09 April 2009

Getting to Know You

photo: Pensiero


The past few days, I've been thinking a lot about connections and friendships with other women. As the economic situation in our country (and the world) deteriorates, relationships, connections and support are becoming more important in ways that I had never considered before.

Do you feel like you have enough real-life support and friendship? Does your online life take the place of real-world connections or is it a supplement?

While I may never meet most of you in person, I feel a connection with each of you in some way. I read your comments and emails every day and do my best to visit your blogs (if you have one), even though I don't always do a good job commenting.

But I want to know you better. If you feel comfortable, leave me a comment telling me (and all my readers) something that we wouldn't know about you unless we were in-person friends.

I'll go first:
  1. I worry about my friends and family (and you gals) a lot these days. So many people are losing their jobs and their homes. My family is OK so far, but I still worry.
  2. I pray about #1. My readers are a part of my prayers. I love that I don't even need to know your name to pray for you.
  3. I love Judge Judy. Seriously. She's so sassy.



If you want to read the entire Building a Soft Place to Land Series, click here.

##########



The winner of the Personalized Eco Chic bags from Whitney Caroline Designs is Mom in High Heels! Congratulations! Send me an email and we'll get things set up.

88 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Carrie said...

You're too sweet. Let's see...

It breaks my heart to go to work each day and let my boys go to a sitter. I hate it. But, truly, I have to work right now. And I fear that I'll miss my opportunity.

I hate English peas. Hate them. The smell alone gags me. But Hunter and the kids love them so I cook them.

I sometimes wish I'd never have gone on to get my Masters. I feel like it forces me to work and it really doesn't benefit my job.

I wish I'd have known before how much I wanted to live a simpler life and be more of a homemaker/sustainable living type person. I'd change so many financial decisions that I (and we) made.

I worry too. A lot. Too much. And I pray. A lot. It could never, ever be too much.

Man, I'm a downer today aren't I? Too honest?

M.J. said...

Wow! I was thinking these EXACT thoughts just yesterday and was going to blog about them!

I'm so worried about so many of my friends and financial trouble. Sometimes I acutally feel guilty that my husband has a very secure job with the federal government. I know the Lord would not want me to feel like this. He has blessed us and I should feel worthy of all His blessings.

I love tons of stuff like anyone else, but I often dream about just living a simple life, growing all my own food and being more in control of the outside world that comes into our lives. I get very overwhelmed most days. Going to the grocery store is a major ordeal for me in making all the choices. Although, my husband told me last night that I get a A+++ in caring for our health and what we eat!

Shilo said...

Hey Kimba,
I just want to say how much I appreciate the balance you keep between relationships online/blogging and life beyond that. And isn't it fun when the two worlds collide! :)
Let's see...something about me that you wouldn't know...I've wanted to be a missionary since I was 8 years old, and love doing it, but at the same time I wish I could buy a sweet little house in my hometown and live there for the next 50 years, near my family. I love decorating but I am learning to hold it loosely since we travel and move so often. So I'm learning to do what I can with what I have and the importance of making our house a home NO MATTER how long we'll be there! Beyond that, I love my morning lattes, my Jesus and my boys (big and little)!!

Southern Charm said...

How fun! What a great way to know your readers better. You are so clever. And thank you for your prayers, I pray for my readers too.

Let's see:
After working 50+ hours for 12 years I am finally a stay at home mom and I love love love it.

I never knew what it was like to have a personal relationship with the Lord until I was 30 when He met me in my van. Saved since I was 8.

I love to Zumba!!

I am extremely funny and I can think of a million one liners for just about everything but I have to keep them inside 'cause some people don't appreciate my sarcastic humor. I secretly want to be a stand up comedian. Ha ha, I'm already laughing as I type that.

I don't make friends easily. No idea why.

southerninspiration said...

