14 November 2008

Ode to Ikea

Oh my darling, Ikea. How I love thee.



I love your miles and miles of cheap furniture that I can assemble with only that L-shaped metal thingy. I adore your little wooden men that we had to bring home and name Woody.



I gaze longingly at your brightly colored (and clean) play area and I dream of the day when I trust you enough to leave my children while I shop in blissful solitude. I adore your huge rolls of art paper that will surely entertain my children for many an hour (and probably wrap a present or two).



Your shelves full of candles, lanterns and glassware call to me from afar (from all the way across town). All so beautiful and affordable. Your rolls of paper tablecloths make my party so pretty.



I know not how I have survived 37 Christmases past without a white metal tree from which to hang your boxes of blue and silver baubles?

I crave your sweet confections in boxes and bags covered with Swedish poetry. I know not what they say, but they call to me nonetheless. Most of all, my darling Ikea, I love the sweet, sweet scent of cinnamon that beckons me from your doorway. Tempting me and lovingly providing the most delectable bribe that compels my children to behave.

If you haven't already entered, make sure you see yesterday's post and enter your name to win an art print from Hadley Hutton! A winner will be announced tomorrow!

post signature

61 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I dream of this place...Ikea. I hear many talk about it, but have yet to visit one...other than in my dreams that is. One day...one day...

Lauren and Justin said...

oh kimba, how i love ikea too! my wedding reception centerpieces are from there :) i cannot WAIT until the one in Charlotte is open and i don't have to drive to Atlanta or DC to shop!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Wait a minute...you don't leave your kids at the playplace??? That is the best part! My kids ask me to go to IKEA, just so they can go and play. I've been tempted to go and just sit and enjoy a break in the cafeteria while they play...

Ofcourse, there is too much fun stuff to look at, instead!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Woody is so adorable! :) Vanessa

Momofgirls said...

Oh my gosh! Do you even know that we just drove 2 hours to Sacramento to GO THERE!! I A.D.O.R.E. Ikea...and I just read your post to my eye rolling husband...who by the way said he feels your husband's pain!

His smarty pants comments like, "Oh, the Salvation Army LOVES us to load up on all this stuff"{said with a hint of sarcasm} didn't stop me (and my army of DAUGHTERS who had never been but were ooing and awing the whole visit) fom indulging in Ikeas goodness!

{oc cottage} said...

Sooooo funny! I too enjoy Ikea's Norse-ness...and finding a tiny plasitc object, with no moving parts called a "Swverginderginvergin" ...and thinking that it must have cost more to print that name on the tag than the little trinket is worth!!

M ^..^

Mom in High Heels said...

Oh, Kimba, you are my soul sister! I adore IKEA. Adore it with the heat of a thousand suns. It brings me such ridiculous joy to just walk through the doors and smell all the gooey IKEA goodness. Sadly they don't have the cinnamon rolls at the stores in Germany, but they do have all manner of other delicious things to tempt me though. Oh how I love you German pastries! Where we live now we are 15 minutes away from IKEA to the south and 25 minutes away from an IKEA to the north! Two IKEAS! TWO! Wheeeeeeeee! In fact, I'm going to IKEA today! I'm so excited it's almost silly. Indy loved the one in the US that we went to and often asked me if we could go so he could play at the play place. You don't leave your kids there? What is wrong with you?

Oh, I dreamed about Nester last night (I know, sad) and you were in it too! We crafted!

Darlene said...

It sounds like a heavenly store....I have never been to one. Guess I am going to have to find out if there is one around anywhere that I could get to....sounds wonderful!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

With a name like mine it's only natural that I love Ikea. (it's true). Sadly, the closest one is a four hour drive. Not so fun.

Most of the stuff in my cozy, warm library came from Ikea- Billy bookcases, side table, rug, chair and ottoman and curtains.

The amazing thing is that the Ikea furniture seems to last for a long, long time. I have an entertainment center that is 10 years old and it's like new.

Victoria said...

Ohhhh I love their cinnamon buns too!

Is that really a paper tablecloth? The black and white? That is beautiful! I need to go to Ikea.

Anonymous said...

I just love the last picture of you eating that cinnamon bun! Too cute......

Amber said...

