16 June 2008

Imperfectly Beautiful

As The Nester always says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." She is hosting Imperfectly Beautiful today. We all get a chance to share those things in our lives that aren't perfect but are beautiful anyway.

This was an easy one for me. There were so many things to choose from. I love to fluff and fiddle with my home but it's sooooooo NOT perfect. I have two little boys and one big man living in this house. I may fancy something up but it rarely stays that way for long. But that doesn't mean that it's not beautiful and that I don't still love it.

Remember the front porch makeover I showed you here ?




Here's what it looked like at 8:00 last evening. The boys were having an evening snack so the candles were shoved aside to make way for Sesame Street sippy cups and a menagerie (there's a word you don't use everyday) of plastic animals that you would never find together in nature. The blanket and pillows were tossed to the ground to make a picnic spot.



I'm not sure a potential home buyer would think this was beautiful but I do. This is my life.

Here's another one...My niece and nephew stayed with us for the weekend. This was dinner Saturday night. My kitchen was a mess. There was junk everywhere. But the kids were having a ball. The pizza was a treat and they were chatting about the movie we were going to watch after dinner.


But this was the really beautiful part to my eyes.


Make sure you stop by Nester's to see more of Imperfectly Beautiful.


And then stop back here tomorrow. I have a project that I am so excited to show you. One of these pictures has a little hint of what is coming.

46 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Sarah Mae said...

You're right, what's really beautiful is LIFE, not the coldness of a perfection. Thanks for sharing this, I'm going to head over there...

The Nester said...

When I saw your porch the other day, you inspired me to do mistreatments on my porch! It's been years since we've had one and YOURS is adorable!

Love your post! Cannot wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

angela | the painted house said...

Did I tell you already that I love your porch? I would totally buy your house!

Great post, Miss Kimba!

Marianne said...

Life is there to be lived not looked at. Your photo's are proof and testiment to that.

Angie's Spot said...

I think the thing that I love most about your posts is knowing that a REAL person created such beauty. It's one thing to look at an idea in a magazine, but to see it executed makes me think I maybe could pull something off in my own home someday! Thanks for all the inspiration. Your porch is GORGEOUS!

Unknown said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is certainly true of our homes...if we allow it...sometimes I think we get to caught up in what is "supposed" to be, that we miss the mini moments that are so beautiful....
Can't wait to see your new project.

Anonymous said...

Life often distracts me from doing what is necessary. I love that you are open to showing your true life. Your family is so sweet.

Now, I cannot wait to see the new project. I love seeing your pretties.

-- Brandi

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I love the exuberance that shines through in your "imperfect" pictures. Beautiful!

~ Sarah

Nancy said...

Flashback. When my sons were little they used to play on my porch like that and I had a bright yellow wicker porch swing. Cherish today because the next thing you know it will be your GRANDSONS playing! Beautiful family. Nancy

Anonymous said...

It "is " perfect! I loved your posy as always... Thanks for sharing. Susie H

Blogger said...

I don't think it gets much more perfect than that!!! :) Thanks for the compliment on my son's room, it was so much fun to do!

Heathahlee said...

We hold hands when we ask the blessing, too! I have a funny story about that and my Grandaddy, too.

Your porch is still very inviting, even with kids and toys strewn about. Toys strewn, not kids. That sounds painful.

sara said...

Love your porch! Great pictures!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love your porch! The boys make it look like even more fun to hang out on. I've enjoyed reading your blog this morning! -Julia :-)

Darla said...

Awesome porch! Isn't is amazing how fast your countertops fill up? Drives me CRAZY!

Heathahlee said...

Oh, and by the way, you made my husband (and, of course, myself) laugh out loud with your comment on my blog!

katylinvw said...

this is absolutely precious!

aimee said...

Totally beautiful. I miss my "little boys" mine are 15, 13, and 11 now and their messes are not so cute anymore. I adore your porch.

