28 June 2009

Today's Thrify Treasures ~ My Finds

I only hit one garage sale this weekend, but I found lots of great treasures to share during Today's Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality!

I think I squeeeeeeeled when I saw the gigantic fork and spoon for $1.00! These have already been rehabbed and are hanging on my wall. If you want to see how they look now, click here. Tres Kitchy!

A set of 5 brass trivets for 75 cents. I'll probably paint the fish ones in bright fishy colors and hang them on the playroom wall. The butterfly will go to a friend.

A big box of mason jars for $1.80! These are great for decorating as well as canning.

Matching picture frames for $3.00! I'll be painting them and using the frames somewhere else.

More frames! The big ones were $1.00 each. The little one was 25 cents!

Popcorn bowls for family movie night for $3.00. I thought these were overpriced, but the kids will love them so I splurged.

BIG picture in frame for $2.00. I bought it for the frame but the painting is growing on me.

As a side note: I almost didn't go into this sale. I stumbled on it when I saw a tiny sign on the side of the road. There were just a few tables set up in the garage and nothing sitting in the driveway. I figured there wouldn't be much there. Turns out it was an entire house sale with 5 rooms full of stuff! I wish I'd gone earlier!

The lesson? If you're shopping, don't bypass ones that don't look that good from the outside. There might be a treasure inside. And for sellers? Promote the size of your sale on the sign!

66 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Gwen said...

I always say this, but you all have much better garage sale prices than I do here in CA. I want to move, if only for the cool garage sale finds!

I kind of like the painting too. It reminds me of when I lived in Washington.

I could have really used those jars yesterday. I made raspberry mint jam, but forgot to check that I had enough jars beforehand. Yikes!

Kari said...

How fun. I own a gigantic spoon and fork that are wooden. I need to get a photo of them before I redo them a different color. Almost gave them a way a while back, but I couldn't bare to part with them....too much potential! Good finds for you!
ps...i have a set of the popcorn bowls, similar to what you got and mine are from crate and barrel. considering how much mine cost - you got yours for a steal :o)

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Great finds!

It is so true! I've found some of the most delightful things at unadvertised sales or sales that look like there isn't much to offer. Real hidden gems, sometimes.

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

I love what you do with all those frames. Putting such lovely things in them.

Unknown said...

That giant fork and spoon totally made me laugh out loud. Remember "Everybody Loves Raymond"? The older parents in that show have a giant fork and spoon hanging on their wall.

In one episode they admitted they were hanging there because of a fight, and no one wanted to be the one to take them down and give in. So they finally decided to get over the 40+ yr old argument, and they took them down and the wallpaper behind was bright and shiny while all the other wallpaper was dark and dull and dingy. They had to leave them up or remodel. I laughed so hard.

I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Missy Wertz said...

I used to have a fork and spoon like that. I bought them at a yard sale in the early 80's for 25 cents or something like that. I used them in my shabby apt while I was working and going to school. Then gave them to my mom who used them in her kitchen. They looked great in her kitchen. Then she sold or donated them to the church rumage sale. I think they sold for a 50 cents or a $1.

They were used for more than 15 years and when sold, made money off of them. How about that!

Are you going to paint yours?

Tara said...

WOW! You got some awesome deals!!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Good finds, Kimba! I've found SO many frames over the years, most of mine have come from the sales.

I'm laughing over how popular those forks & spoons are becoming again. I remember them from back in the 60's/70's too. I haven't found any yet, but I do think they're kinda cute. I did pass up a giant scissors awhile ago that I probably should have bought, darn it.

Thanks for playing today in my party! I'm sure your kids will love the popcorn bowls too. They are cute.

Nicole A. said...

Love all of your finds Kimba! You did Awesome for one sale! Those frames are awesome as well as the fork and spoon!

Maggie Elizabeth said...

I love the fork and spoon! You really found some great things!
Thanks for sharing!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You really did find some wonderful treasures. All the pictures and frames are just wonderful. I really like the really big one. The trivets are too cute and you're right, the children will love the popcorn bowls. You found great stuff. Hugs, Marty

Shawon said...

Now I'm kicking myself again for passing up a fork and spoon set when I was out on Saturday morning-it was only $2! I'm glad that you didn't pass it up. Great buys!

Madison said...

Kimba those all are beautiful! Love the spoon and fork!!

Love, Madison

★Carol★ said...

I'm guilty of driving by sales that don't look that exciting, and I often wonder if I missed something good! You got some great deals, especially that huge picture. I love it! Live with it awhile, and maybe you'll fall in love with it!