Oh, I love IKEA also. It amazes me how they can set up those amazingly efficient living spaces in such small spaces on their showroom floor. I'm always so inspired after an IKEA visit!

Oh, and I've never tried the IKEA cinnamon buns. I guess maybe I should. :)

Allison said...

Great post...I have only been twice, but 3/4 of my brother's house is IKEA! They love it.

Anonymous said...

I heart Ikea! I would trash my whole house and start again with things from Ikea if I could.

Love the last picture!!

Laura said...

If only . . . . . I've never been . . . someday . . . . just for the cinnamon smell alone!

K and/or K said...

We named ours Woody too!

Debbie said...

You are cracking me up... I mean seriously making me laugh out loud. I too love IKEA...I could and have spent hours in there!
I thought about you on Saturday when our Nittany Lions bit the dust. Sigh. Oh well, there is always the Rose Bowl...which we better not mess up. I pity Indiana this weekend... hell hath no fury like a football that loses it's opportunity to play for a National Championship.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I love Ikea too! All my boys' bedroom furniture is from there, and the crib that was passed down to another cousin. I haven't been there in a few years now. I used to live less than 10 minutes from the one in New Haven, CT. My children call it "The Meatball Store"!!!!

Julie said...

I WISH it was cheap here...but in Europe it is EXPENSIVE.... occasionally you will find good deals... but not normally... it is so annoying, in America I used them to decorate and furnish my college dorm room!

I have to confess though, I did find some good deals in the damaged section yesterday!!!!

Kris said...

sadly I live in a land with no Ikea. It's a shopping mecca here, and yet we have NO Ikea. How can this be?

Avery Tales said...

Oh how I wish we had an IKEA! We have everything BUT IKEA! I'm jealous. I want super cheap furniture and a metal Christmas tree. No fair!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I do love Ikea. I always have to buy a box of their cookies when I'm there and tend to have half the box eaten by the the time I get home. :-)

Decor To Adore said...

I have it bad for IKEA too.

Sarah Mae said...

I have never been to an Ikea - not my fault! It is too far away!
:( One of these days...

Wendy said...

You are so funny! I love Ikea too...your ode had me laughing!

kahlanne said...

We don't have an Ikea around here. From your description, I wish we did!

I hope you don't mind but I have tagged you over on my blog. I have never been tagged before and really wanted to give it a go so I picked some of my favorite people or blogs to tag back. I can't wait to read the 8 facts about you.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Ohh...IKEA! I used to live near the one in Chicago! How I adored the prices and fun things there!
*sigh* I miss it!!

I'm having a decorating decision to make, and I'd sure like your advise if you don't mind!! :)

Thanks,
Stacey

Sadie said...

I like their "stuff" but not their furniture. We spent way too much money on an armoire and bookcases that just didn't hold up that well. But I still adore them none the less - the children's toys and stuff, the little do-dads, the great ideas I get from their awesome little "room/house setups", my kids love the play area, and I love the cafeteria. (And Yes, I'm guilty of dropping the kids off and going to the cafeteria to sit and enjoy a book and a yummy open-faced shrimp sandwich and a coke!)

Katy said...

I also have a love for it. Nice post, I'm sure IKEA would appreciate it!!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Way to make those of us who don't live near one jealous! I so want an ikea, but don't think one will be coming to Montana any time soon!

Ashley said...

Sadly I know nothing of what you speak because there are no Ikeas in Alabama. :(

Melody said...

I love IKEA and you are so lucky to have one in your town.

Valarie Lea said...

Ashley and I are from the same town. And yes we are Ikealess. The closest is in Georgia! ~sigh~ if only we had one. ~sigh~

scargosun said...

Did you see my cool new kitchen counter/table from the mecca? I LOVE IT! Ikea is my favorite place and cinnamon rolls ROCK!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I also LOVE IKEA! It is such a wonderful place to spend the day! I drop my 3 year old off at the play place, wander around and find treasures, then pick her up, have some meatballs and potatoes, then check out and get her a delicious vanilla cone on the way out. What could be better?

Cassie said...

How funny! Have never been in the presence of such loveliness known as this land called "Ikea"! Must go. Must find one first, in the abyss of corn country!

Anonymous said...