Kimba, I appreciate this post, too. It really does seem that we have a connection to those we haven't met, but have grown to enjoy and appreciate! I appreciate you for your creativity, and your sense of humor, but mostly for your desire to be the woman God desires for you to be.....I wish you lived next door!!!
Something you don't know about me......I love being a SAHM, and we've talked about me going back to work after my youngest is in college (yep, in a year and a half! I'm OLD...LOL) but I sure don't want to!
I understand your thoughts about friends who are suffering in the hard times, and do feel guilty that we are ok. I have several friends who are very sick and I pray God will heal them.
One more thing....in the last year I have struggled with some non-life threatening health issues and it is frustrating to feel like your own body has turned on you and you don't full control over it. But it makes me be more sympathetic with my friends who have cancer, so I pray for them more. This is getting to be a book, so I'll stop now.

Suzanne

southerninspiration said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Runner Mom said...

Good morning, chickadee! This is a great post, and I've loved the comments that have already been posted.

I believe that we all are concerned about the economy and loved ones who have lost jobs...prayer is the only way to get through this.

I count it a priviledge when someone asks me to pray for them! I love spending time with God and being able to lift up those around me. I also desire to know Him more intimatley.

As I've gotten older, I've become a little more laid back about stuff that I used to worry about.

Things that really get on my last nerve: when my hubby has to travel, when people lie, when I put something in a "safe" place and forget where that place is, and when I need to be in 3 or more places at one time!!

Now, we'll get to the really deep stuff---things I hate: coffee, chocolate,and seafood!! I know that makes me unAmerican!!! But I can't stand the smell or taste of these! Even as a child! Not too many people know that about moi!

Hope that your Easter is filled with the Hope and Peace of Christ!

Hugs,
Susan

Runner Mom said...

Good morning, chickadee! This is a great post, and I've loved the comments that have already been posted.

I believe that we all are concerned about the economy and loved ones who have lost jobs...prayer is the only way to get through this.

I count it a priviledge when someone asks me to pray for them! I love spending time with God and being able to lift up those around me. I also desire to know Him more intimatley.

As I've gotten older, I've become a little more laid back about stuff that I used to worry about.

Things that really get on my last nerve: when my hubby has to travel, when people lie, when I put something in a "safe" place and forget where that place is, and when I need to be in 3 or more places at one time!!

Now, we'll get to the really deep stuff---things I hate: coffee, chocolate,and seafood!! I know that makes me unAmerican!!! But I can't stand the smell or taste of these! Even as a child! Not too many people know that about moi!

Hope that your Easter is filled with the Hope and Peace of Christ!

Hugs,
Susan

Willo said...

I have been thinking about this EXACT thing and think it's great that you are reaching out:

1. I have HUGE feet. I wear size 11.5 men's running shoes.
2. I am afraid of rail road tracks-not trains-just tracks. It's totally irrational.
3. I want to be a bartender but don't know where to start.

Lisa @ Simply Things Family said...

I am new to visiting your site and to blogging. I am at simplythingsfamily.blogspot.com.

I really love my family and can't believe how quickly my children are growing up. I just want them to have good memories and enjoy spending time with us in the future.

I also watch Judge Judy. Some people who go on the show act like they have never seen it before and don't know what to expect.

Lynne said...

Hi Kimba-
I must admit I read your blog daily but I don't comment often. I usually read blogs at night b/c I work. But I do like learning and gaining inspiration from others...even though I don't know them!

I have to agree with C-re - I hate to have to put my son in the hands of someone else each day. I wonder at the end of the day what he really did all day and wish I could be with him. I'm expecting #2 in May and I'll only get to spend 3 months with him before I go back to work. That will be even harder.

Unfortunately with today's economy & job situation I have to work. My DH and I are afraid if I stay home a year w/o a salary...the idea of debt scares us too much. I hate that! We're both teachers and probably won't lose our jobs but the cost of living is so high. Everyone around us is suffering somehow.

OK - too much sadness...
On a good note...
I LOVE organizing & seeing things clean! Yep, it's a sickness...when I'm stressed I'll organize a closet or drawer or something...
Oh, and if I wasn't a teacher I'd love to be a vet...I love animals...A goal for me after the baby is born is to EXERCISE! I want to lose all the baby weight from both kids and be healthy! I can't wait for summer!
Thanks Kimba for your great posts & inspiring words!

