01 June 2009

Kitchen Stool Makeover

I've been wanting to makeover my kitchen stools for ages and I finally got around to it this weekend.

Here's the before...There was nothing wrong with them. They are sturdy Target stools that I got on clearance when we were living in our old house. They matched our cabinets remarkably well and saved me from spending hundreds of dollars on fancy stools for the island.

And the after...I'm so happy with them! Black would have been the obvious choice for the kitchen, but the white brightens things up. And I have some other projects in this area that will be white so it will all tie together eventually.


Here's how I did it:

  1. Deglossed the surfaces with Klean-Strip Liquid Sander/Deglosser (you can get it at any hardware store). I LOVE this stuff. I may never sand again. It removes the shine from the finish and preps the surface for painting. So easy!
  2. Primed with Zinzer Bullseye 1-2-3 primer. Thanks for the recommendation Lindsay! The hardest part was letting the primer dry really well before I painted. I'm so impatient.
  3. Applied two coats of white paint (Fence Post by Glidden in semi-gloss) with my spray gun. If I didn't have the sprayer, I would have used a brush because I really wanted to use this color. It's a perfect white for painted furniture. Thanks for the recommendation, Layla!
  4. Used number stencils to add numbers to each seat with black latex paint. There was a good bit of touching up by hand for this part. If I wasn't in such a hurry, I may have ordered vinyl wall stickers instead.
  5. Done!