Anonymous said...

When I was little my mom had a huge fork and spoon like the ones in your picture hanging on our kitchen wall. I loved seeing them everyday.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

It's funny how those big spoons and forks have made a come back! Great finds Kimba! I like the big picture!

Manuela

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Looks like you found some great buys

seanymph said...

Ok now I feel officially old. Not only did I have a couple of those trivets but I had those big utensils too on my wall in the kitchen. My kids grew up with it and joke about them too. They remember those. They often say they are gonna get some but I got rid of mine ages ago. Havent seen any since. loll What a blast from my past.

Susie Q said...

I love the pictures inside the matching frames...lovely.

Mason jars for decorating and CANNING? Huh, we use them to drink out of!

Shell in your Pocket said...

What fun popcorn bowls!
sandy toe

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Kimba, great stuff, and you know, that big picture is growing on me, too! Linda

Kathi said...

Love your idea for the fish trivets! They will look so cute in your kid's playroom!

Aura said...

I found my giant spoon and fork at a thrift store, I was SO excited. And I love those popcorn bowls! So cute.

Signing Out said...

I love the gigantic fork and spoon! And, like Becky, it reminded me of the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond.

The frames are very pretty. Great finds!

If only it would stop raining here, maybe I could get out to a yard sale or two ... sigh

Jane

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Girl! I have been hunting all over town for the fork and spoon! We had them in the kitchen when I was growing up (in the 70's.) I can't find them anywhere! I keep asking my mother if she absolutely sure that she got rid of them. LOL! LOVE THEM. You found some great stuff!

~Misti

Kammy said...

Love your finds....I just saw a fork and spoon the other day...hmmm. I love to buy frames too and re-do them...trying to get back into my painting and used frames are the best !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Wow! You really scored! I love the fork and spoon. I bet the previous owners didn't know those two little babies are famous all over blog land!
I like the mason jars too. My husband loves to drink sweet tea from them. The bigger, the better!
Blessings,
Traci

Patricia said...

Great finds and even better advice to sellers and buyers!

Suzanne in TX said...

OMG--what great finds! I love those picture frames. I was just reading another blog where they were spray painting plexiglass with chalkboard paint and then framing to make message boards! Just an idea for you and those canning jars:
I have a tutorial on my blog you need to read!
See you later, thanks for sharing!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I have been LOOKING for a fork and spoon set like that at every sale I go to. I just know someday I will find one. :)

A Southern Rose said...

You found some great things and at bargains too! I love going to garage sales. You never know what you might find.

Sarah Robbins said...

I LOVE the giant spoon and fork! I have a set of giant spoons from Pottery Barn and they were NOT $1!!

Rhonda said...

you are so right, if you get all the way to a sale, at least get out and walk through. Sometimes the least likely sales have the best treasures.

and if I had been at that sale when you were there, I might of had to arm wrestle you for that big spoon and fork.

Kate Riley said...

Oh, I love all of those finds, especially the fork and spoon (SQUEAL myself) and those popcorn bowls. Great frames too.

Smiles,
Kate

Unknown said...

Your garage sale prices are so much more reasonable than here in the SF Bay Area. If it isn't broken they always want near retail price for it!

Great finds! Love those gigantic spoon and forks! The pictures are great too! The trivets are fabulous!

Thanks for sharing all your fabulous finds!

Tina

Roeshel said...

I'm so jealous - great finds! :)
I had a yard sale this weekend, so no fun shopping for me so I'll have to live through your finds!

Unknown said...

Kimba,
I swear, I'm moving. There are never great sales like that around here. Or else I'm gonna have to go to more to increase my chances of finding something good! You found some neat things...way to go!

Nancy

Nissa said...

I love that fork & spoon!!! Great finds this week, the trivets are adorable too.

gina said...

I am so jealous! I have been looking for large wooden spoon and fork for years! Awesome finds!

Caroline said...

Are you going to do anything with the fork and spoon?? Great deals...can't wait to see what you do with them!

Martha said...

Great finds! I've been looking for a gigantic fork and spoon and have not been so lucky! I love them!

Mary said...

great finds! :O)

Carrie said...

I have to laugh at the giant fork and spoon. I swear my parents still have their's and they haven't redecorated in 30 years now! I can't believe they're popular again.