Remodeling Guy said...

Leave it to Kimba to come up with a tough question...

I'm probably enough of a big mouth that you can get a great idea of who I am from my blog if you really wanted to...of course that might not be the BEST use of your time!

I don't often talk about my faith, though I try and tie it in when I can. But I'll tell you something about that, since you asked.

I'm a devout Christian who seems to forget the fact regularly! But I'm getting better! I've found that when I do a couple of simple simple simple things, life just turns around dramatically almost immediately.

1. If I read my bible first, before I do anything else (except make coffee), it changes my entire life completley. Changes me completely. Much less irritable, much calmer, much less concerned about the goings-on in the world (in a bad way, more concerned in a good way).
2. If I go for a walk in the morning with Kim, after she gets up and has her slow warm-up, it gets me started off right.

These two simple things make a huge difference, yet the habit has been a hard one to keep. I'm good for four days straight this week, and things are looking good.

Blessings to you and your readers!

I just thought of something else... I really love to pick on my sons. Is that bad?

Tim

bookflutterby said...

Hmm...
I love hair-styling. Especially curls- I think curls are simply gorgeous and THE thing, though straight hair seems to be "in".

I have straight hair. It couldn't get any straighter. I curl it as much as I can.

I cry a lot when anyone dies. Even when it is someone I don't know. Really weird...but death just affects me that way.

That would be all for now.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Funny you mention this...lately with my hubby working out of town I have been reaching out to my online friends now more than ever! It's crazy how we can fall in love with each other's lives and want to be there for people we have not met. Thanks for everyone praying for me and my new venture! Here's more about me:

I am self-proclaimed decorator, now turned Medical Transcriptionist (in the making)

My family likes to mess with my OCD issues, and turn every can in my pantry around... : )

I am totally addicted to Facebook. It stays up all day, while I study!

Thanks Kimba and happy day!
~Misti

Lela said...

I love your blog and I check it everyday, but have never commented before. I am a baby blogger with much to say but little time to say it. Let's see...
I too love Judge Judy, her ability to find the truth amazes me.
I secretly love rap/hiphop and heavy rock. My kids often ask me to turn down the music.
I too worry about the economy, but God often reminds me that as His child that I may walk through fire but I won't get burned!
I love the the "Little Susie Homemaker" life and would love to make everything for ourselves. Thanks for letting us share.

Conny said...

I have read your blog for a long time now - but never comment much - however, since you asked for an introduction:

I am a former military-wife and now a part-time church/school secretary (also working to be a Medical Transcriptionist). My strange fact about me is I LOVE LOVE LOVE to type!!! I also LOVE grammar, writing, reading, editing, and anything to do with WORDS....like BLOGS :)

Melissa said...

Hi Kimba~I loved your thoughts this morning.
*My husband is close to finishing his PhD and we'll be job hunting soon. I'm trying to have the faith that it will all work out, but some days doubt begins to creep in when I see what is going on around us. I pray for more faith.
*I will be so glad when Easter is over and cadbury mini eggs are out of the stores. They are my weakness and not doing anything for the baby weight I'm trying to lose...
*I worry that sometimes when people come over and see my house in dissarray, they're thinking...she has a "home" blog?? That's why I need one of those signs that say~if you want to see me, come by anytime. If you want to see my house, call ahead. :)

TamraGirl said...

Great post.
I do have enough irl friends and support, but its a struggle. So many, especially young moms, struggle with the effort it takes make/keep friends or get at a real, open level of intimacy. I wrote an open letter yesterday. :)

Something you wouldn't know unless we were irl friends? I'm absolutely terrible about remembering dates like birthdays. I even forget my own. And I often either talk way too much or too little, due to nervousness.
(Hi, I'm a mute/jabberbox. Could we just text this conversation?)

Liz said...

Hi Kimba,
I agree, with the economic situation the way it is connections and quality family/friend time has definitely become a priority in our house.

I'm a stay at home mom who is crazy about her kids, but most days misses the social aspect of working outside the house.

