17 June 2008

That Will Teach Me...

To hype up a project before it's actually finished. I do have something for you today, but it didn't turn out exactly as I saw it in my mind. But since we've all been talking about how "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful", I'm going to show you anyway.

I've been wanting to do something over the bed in my older son's bedroom. He doesn't have a headboard and that's just not in the budget right now. So I made do with what I could find. And what I found was a set of shutters in someone else's trash. I probably should be embarrassed, but I'm not. :-)

I was inspired by The Nester and the beautiful things she's done with shutters in her home. Love this and this. I thought, "Hey, I'll bet I can make something resembling a headboard using those plastic shutters." And so I did.


Good grief. Do you think I could have at least ironed the pillowcases? Yeah, like that was going to happen.

Anyway, the shutters were icky faded red when I started so I slapped on a couple of coats of blue paint and screwed the whole mess to the wall.



The flag garland was inspired by Mrs. B. She made a beautiful name garland for her daughter here. This part couldn't have been easier. I cut out some scrapbook paper triangles and backed them with cardstock for some stability. Then I used clothespins and attached them to a piece of twine. Done.

I could go on and on about why this project didn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped but that would be the old neurotic me talking. The new me recognizes that it doesn't have to be perfect.

45 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kat said...

Girl, go on with your bad self. I really like it!

Gina said...

It's actually pretty neat! It looks good with that great quilt! The fun thing about creating- we have the artistic license to make any necessary changes whenever we feel like it- or not!! Just keep having fun creating!!! You are non-stop!!!!

Gina said...

p.s. I SAW those flag thingies in the window and wondered if that was our hint!!!

Angie's Spot said...

Despite what you expected it to look like, I think it's way cool! Great job!

Marie said...

The "headboard" looks great! I wish I could find a set of shutters in the trash... I have a few projects that need a pair. :o) The flag garland is VERY cute! I've been planning on making a flag garland valance for my sons room for a looooong time but have never actually gotten around to it. I was going to make them look like pennants from that Harry Potter school. But... he's too old now. lol

Finding Normal said...

I love that! We're headboardless too. Well, we are, but Noah's bed is and I have a great project in my head for that on my Summer To-Do List. I just need someone crafty to actually DO it!

kari and kijsa said...

We think it is fabulous! Great job!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Unknown said...

I think it looks really neat...but question is..how does your son like it??

Caren said...

I think it looks great and the flags are very "Land of Nod-ish" My son has a name banner in his room that I made that was also inspired by that catalog.

I don't know how else you were expecting that project to look because that's exactly what I'd picture and I think it looks fantastic!

Deb said...

Kimba it looks great, and so do the flags. Deb

Deanna said...

Very cute! You did good!

Shannon said...

This looks great! Nothing imperfect about it! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I think it turned out great.

Blanca

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Very cool. I am constantly amazed by your patience to create such great projects. Do you have something going on all the time? My oldest has a bookshelf type headboard in her room. I actually found it online...right around $100 with free shipping. But my own room does not have a head board. We have looked at some...but most are part of footboard and rails sets...and I just want a headboard.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

What a cute little idea. You are just so crafty! You are non stop with these great ideas.

Tiffany said...

I think it's very cute and I bet your kiddo loves it.

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend! Stop right there! It's perfect! I love it! Im gonna have to get me some of those cool shutters that everyone has. You can do some much with them.
Im so glad that your little tassel made it's way home!Thank you again and again! They are so much fun to make.Hope you enjoy... Susie H

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

Oh...it looks so great! You did a wonderful job.

You really are creative.

Susan
Pink Portuguese Roses

Heathahlee said...

I love it. We are headboard-less, too, and I had actually thought about putting our shutters from outside in all their chipped glory as our headboard, you know, like a shabby chic thing. But since we still have said chipped shutters on our porch (I did NOT get what I wanted for Mother's Day...not that I'm complaining...), I have some Ginny Lind twin beds that we are not using, so I put the two of those headboards as our king size headboard. I like it, but would like something with a bit more height to it. I've wondered what it would look like if I stacked the footboards on top of the headboards. May be a bit much, but at least I'm thinking! :)

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, Kimba. I wish I could find some shutters in someone's trash. How do you get so lucky?