That last picture alone says a thousand words. You rock.

Linda said...

Oh I love Ikea...and their cinnamon rolls! Now you've got me drooling!

We don't have an Ikea in our city darn it. We have the hugh distribution center up the freeway but no Ikea!

edie said...

My entire homeschool room is decorated with IKEA and it's everyones' favorite room in the house. And I love crazy bendy art guy.....we have him too!

Jenny said...

I WANT AN IKEA!!! We don;t have one around here!! Bummer!!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Can you believe that I have NEVER EVER stepped foot in an IKEA. I guess I am missing something, but maybe for the benefit of our pocket book.
So what exactly are you feeding your face with in that picture and not sharing with the rest of us.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Wait a minute....they actually sell those cinnamon rolls at the furniture store?

Sallie said...

Love Ikea. I may have possibly been swedish in a past life. Here's my post about ikea from August and I want to go back. And, oh, leave your kids in the play area, they will volunteer to go to Ikea anytime. http://escuinfamily.blogspot.com/2008/08/drooling-over-ikea.html

hotmama said...

you are hilarious.. your ode to ikea made me lol!!!

Valerie said...

I have to agree with my fellow Alabamians we've yet to get an Ikea. I dream of the day. . . .

Unknown said...

LOL! I love Ikea too. They are about 30+ min. drive from me. We make it an event when we go and eat dinner there. We like to close the place down on a Friday night - cheap yummy dinner, fun shopping, not as busy, and a cone for dessert on the way out!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Oh and let's us not forget about my hubby's favorite IKEA item. . . the SWEDISH MEATBALLS!!! I think because of these meatballs I am able to get him to tag along with me.

Blessings,

Sher

Mimi Sue said...

I love Ikea too. Does yours have hot dogs by the cinnamin rolls? They are so good. You should try one. Mimi

Holly said...

We travel 6 hours to Chicago to go to IKEA. A few years ago we spent nearly $100 for the 5 of us to go to the top of the Sears Tower. Ho hum, said the kids. Then we went to IKEA and they looked out the 3rd floor windows at the parking lot...Wwwoooowww!! Look! This is amazing! they said.

For those of you who don't know, it is not simply a furniture store. It's a mall, it's a playground, it's a restaurant, it's a design center, it's display homes...it defies description. Love!

~*Lisa*~ said...

Ikea sounds like a great store. I have never been to one. I uess I am going to have to find one and see first hand. I just love your blog! Blessings

Sunny said...

Everyone is all about Ikea but I feel so out of the loop - never been to one. We don't have one here. Total bummer because I would totally love it, I'm sure. I have visited their website. (sigh) We need a Macy's and an Ikea and we'd be set!

Shell in your Pocket said...

I like Ikea too..it is fun!! Ours opened this past year..so fun!
-sandy toes

Queen Bean said...

ikea rocks. from furniture to bedding to poop bags for my dog. my bf and i often go there for dinner..the swedish meatballs are awesome! deana

Amy B said...

I have never been to one of these..do they really have play areas for kids? Humm...I need to go look online to see if I can find one anywhere near me.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Oh, I LOVE Ikea!!!! We used to have to drive 4 hours to Houston to go to one! But now we have one here in Austin and it's heaven!!

Oh, and Im doing a giveaway over on my blog too Kimba! Come check it out!! :)

Ann said...

Oh we all love IKEA don't we? Bless them for being such an innovator that now we can have nice furniture and get a kick in assembling them too.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I love Ikea. Every time we visit my parents we go to Ikea. We redid our kitchen with Ikea cabinets. Love em!

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Love Ikea Cinnamon Rolls... Oh and I like to do a little shopping too! :-)

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Your blog made me hungry for cinnamon rolls! I love Ikea, too.

Jennie said...

I have to live thru the catalog.. we don;t have an IKEA in our state and my husband sees no need in going on a road trip to get to one... he just doesn't understand

Jenny said...

I traveled 3 hours on a plane to visit IKEA the first time. Spent 6 hours there. Took a personal day from work when a new location opened within an hour's drive! Wrap all my presents with the roll of paper that goes with the art easel. And in my daydreams, I can live in 286 sq. ft. of brightly organized perfection.