05 May 2008

A Splash of Color

It looks like the weather may have finally broken for good up here in the north. Whenever the weather starts warming up and things start blooming, I get the urge to open the windows and bring some of the outside color inside. So over the weekend I decided that I wanted to freshen up the sideboard in my kitchen. It's been the same all winter and it was looking a little tired to me.


I have this piece of ironwork that I've been wanting to do something with for a while. I'm pretty sure that I bought it for a few bucks at TJMaxx about 5 years ago. At one time it was used on my deck to keep a large planter raised off the floor. Then the planter went bye-bye and the ironwork got stuck under the deck and had been there for a couple of years.

This is what it looked like when I started.

I actually kind of liked the way it was - all weathered and rusty. It would have looked great as-is. Maybe there is some lesson there about my own laugh lines and stray grey hairs. But I'm in no mood for self-reflection today so on with my story. :)

I decided to clean it up and give it a coat of paint. Usually, I would paint something like this black or white and leave it at that. But I really wanted a new splash of color in my kitchen for spring.

Here's how it looked with the primer. Pretty. It would have been great white but that's not what I was going for.

And then with two coats of Key Lime spray paint!

I love how it looks on my black sideboard with the white ceramic and purple lilacs. Kind of unexpected and pretty. And when I'm tired of the green, I can paint it black or white or yellow.

14 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Tracey said...

This looks GREAT! A nice reminder not to be afraid of color. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I Love that color~~!! It looks great!

Here is the link to what the black cabinet I'm painting started out as..
http://deepfriedapplepies.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/a-lost-post/

It was a Mexican Rustic Pine Cabinet some friends of ours gave to us. Don't worry, they know I was going to paint it!!!

I use Johnson's Paste Wax as a finish on my painted Furniture.. After it's painted and dried, you just wax it like you wax a car. It gives a nice sheen, but not shine, and is really durable.

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kim! That looks so great! That green is just perfect with your lilacs. I love iron pieces like that. I've been keeping my eye out for one at yard sales but haven't found one yet.

Heathahlee said...

I'm just sayin'...I lost 99.9% of my creativity when I gave birth over 8 years ago...I would have never thought to do something like that. It looks great! Sigh...hopefully reading all you creative people will help get my creative juices flowin' again!

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

I just enjoyed reading your blog and I liked it so much I'm adding you to my blog roll. You're doing a great job!

I love what you did with the iron piece. How refreshing to paint it a color :)

Have a beautiful night,
rue

Shannon said...

This looks great! I just got finished reading your blog and I love it! Your chairs were an AWESOME find!! I can't wait until you find the perfect table!

Chris said...

Hi Kim. Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE the green. That's just so cute. I'm having a great time cruisin' your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Kimba..
Use flat paint if you want to use the furniture wax.. it works the best!

Jennifer said...

Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I've been looking around yours and I'm loving it!

Love, love ,love the spring green paint!

I had to laugh about your kids yelling "pizza man!" every time the doorbell rings... my two year old does the exact same thing!

Anonymous said...

It looks really great! Lime green and black is one of my favorite color combos (basically the color of my kitchen).

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Hello and thanks for stopping by my blog. That iron piece is nice and has lots of detail. I even liked the color of the primer but for the spring/summer that green is spectacular.

Blanca

aimee said...

That green! I love it. It looks so cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. So glad to have found yours!

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I just wanted to tell you that I love the lime green color. It was a great choice.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

It's actually really great! I love that color! I have been trying to figure out how to punch up my house. It's soooooo bland right now. Too much brown.