14 May 2009

A Headboard Makeover

I've wanted a real headboard for my older son's bedroom for a couple of years, but just haven't been able to justify the expense. That doesn't stop me from oogling and drooling over those beautiful pieces of furniture in the Pottery Barn catalogue.



When I saw this old headboard tucked in the corner of the Salvation Army, I knew I could make it work for my older son's room. And at only $20, it was worth the risk even if it didn't work. I used liquid sander on the whole thing to get rid of the shine. This was the first time I've used it and I was really happy with the results.



Since it was so plain, a little trim work seemed like a natural addition. I attached two rectangles of premade molding that is usually used to create wainscoting. They are in with the molding at Lowes or Home Depot. If I had any patience at all, I would have waited until The Hubster got home and let him use the miter saw to make my own. They're attached with wood glue and a few finishing nails.



Then a couple of coats of Kilz primer. Oops! Forgot to take a picture before I started painting.



Can you believe that this Pottery Barn-ish bed only cost me $40 total? That's the cost of the bed and the framing. I already had the paint.

Edited to add: The paint color is an Olympic color (from Lowes) called Star Spangled. It's a perfect blue for this project...not too bright...not too navy.







~~~~~~Related Posts~~~~~~~~

The story behind that ragamuffin garland
Shutters as a headboard (in that same perfect blue)
Matching bench makeover (with tutorial)



108 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Sandy said...

YOU ARE TRULY AMAZING :)

Love it Kimba!

The Queen of Clearance said...

This is great! I have been looking at garage sales and such for a head board because we currently don't have one. I know I'm going to have to refurbish it. I have bookmarks of ideas on what I might be able to do when I do find one, and this is going in with those book marks! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Love how you used the trim, it makes it look just fabulous!

Christina said...

What a great, great re-do. Way better than Pottery Barn. Love the trim. I need to learn to use a miter saw.

Heathahlee said...

Beautiful!!! Yeah, I procrastinated doing my procrastination party thing. No, I didn't procrastinate...I just didn't have time. I will show just exactly what I've been working on later...that would actually be a great procrastination post...I procrastinated so long it's now down to the wire and I still have 11 to go...ACK!

This comment was brought to you by the word "procrastination." : )

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

It looks wonderful! What a great transformation!

XOXO
Jen

Nicole A. said...

This is incredible!!! I love it!! Such a transformation!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Nicely done!!!

Amber Filkins said...

It looks awesome!! Love it!

Mom in High Heels said...

That is beautiful! I love that you gave that sad headboard a beautiful new life!

Kate Riley said...

You totally rock. That is so amazing. I love it love it love it. The moulding, oooh, the paint color, aaaaah. I am so impressed !

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

I love it! I didn't know they made remade molding like that! My husband and a miter saw don't mix so I had given up on such things! Oh happy day!

Mrs. Jones said...

Wow, great job. I love that color, too!

~Heather

Dearest Jessica said...

What a visionary! That looks amazing. I have been looking for something simular for my sons room. I never would have thought and would have passed that right up!

Great job!

Suzann said...

Holy smokes! That is kick butt!!!

Liz said...

I am in love!! The blue that you painted the headboard is just beautiful, and I had no idea that you could buy pre-made molding squares - I want some!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Wow! It's really neat to see that sort of transformation- and see that it is indeed possible to accomplish! Thanks for sharing. :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

What a great find, what great paint color - it looks awesome!

MagicMarkingsArt said...

Wonderful! Love the blue and the quilt.

The Blushing Hostess said...

This is so great. I will look at things differently now, if only to note someone out there could really do something great with it... but I am not kidding myself that it would be me! BE well, The Hostess

Silvia said...

WOW!!ITS ALL I CAN SAY, TEN TIMES BETTER THAN POTTERY BARN****AMAZING****
THANK YOU....

Unknown said...

Kimba,

The headboard is awesome. How clever and you were so right. What the heck, if you don't get it right it was only $20. But you did and it is absolutely terrific.

Thanks for your kind words today.

Cynthia

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

You did a wonderful job! It looks amazing. No one will ever know you spent so little on it.
~Michelle

Chris said...

