04 August 2008

Wanna See Something Funny?

My mom recently found this picture in dusty corner of the house. Not that my mom's house is dusty. Quite the contrary.


It was on the cover of my father's company magazine after the company picnic. I think I was 4 in this picture. Good grief! Look at those knobby knees!

Did you wear those big, fat ribbons ribbons when you were a kid? I can't even tell you what they were made of. They kind of looked like the fattest yarn you've ever seen. Do they still make them?

Still unloading the Pod. Boxes everywhere. And I'm going to Lowe's for spray paint. ;-) There's that prioritization problem again. I'm thinking that I need to buy a power painter. Yes?

post signature

33 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Linda said...

I wore those too. They did look like the biggest yarn you ever saw. I seem to remember mine fraying and my mom just cutting them. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. By the way, cute picture.
Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

oh what a lovely memory, now I know why I've kept all those photos...you look so cute!!!

hmmm,the moving day chaos, you know I just don't know an answer, in the cottage the worst thing was that there's little storage, old houses, small rooms, etc. it felt like I spent months moving stuff from one place to another just to get it put away, I hope you don't have to do that too much...

it's so exciting though, the cry days will be fewer and fewer...just think of all the things you can spray paint!!!

Sarah

The Chatty Housewife said...

I wore those, and I remember throwing them out probably 8 years ago from my mom's bathroom "hair drawer." Now I wish I still had them! I wonder if you can buy them anywhere.

Anonymous said...

I wore those braided yarn ribbons too, mine kinda looked like shoestrings if I remember correctly.

Moving day is always chaos and yes I cried when we moved this last time even though I love this house and I was the one that wanted to move, go figure.

My DH gets upset at spray paint overspray too! I ruined several landscape blocks not to long ago, LOL, but it doesn't keep me from spraying away, I love spray paint.
Have fun with all the new projects and I hope that you're back online soon.

Take care
Michelle

angela | the painted house said...

Hey, don't worry about ditching your other work for spray painting...the gravel won't be there forever and the boxes can wait!

Totally had those yarn bows.

You are adorable!

Darlene said...

Awww you are too cute and you can tell you are having fun!!!

The boxes aren't going anywhere so I say...Spray Paint Away!!!!!

Unknown said...

LOL...love the picture...I never wore those cause my mom kept my hair short...
Good luck unpacking, and as for the "prioritizing"...just think of the spray paint as your link to sanity in an insane time...

Marie said...

Oh how I envied the girls with the fat yarn bows!! I didn't have them. I had 8 brothers and sisters. My mom had my hair cut SHORT when I started first grade. I am under the assumption she didn't have time to put hair bows in all our hair so nobody got them. I am still traumatized over that. Can you tell?

I saw a power sprayer at the thrift store about a month ago. I thought of you. lol

Caren said...

Cute picture! I loved those ribbons when I was younger and yes, of course my sister and I wore them. I wish they did still make them, they're adorable. (Not that I have anyone to put them on but they are cute)

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I love finding those kinds of pictures. My husband has one of me for his screen saver.

Anonymous said...

I had yarn bows too. But, you totally rocked the look.

What color paint are we getting today? I need to make a paint run myself. Of course, I do not have a new house that needs unpacking. :)

Paint away friend. Oh, on my bloggy page, I made you banana bread. If you were closer, I would bring it to you. -- Brandi

TupeloLove said...

That is such a cute picture! And did you ever have those hair ties that had those huge marbles on the ends of them? I used to always accidentally crack my knuckles with those things, they hurt so bad!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie patootie!☺
Yep, I remember those ribbons and also those pony tailers with the big marbles...LOL!

Have a happy and inspired day!♥

Anonymous said...

I remember those. I had them in all different colors. Memory lane is so fun.

Blanca

Courtney said...

yes, I think you NEED it, Kimba! ;-) hey you have a leetle award at Nesting Instincts :-)

Jane said...

Not only did I have the yarn, but my Mom would put those painful "knockers" in my head. You know the ponytail holders that had big plastic balls on the end...ouch!

Deb said...

Hi Kimba, it's not funny at all, it's darling. You were such a cutie. Yes, I remember those yard hair ties, and NO! they don't still make them. LOL! Now those *are* funny. Deb

Heathahlee said...

Yes, I wore those big yarn things. More often than the ones with the big plastic balls on them. You were too cute. Wish I could say I feel the same way about the clown. I'm sorry, clowns just creep me out! Clowns and certain kinds of puppets. I know, I have issues! : )

emily freeman said...

I'm so glad you're going to buy spray paint. That is so awesome. And yes, had those yarny ribbons in bright yellow. And has anyone ever told you your profile photo looks exactly like Kristen Davis? Just wonderin.

Claremont First Ward said...

So incredibly cute. I can see why it made the cover!

Priscilla said...

I remember those hairbows too. Mostly I wore the ponytail holders with the 2 plastic balls on them. It ended up looking like you had a couple of marbles in your hair.

Annie said...

Glad to see that the move is going well. As for the hair bows, I didn't have them, I was a victim of the 'Dorothy Hamil' haircut! I hated my hair like that! Well, at the time I didnt' care, but now looking at pictures I swear I would never do that to my daughter!

Anyway, that's great about the gravel, now you can spray paint to your heart's content! Can't wait to see pics of your spray painted goods!

Shannon said...

I didn't wear those, we wore grossgrain ribbon. If you were 4 in this picture you were ALL legs!! :)

Anonymous said...

Buy a sprayer.

Buy a sprayer.

My dh just spent Sunday afternoon spraying 5 pieces of my furniture white. It was way cheaper (and SO much easier) than using 43 cans of spray paint that would have taken me 2 weeks to finish!

I'll be posting about it soon, as soon as I catch up on my junking/antiqueing posts here:
http://jessicak.typepad.com/
paperpoppies

Can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve!

Mrs. B said...

You were so cute! Hope the unpacking is going well! And yes, you should totally buy a power painter! Except that then you'd probably have to clean and maintain it, and spray paint cans you can just toss. Hmmm.

cherry said...

Rofl....you crack me up! Yes I wore those amongst other things... barrettes. such as the ones you made with silk ribbon and beads. That sounds like proper prioritizin to me girl. cherry

Blogger said...

I feel so deprived, I never had those ribbons...but I did have the plastic animal colored barrettes! lol ;)

You have to frame that!!!

Bella :)
wishing she had a POD of neat things to unload, or even a dusty corner ;)

sweetfunkyvintage said...

I totally wore those! I haven't thought about those in years!!
:)
Missy

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Kimba ~
You were a precious little girl !!! I do remember those big fat yarn ribbons ~ I remember one school pic I had with mustard yellow ones ~ hmmm... I am not so sure about that now ~
xoxo,
Lori

Munchkins and Music said...

Old pictures are so much fun to look at. Brings back floods of memories.

Nancy Hood said...

Oh my, it's been years since I've thought of those fat, fat yarn ribbons. ha ha My sister and I had all colors :) can't wait to see what you will do with the paint!!

Tabitha said...

I dunno, those priorities sound about right!! I tend to get distracted with side projects, too! :)
Hey, FYI, despite your current craziness with moving, hop on over to my Roots & Wings blog and enter a giveaway for a set of customized cards!! :)
www.proudgrits.blogspot.com
-Tabitha

Jennifer P. said...

I can't believe you're moving....and BLOGGING still! You go girl :)!

Yes, I had those yarn-y hair things. Did you have one of the barretts that had two colors of ribbon braided through it and then the ribbons cascaded down. Very early 80's!

Your smile is still the same :)!