Tiffany said...

I absolutely love the picture of your boys playing on the front porch. What's a house good for, if it's not lived in?

Finding Normal said...

I love that porch, and I love that those boys love it!

scargosun said...

Your porch STILL rocks! Not only is it pretty but the kids can still hang out on it.

Anonymous said...

I love your post, as usual. I think your porch and kitchen look great....yes, a truly great house is one you "live" in comfortably...not a museum.

Can't wait to see your newest project!

Amy Jo said...

What a treat to see a different type of "before" and "after" on your site. Your porch looks gorgeous all decorated up for the potential buyers, but I liked seeing the "after" picture right below with the kids playing. Thanks for sharing that!

Deb said...

Hi Kimba, I say the pictures that are without the family are Imperfectly Beautiful, and the pictures that show the family enjoying the space you've made is perfect. Deb

Jane said...

I love the porch in action! What lucky kids to have such a nice spot to play in. Also, take out is a *beautiful* thing!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You know...you just can't live your life if things don't get just a bit messy. Great pictures...and I am looking forward to seeing what project you have on the horizon.

Deanna said...

Great post! (again!) It's something that I have to remind myself of so very often. That it's not about having everything perfect and looking like it could be in a magazine, it's about enjoying and cherishing every living moment!

Amanda Jo said...

I just thought I'd let you know that I just tagged you for a 'meme' - or whatever it's called!

:) I love your blog!

Janell said...

What good is something pretty if you can't enjoy it? I love your porch & I am new to your blog and ABSOLULTY love it!!! Everything you talk about is just up my alley! Thanks for being a blessing to us readers!

~Janell

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Oh, I LOVE your front porch, even when it's a mess! What a happy, happy place.

Anonymous said...

There is beauty all around...
...when there's love at home.

Diane said...

Your messy porch looks better than my tidy one. :) Love it.

Still Learning said...

I totally love your porch. The porch is one of my favorite rooms in a home. Yes, I think of them as a room. Loving the drapes. I have got to do that.

Nicole said...

Can't wait to see what your doing tommorow. Loving this imperfectly beautiful stuff, it's helping me loosen up a little. Your house is beautiful, even with a crazy kitchen, the kitchen is the heart of the home right. I want to put up curtains on my porch now.

Megan O. said...

Love your porch and love the photo of the kids praying around the table.

Tabitha said...

Soooo beautiful!! I adore your porch--I've gotta get mine spruced up again, party or not! Check out my IDHTBPTBB post if you have a sec--a far cry from your porch! :)

Tabitha said...

A-HA! I just had to add that I love the post with the white plates! I'm loving your spray painting ideas--I'll letcha know when I get my project done. AND...I spotted some Southern Living At HOME pieces with those plates--the jar and the candle holder??? I sell the stuff and it's all over my house!!!! I love seeing it in other people's houses!!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Your porch is adorable, I'd love to feature it on my blog if you wouldn't mind, I've been showing outdoor rooms and I need to show some porches in the near future! This one is adorable! Do let me know if I can share your photo with proper credit of course!
Blessings,
melissa

Bonita said...

A truly beautiful life! That blue and yellow sunflower material is awesome!

Sissy said...

I love it, Kimba! I thought it was neat how you dressed up your porch!

Free Art Printables said...

Ha ha. I love it.I still think it looks great! Aren't we all like that?! Jen R

Melissa Lester said...

Beautiful pictures to match a beautiful post and beautiful heart!

Gretchen said...

Yes, I love the last picture best.

THAT is perfect!

Kitty Scraps said...

I love a porch and yours is lovely! I especially like your sunflower throw, it reminds me of home (I grew up in KS). Very heart warming post... can't wait to see what you hinted at!

Party of 5 said...

Oh that porch looks so inviting. I can't wait to have a porch to make homey.

Kristen said...

What a great porch! I am copying your curtain idea to hide the view of the next door neighbors!