08 December 2008

Wreath-a-Palooza

I love me a pretty wreath. I love to make them, hang them or wear them as hats. OK. Not really. But if you sit still for long around here, I might just hang one around your neck.

Here are a few favorites from my house.



This one was inspired by a pinecone wreath in the Pottery Barn catalogue a couple of years ago. 178 pinecones and 83 hot glue sticks later and here she is.



This one was Pottery Barn inspired too. There no way was I spending $100 for a wreath. I don't care how fabulackas it is.



And this one? Oh GLORY! I still remember the day I knew I would make her. Some fru-fru designer guy was showing wreaths on Good Morning America. For me, it was love at first sparkly glance.



This is one of my favorite places to hang a wreath...over a mirror. Where do you hang your wreaths?


post signature

67 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

The Style Sisters said...

Wow your wreaths are just gorgeous! I love the idea of haning one on the mirror so you get double the pleasure of looking at it! You have inspired me.

The Style Sisters said...

Wow your wreaths are just gorgeous! I love the idea of haning one on the mirror so you get double the pleasure of looking at it! You have inspired me.

Mrs. Dunbar said...

My wreaths always go over the front door, the fresh one and then another in my foyer. Your wreaths are fabulous. I'm off to get my glue gun...

Anonymous said...

Your wreaths are fabulakas! I like to hang a wreath in an empty picture frame on my wall. Now where's my glue gun hiding... come out come out wherever you are... come to Mama....

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Oh So Pretty! Each and every one. My wreath is in my last post. Similar to one of yours. : )

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Do tell how you made that last one!! It is beeeeutiful!! Did you just hot glue them on? I see that all over but that seems too simple with glass ornaments!

Heathahlee said...

Those are just gorgeous! I have made a couple of wreaths, but just simple ones. I'll probably blog about them soon. I have one right now on my wall above my piano, where all my little snow people are. This is the first year I have a themed spot in my house, and I love it!

Back to the wreaths, I put one over each window in front, just a simple green wreath with a big red bow on it. I'll try to post about them, too!

Amber Filkins said...

Pretty! I put mine on the front door, entry mirror, bathroom mirrors {they're extra large with double sinks, so I hang them in the middle}, in the windows in the living room, and the windows in the bathrooms.


I have lots of wreaths apparently! But they're not as fabulous as those! They are much plainer wreaths that dream of being like yours when they grow up.

Tanya said...

love the wreath over the mirrow! so beautiful!

Linda said...

You're talkin' to another wreath lover here sister! I just posted about it as a matter of fact. Last week I bought a table top wreath holder for $6 and I'm thrilled. They're so versatile.

Your wreaths are gorgeous!

I went to a Pottery Barn outlet today...all their Christmas stuff was 50% off! I got some incredible treasures!

Michelle said...

They are all so pretty! I especially love the one that is over the mirror.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

They're gorgeous!

I'm ashamed to admit I don't have any wreaths up yet. (okay...I have my advent wreath but I'm not sure that counts)

I've been thinking of making one or two or three and I've gotten some great ideas from you just now! All I have to do is find time to get the supplies and make them. (hmmmm)

TidyMom said...

WOW! They're gorgeous!! I just made my first wreath this weekend! check it out! http://tidymomof2.blogspot.com/2008/12/glass-ball-ornament-wreath.html

You've inspired me to try making more......maybe next year!

~Tidymom

CMB said...

Great looking wreaths and yes do tell how you made the last one! I love wreaths too...favorite place to hang them is on the inside of a window. I love them over a mirror but some how I have never managed to have the right mirror hanging in the right place!

Chris said...

I love every single one of them. Each one is better than the last! I couldn't stop staring at your door, though. So pretty!

Sarah Mae said...

How pretty! I never thought about hanging a wreath over a mirror...I like it!

Kelley said...

I love wreaths also. I think that you should do a linky wreath-fest....what fun! I'd do it myself but don't get enough traffic. Give it some thought.

Jeppson Clan said...

Bee-you-tee-ful! All of them. For the wreath challenged (ME)will you please explain how to hang them over the mirror?

