16 April 2009

Painted Letter Plaques



Is that what you would call these? I'm not sure but that sounded better than painted fabric wall art thingies. This was totally a "use what you have project".



To make one, I just printed the letter that I wanted in a really BIG font (like 600pts) and traced it onto my muslin fabric. Then I stretched the fabric over a piece of really thin wood and secured it with hot glue (you could use staples if you'd rather). Then I painted it with fabric paint (regular craft paint would probably work too).

And look! When I get tired of my "FAMILY", I can rearrange the letters and use them for a May Day party!



Or maybe to talk about my favorite veggie.



Or a 1980's sitcom about a lovable alien in suburbia?



Did I just date myself?



Want to see some other inexpensive wall art ideas? Check out these...

$4 art: Ikea Hacker
Cheap wall art: Imperfectly Beautiful
DIY monogrammed art: the flies blend
Beautiful botanicals: Lis Loves
DIY botanical prints: ASPTL (that's me!)
Curly willow art: Modern Renaissance
Reusing cabinet doors: Down Home DIY

56 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Tiffany said...

I have seen so many great fabric and wood crafts lately, I need to get to work! I love this, it's beautiful and a great reminder of what really matters.

Flor Larios Art said...

This is beautiful! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Those are great, and much easier to move around than if you had used those vinyl letters that stick on the wall. I love the size of them, they look fantastic above your door!

-Hayley

PS. I loved ALF!!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful job.
I was so impressed that I decided to blog about your project and provided a link to your site.

Steph said...

I love those! They look great above the door. I loved Alf too.

Ramona said...

Great post. Great idea. You are cracking me up on this early Thursday morn...thank you!

Smiles ~ Ramona

Jennifer said...

I really like that project. It is good because not only is it afordable, but you can change it up when you feel like it.

Jennifer

P.S. I remember ALF does that really make us old? LOL

the pleasures of homemaking said...

What a cute and versatile idea!
Love it!

Manuela

Unknown said...

What a great idea! You always have such fun ideas.

Cynthia

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

That turned out so cute! Great idea (as usual!), Kimba!! :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I too, remember Alf!! I need a short tutorial on printing out the flippin numbers or letters. I can't seem to get them to work out of my computer! I don't know what I am doing wrong! I love all of your ideas, but I seem to be having a duh moment. I simply want to print out 4 numbers to trace and paint on my front door. Help!!

Lou Cinda ")

Chicky said...

This post comes at a perfect time-I've been painting walls and now have plenty of blank walls to fill up-thanks!!

Southern Charm said...

What a great idea! I love it.

Gina said...

Those are great-I love those and using what you have!

-yes, I loved Alf too!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Beautiful!! I loved ALF by the way. LOVED him.

Painter's Place said...

I love these! They look like giant Scrabble tiles and I love me some Scrabble. I'll have to try this!!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Really? YAMS?
That aside, love, love, love the fabric tiles.
:)

Terry said...

Thank you ,the letters are so inspiring ,can't wait to see what you do next !

Rachelle said...

Ew, Yams. Blech.

Oh right, the wall art. Love it. And Alf, and Family. Oh, and May it's my birthday month!

But Yams, no. No thank you.

:)

Conny said...

We found ALF on DVD a while ago (and I think the show comes on one of the cable networks occasionally too) and my kids think ALF is HILARIOUS....they are probably the only 3rd & 5th graders in the world who know who ALF is!
OH - and I love love love the project too :) adorable!

I am Mom said...

ALF! love it - you have to come see my 80's character reference in my blog today

Joanna said...

Love them! They look like big Scrabble letters!

Jennifer said...

I love these! I'm pretty sure you will be seeing them in my home shortly!

Jessica said...

Love the Alf reference. That just made my day!

Decor To Adore said...

Or how about "I LAY" over the headboard? You creative genius!

Kim said...

Kimba, I love that you are so willing to share your great ideas with everyone and how you give us other sites for more great ideas. Very thoughtful of you! Thanks very much! Kim

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Nice ALF shoutout... I never thought I'd live to see a day where one of my favorite DIY bloggers went there. ; )

Chris said...