I seriously wish I could be the BEST housekeeper this side of the Mississippi, unfortunately I have not found a genie to make this dream a reality.

I love all things photography and scrapbooking and would love an additional 5 hours in the day to do nothing but this.

Thanks for your awesome blog!
Liz

Unknown said...

What interesting comments! It's funny how you can see a little piece of you in so many different people.

As for me...

I have a lot of internal struggles. I have been a stay-at-home-mom for 8 yrs. and adore it but there are lots of times that I crave a career. But I know I would only want that career to last for a couple days and then back to being at home (not much of a career then, eh?).

I grew up in a pretty poor family of 8. I remember spending evenings scrunching up notebook paper so it would be soft enough for toilet paper. Some people are appalled when they hear of my childhood and it always baffles me because I thought I had the BEST childhood in the world! Sometimes I think my kids have it too easy and I wish they could understand what it means to struggle.

I think b/c of the above, my husband (of 8+ yrs.) and I have literally never had a fight about money. It just is not an issue and yet we are extremely financially responsible.

Also, b/c of the way I grew up, I stockpile personal hygiene items. I think I'm so scared of running out of something, like we used to weekly, that I literally keep dozens of everything. My friends tease me that if they need something and don't feel like stopping at the store, they can run back to my linen closet and find whatever they need.

Lori said...

I worry about my family too. I pray for my family but honestly sometime worry takes over instead of remembering to pray FIRST. I just want them to be happy and know a real personal Savior. Not a Savior based on religion but a intimate relationship and grace of our Lord.

I am at a point in my life that I really do not like going to work. Not sure if it's a burnout thing or if I just need a change for awhile. But for now it's not an option.

I got my motorcycle license last summer but am perfectly content to ride on the back of my husband's bike.

I would like to obtain my CDL license. Not because I want to drive the big rigs for a living but just because I want to be able to say I did it.

I am surrounded by great friends and family but really appreciate the blogging friends I've made as well. It seems easier to be mroe transparent with my blogging friends than my friends who are close by. People expect you to be a certain way since you always have been and when you try and go deeper or something changes, they think you've went over the edge in some way.

I absolutely can't stand seafood of any sort, not fresh or salt water. I can't stand the smell of it of the thought of that slippery thing swimming through the water. Now give me a good ol angus steer who stands in his own manure and I"m all over that one!

angie said...

I don't seem to have very many in-person friends these days. And I'm not sure why. I tend to have firm beliefs and don't seem to have much in common with women in my area (NJ).
I love to entertain, but am reluctant to ask people in case they feel obligated. Many accept, but never reciprocate.
Ok, I need to get out of my own way and publicly proclaim God for the giver of all of my blessings.

teachingmum1970 said...

I think this is the first time I've commented but I've enjoyed reading your blog for quite some time. Well done on the modge podge. I'm not even sure what modge podge is or if we have it in Australia but I did a similar activity with my son in his Prep class at school and we used white craft glue thinned out with water and dipped torn pieces of tissue paper into it to to stick onto polystyrene eggs and they look great.
I know I don't have enough real life support because fortunately it is lacking within my own household. So more about me:
I love my job as a teacher but feel totally inadequate as a homemaker which leads to terrible guilt.
I love to cross stitch, knit and crochet.
I need to lose 50kg badly!

Unknown said...

Hi Kimba,
This is a great post!
Somethings you might not know about me:

I'm doing a Beth Moore Bible study on Esther. It is so intriguing and I'm enjoying every minute.

Blogging friends are real, but it takes a while to build an online 'relationship'- especially if are just starting to visit a blog-but I love it when blogging friends 'open' up about their feelings-it makes them seem more 'real'!

I worry too much -about my grown kids and their futures. I know things will work out, but I just can't help it.I try to go back what the Bible says on worry, but often have trouble overcoming it.


And I really don't care for Judge Judy. (or maybe it is her guests on her show) LOL

Hope you have a great day,
Diane

kirwin said...