Shell in your Pocket said...

How fun! I don't have a lot of mirrors..but it's a great idea!!! I hung one over these wooden doors in my kitchen..love it!
-sandy toes

Gretchen said...

Girlie, we are on the same wave length today!
I posted about a fabulous wreath that my hubby made me!
I, too, love a wreath on a mirror. I have a feathery one over our giant mirror. Love it.

Shannon said...

I love all of those!

Amy said...

Those wreaths are so beautiful. You totally inspired me this morning. I fell in love with a pinecone wreath in the Country Living magazine this weekend that I want to replicate. It was square and had moss underneath. I think me and my glue gun are going to have to spend some time together this week :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Those are all pretty,Kimba! I'd love to make a couple more myself. I do have an idea on one that I'm gonna try. I too love to hang wreaths over mirrors. Love that layered look. Yours are all beautiful!

Wendy said...

I love hanging wreaths over mirrors too! And that wreath you have on yours is beautiful!

Nikola said...

those are all great! I have them on my front windows, door and I broke down and bought the monogram from ballard (on sale with 25%off and free shipping). that one is hanging on the back door on the inside. We need a tutorial on how you make yours they are great!

Carrie's Minnesota-nICE said...

Very nice! I love all of them, but
the best is the last one:) You have so many amazing ideas. Do you use glass ornaments for both of the wreaths that are covered in ornaments? Great work!

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Love all of your wreathes... This year I found a HUGE 70's wooden frame. I painted it red hung it above the couch {just the frame} and huge my wreath in front of the empty frame! I will post a picture soon.
~Jen

Kate said...

These are great!!! I love them. Thanks for sharing. I recently came to love them as well and want to make more. I only have one hanging on my door at the moment.

Ali said...

Love these! Chic and simple.

Kimba said...

Since so many of you asked, I figured I should give you the "how-to" scoop on each of the wreaths.

The pinecone one started as a grapevine wreath. Then I hot-glued bunches and bunches of pinecones and the painted starts.

The one on the front door started as a faux pine wreath and I attached all of the balls with florist wire. The key on this one is to use shatterproof ornaments.

The last one (all red ornaments) is built the same way as the one on the door. All the ornaments are attached with floral wire. They are all glass so it weighs about 50 lbs. :-)

Someone also asked how it's attached to the mirror. The red ribbon is looped through the center of the wreath then up and over the top of the mirror. I nailed the ribbon (you could use upholstery tacks) to the back of the frame to hold it all together.

Anonymous said...

Love the wreaths! I'm inspired to make a wreath with Christmas balls on it but could you tell me how to secure them. Are they glued or wired? Keri

Amanda said...

love wreaths on mirrors too! I tore apart an old summer wreath and add christmas garland to it- then I took a straw wreath and wrapped it in this fuzzy, fluffy, furry-like fabric and hung that over a mirror as well.

Georgia Girl said...

Oh I love all your wreaths Kimba...I still have my Martha one I bought a few weeks ago but hopefully I will hang it up soon!

Tausha said...

I love the sparkly ball one as well! Be still my heart! i really want to make one this year-but lets be realistic. My list of things that I really want to make is longer than time permits. Maybe I will make one in January when I can get all the supplies for a song and I have nothing else to do!!! What do you think?
You should do a tutorial on how to make the pretty ball one. I would love to know how to do it the right way!!!

Unknown said...

Your wreaths are beautiful! We always hang one on the front door, but now you've got me thinking about where else they would work.

Linda said...

Great wreaths and I am so in your court when it comes to paying all that money for a wreath when you can make your own...beautiful.
I like wreats over a mirror too. They reflect all the sparkly things. This must be a holdover from when I was little...OK when the world was black and white!...and I love all the bling!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Wow, Kimba...you just never cease to be creative do you? My mouth dropped open in awe. You are awesome, girl!

Love all the wreaths!

Now I'm depressed. I'm so not ready for Christmas -- I'll be packing instead of prettifying.

xoxo

Joanna said...

I love your wreaths and the fact that you made them make them that more special.

I just hang them on the front and back door. Although I did one year put a lighted one on our front windows outside.

