24 April 2009

Stenciled Tote Bag: Frugal Friday

Today's post is for Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest. My project isn't a home decor project but it was frugal and I love it!



Take one 90% off canvas tote bag from Kohls.



Add a letter "K" stencil and some fabric paint and what do you get?



A personalized bag that will be a great tote for the library (you know, that place we go every few weeks to pay our overdue fines).



All that for $4.50! Which is good because our library fines are way more than that. Stop by The Shabby Nest for more Frugal Friday!


45 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Kimba!
Dare I think I'm the first poster? Probably not as I type rather slow *smiles* I work next door to Kohl's and never manage to visit. You've given me motivation to get in there for some discounted totes, I love yours!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Hmmmm...I haven't been to Kohl's in ages. Love your tote! Great idea! I still haven't messed with fabric paint.

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Very cute! I love how you made it your own. And by the way, I seem to have the same problem with that place called "the library" :).

Megan said...

This is exactly what I had in mind for our upcoming trip to Disney next weekend. Now I know where to get a tote! I love the way it turned out!

Unknown said...

So cute! Just out of curiosity, how much are you fines? Mine are HUGE and I am just wondering if there are other moms out there that this happens to. :)

I'm going out now to look for a tote bag, probably something smaller so I can't fit a lot of books.
Less books = less fines! lol :-)

Joanna said...

OH how cute! I have a green bag very very similar to this. What a fabulous idea!

Dawn said...

What a great tip, I love that bag!

Hugs from Eventually Cottage!

Anonymous said...

My library fines were WAY more than that this time.

So sad...I could have bought the books for what I ended up paying in fines...

Love the bag - maybe if I made one it would inspire me to get the books back on time.

Lisa

Unknown said...

Kohl's is a great place for super deals. I bought some red napkins there yesterday 2/$1. Love them! Your tote looks super. Thank you for sharing.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Kimba, that is just too cute! I love a great tote bag, and your personalization and pin is the perfect finishing touch :)!!

oldwomaninashoe said...

I made these for my son and daughter. Only it is for them to keep whatever toys or books they want in the car with them. Now all I have to say is, "Pack it up guys.". I got mine in the craft department at WalMart.

Decor To Adore said...

That bag is so adorable I am sure that they will wave the fees. :)

Stop by for my 200th post giveaway.

Chris said...

I loves me some personalization! Cute idea!

Carol Kennon said...

Love the tote. Thaks for the reminder about my library books being due! :)

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Very cool Kimba! Nothing like a great clearance deal at Kohl's, you know you're getting something good.

~Misti

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Sometimes, OK a lot of times, the 5 cent late fee they have at our library just isn't worth the effort! Love the bag.

Kimba said...

For those of you who are curious, I expect my library fines to be about $15 this time. We have two books that are missing-in-action so I suspect we'll be purchasing them.

At this point that will probably be cheaper than paying the fines. The library books have such a bad habit of getting mixed up with our regular kids books (which are numerous) and then we can't find them. Argh!

I try and look at it as a donation to the library and it makes me feel better.

Kimba

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Cute bag!

My library recently began taking payment for fines online. Thank goodness - I never have cash on me, and I always have fines!

HSingMama said...

LOL! I was thinking about our library fines this morning.Oh...if only I could get it together.

Love the stencil idea! I have a bag or two that could use some sprucing up.

Wendy said...

You are so funny! I love this idea! Very cute. (You know I love a monogram!)

Heathahlee said...

That tote is so cute! You did good with 90% off! I LOVE finding stuff like that!

And I never have library fines. (polishing my halo here) ; )

Niki Jolene said...

I love it...what a cute gift this would make!

Oh and I had to laugh at the commenter who said they told themselves that their fines were "donations" to help the library. I tell myself the very same! LOL

:)

Free Art Printables said...

Ha. I thought I was the only one who supported the library financially! ;) Jen

Debra from Bungalow said...

Love this idea!
I usually get too many books when I go to the library and don't have time to read them! No fines yet....

Andrea @ Big Creek Cottage said...

Great idea!

Mrs. Petrie said...

I love this! It looks like those expensive Lands End bags.

Meredith said...

What a great idea! My problem with using a stencil and fabric paint is that the paint always seems to seem through to where I don't want it and/or I bump the stencil. Any tips?

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

I love the flower on the bag too! Looks like a pleated poppy pin! Such a pop of color and very, very cute!

Shannon (The Daily Balance) said...

so cute! now if only I had ANY artistic ability...

Anonymous said...

Love it! The flower in the corner makes it even cuter. (And thanks for the reminder that my library books are due today.)

Precision Quality Laser said...

Awesome idea! Love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Kimba, that is amazingly creative!

Happy Friday!!

Pretty Organizer said...

Amen on the Library Fines! With our Ocoto-mongus family we have paid enough to have the Library named after us. It may be cheaper for us to buy the books.

Lovely tote. Every girl needs a tote with her initials on it!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Super cute! And it reminds me that it's time to pay my library fines as well.
:)

Anonymous said...

Hehe! I just broke my record library fine with a whopping $25.50...thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in keeping my library afloat :) Although, having a cool library bag like that to use may just spark my memory to return things ON TIME!

desiree said...

Great idea. Makes me in a hurry for the slow days of summer....I think I have a project for the weekend! thanks.

desiree said...

Great idea. Makes me in a hurry for the slow days of summer....I think I have a project for the weekend! thanks.

Barbara Jean said...

Cute bag!!

blessings,
Barbara Jean

Crissie said...

How creative, but thanks (not so much) for bringing to my memory that my library fees are piling up too. aarrggghhh! Maybe they'd take it easy on me if I showed up with a cute bag?

xoxoxoxo

Phaedra said...

How adorable! I love the simple idea and it makes it so cute! I think it would be a great idea for gifts as well for all my busy lady friends!

The Davidson Den said...

Funny. I've got the same library problem! Ha! And cute bag, by the way.

Tiffany said...

Very cute idea...love it! I'm a sucker for monograms! Thanks for sharing.

Bahama Shores Mama said...

I recently had to change library totes as my almost 13 yr old boy will now run in for me while I wait in the car with the other kids for the quick trips. He was NOT loving the floral print one. I just may have to copy your idea with our last name initial on neutral colors. Thanks

Unknown said...

Great post Kimba, I am going to Kohl's to get a bag.... Thanks for sharing,

Cynthia

Allison said...

Very Pretty!