Okay, when you say trace the letter onto the muslin, what does that mean? How do you trace it on there?? They turned out great!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love that you said ALF! ha ha

Ruth said...

What a great idea. I love it.

Ruth

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Cool project Kimba!

~Misti

Amber Filkins said...

This is a great project. I also loved it when I saw Susie from Bienvenue do them 2 weeks ago.

Mom in High Heels said...

That is awesome! I am so going to do something similar. You know, once I can breathe and see again (stupid allergies). And Yam? Really? I hate yams.
Of course if you wanted to be "street" you could always just put up FAM. I know you're down like that. :)
Did you get my email?

cAsSy said...

I love this idea. I just made a cute welcome sign with vinyl and a cricut. I could easily do this with the cricut too! Thanks for the idea!

Christi said...

How stinkin' cute! Love it - I'll have to duplicate it as soon as we move.

And, I guess I'm dating myself too, but we loved ALF at my house.

Unknown said...

very cute, Kimba!

Unknown said...

Oh my, my friend, you HAVE dated yourself. But I'm secretly thrilled because I adore finding out that some people in this world are close to my age! :)
Great project, thanks for sharing.

Ashley said...

Lol! yep, Alf. I remember getting a stuffed Alf for one of my birthdays. Had that thing for years. He was quite loveable. ;)

Love the letter signs. Would be pretty with just about any kind of fabric.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Those are great Kimba! Can you believe how popular letters are?? We have been selling a ton of our monogram initial inlay rugs!!

Jen@balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I think you should stay with Man Day, but Alf got me chuckling... :)

Anonymous said...

You are my hero! I have been racking my brain for something to use in my entry for a "welcome" sign. I didn't want to use the vinyl letters because it seems like everyone has them and I don't want what everyone else has ;o) Thanks for the inspiration!

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

Love it, Kimba!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

LOVE it! What a fun & quick way to make art. I remember Alf!

Anonymous said...

You are a freak, but I love you!

And, yes, you did date yourself, but the good? news is that 80s fashion is returning, so perhaps 80s TV will make a comeback and your younger bloggers can understand why those of us in this age bracket are so bizarre (who came up with that show anyway?)

K (so there's no confusion)

Sarah Mae said...

Haha! Love your sense of humor...and the wall plaques too! :)

Holly Campbell said...

What a great idea! (I, too, remember Alf. . .)

angela | the painted house said...

You are so silly! :)

Great lettering!

Together We Save said...

This is a great idea. I am not crafty but I think even I could do this.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

What a fantastic idea! Although, I had to laugh (almost fell off my chair) when you said..."and when I get tires of my family I can just change it out". Priceless oops moment.

BTw, thank you for linking me. I feel all famous now, becasue the ultra fab and famous Kimba posted one of my little ol' piddly projects. You're the best.

~Amanda

Tori Leslie said...

Great idea!!! Maybe I'll be trying this one soon!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Really cute idea. Cracking up at the Alf comment!

Dacia said...

I made my own inexpensive wall hangings too. Check them out here

http://albafam.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-newest-project.html

I just wanted to share because I was so happy that I was frugal about it.

Pretty Organizer said...

Or.... you could spell Amy, or the texting shortcut Laf or... IM A FLY! So many options. What a great versatile word Kimba dear.

I'm posting next week about decor that sends subliminal messages to your kids... my non nagging parenting advice:)

Still envying the time you have to make these... someday.... sigh.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

"when I get tired of my family"....lol!

GREAT ideas, as always, girl. Heart you!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

FABULOUS! I love for holidays, too, to "say" things like "Joyeux Noel" in a fancy font. Bookmarking this post!! :-)

Down Home DIY said...

Thanks for the shout out Kimba! The opportunities are endless. They feel expensive b/c of the weight of the cabinet door but are very inexpensive and easy to make.

p.s. Love your blog!

~MB (Down Home DIY)
www.addressingspaces.com