Liz Harrell said...

Well, I think it's fabulous!!! Really. But I put giant shutters in my dining area, so I might be biased. :)

And who irons everyday pillow cases? No one I like. :)

Courtney said...

i love it! I saw the flags in that pic yesterday and wondered if they might have something to do with it. I was right! This is the cutest - and thriftiest - headboard ever. Well done Kimba!

scargosun said...

I really like it! It looks great! The flags were a great idea too.

Tip Junkie said...

It turned out great! At first I thought it was a pottery barn picture. Way to go!

Amy Jo said...

Looks great! I wonder what you had in mind... Did you spray paint it blue or acutally get out a brush and paint? :) I saw some closet doors on the side of the road and thought about snagging them since I've seen so many doors hanging on blogger's walls. But, I'm not sure how I feel about a DOOR hanging on my wall and didn't have a specific spot in mind.

I just did a little garland thing with scrapbook paper last night for my entrance. I'll post pictures later tonight. I want to make something like yours to hang up in the kitchen that says "Happy Birthday" that can be used over and over.

Mrs. B said...

Oh my gosh, Kimba! That looks like it could be right out of a catalog! I think it looks great! I love the clothes pins with the flags! So cute. I completely agree with the commenter that said it's Land of Nod-ish. Totally. And thank you so much for the nice mention of my letter banner.

Iron pillowcases? Do people actually do that?

Sarah Mae said...

I think it's AWESOME! I've really got to get into the creative groove - it's doesn't come naturally! That's why I love people like you...so inspiring...

Good job by the way, even if you see the flaws, I see something incredibly cool. :)

Gretchen said...

You are amazing!

I want to do that somewhere in my house ...

Trixi said...

Kimba,
I think it is tooo cute. As you know I am starting from scratch on a blank slate and I love these ideas. Keep them coming!!
Trixi

Mom in High Heels said...

I think it turned out great! I love the flags hanging from the shutters! Kind of makes me wish ds didn't have a headboard. :)

Kristen said...

Are you kidding? I love it! Really love the shutters as the headboard...so cute.

Nicole said...

I think it looks awesome. I love the little garland out of papper. I have a neighbor who made one of those out off fun halloween fabric and puts it on her fence around halloween. It's darling, maybee I should make one for 4th of July, hey you've just given me a great idea. Thanks :)

LeeAnn said...

I think it is beautiful. I would pay good money for someone to do this for me!!! Love it!

Nancy Hood said...

love coming to your bit of our world :)

Unknown said...

My pillowcases are never ironed so those looked normal to me LOL, it looks great!

Debbie said...

This is fantastic! My son's room is a nautical theme and this would look great in there? And all it is is scrapbook paper??? I thought it was fabric. That is so clever and I love the shutters!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi! I saw your blog over at Heather's and wanted to drop in! Great blog! Love the painted furniture pieces and the painted plates! What a neat idea! I might just have to "borrow" that one! LOL!

~Rhonda ;)

Kitty Scraps said...

Love it! Wish I could find some shutters...

angela | the painted house said...

Please tell me that you don't ever iron your pillow cases.

angela | the painted house said...

And, I'm sorry, I love it!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

I love it!! I was looking at some shutters at the thrift store today and wondering where I could put them. I think it look great!

Katie said...

Oh that is so cute!!!! (cute is okay for a boy's room right?) If not, its very handsome.

The Nester said...

yes, Yes, a thousand times YES!!!

that looks fantastic--LOVE your trashy shutters!

cute bedding, cute banner and is there such a thing as ironed pillowcases? i thought that was one of those urban myths.

we could be very good friends

oh, and i'm in the process of misteating my porch thanks to you--will post and link soon!

Heather said...

I LOVE this! How is it not perfect?? I know- we all see things we are unhappy with when we do them ourselves but this I really do like!
-Heather :)

Anne Marie said...

what an awesome job! you did..

super nice to meet you (via inspired room)