Katy said...

Ooooooo, Aaaaawwww! Aren't you cute! Those wreaths are just wonderful. Great jobby job

Anonymous said...

I love to hang wreaths over my mirrors too! When I first started doing that my husband thought I was crazy. Now he is used to it. There is a wreath for Christmas on 3 of the mirrors in our house. Yes, he also says we have too many mirrors! Your wreaths are beautiful!
Maggie

San Diego Momma said...

Gorgeous wreaths.

I will have to like them from afar, because hot glue sticks and I do not get along.

In fact, we hate each other.

Valarie Lea said...

I have a wreath, and I am prepared to bedazzel it!!

Unknown said...

your wreaths are amazing! I love every one of them!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

I so love a wreath in a window or on a mirror. Cute, cute!

roxtarc said...

thank you for the inspiration... now i just need a lil time (and some mini glue sticks, i found out this wk/end that i have a MINI glue gun & huge econo package of REGULAR glue sticks) siigh...

Erin said...

How do you make the wreaths with ornaments? I tried once and it was a disaster. Help!

scargosun said...

I am a mirror gal too. I have red berry ones I hang on the mirror over the couch. Big one in the middle 2 smaller ones next to it, hung with fish line, covered in ribbon. :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous wreaths! I hang mine over mirrors, over paintings, doesn't matter really, whereever they'll look nice since they're temporary.

Manuela

Wanita said...

What pretty wreaths! This year, I have only one on my front door. But you've inspired me to think about making some and using them throughout my home.

Blessings,
Wanita

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Absolutely Beautiful Kimba!

Lana said...

Those wreaths are beautiful! I'd love to make one like that!!

Vindiciti said...

Beautiful wreaths. I wish that I wasn't so lazy as to not make my own stuff. I've been bitten by a crafty bug lately, so we'll see!

I love the idea of a wreath over a mirror. It's so pretty. I am a front door wreath hanger. I also rotate them out with others that hang on my dining room wall. Mine are seasonal, as in, of the seasons not of the holiday. I do suppose I should put them away so it is like a new present when I open the box that's been in storage for a while.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.

The Lunch Lady said...

I love your wreaths. Check out my blog and see the fresh wreath that I made. I love this time of year!!

www.thetopiarylady.blogspot.com

Jill said...

You're good, girl! Those wreaths are fab! I have a fresh wreath on my front door as well as hanging over a mirror in my dining room. Love 'em!

HouseMama said...

I just looooove your wreaths. I've only hung one on the front door in the past. Guess I need to go get a mirror and hang one there too. :)

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

wow, those wreaths are stunning, I love them all!

Anonymous said...

The wreaths are delish! What a good idea hanging them over a mirror!

BookingAlong said...

I love these! I'm inspired to try and make some myself. Thanks!

Jennifer said...

A wreath hug over a mirror... brilliant! I'm off to hang those without current homes. : )

Anonymous said...

Wow. I've got a feeling that I'll be hitting those after Christmas clearance sales for some crafty fun! Thanks for the inspiration. Have a super Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Your wreaths are beautiful! I made a wreath this year too...you can see it on my blog here:
http://cakescraps.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/its-beginning-to-look-at-lot-like-christmas/
(It's a holiday decor post so scroll down to see the wreath)

I mainly hang mine on windows/doors, but I love your idea of hanging one on a mirror...I'll have to borrow that idea!

Jennifer said...

How did you hang the balls on the wreath? Glue, wire, etc?

Unknown said...

These are wonderful! I love the ornament wreaths, but I'm too intimidated to try and make one. Have you ever done a tutorial on how to do it?

SmilingSally said...

Hanging a wreath over a mirror is something I never would have considered. Thank you for sharing this excellent idea.

Anonymous said...

Kimba, your wreathing has me inspired! I have one that needs a boost and another to be made. Scratch that, two that need a boost and another to be made.... maybe I'll have them finished in time for the holiday party....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Gorgeous. I especially love the last one... sparkly, red, LOVE it. I have wreaths hanging on every door in the house and one on the bathroom window.(inside).