Since this project isn't a makeover of a Goodwill find, I won't link it up to Thrifty Decor Chicks Goodwill party but I did link up a couple of older posts. You should check out her party!


~~~~~~~~~


Want to see some other decorating projects using typography?
Shelves, a pillow and a school desk: {happy day}
Numbered dining chairs: The Shabby Nest
Kitchen stools and a pillow: The Shabby Nest
Number buckets: Therapy by Decorating


50 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Tiffany said...

Wow! Your stools look incredible! Thank you so much for linking to my number projects! I am loving your blog! I'll be back! : )

duchess said...

Those stools look great.
I'm getting ready to redo ours & I'm loving this number thing.
Enjoy your Monday.

Wendy said...

You know I adore those stools!! Thanks for the shout out lady!!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

LOVE THAT!!!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Wow Kimba! The stool are looking great! I love the 1, 2, 3 just cute! They would look good here too (family of 3) I love this idea!
Have a great day!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Mine are waiting for numbers....still. Yours look great!

Audra Lynn said...

I love the stools. I may be borrowing that idea in the future. :)

Musings of a Housewife said...

How CUTE! What a neat idea.

Emily said...

Cute stools! Love 'em.

I just had my blog re-designed by graphically designing b/c I liked yours so much! You should check it out!

Chris said...

Looks great! Love anything with numbers. It just perks everything up!

Tanna Clark said...

I love this idea. I have a thing for numbers and labels, this is awesome and so pretty.

Runner Mom said...

Now how cute are these!! Great job, chickadee!! And, I love finding out about Klean-Strip Liquid Sander/Deglosser!! I will remember that one! Have a great day!

Hugs,
Susan

Pam said...

I love the white stools! Black would have gotten lost against the island. The black typography is just the thing it needed to tie it to the rest of the kitchen, though. Great project! Thanks for sharing!

Pam

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Fabulous!! I like the white. :) I am really impatient with drying primer (or any drying paint, really) too. I love the typography. :)

Joanna said...

Those are so cute! I would have never thought of numbering them...Ohhh, even a, b, c woulda been cute too!!

Holly Campbell said...

Beautiful! I love the typeface of the numbers!

Still Learning said...

Oh my goodness, why didn't I think of doing that? I have almost those same stools that were hand me downs and they are all scratched up and old. Yuck. I don't like them at all!! I have got to do this makeover. LOVE IT. I think I will paint them black. Oh, I can't wait!! This so has to be my next project.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

cute!

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

I love the stools, typography is my FAV...

Liz said...

What a great idea for giving some standard items a little pizzazz and personality. Too cute!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Those are adorable! The numbers are such a fantastic detail and an unexpected surprise. You did a great job!

Victoria Hayden said...

These turned out great!! I have had in my mind to do mine in the last couple of months...your inspiring me to get mine done! Love the blk and white and can't wait to see what else you do in your kitchen! Have a great week!

Hugs,
~Victoria~

Unknown said...

Great job on the stools! They turned out so cute!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Kimba,
Love what you did with your stools.
I love anything white. Like the number on them as well, and they really show up nicely against your
black island. thanks for telling us how you did it. I am happy to know about the stuff you used to take the shine off, that may come in handy at some time in the future
thanks for sharing and have a great
week.
Blessings, Nellie

Southern Fried Gal said...

Fabulous! What a fun way to dress up those stools!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Looks great! Very clever! The information is very helpful, too!

Amy

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

Those are so cute! I love them!

Paula said...

Where did you get your sprayer? I tried to find your post about it but was unsucessful. I am going to jump in and paint my kitchen island after thinking about it for 2 years! I think a sprayer would work great!

Blogless,
Paula
zandjmom@tx.rr.com

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

They look gorgeous. I have similar stools and the same thing, they are sturdy, but nothing fancy. I would love to change mine. Yours turned out just beautiful. I love the numbers on the seats. They are perfect for your house. Hugs, Marty

Megan said...

Love how your stools turned out. I need to get some for my counter area too but can't commit to just one. This is an idea though, and it would match my number buckets... Thanks for linking to my post!

~M

Anonymous said...

I'll say it again! You are one talented lady!!

Suzann said...

LOVE it. You've got me thinking about a couple of projects I have in the garage just waiting for my attention. Hmmm...

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

FIRST of all, your island is GORGEOUS! Wow, wow!! And I do love the chairs. This liquid stuff sounds incredible, I need to try this out. Do you just wipe it on and then wipe off?

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Kimba -
Those stools are fantastic! Truly an incredible makeover. I love them! My barstoools are sitting here with the paint flaking off. I really need to get motivated to do a great redo. I was considering mod podging them but I think that's a little crazy. Mmmm...

Love yours!

XOXO
jen

sara@augustfields said...

Kimba! Love the outcome of those stools :) I just finished a footstool but added Rub On's ...
anyway...glad you went with white and the 1 2 3 is perfect! :)

Kate Riley said...

Wonderful job, Kimba. I LOVE that you chose white for the stools.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, I love those! I love a mix of black & white painted things too. Great project.

flax and spindle said...

Those cam out so awesome Kimba! Love them...

trish said...

What a great idea! Your stools came out very nice! I meant to say thank you, sooner, for the paint color (the dark blue) that you shared with me! I really like that blue! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Decor To Adore said...

Thanks so much for the deglosser tip. I have a few bathroom cabinets dying to be deglossed and painted.

Teresa said...

Yes, thanks for the sander/deglosser tip- I'm off to paint some old chairs.
Thanks

Richella Parham said...

Oh, I love these! What a good idea. Barstools can be so very, very expensive. And yet we want them to be cool. You achieved both!

Kelli said...

When can you come over? My stools would love to have a makeover. Hey wait, I have no stools. Come on over anyway!!

Robin Johnson said...

Can I please, please, please steal this idea! I have two stools that are on my to-do list for this week that need to be painted. I Love this project so much, I just have to have my own.

kristin maynes said...

I painted my stools white and I'm off to pick up the vinyl numbers...I'll show you when they are done.

Thanks for the Super Great Idea!!

URGENT!!: Which paint sprayer do you use????? My fingers are numb from the spray cans {ARGH!}

Maureen said...

Those stools look great. I love them.

Jen Kershner said...

Gorgeous stools! It just so happens I have a stool waiting for a makeover!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

They look soooo good!
-Jill

Kelly said...

Really cute! Love your black cabinets!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

These stools are terrific-- crisp, classy and fun.