I'll take the picture! And the one in the middle frame of your picture of the 3 frames you bought! LOVE that kind of stuff. Seriously...let me know if you don't want them!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Great finds! Loving those popcorn bowls, they were worth it.
~Michelle

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

isn't that fun that those forks and spoons are coming back....I want one, too. :) What a great sale you hit!! I've stopped buying frames until I use the ones I have...UGH. Too many "to do" projects.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

How is it that everyone is finding these cool gigantic implements for cheap-cheap-cheap? Layla at the The Lettered Cottage found hers awhile back and Chris at Just a Girl found some too. Okay, well, I found some too but they weren't nearly as cool or cheap so I'm a bit bitter :). Fabulous finds! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Magic Brush said...

I tOTALLY had that same fork and spoon... also from a garage sale. It sat in my basement for several years as I kept meaning to get to them. Sold them at one of my garage sales a few years back. Bummer dude. Can't wait to see how you use them.

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

Great finds!!

Just so you know, I have very similar popcorn bowls from Crate & Barrel, and they were much more expensive, so 3 bucks was a steal!!

Quiltpiecer said...

Great finds! LOL because the first thing came to my mind when I saw the fork & spoon was the episode from Everybody Loves Raymond! I especially like the trivets and the popcorn bowls! But I do have to agree with Gwen & the others from CA...plenty of yard sales, but items are way overpriced for garage sales. Very discouraging!

abeachcottage said...

Hi Kimba

nice finds, I love finding frames...addictive

happy treasure hunting!

Sarah

Sue said...

ooooh... I love finding frames- you can do so much w/them! And the fork and spoon are to die for.... great finds... Sue

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Amazing finds, Kimba! I love the big fork and spoon. Quick question on the frames, though. I was at Goodwill this weekend and saw some great frames, but they were professionally framed prints and had the brown paper over the back. Consequently, I wasn't sure how to "reframe" a different print. Do any of your frames have the paper on the back? How do you go about reusing those frames?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Thanks for the visit! :) I still have the heebee jeebees from being in that back yard!

Wow, did you score or what?! Can't believe the price on that fork and spoon!!! What will you do with the mason jars?

Janet said...

Amazing finds!

TidyMom said...

You found some GREAT things!!! I have yet to stop at a garage sale this year - I'm just never out of the house that early! - maybe next weekend!

~TidyMom

Anonymous said...

$150.00 for those wooden fork and spoon????thats rediculous,what a steal you got.well, guess it is all wood,hmmmmmmmmm.
and your other finds are awesome.please ck on line for the artist name before you dispose of the painting.we watch antique roadshow and many people have found such at g.sales worth $1000.00's.woudn't that be a scream.
i have 2 from the trash worth $200.00 each and another we paid $8.00 for at a g.sale worth $400.00.you never know what you have.smiles...ann

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

You found some great stuff! I loved the BIG spoon and fork. I’ve been on lookout for some big utensils of these as well. I’ve seen some but they came along with a BIG price too.

Southern Gal said...

My daughter got married last month. We used Mason jars from my mother-in-law to decorate the reception area. We tied white grosgrain ribbon around the neck and placed pink and green votive candles in them. We also made hooks for some and hung them on garden shepherd's hooks around the tent and outdoor area. They were beautiful and everyone commented on them! It cost us the price of the ribbon, candles and wire. I'd love to see some of the ways you'll use the jars to decorate...my mil doesn't want her 75 jars back and I can't bear to throw them out!

Stephanie said...

Love the giant fork & spoon! I saw these at Lettered Cottage a couple of weeks ago, and thought they were so interesting.
I agree about the sales, sometimes after a long, hot morning you want to just drive by real slow and peek to see what they have. But you park the car and get out anyway, cuz you never know what treaures are awaitin!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Great finds & great prices. Can't wait to see what you do with everything.

Sheila said...

Looks like you scored big!
Enjoy!!

Heathahlee said...

That last picture reminds me of one my grandparents had in their bedroom. Makes me wish I had snagged it! : )

Christina said...

What fun! You found some great things and I love how the spoon and fork turned out. Makes me thing of the Barrone family and the big fork and spoon fight.

Paula@SweetPea said...

You found some great things! I know that you'll do something very creative with those jars and also with the frames. I wouldn't have thought of hanging the fish trivits on a wall, but that's a great idea.

Courtney said...

Great finds! I had that very set with the fork and spoon that belonged to my grandparents, and my children broke them. :(

Anonymous said...

Wow, great finds. I never find much good at garage sales, lucky you. I love some of those frames you found.