13 May 2008

Decorating on the cheep...

News flash! You don't have to spend a bunch of money to get some cute little accents for your home.

A couple of you commented on the little ceramic bird that I showed in my kitchen cabinet a couple of days ago. I thought I'd show you how he came to be.

He started his life as a tacky Dollar Store ceramic bird. See? I don't know if you can tell but he's kind of a mottled brownish color.


Actually, he isn't all that bad but just not something that I would choose. But I liked his fat little shape. So I brought him home. I'm not sure why I think he's a "he". Sometimes he sits in a little nest so to me that suggests a she. Whatever. He's a "he".

Anyway...a quick spray of primer and then glossy white paint and I had a little birdie that I use all over the house. He cost me exactly $1.00 plus a few pennies of spray paint.

Sometimes he's in the kitchen cupboard like I showed you the other day.

Sometimes he sits in this little nesty-thing in my china cupboard.
And do you see that vessel thingy he's sitting in there? That was a thrift store find for $1.50. It was hideous. All fake gold metallic and just icky. Now, I love it!

And sometimes he sits on this stack of books.

I like him so much that I went back and bought two more that I'll paint the same way. Maybe one of the new ones is a she and they'll make me a little flock of white ceramic birdies.

So what's my point? You never know where you'll find something that you love for your home. Look at the shape and the structure of something. A coat of paint is a wonderful thing and can change something tacky into something great.

20 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

Wow, HE looks like you bought him that way. Don't you just love paint. By the way I love what you did with the white dishes in your cabinets.

Blanca

Gretchen said...

Love, love love your blog!
What beautiful spiritual inspiration and fun decorating ideas!
Can't wait to read more!

Sissy said...

I love that you painted that...I spray paint things all the time, although that bird probably beats them all!

The Farmer Files said...

That bird could have his own blog about what he sees and does. ;)

Kat said...

I don't know why, but I thought this to be an almost funny post. Well, maybe funny isn't the right word...cute. That's it. That little bird is just everywhere :) I'm sure Heathahlee, the self-proclaimed bird nerd, will love him :)

Tam said...

I think this was very funny! I really liked your post here! Hear me laughing yeppers that is me! O btw I have a sense of humor big time

Heathahlee said...

Oh, Kim, I do love him! He is adorable! You have just given me inspiration galore! I was looking at Emily's blog at Chatting At The Sky and saw her pretty white dishes on her wall and thought, I'd like to do that, but that would probably cost too much to find all those dishes...now all I have to do is find some icky ones at the flea market or Dollar Tree and paint away! Woo hoo!

Kimba said...

Painting plates!!! What a fantastic idea!!! I spray paint everything but it never occured to me to do it with decorative dishes.

Oh --- My husband is going to kill me. ;-)

Liz Harrell said...

I think he's adorable! Really suits your style.

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! You did a great job on that little birdie! I LOVE that footed bowl thingy he's in in your china cabinet (also love the tureen and pitcher in that picture). I can see I'm going to have to go stock up on glossy white spray paint!

aimee said...

How cute! I saw those little birdies a couple of weeks ago at Dollar Tree and I thought they were cute except for the beaty black eyes and orange beak. I love what you did!!!! I am going to have to run over and see if they still have some and pick up a few.

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

That little birdie is too cute! LOVE him :)

Thank you for your prayers about the farmhouse. All we can do is put it on the market and leave to God :)

Have a beautiful day sweetie!
rue

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I went to the dollar store and they had your bird's cousin and now I am the proud owner of one also. now I just spray paint to fix him up.

I am also going to borrow that idea of spray painting dishes. That idea is great. way to go.

ugagirl30 said...

Okay, so you bird owners made me jealous. I looked high and low for a fat little bird like this, somehow forgetting that you said dollar store. I read on someone else's post about getting one at DT. I went today and they hooked me up. I am loving it--don't know yet if it is a he or a she, it hasn't made it inside from drying. It was almost dry when my loving daughters brought it inside for me and screwed up the paint job. So now I had to repaint it and it has drips. But it still looks great. Thanks for the idea.

stephanie h said...

Ok, I had to post b/c I found several of these birds at the Dollar Tree this wknd and painted one white and then one black and I LOVE them! It was such a "cheep" and easy project! I think I am even gonna put a little orange ribbon around the black birds neck for Halloween. I may even do a red one for Christmas.

Thanks for the idea, I love my little birds! :)

Unknown said...

I love spray paint too! The bird and the plates are awesome! Did you prime them first? Thanks for sharing

Blessings,

Ginnie

Lauren said...

YOU have WAY INSPIRED ME! I am totally going to the buck bush! How awesome! how cheap!

Pretty Organizer said...

What would I do without you! Thanks so much Kimba. I need to advertise party stuff for 3 weeks+ to feel like people are going to show up. I have 3 little spray painted birdies in my kitchen too!

Anonymous said...

So cute - I always forget about taking the occasional stroll through the dollar store - I run in with my hair on fire to buy my old standby black wooden frames, but rarely look past that aisle. I'm going over there this afternoon, I think, and soak up their air-conditioning. Thanks for the nudge.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

ooohhhh, birdie procreation....great post...and great idea....