30 January 2009

The Kitchen Table - A Tutorial

You all left such sweet comments about my painted kitchen table the other day. {blush} And a bunch of you asked questions about how I did it, so here's a quick run-down. Unfortunately, this was done in my PBD (pre-blogging days) so I don't have pictures.



We sanded down all of the flat surfaces (tabletop, apron) with a power hand sander. We weren't trying to get down to bare wood or anything...just roughing it up enough for the primer to stick well.



We sanded the legs of the table and the chairs by hand. Honestly, if I were doing it again, I wouldn't spend nearly as much time on this step. I don't think it made much of a difference.



We primed everything with grey Kilz primer (any good primer would work). We used a roller and brushes for the whole thing. If I were doing it again, I would have the primer tinted black. It would make applying the paint a little easier.



Next was 2 or 3 coats of black satin latex paint applied with a brush and rollers. Let the paint dry really well between coats. Like a day or so. If it doesn't dry really well, the paint will always feel a little bit soft.



Then two coats of satin polyurethane. Next time, I'll probably skip this step. I don't think it really added anything.

That's it! You may notice that there were a lot of "we's" thrown around in this post. That's because when The Hubster read the last post, there were a whole lot of raised eyebrows and "ah-hems" flying around. I think those meant "Who is this "I" that you speak of so much. I clearly remember there being a "We" involved with this project." So there you go...we...we...we...all the way home. Love ya, honey!

Here are some furniture painting tutorials that I've posted in the past.

Painting a kitchen chair
Painting a piano bench and recovering the seat
A technique for distressing a painted chair
Repairing wood veneer and painting a large dresser

And here's one of my my favorite tutorials on painting furniture from Rhoda at Southern Hospitality. She rehabbed her kitchen chairs and gave them a beautifully distressed finish.

Oh! That rug under the table? An indoor outdoor rug from Overstock. One of my favorite places for rugs.

post signature



PS - Clearly I'm hooked on painting furniture. You can visit Hooked on Houses to see what some other fine ladies are hooked on.

32 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

I told the hubby I wanted to paint to wood furniture in the great room. His answer was..."you?" How mean! The furnite is currently knobby pine and looks outdated but I still like the shape. Thanks for the pointers...black furniture is in my future! I think I'll wait til it's warm outside!

Sarah Mae said...

Kimba - it is so beautiful, but it looks like SO MUCH WORK! I guess I need to start rolling up my sleeves and getting "gritty" if I'm ever going to follow your lead!

:)

Joanna said...

I need to re do my computer desk now that I know the "right" way to do it! I used spray paint and well she's worn looking (great) but a little too worn looking if you ask me.

Kitty Scraps said...

Don't you just love painted furniture? I know I do! I have a farmhouse style table & chairs set bought in 1990. Back then the latest "got to have color" for furniture was white...years later we gave it a new life with dark green paint and last year it morphed into a new stylish life sporting a coat of black paint. So I heart your kitchen table as it reminds me of mine *smiles* Great job Kimba!

Flor Larios Art said...

Thank for the tutorial. Beautiful chairs!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Great tutorial. Thanks. Your table and chairs look amazing!

Reborn said...

Lovely! I have two indoor-outdoor rugs from Tuesday morning. I noticed I/O rugs are much much much cheaper! I will definitely check out overstock.com. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I posted an award for you on my blog!

:)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Whever I've painted furniture, I skip the primer and protective coat and simply go to melamine paint. Basically it's liquid laminate and tough as nails! Wonderful for going over top woods. I also did my kitchen counters with it back in the day. Cures very tough! And the darker the colour, the longer the cure for some odd reason.

Some haven't heard of melamine, but keep looking. It's fantastic stuff. But is oil based and best applied with a high density white roller with rounded edges and a foam brush as to leave no brush strokes.

But caution! Once melamine, best to stick with melamine for the future. It's really hard if not impossible to remove.

Donna

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered how to paint furniture because I've never known. And yours looks fantastic!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

Kimba, back in the US, we have an old table and chairs like yours. My sister is borrowing them, and I just keep wondering if we should paint like you've done. We love remodeling projects, and I really like the shape of our table, just not the wood color.
You've convinced me to hang onto the thing for if we ever move back from Germany. In the meantime, my sister can borrow away!
Katie

Jenny said...

Someday I will be brave enough to try it.

