29 July 2009

Decorating with Shells



A couple of days ago, I showed you the bounty of beautiful oyster shells that I collected on vacation. I stuck a bunch of them in a glass hurricane, but I asked for your ideas on what else I could do with eleventy-million pounds of oyster shells. I haven't gotten around to doing anything with them yet (I'm working on a furniture rehab project!), so I thought I would take the lazy girl's way out and show a bunch of your ideas.

Wisteria

Holy oyster shells, Batman! Look at this pricey beauty from Wisteria! Can you imagine how much it must weigh?

Cottage Living

Cottage Living style editor Heather Chadduck also was inspired by the gray and white shells and actually covered her own fireplace with the shells. She asked a local restaurant to keep the shells then had them run through their industrial dishwasher with bleach. Then using tile mastic and the help of several friends, her fireplace was encrusted and given an entire new look.

Wisteria

These pretty little candleholders are also from Wisteria. Very pretty and very doable.

Martha Stewart

Of course, Martha Stewart had to weigh in on the issue with these adorable seashell candles. Wouldn't these look great for a summer wedding?

Country Living

How about salt and pepper holders for a seafood supper?

It's the little things that make a house a home

I think I'm going to try these seashell shadowboxes from It's the little things that make a house a home. They would look great with river rocks too.

Cottage Living

These oyster shell crusted lamps were ordinary. inexpensive lamps that J. Marshall Sims completely reinvented for the 2008 Coastal Living idea house. Great idea, I say!

Young House Love

Sherry and John from Young House Love shared this oyster shell chandelier that they discovered while shopping in Savannah.

Country Living

I'm digging this tote bag that's been embellished with shells. Very pretty!

~~~~~~~~~~

In true Kimba fashion, I forgot to pick a winner for our $40 gift certificate giveaway from Monkey See Boutique until right now. Drum roll, please! The winner is Holly! Shoot me an email and we'll get you set up.

If you would like to make a purchase from Monkey See Boutique, you can use code thankyou10 to receive 10% off your entire order.

~~~~~~~~~~
DIY Day @ ASPTL

Don't forget! Thursday is DIY Day on ASPTL! The DIY Day post will go up at 10:00PM tonight (Wednesday). Get your posts ready!

27 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

All wonderful and doable!! Have fun with whatever you decide to do.!

Amy said...

Those shadow boxes are my favorite. I totally want to do that!

Richella Parham said...

I meant to comment on that earlier post, but then there are a lot of things I meant to do and never got around to doing. So here's one more idea for you. Take the little broken pieces (I'm guessing that there are some!) and spray paint them gold and/or silver. Voila! Pirate's treasure for your boys.

Georgia Girl said...

Wow so many ideas to use these with...I like the tea light candle holders the best...so cute!

Congrats to Holly on the giveaway!

Chris said...

Let's see...I love the candle holders, I love the re-invented lamps, I love the fireplace...they were all great ideas!

Maya said...

The oyster shell chandelier is fantastic. I'd love to find something like that. All the shells in the shadow box frames are awesome too (got that on my files also).

Jenny Froh said...

Oh my gosh! So many great ideas!!!

Unknown said...

Love those pretty candle holders, they look like elegant flowers! Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

mommynoodles said...

WOW! Love that fireplace,who would have thought! And I never thought of filling the whole shawdow box. Natalie,

duchess said...

All great ideas.
I just have to tell you this:
everytime I see that cute little button on your site for Monkey See-my eyes play tricks on me with those xx's & a quick glance makes it read: Monkey Sex.
I know. Freudian slip I guess but I just had to get that out.

arkie said...

Loved the unique shell decor pics!

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

I've been meaning to make one of those shadow boxes. I have a bunch of shells from our honeymoon that have been sitting in the closet for years!

Alexis said...

The candleholders from Wisteria are amazingly beautiful! What a great small, thoughtful AND creative present that would make!(Thinking of Christmas presents...)Hmmm, now to actually think aout where I could get those shells...

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You read my mind, Kimba! :) Brother and sis-in-law are bringing me a bunch of shells back from their beach trip, and I was trying to think of something creative to do. Now I can just copycat the pics you shared. ;)

I have a post ready for the party. I love the DIY party---so many fantastic ideas out there! :)

Erin said...

Candleholders and tote bag are defnitely my faves! Makes me wish I was near the beach!

Jennifer Juniper said...

That little votive candle holder looks like a beachy pine cone! And how brave to cover your whole fireplace surround...I'm not that brave yet.

But, my favorite has to be the first mirror. It actually looks elegant like that!

Joanna said...

What great ideas! All these shells around the beach here, I swear I need to get a bucket and go get some so I can create some of these great projects! I just love that shadow box!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Many great ideas. Jackie

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

ALL terrific ideas!! Can't wait to see what you end up doing!!

A Southern Rose said...

The shadow boxes are my favorites! If I had a beach house, I would have to have that mantle!

Kate Riley said...

I am loving those Wisteria candle holders. You must make those !!! I love them so much. PLEEEEESE make them. And then send me one.

Anny said...

What a bunch of clever ideas! It looks like you have loads of fun times coming up soon :)

Its So Very Cheri said...

I am starting a NEW Mr. Linky party. It will begin on Aug 10th so everyone will have a week and a half to think about their first post. I have a poll up for votes on which button should be the new button. The "party" is called The Knock Off Knock Out-where THRIFTY meets creative sensation. Help me out by voting and its the last week for the July GIVE-A-Way.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

{oc cottage} said...

I'd like to give all those ideas a whirl!

m ^..^

EMBELLISH said...

What fun ideas. I love them all. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

that mirror is beautiful!! But it must way a TON!

grannyann said...

Those were some really great ideas.
Thanks for showing pics.