15 September 2008

From My Heart

We'll get back to our regularly scheduled fun tomorrow. Today I want to share something that has been on my mind and my heart for the past few weeks. I feel like I'm going out on a limb here because writing a post about decorating or painting something would be so much easier.

I don't think I've made any secret about the fact that I am a Christian. I know that lots of my readers do not share my faith and today's post is directed to you and any Christian who feels inadequate. Well that just might cover everyone, huh?

A few weeks ago I was bee-bopping around blogland and came across a blogger who is a new Christian (although I'm not positive on this point). She was talking about how Christians need to be careful when sharing things that the Lord puts on their hearts. Her concern was that we might be suggesting that the things that the Lord is calling us to work on right now apply to everyone else as well. She said that it can be discouraging for young Christians and alienating for non-Christians if they feel overwhelmed by the "requirements" of being a Christian.

I think she made some good points although I do believe that our blogs are our own to share what we want to share. What readers do with that is their own business. But it got me thinking about the impressions that Christians might give about how you need to be or what you need to do to be a Christian.

Has anyone has ever given you the impression that in order to be a (good) Christian that you need to:

  • Act a certain way?
  • Talk a certain way?
  • Dress a certain way?
  • School your children a certain way?
  • Only watch certain movies?
  • Attend a certain type of church?
  • Ditch your non-Christian friends?

If so, that's simply not true. That is the true beauty of the Christian faith. It is not something that we earn by doing certain things. Our salvation is a free gift from our loving Lord. We don't deserve it and we can't earn it.

There is room within the faith for all sorts of folks. Sure, there are some standards that God calls us to. But He doesn't ask us to become someone that we're not. Yes, we'll change as a result of trusting in Jesus. It just can't be helped. But it comes at the prompting of a loving God and because we want to make ourselves and our lives more pleasing to Him.

I clearly remember having a set-back as a young Christian when I attended a women's retreat. One of the speakers was talking about the unimportance of external appearances when compared to the condition of the heart and the spirit. In recent years she had stopped wearing make-up, cut off her hair and dressed in what can only be described as burlap sack. I'm not kidding.

Her point was that it is sinful to take vain pride in our external appearance and I agree with that. But I remember thinking, "If I need to start wearing a burlap shirt, this whole Christian thing isn't going to work out too well for me." It played right into some of the things that kept me away from the Christian faith for many years. I was afraid I was going to have to become someone that I wasn't.

So what's my point in all of this? Just that being a Christian isn't about trying to live up to someone else's idea of what you should do. It isn't about trying to become someone that you're not. It's about realizing that you are a sinner, recognizing that Jesus died to pay for your sins and accepting God's free gift of salvation. The rest can be worked out between you and God.

"For it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast"
Ephesians 2:8,9



post signature

101 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Nancy Hood said...

We need to proclaim Him and let our beliefs be known. At times I've posted about things I needed to say, sometimes to get them off my chest, other times to share. And always, always, always, someone replies saying they needed, at that moment, to hear exactly what I shared. So, I shall continue to do so :) I feel He has the control to bring the ones to our blogs that need to come~

Jess said...

Great post, I love your point of view, thanks for sharing!!
Jess

alison said...

Burlap skirt indeed...LOL! I feel that if we are truly trying to be like Christ, than we will attempt to look on our neighbors as He would. He is able to look on their hearts--and we cannot. I would just hope that others would extend to me this same charity. Whereas my exercise of Chritianity may look different from theirs--it is no less heartfelt. I heard something in church today that I thought was great--that we are all in different places along the path to Him, and it matters not where we are, or how fast we are going. He is happy that we're taking the journey.

Inspired Kara said...

Amen Kimba. Amen.

The gospel is true for everyone, and the amazing part about it, is Christ's love meets us WHEREVER we are, no matter how much makeup we have on, no matter how deep into sin we are. Sometimes, as Christians, we forget that we are just humans...sinful humans.

My pastor always says, "God will never love you more or less than he does right this very minute."

I love that. And, it applies to everyone.

Thanks for the perspective today.

Free Art Printables said...

