?"
I am of the "enjoy it" mindset. :)

stephanie h said...

I always loved how that turned out.

I just posted about an armoire that I need help with. Trying to decide if I wanna rehab it or not.

If you get a chance, please let me know what you think I should do! :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

How fun to use the bright red color. It looks great. Hugs, Marty

Candy Graber said...

Kimba, I have something similar I want to re-finish. I was wondering, did you strip the piece first, or just sand it?

{oc cottage} said...

This is still just as cute as before!
LOVE the colors. Enjoy your break!!

m ^..^

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

It turned into a great "attention grabber" and conversation piece. I love it!

Joanna said...

I love that you painted it red. So outta the box for me, I wouldn't have chosen a bold color, and it looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I love this, Kimba! The red color is perfect!
bE a sweetie
Shelia :)

Andy Porter said...

That is soooo dang cute!! I want to hug it! Thanks so much for the links!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba - I LOVE the red :) I've recently started to rehab some furniture myself and prefer spray paint as well and I was just wondering - do you use one of those paint masks when you work on your projects? I've been just working outside but my hubby thinks I need some sort of mask - the one he wants me to use looks like some sort of alien space mask :)

Marie said...

Oh my...love the makeover! I'm glad you did it - the red is fabulous.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

mumovearls said...

Oh boy I love this piece!
I've been reading your blog for a while...but haven't posted a comment yet...so here goes.

Thank you, Thank you for being so Creative and inspiring! I have always wanted to rehab some of the furniture, but after being inspired by you I am going to do it!-Nena

Tiffany said...

I loved it then and I still love it now. :) Coincidentally, my post tomorrow is about the same thing. What would we do without paint and fabric stores?!

Free Art Printables said...

Thanks for the linky love! jen

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I would have been one that said, "Don't do it!" But I'm so glad you did. Love the red with the black & white fabric. Fabulous. If you can't find a spot for it, I know the perfect spot in my house :).

Vintage Romance Style said...

I absolutely LOVE it! What is the bench actually called?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Gasp! I love it!!! That red is amazing. This is my first time seeing this project. :) Awesome!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

The red is AWESOME! I think I may need a gossip/phone table myself! Thanks for the link! : )

Tara said...

This looks great!

Unknown said...

What an interesting piece - great find! Love what you did.

Cindy said...

Woo Hoo! I think the bright color really brings out the great looks of that piece. For instance, I didn't notice that it had a lower shelf before you painted it...it was just sort of blah. Fun fun fun.

Rachelle said...

Looks great! Love it!

Kate Riley said...

Gorgeous ! Love the fabric and paint combo. Thanks for the linky. And those other links are fabulous too.

Here's another goody:

http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2009/06/diy-footboard-turned-message-center.html

:-) Kate

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That is a wonderful project Kimba! I love the red you chose. So vibrant and happy!


XOXO
je ]n

Ruth said...

I love it. What a great color and the fabric is just great.
Ruth

Niki Jolene said...

I'm loving it!

:)

Amy said...

I have that EXACT gossip bench in my storage room! I bought it at a yard sale years ago. Thanks for inspiring me to go dig it out and make it beautiful!!