21 December 2008

A Little Eye Candy

Before I utter one trivial word about pine cones, glitter or reindeer, I need to tell you one thing. I adore you, my dear readers!

I was blown away by the response I got to Friday's post about being real. Seriously! You all made me cry...in a good way. You shared your hearts with me and I was so blessed by your words.

If you want a Norman Rockwell Christmas, but you feel a little more like the Griswolds, then you need to go read the comments from this post. You WILL be encouraged.

I am definitely going to think about hosting a Keeping It Real party after the new year. My hubby always threatens to write a post called "Behind the Scenes of A Soft Place to Land". He wants to follow behind me and photograph all that I shove to the side to take a pretty picture and the chaos that is left in my wake as I spin my way through another project. Maybe I'll let him.



Now just for a little fun, I thought I'd share a bit of eye-candy from my mom's house. As you can see, I come by my love of decorating honestly. My mom loves her some Christmas.



For the last few years, she has been using these candy canes everywhere.



You can usually find them at the dollar store.



They work outside really well.



And of course, I had to share my ginormous pine cones with her.



So what are you going to do with your blog over Christmas and New Years? I think I'm going to take a bit of a break. I'm sure I'll have a few things that I'll just have to share, but I'm really looking forward to lots of quiet time with my family.

Merry Christmas!

post signature

41 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Am I really the first?? I just love love love the candy canes. This year it was candy canes and snowflakes for me. I got so much inspiration from your mom's great decorations. So fun!

I'm taking a bit of a blog break as well. The new year will find me doing more things with my blog but for now I'm just going to enjoy crafting, baking and time with my family. Merry Christmas, Kimba!

Aubrey said...

I'm eagerly awaiting your husband's post. ;)

Valarie Lea said...

Love your Moms tree!

I do the same thing, move everything out of the way and take a pretty picture.

I don't know what I am going to do for my blog, probably just see what happens and see how extremely overwhelmed I am and go from day to day.

Anonymous said...

Your mom's house is decorated so pretty! I love her tree!

Enjoy your family time and have a wonderful Christmas! We will be blogging from the road! We're heading out on a trip Christmas Day!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Your mom's Christmas decorations are just delicious! (hee hee!)

I know I'll be taking a break.

Heathahlee said...

I guess it's like mother like daughter, huh? : )

I would LOVE to have your husband's perspective. (another : ) )

I think I'm taking a break, too. Except one big giant "Merry Christmas" on Thursday. Maybe. If Santa brings me a round tuit. (and still another : ) )

I need to go back and read the other comments from the other day. But not now. I'm too busy making the gifts I should have made a month ago. (no smiley face here)

Anonymous said...

We love the Griswolds around our house and seem to have no problem keeping it pretty real. I think that's why I was so happy to discover your blog and your picture-perfect decorating. :)

As for blogging over Christmas and New Years I think I'll be taking a break. I've been ready for a break for a while now and it seems like a perfect time to unplug and soak up some family time.

Merry Christmas!

Lyndsay Wells said...

I have those same candy canes - I bought them at the dollar store and I LOVE them.

Your mom does a beautiful job! Thanks for sharing these.

Heather said...

I was just thinking that I might have to take a teeny tiny break too. We'll see if that actually happens.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Don't we all move everything out of the way for a the perfect picture? Being a designer, I have to do that lots! It's a bit uncomfortable to do at the client's home, when they see me moving the kid's toys or dirty socks from the floor just to get the room "picture worthy", I try to tell them my house is NEVER perfect. My house is pretty but by no means is it ever perfect. We always need a good ten minute warning before receiving company. My dining table has never been set like the pretty pictures that I post. It is always covered in painting projects or flower arrangements, or anything else that strikes me for that month. So I would love for you and your hubby to post that "keeping it real" deal. It is so up my alley!

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Fun Tree!!!Great candy canes:)

Merry Christmas...So glad i found your blog this last week!

Blessings,
KayEllen

Jana said...

Thanks for your "Keeping it Real" post the other day! It'd be a great idea to have a Keeping it Real party so we all can see that we all are real, and even those houses that look like they are from out of a magazine aren't always perfect!

Thanks for keeping it real and encouraging us to keep it real too!

Jana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pretty Organizer said...

Kimba girl!! I feel like a complete stranger. I just posted for the first time in DAYS...

Here's me in the last few days:

"Ahhh, I'm drowning!!, (gulp, splash, yell,) AHHH... no wrapping done (Gulp- nose goes under again), 19 coming in 2 days... CLEAN YOUR ROOMS!!... (gulp, inhale water in my lungs.. burning.. going black)... MMMMM chocolate!! Thank heaven for neighbor gifts.. they keep me going."

Consequently blog has suffered.