Kimba, I was thinking about what you said. I am a Christian and I have friends who are Muslim and Even Jewish. I feel as though even though they haven't found the calling I have with God, that's their own path. I think that some people are more vocal about their faith and other's less that's okay. AND if someone isn't comfortable reading a post that involves faith, it's their choice not to read that blog. It's a free country and there are lots of blogs. Christians should be able to say what they want and express how they fell.There, I said it.... boy do I feel better.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Kimba,
What an inspiring message. The Christians I admire the most and learn the most from are the ones who teach me by example. No preaching necessary. I want to become more Christ-like just from watching the way they live their lives. So glad burlap dresses are not a requirement. : )
Mary Lou

Unknown said...

I think this was a wonderful post - thank you for sharing.

I received a poem more than once that I think might apply:

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not shouting "I'm clean living'"
I'm whispering "I was lost", Now I'm found and forgiven.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need CHRIST to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need HIS strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible but, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I still feel the sting of pain,
I have my share of heartaches, So I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner who received God's good grace, somehow.

Share this with somebody who already has this understanding, as reinforcement.

But, more importantly, share this with those who do not have a clear understanding of what it means to be a Christian, so that the myth that Christians think they are "perfect" or "better than others" can be dispelled.

Tracey said...

Thank you for the post, beautifully said :)

Anonymous said...

Your post, as always, is awesome and speaks to many things on my mind as well. I've also felt pressure to belong to a certain political party. And that bugs me. I pray and vote the conscience of my own heart... just because I'm registered as a democrat doesn't mean I'm pro-choice, or anything else like that... Hurts my feelings when people insinuate that Christians are on the "right"... well, some of us are on the "left" too. ~L

cherry said...

Hmmm I know our pastor often times talks about how Christians are the very reason why some do not come to Jesus. The ones that give Jesus a bad name. Sad but true. Too judgemental etc. Our church preaches "simply Jesus"....no certain doctrine...we simply follow the bible..as it is laid out. Some of the proudest back in the day were those that had dust on them from following Jesus..literally. That is how I want to be. Do I fall short..YOu bet I do. I see some of the judgemental even here on blogs...especially with some of the political stuff going on. I notice those that once comment on blogs don't anymore. This is about fun for me and about being inspired spiritually and creatively and supporting others. cherry

Julie said...

Kimba, thanks for sharing from your heart... that is also why people like your blog, not just the fun decorating ideas!!!

Esther said...

I'm one of those people who was raised in a very religious Christian family, and while I have by no means chucked Christianity out completely, I regard myself as more spiritual than religious. I believe that there is a loving God out there and that many religions have similar ideals as their core beliefs. I am cautious about religion and especially Christians (even though I guess I still think of myself as one). I enjoyed your post and I thought it was thoughtfilled. It simplified what I think a relationship with God is about. Thanks.

Ally's Corner said...

We just talked about this in SS yesterday. Many people feel they will have to give up so many things and that is not true.
Great post!!!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Thank you for going out on a limb and sharing your brave heart. That is one of my favorite versus - it brings me great comfort.

Lori said...

Amen -- Thank you for taking a risk and going out on a limb. Very well said.

shannonmichaelis said...

Of all the blogs I read (of people I have never met), I could tell that you were a strong believer. Thank you for not holding back and letting others know what you are feeling. It's important for others to know how much better off their life would be if they would let the Lord take control...

roseroomnz.com said...

Thank You! Rachaelxo

Kris said...

Thank God we have Jesus and that he comes to each one of us exactly where we are. Excellent post and encouraging to all. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Loved this post, sometimes we get so distracted by what we "think" God wants us to be that we end up further away from where we should be! Love your blog, it is one that has inspired me to start my own!

Lauren said...

Amen! :)

Great post for a Monday morning.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Wonderful post. What God wants most from us is obedience. That may mean that our outward appearance changes, because we need to be more modest in our dress, or the way we talk may change because our speech was not pleasing. The changes we need to make come with a heart that wants to be obedient and glorifying to Him. I think we are often guilty of giving a different idea without realizing it. A heart of obedience want to glorify Him in all that we do. I wholeheartedly agree with all that you have said. Have a wonderful day. Jackie

~Mad said...

Well said - well said.
OUr God is an awesome God - He certainly met me where I was!

~Mad(elyn) in Alabama
www.xanga.com/madewyn

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I forgot to say that I am so thankful that when I desired to come to know Him I wasn't handed a list to complete first. That would have made salvation about me and what I did, not about what HE did. His word will tell me everything I need to be doing, and I would be struggling with that Burlap too! Jackie

Trixi said...