Okay, here goes:

1. I haven't told any of my real life friends about my blog (or family members for that matter.) Yes, DH knows. It's easier for me to open up to "strangers" online, and feel like I might start to "edit" my words if I knew RL people who were reading it.

2. I long to have at least one good girl friend who I could tell everything to, and not feel like I was going to be judged.

3. I LOVE Real Housewives of NY. I find them terribly fascinating and entertaining.

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't know this, even if we knew each other in person because I don't open up to people. I am very lonely. Don't really have any friends. Days can go by without me talking to anyone other than my dh. I try to reach out to others, but for some reason, my efforts don't get very far. Maybe (like with food) it's in the presentation. I try to cover my loneliness with humor and sarcasm. Upon reflection, that could be where I'm going wrong.

V and Co. said...

well lets see i just did the "7 things" on my blog...but heres a couple:
1.sometimes i hide behind sarcasm and humor when i feel a little on the vulnerable side...hmm i guess that means i feel like that a lot!
2. i have super small feet i can buy my shoes in the little girl section because it's cheaper.
3.i live in a super rural area surrounded by cows and farmlands, which is a huge difference to the los angeles and san diego i grew up in.
4.i'm an only child so i view friends as the sisters i've never had. and sometimes that has backfired on me and has hurt really bad.

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

oh my goodness - you know I LOVE posts like this. BUT since I am supposed to be homeschooling right now and I have taken a really long teacher break, I will come back to read the comments and think a bit more deeply. Something you want to know about me?....Well, you know, my friend, that I just want you to live closer. THAT'S.IT!! :)
Oh, and so we can talk politics, but I'm not supposed to put that out there, am I?

Dawn said...

This is such a sweet post! I'm new to your blog and this was the perfect way to get to know you!

I wish more than anything that I could be a stay at home mom. Even though my kids are 12 and 15, I would love to see them off to school each day and be there when they get home in the afternoon. To welcome them home with freshly made cookies, etc.

Unfortunately it's not possible for me to stay home for financial reasons.

I wish that I had more self confidence. I doubt ever decision that I make! It's irritating!

With hugs!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

How wonderful! I love the thought of getting to know our bloggy friends deeper! Here's a couple of things about me:

I go to a great big church and used to be really involved in the 20s singles group...but I graduated out, not by getting married, but by being too old. Now I avoid the 30s singles groups because it's a SCARY PLACE!

I have a MA and a very intense career, but it doesn't fulfil me anymore. I can't wait to be a wife and a mom!

I'm proud of my little condo but I'm SO envious of my friends' big homes in other states that cost less than my shoebox condo, but I'll never leave sunny CA or my family again!

I wish my brother, SIL, niece, and baby nephew were coming out for the big family Easter Celebration. : (

Hope to meet you in person someday and become real life friends!

Heather's Home (aka Chez Hez) said...

Hi Kimba,

Long time reader, first time replier. :)

I, too, worry about people I know working very hard and just being able to keep things afloat. We, too, are in that boat most days, but I try to look on the sunny side of the road and keep my chin up.

Lessee... a couple things about me.
1. I love LOST.
2. I love the color red and am implementing in my house decorating.
3. I also am a huge purple fan...check out my wardrobe. :P
4. I like jellybeans. :)

Have a great day and thanks for a wonderful post!!!

Tiffany said...

Goodness, there's a lot that people don't know about me, just because I don't like to talk about myself. Here's a few...

1.I often have trouble sleeping. Right now I'm in the middle of a week-long zombie state because I can't sleep. It will pass, as it always does, but it doesn't make life any easier.

2.I almost never cry. Things have to be really, really bad for me to cry. I'm just not an emotional person. However, if you get me talking about foster kids/orphans or abused animals, I can cry like a baby.

Southern Gal said...

Hi.

1. I've been a SAHM since our oldest(who is 20, a nursing student, and getting married next month) was 18 months old. We struggled with infertility, but now we have three children. (In addition to the daughter, we have two sons 17 and 7.) I've homeschooled them all except the middle one who went to public school for his senior year this year.

