30 June 2009

For the Love of Mason Jars

A few of you asked what I was going to do with all of those mason jars that I got at the garage sale this weekend. The thought of canning with them has crossed my mind, but it's much more likely that I'll use them in other ways. Canning jars are so useful. I love having a stash of them in the basement.

Like this idea...We're having a few friends over to celebrate the 4th this weekend. Everyone will have their own jar with a bandana napkin and their silverware.

Then they can fill up their jar with ice from the bucket and enjoy iced tea or lemonade right from the mason jar.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be sharing other ideas for using mason jars. In the meantime, here are a few other ideas that I love.

Layered salad in a mason jar (This would be great if you're taking a meal to a friend) ~ Mish Mash
Weeds + Mason Jars = Fantastic ~ A.Mountain.Bride
Gumball jar thank you gifts ~ 2 Clever Blog



You can visit Heathahlee at Butterfly Genes for her What Makes Me Smile Party...and you can link up a post of your own, while you're there!

58 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

TidyMom said...

What a cute and festive idea!!
I love it!

~TidyMom

Aura said...

HOW CUTE! This would be cute for baby showers, too.

Amy said...

ADORABLE. I can't stand it, Kimba! I wish I would have seen this before buying all my fourth of July supplies :) Great idea!

Sarah said...

Awesome! How cool and simple!! Darn it, why couldn't I have thought of this?! Guests are going to love this, have a great party:)

Letti said...

That is adorable.

Darlene said...

How CUTE!!!

Kristen said...

I love mason jars! There is just so much you can do with them. And I love this idea - clever and cute!

Cindy said...

Well, there you just gave me my mode of serving for the next week. We have houseguests coming and they're casual people and we plan on doing a lot of eating in. A cool front has come through and this will be perfect for our meals on the deck. Thank you!

Tina said...

Just thinking about lemonade in mason jars is making me thirsty!! =)

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Love all the great ideas for the mason jars....so cute and adorable. I have a collection of "jars" I tend to keep "fancy" glass jars that jams come in or some other grocery store buy.

I am goingto borrow a few of those ideas. I loved them all!!!

southerninspiration said...

Cute idea love it, in fact!....maybe a little tag to mark whose is whose glass...I also saw in the current Southern Lady, they had made Picnic Layered banana pudding in jars...looked so cute and yummy!

Suzanne

JMB said...

Adorable! What a great idea, especially for a wedding reception.

Carrie said...

The jars are too cute used as festive 4th decor. Have you ever had dirt cake out of a mason jar?! Delicious and super cool looking with gummy worms coming out of holes poked in the lid. Kids love it!

Sandy said...

and bandanas, that is great!
Thank you!

Signing Out said...

These are too cute! You are so creative.

Jane

Anonymous said...

I love the how cute, fun and functional your bandana idea is! Very creative. love it.

Gwen said...

I love Mason jars too. I just might steal your idea for the silverware this weekend.

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

I love this idea!!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

This is a great idea! I might have to copy this idea sometime! :)

Heathahlee said...

I love that idea! So cute! Thanks for coming to the par-tay! : )

Deidra said...

I am so stealing that idea! Yay!

stephanie h said...

I love Mason jars and you can do so much with them. I just bought a bunch to store craft stuff in.

Love your idea!

Holly said...

Very cute red white and blue idea! Love the bandanas.
(Make sure to have a scoop for the ice, rather than scooping it out with the jars. That will prevent issues if one happened to break in the bucket of ice...learned that in the restaurant biz.)

Caroline said...

Oh gosh is that cute! Thanks for the great idea!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Thanks for the ideas, Kimba! I've been collecting mason jars for a little while. It's really fun to find out about the different values of some jars. I've been dreaming up ways to display them in my home. I definatly can't wait to see what other ideas you have up your sleeve.

Chris said...

Great idea, friend! I love the usefulness AND the prettiness of them!

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

What a darling...and cheap...idea! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Fun idea! :) Love those bandannas. :)

THE Stephanie said...

What a cute idea! Love it!!

Jane said...

Love the idea!It's so festive!
My son and D-I-L used mason jars filled the jars with sand,shells,and candles as part of their centerpieces at their wedding. They tied thin, satin ribbons around the top and attached a wooden "table" number with a piece of sisal. Very simple...very chic! And it fit with their beach BBQ theme.

Netta said...

This is adorable.THX for sharing the idea and putting pics, too!

Amanda said...

I have always loved Mason jars too. What a great idea - fun and very festive!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Loooooove it! I love using Mason jars wherever I can. My favorite is as a toothbrush holder.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Love this idea! So cute.

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

What a cute idea! We are having guests over this weekend and my mason canning jars won't be filled with green beans for another week or so. Now, off to find bandanas...

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Great post! Love the bandanas! I'm a big mason jar fan myself. When I first moved to NC from California, I bought a bunch of mason jars just so I could drink lemonade out of them, because I figured that's what people DO in the South: sit around in rockers on porches sipping lemonade from mason jars. Then I discovered that "the South" has Costco, Super Target, and Chuck E. Cheese. Kind of took some of the mystique out of it :)

Rebekah said...

That is a GREAT idea! And so simple that I can't believe I've never seen it before.

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

How fun! See you Saturday!! :-)

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

I love canning jars, we use them for everything. Drinking glasses, candle holders, sewing organizers, we store seeds in them. I love it!
Have a blessed day!
Debbie

Melissa said...

Such a fantastic idea!

Many Blessings,
M.

Queen B. said...

oh so C U T E !!!!

Girl with the Curlz said...

What a cute idea. I will have to try this one.

Jena Williams, Not So Shabby Interiors said...

What a creative and great idea! Love the red and blue...thanks for the inspiration!

Jena

Anonymous said...

This is why we love you!

Linda said...

Very clever...I have those mason jars hanging around too and you have given me some inspiration.

Designs on 47th Street said...

Nothing spells USA more to me than this great look. Going up to the attic to pull down more canning jars!

Love it.

Unknown said...

What a good idea to keep picnic & bbq utensils off dirty surfaces. Thumbs up on this!

2cleverblog.com said...

Why Thank you very much for liking our idea!

Happy 4th to you.

From
Think & Pink

Kara said...

Adorable! I just sent the link to my mom, as we have lots of bandanas left over from my brother's rehearsal dinner. They were folded fan-style and tied with raffia bows to honor the couple's upcoming move out west!

Holly Campbell said...

I do love that idea. . .and pretty much any other ideas you have!

Montee said...

I use Mason Jars for all sorts of things. Sweet Tea tastes better out of a jar. I know a lady who got so excited because I use Mason Jars for beverages. She couldn't believe that people really do.

Brittney said...

Oh!! CLEVER!!!! Love the idea :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

I should have known you'd have something really cool planned for those jars! I wish I could come!!! But maybe next time :)

Kristin Lea said...

i totally love that idea!

Kristen said...

Love the mason jars - I use them to take homemade salad dressing in when I take dinner into new moms or sick friends. It looks so cute with a twine tag!

Dawn said...

this look is so much fun! i love to use these jars for parties... no matter what the use! i'm stashing this idea away! thanks!

Mrs. (not) the Jet Set said...

I love mason Jars too! I did a post about the countless things you can use them for in your home. I can't imagine life without them.

http://www.notthejetset.net/2009/02/countless-uses-of-mason-jar.html

Anonymous said...

Love your idea with the jars! I'm sure you know this already, but iced tea and lemonade taste better out of a wide mouth mason jar ;o)