24 September 2008

Inspiration Wednesday

Where does your inspiration come from? I think the answer is different for everyone. So many of you have asked where I get the ideas for my projects. The answer is everywhere...

Books, magazines, store displays, catalogues, decorating websites, other blogs, nature...

Since I don't have the time nor the inclination to do every project that pops into my head, I thought I'd share an idea that I probably won't get around to any time soon.

Silhouette Art!

I've been seeing it everywhere and it's such a great project.





This fabulous version was demonstrated by Anna Maria Horner on the Martha Stewart show. If you click the first link, it will take you to a tutorial for doing a paint on fabric project.



And this more traditional version came from DIYideas.com. The tutorial also includes some clip art that you can download to make your own.

And lastly, if you're looking for free images to use in these types of papercraft projects, you must visit Karen's Whimsey. She has put together a fantastic collection of free images that you can download and use in your own projects. Enjoy!

post signature

31 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Lacey in the Sky said...

I just did one of these for a friend! That one is super cute!

Traci said...

I have been pondering the idea of making silhouettes of my kids for the grandparents' Christmas gifts this year. Perhaps I can practice with Martha's fabric painting versions first in the form of some rockin throw pillows? Not with my kids' faces of course, but with something more decorative. Although the g'parents would probably love those just as well, lol.

Anonymous said...

What's that other name if it does have a name? It is bigger and fancier picture. I get the impression that it is an old craft skill. A lot of fussy details to carefully cut out. Tree of Life was a popular design.

Georgia Girl said...

I have seen these around also. I had one done for my daughter and put it in her room. I love the look of these simple projects.

duchess said...

Thanks for researching this for us Kimba.
I love the look of them - especially all of the black & whites.

Have a great Wednesday.

Bo said...

Thanks for the great info on this charming art form, but like you something tells me I'll never get around to doing it...Shucks!
;-) Bo

Virginia said...

My inspiration comes from clever and talented people like you.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings, Virginia

Sarah Mae said...

Kimba, if you like the profile stuff (me too), check out this beautiful and simple scherenschnitte - it is so cool!

http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2008/01/bird-scherenschnitte.html

Sarah Mae said...

Oh yea, my inspiration! The seasons - especially fall, my favorite! Isn't the Autumn beautiful in PA?

Are you going to any PSU games this year? I was thinking we could meet if you are!

Marie said...

Thanks for the great links! I love silhouette art! I've even had a crow on my list of things to do for a long time! :o)

Where does my inspiration come from? Usually catalogs and store displays. But lately it's strictly from blogs!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I love the black and white ones! My mom has my profile when I was about 7 in her room, I may steal it back one day.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Thanks for the great ideas once again. Jackie

Anonymous said...

Kimba you rock! Thanks for the links.

anne said...

I've loved those too. I saw that first picture featured in M. Stewart Living. I'venot been bold enough to try it yet...but you've inspired me for sure! :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the links! I've seen these and they always look so great.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Thanks Kimba! I'm going to visit those links...as if I don't have enough projects!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

That's it! Scherenschnitte. Thank you, Sarah Mae!! Through the links you provided, I hit a mother lode!

just me, Jean

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link to the graphics! Great resource!

Anonymous said...

I've always loved silhouettes! I'll have to take a look at the downloads - thanks! Great painted pumpkins down below!
Manuela

Anonymous said...

You and your great post make me want to wake up early every morning, smile! Thank you~

Tamara Jansen said...

Thanks for the tips!

Kristen said...

I absolutely love the silhouettes around the TV. Our bedroom is light blue, white and black and I've been looking for some good ideas to put over our bed. The wall facing it has Ansel Adams prints...mostly of trees. So the silhouettes will work really well! Thanks for the idea!

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Looks good.

Great idea.

Lauren and Justin said...

i wish YOU could come to NC for the big November 8th shindig!

I also wish i had those black and white silhouettes for my living room!

Blissfully Enamored said...

just wanted to let you know that i linked to your blog from mine in regards to your window mistreatments! i am excited about trying to get mine put together this weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Wow....love it and thanks for the link for the images...you are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba!
I really enjoy your blog. I just did a post about silhouettes too, with my little boy---you can see it here:
http://cremedelacreme12.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-see-silhouette-ah-thunder-bolt-of.html

Frugal Finds said...

Very cool room!! Love the white pumpkins too!!!

Anonymous said...

hi Kimba, I love those silhouettes, I never thought of doing it like that though

my inspiration comes mostly from blogland and magazines and browsing in shops and seeing how things are done...blogs though inspire me that 'real' people can do it and what I like best is when it is done on a miniscule budget, there is nothing worse than reading a magazine and every single piece that you like is from an outrageously expensive boutique and well over my budget

Sarah

Mrs. B said...

I love silhouettes! Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

oh this is so cool...and it doesn't look that hard either, which is even better! i just may have to give it a try :)