Good news... I'm a contributor for Blissfully Domestic Home channel for next year! Whoo hoo... I can't believe Melissa blessed my little head with this fun experience.

Okay, that's all. I'm off to find my bed... the rooms a disaster. I'm planning on sneaking in a few wrapping hours before I doze.

Love you! Merry Christmas! I'm taking a little bloggy break too.

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Your husband sounds like a hoot - and you definitely come by the decorating gene honestly.

Amy said...

LOVE the candy canes! They look awesome in the tree.

Jessi Nagy said...

Hey sweets,

Your Holiday Home is gorgeous!!

Have a wonderful Christmas!!

oxoox,
jessi

Christi said...

Merry Christmas, Kimba!

TidyMom said...

I love your mom's house too!!!

I was at my Aunt's the other night just oohing and ahhhing - I took pictures, but haven't had a chance to post them yet. I'll probably take a bit of a blogging break as well.

your hubby reminds me of my family they laugh as I go around taking pictures too AND all the junk I move out of the way! LOL

Have a Merry Christmas Kimba!!
~Tidymom

Wendy said...

I am the same as you...shove stuff aside for the sake of a great photo!

Have a lovely Christmas...I'll be taking a small break too!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I'm taking a bit of a break, too. Enjoy yours, and have a merry Christmas with your family! -Julia :-)

Serendipity said...

Your blog is just delightful!
Have a lovely holiday with your family!

Celebrate!

Ashley said...

"Behind the Scenes of 'A Soft Place to Land'"? Now that is something I could go for!!! Now you know you have to do it sense you mentioned it to us! Haha! Merry Christmas!!

bloggin' Chrystal said...

Merry Christmas Kimba! I've already taken a break from bloggin'. I've been just surfing my favorite blogs instead. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

It is beautiful! I just love it. And I love your blog!

Merry CHRISTmas!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

I'm taking a much needed break too. I work all day on my computer, my eyes need a break:-) Although if I get my gingerbread house done, I'll have post that for sure.

Have a Merry Christmas!!

Karol said...

The candy canes are so cute. Your mom's tree is gorgeous and I see where your love and expertise in decorating comes from. Enjoy your break. I am taking a few days off myself.

Karol :0)

Monkey Giggles said...

Stopping by to tell yo, it has been a joy to get to know you through your blog. Thank you for sharing and keeping things real. I truly enjoy your blog.

Be safe and love on your family extra hard.

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Beautiful tree and decor!!
I agree, taking some family time! Enjoy!!

Mama Dog said...

I laughed out loud when I saw your dining room table. It looks EXACTLY like mine....or it did before my in-laws arrived and we needed to eat meals on it! And I will eagerly await your husband's post. I love the "keeping it real" admissions since we all tend to think everyone out there is perfect and we're the only one with piles on the counter or piles of laundry! I love your blog, and appreciate the work you put into it...even the scooting things to the side when you take your lovely pictures! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the non fat "candy". Keep on Keepin' it real!

duchess said...

Merry Christmas, Kimba.
We are taking a little posting break to enjoy the festivities but I still like to browse when I have a quiet morning moment with my coffee.
Enjoy this wonderful holiday without worrying about the mess.

Lallee said...

Merry Christmas, Kimba. Thank you for all the inspiration you have shared with us!
Lallee

Jennifer said...

Man, love your mom's decorations. Thanks for sharing all! Merry Christmas, Christ was born, amen!

Anonymous said...

Hello Kimba, your post is lovely as always. I did love your real post though. It made me smile.

This is a real Merry Christmas greeting to you and your loved ones with blessings and love...Jeanne

ps. I am taking a break for a few days. Go for it!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh!!!I read your post to my husband and we laughed. ALOT!!! My husband actually did take behind the scene photos from the home tour. I'm going to find them and email you. That has been a huge jok around our home. I'm thrilled I'm in good company!!! I want to be on the invite list to your party!

Anonymous said...

Candy Canes and pinecones? A decorating classic! How pretty! I love them!!!

Emily said...

Kimba where did you get those magnificent fat mr & mrs clauses?!?!?! I want them! Where oh where can I get them?! Lol!
Merry Christmas my friend!
Em

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

Kimba, please tell your mom I love, love, love the Santa in the 3rd picture. Do you know what the brand name is?

Ankeney Tribe said...

I just read the previous post where you were "getting real" and I have to tell you that you are not the only Monster Mommy to have appeared this Christmas...THIS Monster Mommy cried on Christmas night in bed because she thought that she didn't pay enough attention to all the little papery things the kids made for me MONTHS before Christmas...
Anyway, you made me laugh with your Christmas Yakk :-)

S'more of my Thoughts said...

Beautiful!! Love the candy canes! I can never get anything from the Dollar Store to look THAT fabulous!

not sure whose blog I wandered in from ;-)

Happy New Year!