01 July 2008

A Touch of Summer

I've got beach on the brain. We're leaving for vacation this weekend so by this time next week I hope to be relaxing here.



Actually, there will be very little sitting for me. Much more keeping my children from drowning in the water and getting lost forever. Is it crazy that I'm seriously considering buying these? Temporary tatoos for your kids with your cell phone number on them.

Anyway, in the meantime, I wanted to dress up my kitchen sideboard for summer.

I had a bunch of seashells that I bought at Big Lots when there was still snow on the ground. So I put them together with some sand borrowed from my kids' sandbox.


And for some reason, blue hydrangeas say "beach" to me. Maybe it's because most of the houses where we vacation have them planted everywhere. A few flowers cut from my yard in a clear glass pitcher with some blue glass pebbles.

Now it feels summery in here.



post signature

28 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

That looks really pretty :) I love the shells in the glass jars.

Joy said...

It looks beachy, beautiful to me.

Jennifer P. said...

So very summery! I love hydrangeas--but they never stay blue here (not enough acid in the soil). It was fun to read through your whole page and see what you've been up to. The bench you made for the bottom of your bed---TOO CUTE! I need to stop bloggin' long enough to get to some house projects! The bojillion hits I get off of Nester's blog are probably expecting to see SOMETHING domestic from me--and instead I've just been in a rambling mood lately. It's my blog though, right :)?!

Thanks for linking me. You're on my list to add too---so generous with all your comments!

Sarah Mae said...

Ooooh, that is beachy! I haven't seen the beach in years...bring me some sand, will you?

Kat said...

Sooooo preeeetty. I love the little bird in the blue, glassy rock things. Cuuuute.

Marie said...

Very beachy! Very pretty! Have a great time on your vacation! I'm dying to spend a few days at the beach this summer...

Trixi said...

It looks great. Thank you for the tutorial on painting. I love to see how others do things. My husband took off this week and we are going to be painting several rooms. I hope to share them soon.
Blue Hydrangeas say everything summer to me. They are sooo beautiful.
Blessings,
Trixi

Tiffany said...

Very nice. My in-laws are moving to FL so I've got beach on the brain, too. I hope to visit them as soon as they get unpacked!

Caren said...

Looks really pretty Kimba! I love blue hydrangeas.

Anonymous said...

It sure looks like summer to me! I planted 6 of those hydrangas about a month ago. Im so exicited and cant wait for them to bloom. I wish we were going to the beach next week. We are planning a trip just waiting on hubby. His company is going to a new computer system and he is going nuts. When its all changed over we are headed to the sand! I hope you have a laptop cause you know we cant go days without you! Susie H~

Stacey said...

What a great idea!

Temporary tatoo's w/ cell phone #!

Made me laugh...have a good vacation.

Shannon said...

I'm so jealous of your hydrangeas!! I planted some this year only to loose them to a LATE 22 degree frost. I didn't rip them up so a few weeks later they started growing back. Now they are back to original size but I'm afraid I will have any blooms this year. Oh well! I'm excited to see what color they come back as. Your arrangement looks so good and beachy!!

Unknown said...

I was going to do that shell/sand in the vase thing for my "beach" room...I have the sand...the shells (from our FL vacation) and the vase...So what am I waiting for??

Stephanie said...

I love the arrangement! we just moved near the beach and I'm having fun incorporating beach themes throughout my home!
the tatoos are a great idea! I'd definitely be ordering some if my kiddos were younger!

Heathahlee said...

I wish I were headed to the beach...I have some shells that I've collected over the years in a pretty platter on my sofa table. I plan on using some with some of my pretty little ceramic animals I collected when I was my Kiddo's age. I've got a seahorse, dolphin, a crab or two, etc, etc. I'm sure I can figure something out to do with them to take me to the beach! :)

Caren said...

At the risk of sounding like a four year old... Kimba! Kimba! Kimba! Go see what I did! I think you'll be proud of me! I might just be your protege.

angela | the painted house said...

I swear I could hear the waves rolling when your page loaded. I'm losing my mind, Kimba.

Those hydrangeas are some fine specimens. Beautiful!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Kimba,
I have featured you today on Today's Creative Blog.
email me for your button.
krjdemmon@comcast.net

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

We leave for the beach this weekend, too. Cannot wait. And I just cut all the blooms off my hydrangeas last night. I was having a hard time getting them to stay upright in the vase...so I just put them in this short square vase-and with more bloom than stem, it seems to work. But I like the rocks idea. Might help them to stay up...

Empty Nest Full Life said...

A beautiful touch of summer. Wish I had some blue hydrangeas. I have planted some, but with our hot summers, they really struggle. Makes me want to get up and brighten a little spot around here. Hope I will be posting some projects soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba! I just love everything I have seen on your blog. I hope to have time to go through all of your old posts. I love the seashells combined with the blue rocks and hydrangeas. I might have to put some hydrangeas with my seashells! Also, I just love the idea to spray paint plates. I have wondered if it would work-but never tried it. Could you please tell me what brand of heirloom white spray paint you use? Thanks a bunch! I also hope you have a wonderful time relaxing on the beach. That sounds so nice right now!

Angie's Spot said...

I can just hear the ocean from here while looking at your decor!

Trudi said...

Looks great.

elizabeth engelhardt creations said...

You are very inspiring!!! Looks nice and refreshing to me....looks like you belong on the beach!!

Deanna said...

I love seashells! And you're right...they do add a touch of summer. I have two big jars with wooden tops that are stuffed full of seashells my mom and I picked up off the beach when I was still in grade school. I keep them in the bathroom.

Rmomof3 said...

I am a big hydrangea fan! Beautiful!
blessings,
Renee

Kimba said...

Kathleen,

I couldn't reply to your comment by email so I'll answer you here. Hopefully you'll see it. :-)

The Heirloom White paint that I use is American Accents by Rustoleum.

Saucy said...

Yes!!!! Hydrangeas and beach. Totally. I decorated for summer, used all my vases, shells and sand and then went for the blue hydrangeas. Wonder why?