Amen, Kimba, great post!!

It is so easy for us, as women to put on the hat of feeling we must do it all and do it "Right". I think that is why we get caught up in doing the Christian thing "Right". Sometimes we forget that there is nothing we can do to make God love us anymore.
Thank you for sharing this and I can tell you the burlap shirt would not be working for me either. You have impressed me even more!!

petrii said...

Kimba,
I so enjoy your blog. This was a GREAT post!! Too often people are turned off by Christianity instead of drawn to it, because of the very reasons you stated.

This was a GREAT post!! Have a Blessed week,
Dawn

Meredith said...

I have to agree with everyone elses comments! Well said! I too think it is fantastic that you let your beliefs be known. I know there are times that I try not to "offend" people, but guess who I'm truly offending when I don't share...God. Your blog is a blessing in a multitude of ways. Keep it up girl!!

Lallee said...

Kimba, you said this so well. Thank you for a great post. Using decorating as an example, I am drawn to it wanting to imitate God, the perfect artist and decorator. When I take it too far and lust for the material instead of Him, then God has a loving way of pointing it out to me. To an outsider either may 'look' the same, but God knows my heart.

Lallee

Shannon said...

Wonderfully said. Thanks for sharing.

Georgia Girl said...

Well said!. I believe whatever path you choose is your business but don't knock me for mine.

Georgia Girl said...

Well said!. I believe whatever path you choose is your business but don't knock me for mine.

duchess said...

Beautifully said, Kimba.
I think we all need to hear that every now & then.
It's not so much about what we do or how we look, but it's all about our relationship with Him and His Grace that saves us (from ourselves).

Hope this gets your week off to a good start, it sure has helped mine.

Sarah Mae said...

Oh sweet Kimba - you are a blessing to many, and I'm sure this post will speak to many as well. Thank you for your faith and convictions.

martha said...

Thank you and amen!

Courtney said...

I'm really glad you wrote this post, Kimba! I'm sure there's more than one person out there who needed to hear this. Thanks for sharing in your open, honest, and loving way.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, what a sweet post. I'm a vocal Christian too, although most of my blog is about decorating & sharing all of that, I so much want to let my light shine through too. Everything you said was very true and I also agree with the person who said that Jesus wants obedience from us and that if we are fine-tuned with Him on a daily basis, He will speak to those things that are not pleasing to Him. It's a journey and one that is not reached overnight. Mine has certainly been a lifelong journey & I'm nowhere close to being where I want to be in my relationship with Him. It truly is NOT about do's and don'ts, but about a personal relationship.

If we have that relationship with Him, personal and intimate, then He will change us from the inside out to make us more like Him. It's an awesome journey and one I wouldn't trade for the world. Our pastor has been on several series lately about examining ourselves to see if we are truly in the faith (and not just a part of nominal contemporay Christianity) and also the cost of being a Christian. Those things are important too, very much part of the New Testament and I hope there are more pastors out there who are preaching the whole truth!

Amen!

KMR said...

Bravo! Well said.

Sarah Kate said...

And what a beautiful heart you have. Like most profound thoughts do, what you said makes me think of a book. I am currently reading and probably will still be reading when I am 50, "A Celebration of Discipline", by Richard J. Foster. It sounds like it would be a list of do's and don'ts for Christians, but it is not. He speaks about disciplines like simplicity and surrender being parts of what sets us free. This reminded me of your burlap sack woman. Often times people will impose their convictions on someone else. The bible is very clear about some things, but unclear about others. It is these others where we have the freedom to listen to God about what may be holding us back from a stronger relationship with him. It is different for everyone. Movies may really get into your head and may not for someone else. Someone may struggle with vanity and another may get up put on their make up and go out of the house without giving it a second thought. Our relationships with God are personal and they are all different. I am glad that one person who took her personal conviction about simplicity and tried to impose it on a group of people did not deter you from your relationship with God.

Heathahlee said...

Kimba girl, you hit the nail on the head with this one. I have said many times it's all about grace! I would recommend my favorite book for those struggling with the "requirements" of Christianity. It's called TrueFaced. I struggle with feeling like I'm not good enough for the Father to love me. That's not how He works.

