17 August 2009

Simple Entertaining

This inspiring, motivating and comforting guest post comes from Sandy at 4 Reluctant Entertainers.

Sandy began encouraging me to practice hospitality before she ever knew who I was. You're going to love her too.



Kimba's like my sister, so when she said, hey can you guest for me? I was on it! That's just what sisters do for each other. I'd love it if Kimba could bring her family out to Oregon for dinner at my house, but living across the United States from each other, it's hard to make that happen.

In the meantime, as summer winds down, we're still enjoying outdoor dinners and entertaining in our backyard.

One of my favorite tablecloths, made from oilcloth, is perfect for outside entertaining. You can make a mess and it wipes right up. It also doesn't fade in the sun, which I love, and it's bright and cheery!

Last week my daughter had her soccer team over and we made the Ice Cream Trough. It was messy - the girls diving in and whipped cream going everywhere - but it wiped right up! You don't even have to throw the tablecloth in the washing machine. It's that easy!

Since we're in the middle of a kitchen remodel, I've taken a very simple approach to entertaining (yep, paper cups!)

And our summer garden goodness is always the best hot off the grill!

Veggies

Potatoes

Parsnips

Simple tomatoes and basil



Thank you for sharing your encouraging post with us, Sandy. If you can still entertain and practice hospitality while your kitchen is in your garage, I can do it too. I am so blessed to know you and I can't wait till you fly your pretty self across the country to visit.

Sandy's mission is to help reluctant hostesses become confident and gracious and to inspire the experienced hostess who is stuck in an entertainment rut. She does both of those things beautifully.

23 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I just love Sandy. She's always chock full of good ideas!!
Do I see broccoli flowers in that flower arrangement? The only reason I ask is because my son brought some flowering broccoli into me one day as a flowering bouquet and insisted that I put it in water!
http://homesteadersheart.blogspot.com/2009/01/stop-and-smell-broccoliflowers.html
Hugs!
Kim

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great guest post! Thanks for writing, Sandy and thanks for having her over, Kimba! :)

I am a recovering reluctant entertainer. I'm still in treatment, haha. With two little ones home all day tearing the house apart, I felt like I couldn't have people over. I decided that so long as my house is clean, people will forgive a Cabbage Patch kid and a Fisher Price car or two on the floor. :)

Kelly @ Wisdom Begun said...

Those pictures are gorgeous! And the food looks delicious. I want to come visit!!

Kathy C. said...

YUM! Makes me want to grill some veggies - those look delicious!

Tiffany said...

What beautiful photos! I love the simple entertaining ideas. I need a stash of ideas like this because my mind always goes blank!

Don't forget to come by and enter my giveaway, I think you'll like it. :)

http://songbirdtiff.blogspot.com/2009/08/its-time-for-giveaway_17.html

Runner Mom said...

Her posts always inspire me...but then I usually don't follow through....except for the paper cups! I'm all over that! She has a great website!! Thanks, Kimba!
Hugs,
Susan

Misty said...

YUM!!!! Oh my goodnes, I've never read your blog, but I read this one all of the time. I have to subscribe to yours... I live in Boise and now I want to come over for dinner too! :)

The Runyans said...

yum yum. that looks so delish!!! would you believe i am craving to go the store to buy some fresh veggies to cook up a delish meal! ahaahahhhh!!! need some ME TIME, bad and i pick the grocery store to spend it at. what's wrong with me? :)

Suzann said...

I adore Sandy.
She has inspired me to invite people over for a football game next weekend even though my house isn't finished. Let's hope my nerves survive. : )

Girl with the Curlz said...

Yummy!! It looks delicious.

Little Lovables said...

Oh, those veggies and potatoes look amazing!

Maria said...

Good morning from upstate, New York!
Grilled veggies is what my husband makes for dinner... just sooooo delish!

Wonderful blogs... thank you for sharing with all of us!
~Maria

Unknown said...

Sandy is a doll. The best thing I can say about Sandy is that she is a daughter of Christ and a tribute to her husband and family.

Thanks for highlighting her.

Cynthia

Unknown said...

I love her blog! Such a great guest, I use her advice all the time. She really has inspired me to entertain more.

Melissa Miller said...

It all looks delicious. Her blog is wonderful! ;)

joyh82 said...

Everything looks so nice. I love that blue and red together and the pitcher.

GiBee said...

Well, if she flies across country, then she needs to stop by my house and visit too! I'm an East Coast girl!

Melanie said...

Love the outside table decorations. Beautiful!

Gina said...

Thanks for sharing! Sandy's blog has always been an encouragement to me!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, does this look delish! Wish I could head over to Oregon myself. :-)

Anonymous said...

What delicious-looking pictures! I love entertaining; however, I love the oil clothe idea! It would probably reduce my stress when the boys' friends come over!

Unknown said...

Such wonderful and simple ideas - Love them all!

Anonymous said...

Yum yum. that looks so delish!!! would you believe i am craving to go the store to buy some fresh veggies to cook up a delish meal! ahaahahhhh!!!thanks
--
Reenee
You cannot go wrong on the best security systems