17 November 2008

Rogaine for Your Lampshades



I found this little shade in the clearance aisle at Target. Kinda cute...but not what I had in mind. So I took a lesson from Nester's ragamuffin garland.



I cut and ripped and tied until it was all fluffy and fun.



Then I tied it around the bottom of the shade and added a painted wood initial. Edited to add: This is NOT a fire hazard. The light bulb is at the very top of the shade, no where near the fabric.

But wait! There's more!



When your kiddo is ready for something new, it makes a fabulous party hat!

post signature

56 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Lacey in the Sky said...

I like your style...

Unknown said...

Adorable and fun hat! Interesting way to work in the initial/monogram thing- without the standard wall letters, etc. I'm going to attempt a psu/navy & white ragamuffin for the lion's den, but probably with wall paper! We just rearranged-more!

Sarah Mae said...

Kimba, you are SO MUCH FUN! I hope one of these days we can meet up!

By the way, I am so excited about the 5 AM club! (I'm not too excited at 5 AM...)

Thank you for being a part of it...and for your prayers! Good job this morning!!! :)

Baby Vagabond said...

Great job! And, the perfect party hat as wee, how clever!! LOL

:-) Rosie and Tara

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Definitely some good fluff for a plain lamp shade. Jackie

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Oh, that's just too funny! Thanks for the laugh. :)

By the way, I'm doing my first giveaway this week so please come check it out!
http://thelopsidedhouse.blogspot.com/2008/11/wash-away-that-dirt-soap-giveaway.html

Kristen said...

I love the whole ragamuffin garland idea and all the fabulous things that can be done with it! I think I'm going to have to try my hand at one sometime soon.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a great way to update a shade, especially cute in a child's room!! I think the letter added the perfect finishing touch!

Anonymous said...

Love the hat/lampshade. Girl you know how to make me laugh early in the morning. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Great lampshade...I mean hat, lol! I'm definately going to have to try this one. Too cute :)

-Hayley

Julie said...

Kimba what a cute idea! and I'm sure you'll be the life of the party with that shade:)
julie

The Beauty Bargainista said...

LOL!! I love it as a hat! :) What an adorable idea!!! I have been looking for a lampshade for this particular lamp that I got on clearence at Walmart for $5 like 2 years ago, but nothing seems "quite right"! So I am definatly going to be giving this a try!!! :)

Suzann said...

I love that lampshade. It would be perfect for my daughter the "cheerleader". I laughed even harder because my wee one grabbed a lampshade yesterday and said, "Look, it's a party hat too!" Now, what we HE be like at 18?

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Really cute! I have a crazy friend who would probably wear it as a hat! It certainly made that lampshade. Great job. :-)

Sheila

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

That's it, I am just printing off the picture of you and framing it...a new take on the Mona Lisa. :)

Melissa said...

you are too funny! I'm loving it as a hat! I love the colors you used and that quilt on the bed next to it~looks great.

K and/or K said...

I love this idea! Perfect for scraps you can't seem to part with!

My First Kitchen said...

You are so fashionable. I think Tyra would enjoy you trying out for the next season of America's Next Top Model. :) And P.S. I'm in the final stages of my first painted lamp. Stoked!

AndreaLeigh said...

Love it! I can't wait to try this.

Wendy said...

Nice hat! Oh, and it makes a cute lampshade too! LOL!

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Come stop by my blog and enter my ************GIVEAWAY******
Love your design work like always.

Gretchen said...

What a great idea! I've been wanting to do the ragamuffin thing, but since I no longer have a nursery, I didn't know what to do with it.

You.are.amazing.


If you get a chance to drop by, I've got lots of eye candy for holiday table ideas this week.

Allison said...

Love the lampshade and even cuter as a party hat!

Kathi Roach said...

Very Cute!!! LOVE it!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Cute idea. . . and how versatile. . . a hat too ~ it's so YOU!! LOL

Blessings,

Sher

Melissa Lee said...

Kimba, it's 9am on a Monday morning and your resourcefulness is making me sleepy.

But you sure iz cute.

Melissa at Stretch Marks

Windy said...

Funny! Love the lamp. Why can't I think up all that good stuff?

Mrs. Dunbar said...

I like the hat the best. What a fun project. I'll have to try it.

Unknown said...

such a great idea!

Decor To Adore said...

Very cute idea~!

Michelle said...

That looks fantastic!!! I think I will copy that idea for my oldest son's room. You are SOOOOO talented.

Joanna said...

WOW! I never thought of putting the garland around a lamp shade. I will have to try that, it looks great!

Vanessa Greenway said...

The lamp shade looks great!! :) vanessa

Meghan said...

Most excellent & I so think you should wear that out to dinner with the fam one night.
Tres Chic Sister!

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

Kimba! You are so cute!! how funny!

But seriously , that is such a cute idea!! I love it, thanks!! and the letter was a great touch too!!

~ hugs ~ Cynthia

Carrie's Minnesota-nICE said...

That is super cute! I think it looks even better on you as a hat;)

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Looks great - so fun!

Heather said...

What fun!! Now I am going to go search my house for a shade I can do that with!
I LOVE it as a party hat too!!
-Heather:)

Heather said...

One more reason to love the ragamuffin!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Girl you are REALLY good!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I have never seen a lampshade so cute before! I love the garland and letter you put on it! So dang cute!

Valarie Lea said...

This is great! My son doesn't even have a lamp in his room, but he will know!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I have been wanting to make a ragamuffin garland...just haven't taken the time to do it. How long did it take you to do one that size?

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Love it, I've got the garland on my mind too!

Heathahlee said...

You so crazy! But I love the shade!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh...my I love that...but please be careful with fabric and lightbulbs...but it couldn't be cuter!
-sandy toes

southerninspiration said...

Love the hat, er lampshade....

Pretty Organizer said...

Darling! I think I can use that idea to cover up all of the doodles my kids have done on their lamp shade... anyone have boys??? AHHHH.... don't they get that a lamp shade is a piece of furniture? No0000 way.... mine has comic strip doodles and signatures on it... Yep. Pretty Organizer admits... I have graffiti on my lamp shades (only the ones in my kids rooms... I may just need to stick to ceiling fans!)

Mimi Sue said...

Love the hat, er lampshade. Mimi

Laura said...

Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fire hazard :(

Amber B. said...

Fun idea for the lampshade! And where did you get the plaid bedding? I was thinking of something similar when my munchkin moves to his "big boy bed."

Katy said...

Love what you did w/ the ragamuffin garland on the shade. Cute

Anonymous said...

How decorative/creative! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

So creative and cute!

abeachcottage said...

Hi Kimba

hmmm I like this, I would like one in all white...

Sarah