Repentance and forgiveness ARE key parts of being a Christian, but trying to follow some unwritten rules doled out by whoever decided that the Bible wasn't enough will never bring us peace.

Tiffany said...

Amen, sister. I turned away completely from the Christian faith after years of being in a legalistic, overbearing church. After leaving and living in the real world for a while, I was able to find the real, bible Jesus. I'm still trying to get the ghosts out of my head from the church of my childhood but now I have a relationship with the real thing. I now know that if we truly SEEK to find the truth and ask Him to reveal Himself to us, we will FIND truth. It's beautiful. Thank you so much for writing this today.

Cindy said...

I remember when I was struggling to make a decision accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I was in a church service and the pastor looked right at me and said "our personalities don't change when we become Christians."

I knew what I needed to do, but I was always laughing and "carrying on" and just having fun and had it in my mind that to be a Christian, was to leave all that behind!

The Lord loves us all, the quiet ones, the shy ones, those extroverts, loud-mouths! He can use us all (if we let Him).

Oops, didn't mean to ramble.

Love your blog.

Lucrecia said...

Very well said! I think its mostly people who don't understand Christianity that think that Christians must be perfect. If we were, would we have needed Jesus to die for us? We make mistakes, we sin. I think the worst thing we can do (especially in this day and age) is to deny our beliefs or try to belittle them just to try not to offend someone.

Lucrecia said...

Very well said! I think its mostly people who don't understand Christianity that think that Christians must be perfect. If we were, would we have needed Jesus to die for us? We make mistakes, we sin. I think the worst thing we can do (especially in this day and age) is to deny our beliefs or try to belittle them just to try not to offend someone.

Carry Grace said...

Hi Kimba, this was a great post. I'm sure it was very timely for many. I too am a Christian. I love that God loves me in spite of all of my imperfections. His love is perfect, and for everyone who will receive it. I'm glad I didn't have to earn my salvation.

Tote, Debby, Sammy and Caleb Jimenez said...

very well written! thanks for your honest and open testimony!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Right there with you, sister! This past year, the main part of my studies have been on why teens leave the Christian faith within their first 2 years of college. So much of what you posted goes to the fact...rules without relationship equals rebellion.
That is also the main reason I choose to share both my beauty and my bedlam. Too many people in real life always want to know how "I do it." It's so NOT about us doing anything. It's about Him working in spite of me, balancing both the beauty and the bedlam of my life. If I am in any way portraying life as perfect ...UGH...goes against everything that we want to express, right?
Now, truthfully, I know you could make something really cute out of that burlap skirt...maybe even hang it out on your back porch? hee hee

Kimberly said...

Great post. A statement in a "vintage" (read: early 80s) book I read a few years ago made the Christian self identity question extremely simple for me: the more we trust our lives/souls/hearts to God and allow Jesus to live through us the more like ourselves we become. Instead of Kimba and Kimberly becoming more and more like each other as they become "Jesus Robots", people will see more and more of the nuances of their individual personalities the more we two ladies trust God with our whole selves. I thought that was the coolest thing!

I have reached the point (out of my parents' house, married 3 years) where sometimes I have to let my mom's ideas of what is Christian or not bead up and roll off me. I have to keep in touch with God every day (read my Bible, pray, get regular support from Christian friends) and trust that he will let me know if he wants me to change something I'm doing.

There are those areas where God is clear on how he wants us to behave, of course (no cheating on our spouses, for example), but there are so many areas where we can be free to express ourselves as long as we are truly seeking to glorify him.

Ginny said...

Thanks for sharing that. Ashes and sack cloth, not for me. I love my Christian faith and I hope it shows to others.
Very nice to know that I am not alone. Thanks, ginny

Kimberly said...

Footnote: I mention my mom to say that those restrictive ideas can come from anyone, even our families.

Above all, I'm so glad that I know I can ask forgiveness when (and not "if") I mess up

Gretchen said...

So beautifully written. What a 'sweet aroma' these words are to the Lord, and to others.

Thank you, for taking the time out of the 'easy' posts and following God's prompting.

Blessings, Sister.

Katie said...

