16 July 2008

A Mini-Reveal and A Question

I'm so excited that I get to share a couple of photos of the new house. You guys were all pretty close with your guesses yesterday. It's not completely finished yet, but you'll get the idea.

First up, the outside front.


The front door still needs to be painted and there's some sort of decorative piece that goes above the set of three windows in the middle. I'm disappointed that there's no front porch but don't tell my hubby. I'm putting on a brave face for him. :-)

Here's a shot of the fireplace in the family room. The mantel still needs to go on. It's a wood-burning fireplace and I can't wait to roast some marshmallows in the fall.


And here is the part that I'm most excited about. The covered back porch. I've never had one before and I've been dreaming about the curtains I can hang and how I can fluff it all up.


Thanks for taking a quick look around with me. Lots more to come! Now here's my question...What should I do with this?


I found it at a yard sale while I was on vacation. Yes, I found a yard sale on vacation. I was so excited to get it but now I don't know what to do with it. Should I paint it? Leave it as-is? Put something in it? Any ideas?


post signature

55 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Linda said...

Wow someone else is up just like me. I found your blog about a week or so ago and I have so enjoyed it. I love the title and all your decorating ideas and furniture painting. Enjoy your new home.
Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful house indeed!... Boy are we in for some sweet post by you... I cant wait! Dont be sad about the porch.. maybe you can add one later. I think it looks great as is but I know what it's like to want a front porch... Im still wanting... I do have a back porch so its not too bad. I want to come over there and snitch that birdhouse .... Im all for painting it if it stands still but that wood is so pretty it just looks good as is..... When will yall be able to move in?...Have fun! Susie h~

emily freeman said...

Beautiful house...I can't wait to watch you make it home.

And that yard sale cage: love it! It would be pretty painted, I think. Either way, you will make it perfect. Or at least beautiful!

I added you to my list of people I wish I knew in real life on my sidebar. I've been meaning to do that for a while now. Hope that's okay with you!

Anonymous said...

wow! Its beautiful! I just love it! I cant wait to move into my new home, I know you must be sooo excited! I cant wait to see what you do with the back porch!

And I love the bird cage in orange! I think it would also look fantastic in red! :)

Amber said...

You of all people are asking if you should paint it?!? Get out your can, girl! ;) I think it would look fabulous with a color makeover.

Your new covered back porch will be such a cozy spot to relax! I look forward to seeing how you decorate your new home!!!

Jackie ♥ said...

Very nice new house...how exciting for you to move into a ne home. I know we went from having a wrap around porch to a little uncovered porch...I'm trying to think of ways to make it cozy.

I love the bird cage, what fun find...I am in favor of painting it. I'm sure whatever you do will end up beautiful!

Blessings,
Jackie

My2Gs said...

What a beautiful home. I bet you're super excited. We built and moved into our new home in January :)
~ Lacie

Darlene said...

Oh your home looks FABULOUS and big. I can't wait till we see the first fabulously decorated space.

Trixi said...

That is a great yard sale find. There are so many wonderful possiblilities. I love Susie's idea of putting towels in a bird cage. Maybe hand a tassel on it. I also love it as is or painted maybe red or black. As for the house, it is wonderful. I can't wait to see what you do with the porch. I need all the ideas I can get for this massive porch we now have. I hope you enjoy your new home!!! Have a great day!!!!

Unknown said...

Your new house is awesome!
I found a bird cage too...think I'll paint mine and use it on the porch.
Check it out in today's post!
Diane

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Beautiful home and can't wait to see your special touches.

Anonymous said...

Kimba, Your new house is perfect and I can't wait to see all the projects you are going to be doing.
I would hang the bird cage on that back porch with the filmy curtains. It would look great there.

Gretchen

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

The new house is beautiful! Love the back porch. (You can always add on a front porch someday...)

And was your question about the bird cage rhetorical?

Shannon said...

Can't wait to see all the decorating posts in your new home!!!

