06 May 2009

Re-Use It ~ Jute Twine Vase

This project didn't cost me a dime. Did I mention that I still have 5.5 lbs of jute rope left over from this project?

Do you want to try it? Here's what you need:

  1. Cheap glass container - mine is one of the freebies that came when The Hubster sent me flowers a while back. Thanks, baby! They're a dime a dozen at Goodwill. The vase. Not The Hubster.
  2. Jute rope - I'm down to only 5 lbs left from my roll. What WILL I do?
  3. Glue gun
  4. Diet Dr. Pepper - This is a must
  5. Hint of lime tortilla chips - entirely at your discretion

This is so simple, I feel kind of silly showing you how to do it.


Attach the end of your twine at the bottom of your vase and start wrapping and gluing as you go.


Keep wrapping and gluing.

And wrapping and gluing until you've covered the vase with twine.

And that's it! I filled mine with some dogwood branches from the backyard. I love the rustic texture of the vase.

Aerial shot! This DIY jute vase Works for Me!

Giving credit: This post was inspired by what Thrifty Decor Chick did with some sisal twine and a Goodwill vase after she was inspired by Ballard Designs.

~~~~~~~~~~

Do you want some more inspiration?
Did you get your copies of Remodeling Guy's and The Nester's e-books? What are you waiting for??? They're both seriously great reading! And they're FREE!
~~~~~~~~~~

Even more inspiration...
Handkerchief hanging vases: laurie cinotto art + craft
Pottery Barn inspired paint job: Paint with Personality
Outdoor buffet makeover: The Pleasures of Homemaking
Painting over paneling: Be This Way
Door arrangement redo: Sweet Pea (look what she used as the base!!!)
Blooming drawers!: nannygoat



63 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Love it! I have a whole cabinet full of those free vases. I knew I was saving them for a reason. And those dogwood branches are AMAZING!!!

~Amanda

Anonymous said...

Danggit, I just gave away all my old vases about 3 months ago (before I discovered the joy of spray paint and thrifty makeovers.) :)

Good thing Mother's Day is coming up!
Oh, and those branches are just gorgeous!!!

Still Learning said...

Wow, you did a great job. I love to use dogwood branches from my backyard too. I don't know what it is about the dogwoods but I love them.

Pretty Organizer said...

5lbs left?... hmmmm.... how about a summer jute purse? Jute placemats? Jute mirror frame? Jute Jute Jute... such a fun word to say. I'd let the kids make a jute fort.

Fab idea friend. I'm getting ready to redo another piece of furniture. Thank heaven for $15 craigslist finds!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I love these vases! The regular old ones just do nothing for me. Thanks for the great idea!

Rebecca
RootsAndWingsCo.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

awesome as always kimba! :-)

Paula@SweetPea said...

I love your vase. Now this I can do without having to buy a thing!

Thanks for "featuring" my tennis racket arrangement on your blog. I have a cracked racket (broken in a fit of tennis fury by hubby) that I could use for another arrangement. Maybe for summer!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Love the vase! So...how long did it take you to make it? I've got lots of those vases around...no jute twine though. Where would I find that? Hobby Lobby???? Beautiful dogwood!

Andi @ A Little Piece of Pink said...

I am sooooo going to copycat you on this one. I LOOOVE it! Have you seen these at TJ Maxx? Who the heck would buy one when they can make one? I am going to bring home my twine from my classroom today so that I can do this. I LOOOVE your blog! Thanks for all the fab ideas.
Andi

I need to do a post on all my "copycat" projects. ;o)

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

This is too funny! I just saw a vase like this for 20.00 in Michael's yest., and thought "I could make that!"!!! And how perfect to see this on your post today :)! It turned out great, now I know I'll have to try it!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Looks fabulous!!! Love it!

Runner Mom said...

Just adorable! I have one of those leftover vases from Hubby and the boys as well! Great idea!! I just don't have 5.5 pounds of jute--you are too funny!!

I read yesterday's post--love your new stuff! And the apron is too cute!! Thanks so much for your ideas!!

Hugs,
Susan

The Nester said...

I love it and I LOVE those chips!

Joanna said...

Very cute! I have a vase just like that, it's sitting in the closet....maybe I should get some jute!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

This is beautiful! I have some twine and a glue gun and an old vase...Perhaps by the end of the day I'll have a beauty like yours!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, that's adorable. I saw what Sarah did with hers too & this one is really neat too. I'm with ya on the Diet Dr. Pepper (my fave) and the lime chips are one of the best things ever. We could sure snack together. :)

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Love it and love the wreath! I have a bunch of twine from the Target dollar bins that I'm itchin to use. I need to think of something else to wrap!!

Chris said...

Uh oh. One more reason we're destined to be friends? I LOVE lime tortilla chips! :) I love the vase, but I wonder if cutting the jute into 95 inch sections and making curtain panels for every room of your home would be a better use. It'd be like those beaded room dividers from the 70's. Just a thought. ;-)

MagicMarkingsArt said...

Thanks for the project - what a great cheap way to add texture to a space. My mind is spinning with ideas!
cheers!

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

Fabulous!!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Wouldja look at that? Very clever! I never would've thought to do that with my old glass vases.