Amen sister,
God looks at your heart. He knows that if you were to wear no makeup etc.. that still would not make you better in his eyes. The beautiful thing is no matter what he loves us the same. Not to say that we should not work to become more like him but certain things follow as you become a christian. It's not like I'm a better christian if I home school or whatever. I think so many people get hung up on if they are good enough for God. We never will be good enough but He loves us anyway. He is awesome!!

Dana said...

Hi there,

I recently came across your blog (I'm not even sure how). I would love to be a great decorator but it's not so much my thing so I thought I'd bookmark you for inspiration. I guess what you've written about today is more up my alley. My husband is a minister and I often joke that I'm going to write a book called, "If These are the People Going to Heaven, I'm Going Somewhere Else". It sounds harsh but I am becoming more and more aware that people "outside of Christianity" have been so turned off because of the way that it has been portrayed that they have decided that taking their chance with Satan is more appealing than spending an eternity with us. I agree that people need to be aware of the nature of a blog. That it is an a type of online diary and it is up to the reader to discern whether or not it's a good thing for them. Having said that, I think as Christians, God holds us to a different standard than He does the world and we need to be extremely careful when we are in a position where someone who is a new Christian or even more importantly, someone who isn't a Christian at all, could be hearing/reading us. I think we all need to remember not only does God want us to receive his grace but also to extend it. It's very easy for those of us who have been walking this path longer to forget where we've been and look down our noses at those who are desperately trying to move in our direction.. Love, support, and grace is what will get them there.

May we never forget that the distance between us and Jesus is much wider than any distance we could ever put between ourselves and another person.

Thank you for bringing this subject out in the open!

Blessings,
Dana

Liz Harrell said...

Beautifully said. Good job Kimba, it's encouraging to read this.

Anonymous said...

I agree!

Kathy said...

Delurking to say, Well said. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Well said Kimba. I really hope that some readers understand that being a Christian is not about crossing off a checklist. As I was reading your post, the bible verse you have at the end came to my mind. So, how appropriate that you had it on your post.

-- Brandi

Virginia said...

Loved your post today, I'm including this insert,that shares some of my beliefs.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others..."
~ From A RETURN TO LOVE by Marianne Williamson
© 1992 (Paperback; pp 190-191)

HAVE A PEACEFUL AND BLESS Monday,
Virginia

Anonymous said...

Love your post. Those "rules" kept me from my faith for years. The only Christians I knew were either the burlap sack types or one notch up from the burlap sack types. I knew I'd never measure up, so I never bothered.

Then I worked somewhere where the funnest, mostly lively people there were Christians. Serious Christians. They were so funny. They worried about their hair and liked to shop for cute clothes. They watched normal TV and listened to the radio. Their faith was the biggest part of who they were, but they enjoyed and embraced their lives.

I became a Christian long after I stopped working there, but those are the people who opened my eyes to what a Christian really was. And that's the kind of Christian I try to be now.

Missy Wertz said...

Kimba, Hun, well said. Well said. "For we have all sinned and fall short of the Glory of God." I know that God, at this point and time, has not called me to put on a burlap shirt or dress, take off my makeup and jewelry and proclaim Him on the street corner.

In a selfish way, I want to homeschool my child, but I also know, at this point and time, God has not called me to do so. He may be preparing my heart, but He has not called me to do it at this time.

I do worry about what new Christians are exposed to and where they go. But what you posted is just perfect and what God wants them to know.

You were speaking from the heart and that heart is of God's.

Priscilla said...

That was a beautiful post!

Amanda said...

Fabulous blog entry. I adore your ideas and decorating however your post today was very uplifting and encouraging. Don't ever hesitate to write what's on your heart especially when it comes to our lord.

Blessings,
Amanda

scargosun said...

I am so glad that you have found your place in the spiritual world we live in. Although we share different beliefs, the struggle and then peace we find when finding our place is very similar. You make some excellent points here and I think that many people, me included, will take them to heart. :)

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! I am so glad that you broached this subject.

There is such an animosity in this world today towards religion and anything that has to do with Christianity - and sometimes I understand why!

That being said, I so wish that the world truly knew how much Jesus loves each and everyone of us - baggage and all. It does not matter a hill of beans what we have done - He meets us just where we are. The Father so longs for us to be in a relationship with Him - Jesus paid the ultimate price for it!