Nice!! It looks great AND you spent little money. What a project!

That Girl said...

that really is amazing! it looks great and I would have never known.

Still Learning said...

You did an amazing job. I love the color too. He must be happy to have such a cool new addition to his room.

Pam said...

That is a truly amazing transformation!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Amazing Kimba! Looks awesome! Great Job!

Sarah said...

great job! it turned out incredibly professional-looking.

trish said...

What a great make over! I really like the color you chose as well!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Laryssa @ Heaven In The Home said...

I really like Pottery Barn style too. I think you did an awesome job on the headboard. I'd like to try the same kind of project for my son's room.

Magic Brush said...

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!!! That looks wonderful!

Tiffany said...

Beautiful! This is such a wonderful transformation and seriously thrifty. Love it!

trish said...

Ps. May I ask what the color of your blue paint is?

Bonnie said...

LOVE it! What an adorable look and really love the paint color.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yippee - this is awesome!! Love it. I procrastinated with my Procrastinator Party project.....gulp..so thrilled that you didn't. :)

Kim said...

This is beautiful! I'm looking for help with our masterbedroom and I'm thinking about creating a new headboard. Also, I love the quilt!

Victoria said...

Unbelievable!!!! It looks great.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

LOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEE IT!!!!

Your son's quilt is very similar to my son's.

I'm impressed with your craftiness once again! :)

Cheryl said...

Great job with the headboard. I love that blue. If I didn't know better, I would of thought it was Pottery Barn for sure. I also checked out your links to the other projects you did for the room. You are a hoot Kimba. I love the garland link and your photo at the end suggesting it could be used for a hat.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous headboard and I love the blue. It is just the right shade ;o)

Teresa said...

Holy molly- fabulous. You have inspired me today- I off on a hunt =)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

That really does look good. :)

~ Sarah

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, that is adorable! Great job on finding the perfect piece & redoing it.

Gina said...

I love this! I never would have even thought of adding trim-it looks amazing!

Kelli said...

Fabulous transformation!!

Blogger said...

Very crafty, Kimba! I LOVE it!!! It's delicious!

Mrs. Petrie said...

It does look very PB-ish! Love it.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Kimba, that looks so incredible! Such an amazing transformation :)!! I'm sure your son just loves it too!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

What a GREAT idea!!! I need a headboard for my son's bed....and you've TRULY inspired me!!

Great job.

Bethanie said...

Very nice. Good job.

Joanna said...

Looks great! Made it a big statement.

Pretty Organizer said...

Okay, I'm inspired to get that mitre saw out myself and get a few projects done. If only I had a pink tool belt... Great job Kimba!

SarahJarnagin said...

Oh, wow!!! I've been on the search for headboards for my son's room and our room... with no luck yet. I keep searching for the right thing. Thanks for showing this project. Can't wait to show my hubby!

Angie said...

It looks so great!! I love it!! It looks just like Pottery Barn

Joyeful said...

Love it!! And I drool over pottery barn, too! I love finding steals at thrift stores and turning them into my dream projects!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Amazing! Good for you! Did you happen to see that recent Oprah with Nate Berkus where he redid rooms on a budget? He was totally overwhelmed and unsure how to do it. I think cute little Nate needs to have a chat with us, don't ya think? :-).

morethanthestarsinthesky said...

Wow! It looks amazing, what an awesome job!!!

Richella Parham said...

I am such a fan of yours, but I have to say this is one of my favorites of all your projects. Way to go!

Carla said...

Wow!!! Great, thrifty makeover. Love the blue!

HSingMama said...

Love it!!!

Chubby Chieque said...

What nifty job you'd done!

So beautiful and hope your son will love to sleep there now.

Great & job well done!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What a transformation!!! :)

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

Such a fabulous idea.. can't wait to try it on my next find!

Vintagesquirrel said...

Kimba,
You rock! That is a truly amazing transformation. It really does look like those $400-500 Pottery Barn beds. Oh, and I love his quilt, too!
-Michelle

Angela said...

The headboard looks wonderful. You did a great job.

pcb said...