Kristen, pajama mama said...

jute is on my shopping list...now for 2 projects!

mommy4life said...

That is great!

Megan said...

So cute... I just posted a project using manilla rope and a lampshade yesterday. I have another project in mind similar to yours to use with the rest of the left over rope. It's so summery. I wish we had dogwood trees down here, so pretty!

~M

Unknown said...

It is such a great idea and who doesn't have one of those florist vases. Very pretty.

Cynthia

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Now that's a great idea! I have so many ugly glass vases that I didn't know what to do with. I would have NEVER thought to do this. You're too creative for your own good:-)

Nepperess said...

Kimba, I love it! Keep up the brilliant ideas!

Katy said...

Really cute and earthy. I wonder if my vase would turn out this darling if I had a Diet Vanilla (sonic) coke on hand? Hmmmm, it's to ponder for sure.

Carrie said...

Super cute idea. I love how it turned out!

Jen S. said...

awesome! :)

Mrs. Jones said...

Nice work, Kimba!

~Heather

ashley said...

jute was just added to my shopping list as well! thanks for the idea!

Unknown said...

I love this idea!

Nancy

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

The jute with the flowers looks so, so pretty! I love this, I'll be linking.

Heathahlee said...

I have a vase just like that! I have a few others that would look good like that, too.

Girl, where do you find the time to find all these great links? I'm glad you do so you can share with us! : )

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful!!
I love your creativity!

Kim Pigue said...

Such a cute idea! I am going to try this myself!!!

Laural Out Loud said...

I'm totally doing this! I have a box full of clear glass vases on my patio, headed for Goodwill. I'm going to grab them ALL, and swipe my mom's glue gun (which I've never used before, so if there's a learning curve, I'm screwed) and make me some of these cool vases!

~SHANNON~ said...

Ya know what? That is surprisingly beautiful in it's earthy simplicity! Thanks for the inspiration!

punkinmama said...

Wow! Those look great! I'm seriously in love with your blog!

Christy said...

I loved your idea so much I ran out to Michael's to buy the jute! I have a few of those old vases around that will perfect. No dogwoods around here, but I'll substitute something Florida-ish. Thanks for the great idea!

Jo said...

That looks lovely! I especially like the dogwood branches in it. I've been thinking about this project ever since I saw the one at Thrifty Decor Chick. I need to organise my craft stuff first (still hasn't happened since we moved in).

Melissa said...

Kimba! I loved how this turned out and the branches are beautiful!

Amy said...

What a great idea! I love the look of the vase...and those dogwood branches are gorgeous! I will be doing this project...with the Diet Dr. Pepper close by. Love that stuff!

Kimberlee said...

Reminds me of a day-care craft I did as a kid with beer bottles(!!) and type of colored twine-like material. Yours, of course, looks much better!! And to go with those chips, some PACE Tequila Lime Salsa - it's yummm!

Lisa said...

I love this! I just started following you so now I have to get caught up!
:)Lisa

Vintagesquirrel said...

This is my kind of project! I'm all about quick & easy right now. And, the best part is that I have all the necessary supplies. (Well, I may have to substitute Diet Coke for the DP.)

This really is a fantastic way to fancy-up those free vases. It has a wonderful natural look to it - perfect for Spring.

Thanks for your tweet. I plan to post my newest "anthropologizing" attempt tonight. Please stop by my blog to check it out...

-Michelle

Lana said...

Oh my gosh, I love this!!! I so have to try it!!!

Unknown said...

Seriously LOVE the whole thing, except I'd have Diet Pepsi and Sunchips. To each her own!
I'm pretty sure I still have some of those vases, might even have some jute. I smell a copy cat project!

Melissa said...

I actually came across that post yesterday on her blog :D I love it! It looks so easy, but expensive even though it isn't! Thanks for showing us how to pull it together!

Melissa :D

Jenny said...

Great idea. I can't wait to try it out!

Niki Jolene said...

I love it. Love it, love it, love it!!!!

:)

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hey Kimba- I could use a little texture around here, I'll be trying that soon. I have other vases that are ugly ceramic that might find themselves drowning in jute very soon...

I'm having a "Here's your Sign" link party on Friday if you're interested!

~Misti

Unknown said...

That is such an excellent idea! I love how it turned out.

Taking Heart said...

am glad i'm not the only one who includes snacks into the steps of a project!

Unknown said...

LOVE this - shared it on Tumblr

BeThisWay said...

Hi Kimba!

Love this project! And thanks so much for calling my post on painting paneling inspirational, and the link love!

Lisa @celebrate CREATIVITY said...

I love this idea. So easy too. The dogwood branches look amazing too.

So wonderful to find you thanks to Melissa and browse your wonderful projects.

Enjoy your day!

Elisabeth said...

Neat idea? Did you just use Elmer's glue?

Elisabeth said...

Oops! I just saw that you used a glue gun - not Elmer's. :)

kristin maynes said...

I will be making one of these This Weekend!! Love it!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Fantastic! mY DINING room wants one of these! I am linking to this!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Hello Kimba! I would like to link your jute vase post to mine if you don't mind. I just tried my very own jute vase. Got inspired from yours! Thanks! Vanessa