Anonymous said...

The house is so pretty. I cannot wait to watch you bring it to life. You're going to have so much fun.

Birdcage. I like it the color it is. But, if you were to paint it, I like red. I found a cage, painted it, and put a faux plant inside it. (faux sounds so much better than fake) I also found a really cute decorate butterfly clippie at Michael's that I clipped on the cage. It looks like the butterfly is trying to get in the cage. So pretty. Well, to me it is.

-- Brandi

Tiffany said...

I love the new house and I'm terribly envious of that back porch. Just imagine how serene it will be to sit out there while it's raining!

Angela said...

I love that back porch! And it will look so good with some flowing curtains.
I'm still in shock that you (of all people) would ask if you should paint something!

Kitty Scraps said...

Wow, what a beautiful new home! Can't wait to see it after you've fluffed it up!

Anonymous said...

Your house is absolutely beautiful! I look forward to seeing it when you're all moved in and settled as well as the many posts of fun projects that moving always brings!

As fare as the bird cage goes... my sister in law has a cute bird cage that she used to decorate a little side table in her living room. She placed battery operated candles of varying sizes in it. The candles create a nice glow in the cage without making it a fire hazard. Just an idea :)

Kristen said...

Your home is lovely!! I love having a front porch but I think I would be even more excited about that back one! What a great yard sale find too - and yes, paint it!!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely house. It will be exciting to see how you decorate it. I love the back patio. I have one but I cannot do much because of the DUKE. I've thought about curtains back there but I doubt he would leave them alone. He may use them to swing himself around. He's that crazy and playful.


Blanca

Unknown said...

Looks great...can't wait to see what you do with it...as for the birdhouse, I'm at a loss too, I have had one in my garage for years, cause I just didn't know what exactly to do with it...although I think I'm going to paint it a bright color, to really show off it's design...that is something you have inspired.

Anonymous said...

I love your new house Kimba!! I love the brick and shutter color combination -how striking!! Loving your back porch too -that will be so beautiful once you get it prettied up. I can't wait to see more. :)

Nicole said...

Wow, what a beautiful home. I really love the back porch, I can't wait to see how you fluff it all up.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You don't have a front porch, but you have a back one and can do your magic while watching the kids on the swing set. Love the bird house...wait til you are decorating and then see where you want it.
I posted my painted paint shout out to you today. I couldn't wait til the whole wall was done, so just started with this.:)
Balancing beauty and bedlam, Jen:)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oops...that was suppose to read "painted plate." This editing thing just takes too much time.

Aubrey said...

Maybe you could get your husband to build you a front porch (like the Nester did). It looks like a nice house. I love all the windows--I don't know why, but I really love single-hung windows with grids. They look so classic.

Kelly said...

We just moved into a new-to-us home about a month ago. I am excited to watch you decorate your new home as you always have such good ideas! You have truly motivated me to want to remodel furniture instead of buying new. Thank you for that!

Blogger said...

I love that cage! I would wait until you know where you are going to put it...and then I would probably spray paint it to match the area. Your home is gorgeous! Enjoy your new back porch...how exciting!!! :)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Beautiful home! I am so excited for you! Can't wait to see your decorating reveals in the house!

I know you are terribly busy moving, but if you get a chance, I am hosting an online virtual Baby Shower for Heather at Hopscotch and Hydrangeas next Friday, the 25th. You can see my blog for more details. But I hope you can participate!

Good luck in your move! Hope everything goes smoothly for you!
~Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kimba! Your home is breathtaking and so big! It's just lovely and I'm so proud for you! Yay! My guess was right for your fireplace - it a beauty! I'll be waiting for more tours. Count me in.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Merrie said...

Beautiful house!! Congrats! I can't wait to see what you'll do to it. How fun to have a fresh start.

angela | the painted house said...

Beautiful! I know you must be SO EXCITED about moving in! You are a girl after my own heart...yard sales on vacation!