You, I mean you and your husband, did a great job! :)

4handfulls said...

Thank you! I just took a table and chairs ot of the garage to repourpose for my kids new homework area and it needs new life!

Unknown said...

Glad you told us about it - tempting to do my table, but I think hubby would cringe at painting oak!

Amy said...

Thanks for showing your table and chairs!! I was just thinking about painting an old set, and it's so nice to see your "after"!

Lisette said...

It came out nicely!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Isn't amazing what a little paint can do? The table looks great!
Karla & Karrie

::Traci:: said...

This is super helpful to me b/c I am about to paint {black} a bench {aka, old toy chest w/ backing} for our kitchen table, and I was wondering where I should even start. Such an inspiration you are!

Unknown said...

"My" projects always start out as "I" projects, then when he has started to smell success, then my hubby jumps in to help so he won't be left out of the compliments!!
Love the table, thinking about painting mine.

Pretty Organizer said...

Thanks Shweethaht! I'm lov'n these how to paint posts... I'm gearing up for the great kitchen repaint of '09 and want as much info under my belt as possible! Perfect and thanks for the link to Rhodas post too!

Kimba you do such a great job with these posts... what a talent you have.

Darlene said...

Your furniture projects always turn out GREAT!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Can I just say that pre-blogging days I would have never, ever have taken a picture of my projects. I look around and see all the blog fodder gone bad since I have no pictures and I mourn... :)We are thankful you weren't me with this one.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I love overstock too! I have two or three rugs from there. I love how this turned out! I think people would fall in love with most of the pieces they hate if they would just paint them. ;)

Jennifer said...

Wow - you read my mind! Hubbie agreed to help me with this project - which will be a first for both of us...and my kitchen table and chairs desperately need it! He had a few questions and was asking me, "Don't you know anyone you can ask??" "Well, Kimba..I guess." And you already answered all my questions! Thanks!! I'll let you know how it goes :)

Sarah said...

What a great way to save a piece of furniture! I recently saved our old brass light fixture with paint. You can find the tutorial here:

http://createstudio.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-save-light.html

Thanks for the pointers!

-Sarah from Create Studio

Sarah said...

What a great way to save a piece of furniture! I recently saved our old brass light fixture with paint. You can find the tutorial here:

http://createstudio.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-save-light.html

Thanks for the pointers!

-Sarah from Create Studio

julie & joe said...

My husband just rolls his eyes when I go to paint something but he usually doesn't care. My dad hates to see someone paint furniture because his grandmother painted a coffee table that had an wood inlay of an eagle on the top when he was growing up. I would have been upset over that.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Ahh, the power of paint at work! I just love updated furniture. Thanks for the mention. My chairs are still going strong...7 years later! Funny at your hubby's indignation. Around my house, it's definitely "I" when it comes to projects.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post! We're tackling a new project this weekend of repainting our kitchen table/chairs, so this post was perfect timing for me! Only we're painting from black to antique white!

Lisa said...

LOVELY AND PRACTICAL WITH A FAMILY. HUGS FROM MAINE
http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Stacy Jacob said...

Thank you so much for doing this post. I am so inspired to paint my ugly, stock bathroom cabinets now...black. I also love Rhoda's instructions. Your blog is great!
-stacy

Anonymous said...

love your kitchen table and chairs! thanks for your tips there fella!

Heidi said...

Howdy-doody, Kimba!
I think we have the very same table, well, the same shape anyhow. We got ours at Big Lots a few years ago, and after seeing yours transformed into the black beauty you have now I'm so ready to change the look of our contry-fied blonde wood top w/white base to something equally as fab (I hope)! Your blog is so inspiring, thanks!

I recently painted our kitchen cabinets white so our eat-in-kitchen table needs to blend in with that somehow and black maybe a bit too high contrast. I was thinking maybe a deep red?
So, I had one question about painting.
I see that you post about using both brushes and rollers OR spray paint. How do you choose what method for different pieces? Your post about the table talked about brushes and rollers, but another project with chairs you used spray paint. Is it to do with area to cover or something else? I also have another piece (a hutch) that is going from white to black in our living room - I used a brush for that back in the day when it first changed color so I wasn't sure how to approach that one this time around either. Sorry for this WAY TOO long 'comment' ;)
~Heidi @ Wonder Woman Wannabe