I try each and every day to wear my "jesus glasses" so that I can truly see others as the Father sees them - with love, compassion, grace and tenderness.

Thank you for this post!

Merrie said...

Well said, Kimba. It's all about how you feel led to worship, pray, live, etc. What works for one person may not work for another, but as long as Christ is at the center, that's all that matters in the end.
I'm always first to point out the things that are not "salvational issues," but rather something each Christian needs to have a personal opinion on.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, so very true! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for the wonderful post. I didn't know it, but I needed to hear that today. It struck me when I read it and I heard myself say, "oh, that' right--it's FREE--I forgot." It brought me peace. Thank you for that reminder.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Well said!

Susie said...

Well said Kimba. Thank you for sharing your heart and encouraging "old" and "new" Christians.

Anonymous said...

Thank You for sharing those thoughts. It meant a great deal to me to read that.....

Rhonda from Minnesota

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I could not agree more. The "standards" are what kept me away from my old church for a long time. Because I didnt wear prada I didnt fit in, therefor I was a bad Christian! But now I realize that its not what I wear on my back, its about whats in my heart. And God doesnt hate me because I love fashion, he encourages me to express my self the way that I want. He cherrishes me as his Princess, and there is nothing wrong in that! :)

Anonymous said...

Amen... I dont think I could have said it better myself...

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

What an amazing post. Just wonderful. I am Christian, but I don't feel compelled to wear it on my sleeve. And sometimes I just cringe at the image that it proclaims. In fact, I was talking with someone last February about voting in the primary. And she was telling me how much she liked a certain candidate. And I laughed saying that our votes were canceling each other out. She was shocked. And said "I thought you were a Christian." I was stunned. That being a Christian meant I had to vote a certain way.

I now just keep my mouth shut. I am not confrontational. In fact, I blogged about this today.

Thank you for your words!

bloggin' Chrystal said...

Thank you for the beautiful reminder. You explained it so well. I will fail...I am human...but Christ loves me still and that's what we all need to remember. Everyday should be an effort to please Him...He's the only one Who's PERFECT in every way.

Scrappinfor3 said...

Amen to that! Well said:) I think of the song, "What if Jesus came back like that." by Collin Raye (country singer). . . it doesn't matter what others do - it matters how you treat others. Who knows??? That swearing, stinky, toothless homeless person could be Jesus. . . or that snotty, nose in the air, tight pants wearing rich girl could be.. . . we cannot know:)

Anonymous said...

A hearty "AMEN Sister!" Great post!

Anonymous said...

You have spoken what the Lord laid on your heart and are a witness to the world. I'm a new blogge and am so pleased to have found your site. We all need to have positive re-enforcement of our Christian lives every day. Speak what the Lord lays on your heart and always look forward - it is meant for someone out there that needs to hear it that day.

Sunny said...

Kimba, this is awesome. I am so thankful that we have a loving God that wants to meet us right where we are; a loving God that created us to be unique. He established each of us with our own uniqueness and purpose in this life that he doesn't want us all to put ourselves in a box and walk and talk the same. I grew up in a legalistic church and am so glad to say that I have found a church that it doesn't matter the color of your skin, hair, eyes, how much makeup you wear, whether you come to church in a tux or flip-flops, how much money you make, how many tattoos you have, how many face piercings you have...it just flat doesn't matter. What matters is that we all worship together and celebrate the one that made us. Someone once said that our church looks like heaven - full of all different people with different lifestyles and different things going on. I love it. I love looking around and thinking it is so neat to see diversity among the body of Christ! I am thankful to say that one of my life's mottos is "progress not perfection". Christ doesn't call us to be perfect...he calls us to grow in our faith and walk with him. One doesn't equal the other. Thankfully, I have learned that (and somedays still have to remind myself!). Love to you!

Victoria said...

Thanks for the post Kimba! I think you worded everything wonderfully.

Kathryn said...

Kimba, I'm so glad you wrote what the Lord impressed upon your heart. It was an important and timely "interruption" in your "regularly scheduled programming". :-)

May God richly bless your faithfulness and obedience.

angela | the painted house said...

Beautifully written, Kim!

Our Complete Family said...