That looks great! My daughter took her bed when she moved out so in her room now I just have a frame and bed. I am inspired!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Love it-sooo Pottery Barnish!

Sadie said...

I love that blue! I've been looking for a good blue for my boys' room, and that might be it!

june@craftyniche said...

That is beautiful and looks like it would belong in Pottery Barn!

Jenny said...

Eeeee!!!!!! This is so awesome. Love, love, love the blue :)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Brilliant! It looks so PB.

Kasey said...

That looks awesome. Way to go.

Ashley said...

Great find and great vision!!! Love the finished product!!

Caroline said...

I love it!! BEAUITFUL!!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

You win the award from ME! I have looked at several posts, today - yours is the most amazing, yet!!!

Robin Johnson said...

Fabulous! I love the way it turned out, great job

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

LOVING that it is cheap fun project that looks so great!

Hmmm, might have to do this for Bubbalu's room...

Michelle said...

I have been hunting for a headboard with some personality that I can paint, I love yours....

Brian or Amy said...

I love this!!! Where did you get his comforter???

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Love, Love, Love, Love, LOVE it!

Unknown said...

Love it, love it, think I might adore it even! Great blue.

Smelling Coffee said...

Such a GREAT idea! Looks wonderfully Pottery Barnish!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Kimba - you may have out done yourself this time!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Absolutely perfect!! The molding is a GREAT idea...bravo!!

Amber said...

You gave that old headboard a little love and made it shine! It looks perfect in the room and love the ragamuffin garland accent.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Kimba I love love love it. i need a headboard for our master so badly...you got me thinking.

Anonymous said...

that is an AWESOME headboard! LOVE the color and it helps that I work for Lowes! LOL!

Niki Jolene said...

I am in complete denial over this! Never would have thought to add the moulding. Never.

Wow.


:)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

BEAUTIFUL. Just what I would expect from Project Queen.

I love it.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Very clever............and what a money saver! I re-purposed a headboard to paint my house sign on! I LOVE redoing things.

Blessings,
Spencer

Alecia Watson Bahna said...

I'm so impressed! Great job on the headboard. Just out of curiosity, was it made out of solid wood or the partical board stuff with the laminate-kind-of finish on it? I have a chest of drawers made out of that stuff that I'd like to paint but not sure if it would just be a mess!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Splendiferous!

Jo said...

That looks great! I've been looking for a headboard (to paint) for my daughter's bed with no luck so far.

Unknown said...

I really love this headboard. It's a terrific color for a boy's room.
I have to check out the garland.

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Kimba! That is so clever and cute!!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Can I believe it? With you, of course I can! It's gorgeous, Kimba!

Amy

Katrina said...

All of your furniture refab has inspired me! I found a small, wrought iron bench that I want to repaint and reupholster. Only problem is, the wrought iron is painted white, but the paint is chipping off, and there are a few rust spots. Ever done anything with something like that? Or know of any links?! :) Thanks!

Unknown said...

I'm having hubby do this one for me! Thanks for sharing! Very creative. Come by to see my transformation! If you like what you see, please subscribe to my blog in the right hand column. Just hit the word "Follow" and stay updated on lots of great tips!

Fifi Flowers said...

GOOD headboard makeover!

Linda in AZ * said...

* May I simply ECHO the first comment, made by "SANDY"???? And WOW!!!!~~~~~

Girlfriend, ya dun GOOOOOOD!!!!

Warmest, Linda *

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Great makeover!

susan said...

It definitely says "Pottery Barn" to me! Thanks for the tip on liquid sander--I may give this a try

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kimba...Great headboard! Amazing what some moldiing, paint and imagination can create...love it! Susan

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

The headboard turned out great. (Like we had any doubts.)

Christi said...

Kimba, if I may ask - what is the name of the bedding that's on his bed? This is just what I'm looking for, for Ryan's room.

Thanks!

Kammy said...

Great job - love the color !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Marie said...

How FUN! What a great make-over for that bed.
Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com