26 October 2009

Make Your Home More Welcoming - Challenge #5



Make it smell good.

I don't know about you, but in our house we have 2 young boys. That means our house can smell like all sort of funkiness if I don't keep a breeze blowing.

Today's challenge is so simple...just make it smell good. That could mean lighting those fancy candles (what are you waiting for, anyway?) or maybe you could bake something yummy.

It doesn't get any easier, right?

Just joining our Make Your Home More Welcoming Challenge? Click here to read all about it and join in.

38 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

BlueCastle said...

I keep meaning to light my candles and get rid of some of the "boy smells" here. Thank you for the reminder. :) I've also been trying to make sure I turn off the furnace and open all the windows for 10 minutes each day. I'm hoping the fresh air will keep us healthier through the winter and help with those smells too.

Anonymous said...

Love having candles lit, but my husband's not a fan. He, however, would LOVE to have the smell of baking all of the time. :-) BUT since he's not home right now I think I'm going to light a candle. Thanks for the idea! Have a good day, Kimba!

Abbie said...

Yep, three small kids, not great smells. But I need some un-scented ideas because my hubby is allergic to many candle/freshener scents! Help!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

This IS a challenge for me...I have NO sense of smell. Zero. Zip. Ever! I usually just ask people which candles they think smell good, and I rely on my husband's nose to tell me if a baby's diaper is stinky or if the house needs a bit of Febreeze. ;)

Heathahlee said...

I loooove a great smelling candle. And I have three dogs plus one boy...yeah...my house usually smells less than inviting!

Skyes Scribbles said...

I LOVE CANDLES! When i am home they are lit all the time, all over the house! Everyone always tells me how good my house smells! it makes me feel so good!

Unless it's been raining and my dog has come in from outside! His stinkyness takes over! or if i've burnt something in the kitchen then it smells really bad! oh and if i'm just to exhausted to do anything when i get home i feel like the next morning while getting ready my house smells stale hahaha. Is that possible?

Lynda @ SportsMadGirl said...

I have this wonderful can of Febreze air effects that I am loving right now. It's called Pumpkin Harvest and Fall it smells sooooo good!!

Also burning the fall candles. There is nothing better than the smell of fall. To me it is even better than the smell of Christmas.

Miss Meg the Homemaker! said...

I love the smells of fall....especially all of the baking smells. My favorite candles are sugar cookie and pumpkin pie. Yum-o!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Just wait until they are teen-age boys, Kimba! I got a few great smelling candles from Kohl's about a month ago ~ very Fall and I have been lighting them in the evenings and weekends. They smell so good. I'm going to have to go back and see if I can get some more when they go on clearance!

Denise @ Life on Stepping Stone Lane said...

I always have candles burning and my Scentsy burners going! There is nothing better than walking into a yummy smelling house!!

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Always love candles, but am not a huge fan of the scented ones..., and right now I have a lingering curry smell from last night's (delicious) dinner. Open windows is pretty much my only solution.

Erin said...

My parents are selling their house, and I suggested they have some apple cider simmering on the stove during open houses. Warm drink for the interested folks, and a fantastic smell to boot!

Heather Henderson said...

that's one of the best tips, and one of the hardest to remember. I always mean to light one when I get home from work, but most nights I forget.

Chris said...

I also have two little ones that can bring on funkiness, but I'm also lucky to have a 150 lb. dog who drools all over. Bath and Body Works has wall plug-ins that are fantastic! They will change the whole scent of a room, AND there's no flame to worry about. My favorite is pumpkin spice! Mmmm...

Nicole Feliciano said...

hmmm. guess I should move the diaper pail I've been testing away from the front door....

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I have my pumpkin candle burning now! Yum!!!! I definitely agree it makes a home more welcoming.

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

I love candles! I actually have an entire kitchen cabinet filled with them, and I choose a new scent everyday.

Shawon said...

My favorite candle is Warm Apple Pie by Mainstay at Wal-mart. Baking and a beautiful smell all in one. Nice!

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

Three kids = three times the funkiness! And really, how do little kids get such stinky feet?!? BTW made your apple/pear crisp with some of my bumper crop of apples. It was delish! It was all I could do not to just put a hot pad on my lap and eat myself happy right from the pan! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Oh... I have been doing this lately and just love how it makes me a little happier and my home smell better, too. There's just something so welcoming and relaxing about candle light!

Gina said...

I love that, and it's so easy to do this time of year with great candles or baked goods! I'll add to this-I've got a friend that I totally trust to tell me when house smells like dog or stinky boys-cause I don't always notice!

My2Gs said...

It always worries me to have candles lit with small children in the house. I did a review for a company called Scentsy last year and have been in love with their plug in tart warmer ever since. They smell great without hogging up my counter tops and without a dangerous flame :)

the undomesticated wife said...

I found some {cheap} candles that actually smell good, and the scent lasts. Seems like that's hard to get unless you spend $$ on a candle. Walmart has a 3-wick spiced cider candle that was $5. And it's heavenly!

LouLou said...

My mom works in a shop that sells the YUMMIEST smelling candles evah! They are by Swan Creek and smell good enough to eat.... I have gingerbread ALWAYS...I also got a few pumpkin vanilla votives to try, and they are delicious... a little bit of yum yum with zero calories! ;)

grannyann said...

my daughter always has several candles burning. she never passes up a candle at a garage sale unless it smells bad. she is the candle queen.

Unknown said...

I love candles! great idea...living in an apartment, it's nice to have ideas to make the small space more homey

House Elf said...

Yes... candles really do help with 'boy' smells lol

Even helps with 'large dog' and a 'husband-who-likes-canned-fish' smells ;)

Right now I am loving cinnamon and bayberry!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

I don't burn candles as my husband's parents' house burned down to the ground many years ago . . . BUT the next best thing is I use Glade oil plug-ins.

I've used them for years. Everytime my neighbors come over they always comment how nice our house smells, whoo-hoo!!

I have an apple cinnamon one in the kitchen and it always smells like apple pie!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

I'm not positive how I'm supposed to play along:-) I do love candles! Now that my kids blow them out every time I light one, I use reed diffusers and this thingy that I plug-in that melts the wax. It's great!

dawn said...

I am all about the scents. I light candles even when it's just me.

Marie said...

Hello Kimba - such a nice way to make your home feel cozy, but lighting a candle. So simple yet makes a big impact. Contrary to what some people might say is strange, I light my candles during the daytime. I love the smell of cinnamon apples at noon!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Ellie Kings said...

A candle a day keeps odors away! :D
love my candles Kimba!

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

Our hot water tank exploded over the weekend, leaving our home smelly musty and sour. It's so disgusting. I've had all sorts of smelly candles burning in the days since. They're helping, but it's a slow process.

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

I have always loved candles but have this awful habit of leaving them burning! And I really don't like the smell that fills the house after I blow them out. I started using Scentsy burners last spring and love them. I have pumpkin roll and apple pie alternating days right now.

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

This is a great reminder! Mine currently smells like Halloween costumes tried on and worn for the majority of the days- meaning sweaty sugari-ness!! haha! THanks!

Sandra said...

Oh I love to light candles in my home. What a great post!
Blessings,
Sandra

Suzann said...

I haven't been doing this and I really really should. Thanks for this reminder. I love candles.

Furniture movers said...

Oh, I wish I could have on how to make that and make it smell good so that I could join.