14 August 2008

Roadside Decorating

Huh? Roadside decorating? What the heck are you talking about? I'm not referring to bits of furniture that I'm apt to snag out of someone's trash to rehab. My poor kids.

I'm also not referring to actually decorating the roadside near my house.

I'm referring to the fact that I keep a set of clippers in my glove compartment so that if I see wildflowers or some other interesting flora growing on the side of the road, I can pull over and clip some to take home.


Now I don't go clipping things out of other people's gardens - unless it's really dark and no one is home. ;-) But I am known to tromp through the roadside mud to get me some cattails to stick in a vase with a bunch of rocks.


I've also been known to clip some thistles and Queen Ann's lace for a pretty arrangement. A little tip - use gloves when you cut thistles. Those things are prickly. Ouch.

So keep your eye's open when you're driving. I guess that goes without saying, huh? You never know what might be growing wild.


post signature

43 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Missy Wertz said...

I love what you have done! Great ideas and inspiring.

Missy Wertz said...

I was posting more about your thrifty finds, but I love your cattails and stones as well. Good thinking!

Jackie ♥ said...

Kimba,

Love your ideas! I'm glad I'm not the only one pulling over on the side of the road to get flowers and wild plants! My hubby thinks I'm crazy..because we have chiggers here in Missouri.

Looks like your house is coming together beautifully!

Hugs from Missouri,
Jackie

joelandbecca said...

I have been a lurker for a bit now! But, I love this idea. I just never dare too! As if someone is going to stop me! Anyways-now that I have made myself known-thanks for your cleverness!

cherry said...

Cool idea..I will have to put scissors in the glove compartment for that. Your arrangements are lovely...love your urn too! cherry

Kathryn said...

Oh, especially during winter, I am on the lookout for beautiful evergreens to use in my "vignette" decorations throughout the house. A bucket, a pair of clippers, a pair of gloves, and a pair of boots are handy things to keep in the car trunk! ;-)

The chair still looks pretty. I do like the b/w damask fabric with it.

Frustrated Farmgirl said...

Great idea! I need to put some clippers in my car. I can't tell you how many times I see wildflowers in the ditch and wish I had something to cut some with. The cattails are gorgeous!
-Stacey

Unknown said...

I love your arrangement Kimba. Great idea.....I haven't seen those around here...I'll start looking!
diane

Marie said...

I tell myself all the time I need to put some sort of cutters in my car! I just always forget I tell myself that until I need them! The cat tails are pretty!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Pretty roadside arrangements. My understanding is that it is that in our state we can be fined for cutting cattails, because they are protected. Yours make a beautiful arrangement. Have a wonderful day. Jackie

Heathahlee said...

You could even have your husband raid someone's brush pile in the middle of the day right in front of their house for some great branches. Not that I've ever done that.

Beautiful arrangement! : )

Christy said...

Your arrangements are very pretty. I especially like the thistles and Queen Anne's lace. Great idea about keeping the clippers in the car.

Have a great day!
~Christy

Darlene said...

Hi Kimba,

Your arrangements look so pretty....great idea to keep clippers in the car. I love your red shade to brown vase. In my last picture in my post today I pulled out of the garage a similar one that is a soft green shade to brown....love it!!

ROXY said...

What a great idea!! I am going to put some in my glove box today!! I absolutely love the cat tails idea. They're so unexpected:) Great work!

Lacy said...

Great idea!!!

Christina said...

You know, I've seen things on the side of the road that I thought would look good in a vase, but the thought of clipping them and taking them home never crossed my mind. LOL

Another great idea of yours!

Unknown said...

LOL..those are so cute...but I wonder what would happen if you got pulled over and the cop saw your "weapon"...LOl..

I have a little something for you at my blog when you have time...

Anonymous said...

You are cracking me up! What else do you keep in your car in case of a decorating emergency?

The arrangements look Fab.

Blanca

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I love Queen Anne's lace! It grew in abundance near my childhood home, and I would always pick some for my mom. Great idea to keep clippers in the car :)!

Blessings,
Stacey

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is brilliant! I'll have to pick up an extra pair of clippers myself!

Anonymous said...

The cat tails are so pretty. They are so bright and green. Lovely.

You Queenie plant also so sweet. Looks so pretty next to your new chair.

I've only snagged sticks and an occasional pine cone, never live plants. We have kudzu around here, but it doesn't look as pretty in a vase.

Ashley said...

Cattails are so pretty. I remmeber my mom decorating with them when I was little. The whole brown thing in the early eighties. They still look great today. I might have to go a searching.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love the cattails! So fun, very natural colors and textures.
-Carrie

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! I'm really drawn to the cattails with the rocks. So natural. I'll have to get me some clippers in the car. Thanks for sharing!

Candice said...

Great ideas. Those arrangements looks so pretty!

Nancy Hood said...

love it!! love the reddish urn also ~ looks like Southern Living at Home!

Celly B said...

Thanks for the tip! That's a great idea to keep the clippers in the car.
When we were on vacation in Tennessee last week, my daughter and I made an impromptu bouquet of wild daisies and Queen Anne's lace!

nikkicrumpet said...

I showed my hubby the pretty vase with the cattails...he gave me "his look" and said "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT"!! For the first time ever our pond cattails actually bloomed with REAL cattails. I guess he doesn't want me to cut them lol. It looks so pretty though in the vase...I guess I'll have to go tromp in the mud :[

Kitty Scraps said...

Great idea, I have the perfect pair of clippers too since I never use them in around my house. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully I'll get pictures soon and up of my YS find that I need your advice on. Thanks Kimba!

Nicole said...

So pretty. I love the little cattails. When I was little we used to color them with crayons and try to sell them to all of the neighbors. You did a great job arranging them.

Sydney said...

what great ideas! thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you'll visit again soon!

Unknown said...

Those arrangements are lovely. Everything on your blog is so pretty!

Liz Harrell said...

Wow Kim! That's great!

Ashley said...

Beautiful! And I see you've snuck that gorgeous chair into the picture!

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I found a something that as your name all over it. I can see you spray painting, hot glue, stapling and all that other magical stuff you do.

Come to my blog and check it out....hint it starts as 2 chairs and ends up a bench.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

What a great idea Kimba! I need to get some garden shears to keep in my car!! thats a great tip! :)

Anonymous said...

You are too funny, I think thats too cute that you do that and a GREAT idea! Thank you for the pictures!

trish said...

Yesterday, my son and I went out into the woods to cut thistles for an arrangement (after seeing yours). It was fun, until I saw what lived in the thistles! :o) I think I need to stick to store bought. Smile! I just love your blog! It is one I go to on a regular basis. Thank you for posting pictures and LOVE your Sunday scripture readings. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I think I ought to delurk here...I check your blog near daily--no sense in not posting!

You are one prepared woman! I'm impressed that you keep clippers in your car.

~ Sarah

meg said...

I just saw your comment on my blog and I'm so excited. I just adore your blog. Thank you so, so much! :)

Meg

happylittleprince said...

You just brought back a memory of my mother doing the same thing when I was younger. I remember her running into a ditch to cut cattails. They look great!

emily freeman said...

YAY! What a lovely idea. Keep your eyes open when you're driving...my favorite line.

Jo said...

Oh, I do this every chance I get! Right now, I have an old milk-bottle filled with alfalfa on my kitchen table. It's from a vacant lot near my house. I grabbed it while walking home from a slushie run on Saturday.