02 November 2009

Make Your Home More Welcoming - Challenge #7


Use the good stuff.

Do you have a china cabinet full of wedding china (or Grandma's china or thrift store china?) that only gets pulled out for a holiday or special occasion? How about some pretty glasses that don't get used because they're fragile? Is it REALLY the end of the world if one gets broken?

What's the point? Let's get out the good stuff and use it for our own family. Now, I'm not telling you to use Grandma's china if that's going to mean hours of hand washing afterward, but if it can go in the dishwasher...why not?

Me? I'm going to pull out some fun appetizer plates that I only use for parties and use them to serve lunch to the kids. Fun, right? And easy.

And I'm going to pull out my fancy goblets and use them for dinner.

Do you have something special that you don't use. Get it out and give it a spin! Maybe there's a bottle of champagne in the back of your fridge that's just waiting for a special occasion.

I say Monday is a special occasion. How about you?

You can browse all of our challenges and join in any time. Just click here to see the whole series.

~~~~~~~~~~

I have 1 or 2 spots left for holiday advertising. If you'd like information on reaching ASPTL readers with your fabulous goodies for Christmas, email me and I'll send you all the details.



photo credit DeusXFlorida

21 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Jennifer Juniper said...

You're right, what am I waiting for? It's so scary, though!!!

Suzann said...

I hear ya girlie.

I was just thinking about my grandmother's china and I really am going to start using them for dinners on Sundays for just my family. To show them how much I value them and our time together.

Queen B. said...

I agree. Why have gorgeous stuff if you never use it ?
I've used my china about 6 times in 17 years.
Pathetic.
Time to break it out :)

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

That is always such good advice. Now that Nov. is here, I'm going to get out my good Christmas dishes and USE them!
Blessings,
Nancy

Lettered Cottage said...

Amen Sister!

I'm ALL ABOUT pulling out the good stuff. Life is too short to wait around for so-called "special occasions". Why can't EVERY day be one, right? :-)

Layla

white flower farmhouse said...

I just realized that I have not put out the good silver for 18 years. I think it's about time! Lori

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

Isn't everyday special? Why don't we treat it as such?!

Unknown said...

I whole-heartedly agree! We use "the good stuff" whenever for whatever. There is nothing in my house I don't use. Otherwise, it's just taking up valuable space.

Blogs said...

I have pretty glass that I'm dying to get out. :)

I have some awards for ya!!:)

Anonymous said...

i use my "good" stuff all the time. but i dont have much anyways. working on my collection :D

beth said...

I don't have any "good" dishes, but I've never understood why people keep perfectly usable dishes locked up. What's the worst that could happen? Why have something sitting around gathering dust? Use it!

Lynn Kellan said...

Once I broke one of my grandmother's antique glasses; initially, I was horrified, but then I got over it and now I don't hesitate to use them.

When you break one, you realize that the world won't come to an end if you bust the good china. :)

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

I agree!!! Don't delay.

xo,
cristin

Elizabeth said...

These challenges have been such a great encouragement. Thanks so much!

Recently my new motto has been "life is just too short to not use your crystal and china." What's the point of having it if you can't enjoy it??

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

That is so funny...I just included something similar in a post last night (great minds...). There's something about lighting a few candles or eating from the good plates that makes Mac n' Cheese taste that much better :-).

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

If I had china, I would totally pull it out. Unfortunately, I listened to my mom (who hates entertaining) and didn't register for any. :s And somehow my aunt ended up with my grandmother's stuff that was supposed to go to my sister and I...hmmmm....Maybe I'll start combing TJ Maxx and find some of my OWN. ;)

Gina said...

I love this idea! We sometimes use our 'fancy' cups for jello and pudding and the kids love it-but I've always hesitated using our nice china and stuff because it needs hand washing-but why not? Or at least why not use just a few of the good things? Maybe a tea party is in our future this week!

Merrie said...

I like that idea. I think Monday is a reason to celebrate. :) My son picked dinner for tonight, which will warrant a stop at Trader Joe's on the way home. Me thinks a little bubbly cider could be a fun addition with our fancy delicate glasses. Why ignore them?

Thanks Kimba -- inspirational as always. Oh, and I pointed people in your direction in my post today. You're always a treat to read. :)

Ellie Kings said...

Always wondered why people never used the good stuff. Now that I have my own home, I know, afraid it might break. Thanks for the advice!

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

What a great reminder. I have tried this past year to make even small occasions special. We regularly have a game night with friends and I've been getting out some of the good stuff and setting the table with a 'theme' for our meal. I doubt the men care but the women notice and I enjoy using the items as well as showing them that I think they are special. I even do it just for the two of us some also...'just because'.

Kimberly Wright said...

I always use the good stuff. My mother never used hers and it still sits in the China Cabinet today.