Anna Maria Junus said...

Congrats on your new house. It looks big!

And yes, I think you should paint the bird cage, especially after seeing what you can do.

scargosun said...

What color is it? Orange? If it will go with any of your color schemes for the rooms I'd keep it.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous house! For a new house, it has a lot of character. Love the back porch too! Now the birdcage, I think painted white with some ribbon trailing from the top would be beautiful. Not sure how it opens, but maybe you could stick bath towels in it.
Libby

Katie said...

Your home is beautiful! Love the back porch!

Angie's Spot said...

The new house is gorgeous! Enjoy it. Especially that back porch. Can't wait to see what magic you work on that space!

Heathahlee said...

I can't wait to see what you do with your new house! It's just sittin' there...waiting to be Kimba-ed!

As for the bird cage, you know you can't resist the spray paint!

leezee52 said...

Just beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kimba!
I love your new house...BEAUTIFUL! I think the bird cage would be nice painted black or white or maybe red or green. I think it would be pretty just about any color expect what it is now. I am sure you will know just what to do with it.
Suzanne
P.S.-I will e-mail a picture of my table when I have it spray painted and finished.

Chelsea said...

I would add a plant inside the bird cage. After painting it.

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a beautiful new house. And BIG!!!

Even though you don't have a front porch....I'm sure you'll think of something to spice it up or give the illusion of one.

Hmmm....paint the cage....but I have no idea what to put in it...besides a bird of course....but that's too obvious.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Love the new house!!! How fun to have a fresh slate for all of your amazing ideas!!!

xo

Kelly said...

Nice House!

I would paint that bird house in
Robin's nest color!

I have been looking for a bird house that I like for awhile. Guess you beat me to it! :)

Enjoy your new house!

Gretchen said...

I am SO happy for you! What a wonderful house to turn into a home!

The bird cage ... so jealous! I've been looking for one too! Get out the spray paint and work your magic!

I, too, have added you to my 'check these out' list on my own blog.
The past two have been dedicated to your spray painting authority!

Lacey in the Sky said...

Kimba!! IT'S GORGEOUS! That back porch is to die for! I can't wait to see how you make this place even more beautiful! Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Kimba,
Love the new digs! You are going to have such a great time decorating that porch. It's fabulous! I vote on white for the bird house. Only b/c I just painted mine...smile! I put moss covered rocks, a small bird nest, and a starfish inside. Yours is larger though, but however you fluff it I'm sure it will be beautiful.

-Hayley

Melissa Lee said...

Hey, I was looking over your comments and realized I was never able to leave you a comment about putting up my info. on Saturday (due to the horrific internet connection in the NC mountains.) I am so sorry. It really meant so much to me that you chose to put that up. I appreciate you, my new, sweet friend.

Love to you,
Melissa at Stretch Marks

Lacey in the Sky said...

Oh, you're so sweet :) I'm doing okay! Much better than last week! Boy and I are talking and going to try to work through it. I just have to trust that God will lead me the right way! Thank you for asking :)

cherry said...

Hello there! I have been enjoying my visit here! Great inspiration...we have similiar tastes. I also love spray paint. Love your new digs! The birdcage would be gorgeous black...or just about any color. cherry

Cathy said...

Your new home is beautiful!
I have been enjoying reading your blog. I found you through my sister, Caren- City Momma/Country Momma.

We are also building a new house and will be moving in the fall. I have tons of pictures of ours on my blog!

Can't wait to see what cool things you do to your new home!

Mary said...

Pretty new house! And that birdhouse...on the covered back porch, of course!

Hillary said...

So much fun! I know moving is stressful, but your new home is beautiful. Love the fireplace too! I look forward to seeing it after your special touch has been added!

The birdhouse is too cute. I think I might paint it black..possibly even distress it a little and put a cool plant in it on your beautiful back porch! I am sure you will come up with something precious!

Missi said...

Stick a bird in it!!!!