What a lovely message you shared with blogland. I am so happy you did! A true pleasure to read dear!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I agree Kimba...I have struggled with some of the same issues as you, because I am a Christian and have wondered how much of that to share on my blog. It does seem like so many people have been alienated from Christianity for one reason or another and I don't want to be "tuned out" just because I am a Christian. Nor do I want people to feel they have to be a certain way around me because they think I will judge them. Makes for a difficult balancing act! Thanks for speaking up about it!
Carrie

Barbie said...

Wonderfully said! I truly hope this reaches someone that really needs to hear it. Thanks for bing so open.

Debbie said...

I truly couldn't have said it better myself. God is Good, Kimba. He is using you in a mighty way my friend.

And I knew you knew my secret ;) and yours cracked me up!

Queen B said...

That was a wonderful post. I couldn't agree more. Personally, I found that when I got past all that I thought I had to be and became who I really was...my relationship with God became much more real.

That made sense, right?

Thanks for sharing what is on your heart.

A Hint of Home said...

Wonderful post! It was very well said.
I enjoyed my visit to your blog.

nikkicrumpet said...

Kimba: no matter what you blog about... I find something there of value that I can use. Today was no exception. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Kimba, thank you for those truthful words that came straight from your heart. The best gift we can give anyone is Jesus. May we always be an example of His great love to ALL.
Blessings,Karen

Thinking of burlap makes my skin itch

Anonymous said...

a great post Kimba and my thoughts exactly

I struggled with being a Christian precisely by being force-fed stuff like the woman in the burlap preached, I can't be doing with that...I am much stronger having faith that He will love me for *who* I am and not for other reasons

and I actually like to see and hear views on blogs, it broadens my faith

Sarah

Just Lisa said...

AMEN! I love every part of this. Being a Christian isn't about having to do this, that, and the other thing. It all comes to a simple "Do you believe? Do you accept?" Yes, I do!

Thank you for such a great post!

Katrina said...

Thanks for the reminder! I've been a lurker here for awhile, but a first time commenter.

Eph. 2:8-10 is my memory verse this week - it's awesome how it pops up as a reminder for me - God's working even here in blogland!

-Katrina
www.flipflopsandtoenailpolish.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Nicely said.

Please come and visit me I have something for you, of course if you would like that.

wish you a great day. Suzy

The Brown family said...

Well said.

southerninspiration said...

Very inspiring! thanks for sharing!

Trisha said...

I love it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I often feel we as Christians need to worry about ourselves a little more and less about the non-believer. In the end it is our job to love our neighbor. I take great peace in knowing it is not for me to decide who is right and who is wrong. Thank heavens for a loving Father who is all knowing.

By the way, you have a talent with words. I think it is just one of your many talents.

The Lunch Lady said...

Well said Kimba. I grew up in a very strict chruch and it's been liberating to come out of that and see that God created beauty and the arts, and the desire for us to express those things too! Looking nice and decorating and caring for our home is a reflection of Christ's beauty. We need to take good care of His temple and our havens of rest.

We are free in Christ!

Trish said...

Amen! Enjoyed reading your thoughts. It's important to remember that being a Christian is not something we "do"...it's something we "are", and your blog shines through in that way.

Traci said...

Aww shucks. I feel very blessed by this post and I might be wrong but am I the young Christian? If so then I feel even more blessed if I've been used by Him for inspiration.

A beautiful post and I couldn't agree more.

My First Kitchen said...

Thanks, Kimba. People don't hear about freedom in Jesus very often, and it's such awesomely good news. Thanks for sharing with us.

Tardevil said...

Well said!

Maren said...

Hi Kimba,

Not sure if I have posted before or not but I have been lurking for a bit. I enjoyed this post. I think there are "Christians" out there that can make one feel inadequate. But to me that isn't really what Christianity is all about. If we are like our Savior we are not judgemental. We are accepting of others...we love our "neighbor". It is so easy to "talk the talk". It is harder to "walk the walk". I have learned to WATCH what people do and how they treat others. I think it is so important to be an example to those around us which in blogland may include sharing your heart. You can get a sence of who some is even by what they write.

Thanks for being "real".

Shannon said...

came over for the first time from infarrantly creative...
love this post!! Very well said.

My homegroup is currently doing a study about community and last week the focus was on the importance of loving one another. God stresses how our love for one another as christians is the greatest representation of who God is. We definitely need to love more and judge less.