2. My husband is concerned about his job since he's in the paper industry. I try to be frugal so he can rest easier.

3. I have only recently shared my blog with other bloggers and a few family members. It's mainly to update family about our family. No real purpose like most blogs nowadays.

TidyMom said...

Awwe Kimba your so sweet. Your the girl that I wish lived next door!

Somethings about me?....I've just become a SAHM (even though I only have one of my 2 girls still at home and she's almost 13) For 8 years I worked in my family business with my parents and brother- we built custom country furniture and sold it in our country home decor store - we just closed our doors last July(after 15 yrs. in business) - you can still see my business blog www.thecountryjunction.blogspot.com

I miss the shop, but most of all I miss my Dad and working with him - he passed away of lung cancer 5 years ago.

So now I'm enjoying time at home, focusing on redecorating my home, I have time to run car pool, basketball practices and games, cook/bake more.....so I feel blessed to be able to be home right now.

Thanks for your prayers Kimba, I too pray for all of the wonderful friends I have made online!

~TidyMom

Southern Fried Gal said...

What a fun way to get to know each other a little better. I have read all the comments up until here and my heart pours out for those that long to stay at home.

I wanted to stay home when BBC was first born but didn't. When he was two I was forced to make that decision and I'm so thankful that we took that leap of faith.

I am living proof that anything is possible. It has been a journey but it can be done. There have been sacrifices along the way. There have been poor financial decisions that I wish we could take back. There has been a LOT of prayer and blind faith. There have been blessings (like my fabulous Southern Living at HOME business), too!

I am going to pray for those that desire to do this. I am going to encourage them to bathe it in prayer themselves and allow God to show them a way if it is possible!

OK - one thing about me. I love to sing. Unfortunately I was not blessed with that talent. It doesn't stop me, though!

Have a fabulous day!

Kristin said...

What a great post! After college I married my high school sweetheart and we moved back to the town we grew up in. Most everyone else moved away and so we are living in a town and working in a town where everyone is pretty much a generation older than us. Unfortunately that means we do not have a lot of friends, but we do have a lot of support, because both of our families live in the same town as us.

As for me I work full-time as a purchasing agent at the local hospital, I like my job but wish we could afford to allow me to stay home with my 2 year old son. I am also persuing a career in the ministry, and right now am on my way to becoming a local licensed minister, God willing!

I always read your blog but don't comment that often, but you should know that I love every post!

Gypsy aka Tam said...

Kimba,
I love this post.

Yes, the economy is bad and it's horrible to lose your job or worry about that possibility all the time. I'm there...
But regardless, I'm thrilled to be living the American dream. Something you don't know about me is that I left home at 14, immigrated to the states at 22 leaving my oldest son behind with his father, lived on the streets with a one year old for a period of time and at that time would have never imagined that at 40-something I'd be owning a beautiful family home and having both of my boys with me.
Yes, worldwide times are tougher right now but if it forces me to get back to basics, to what is truely important, it really is not a bad thing.
Having hit rock bottom many years ago my motto back then was 'The only way is up' and when you face the worst, draw your energy from the future possibilities not from what you've lost.
I'm not sure I'm expressing myself properly and I hope I did not offend anyone.
Tam

Pretty Organizer said...

Me? A spill all for blogland?

I love chocolate... so much so that my sister and I saw all of NYC last summer by way of every chocolate boutique in NYC. By far the most funny and memorable trip I've taken.

The Lord knew I could handle 5 kids with style and class so he gave me 6.

Music inspires my soul, enriches all my experiences, comforts my heart, and often brings me to tears.

My children are my life's work. Nothing I could be doing otherwise would be more satisfying.

I've never liked Watermelon.

I sang the National Anthem in Qualcom Stadium in San Diego.

Unknown said...

I am an optimist no matter what. I may get down when bad things or things out of my control happen. But I try really hard to find the good in all things.
My son had a child a little over a year ago with his ex-girlfriend and my 19 year old daughter is now pregnant for her boyfriend. We try to teach our kids right from wrong, give them all the facts, tell them about consequences and live as an example, but sometimes it still does not work out the way we would hope. But out of these situations, I have a beautiful granddaughter and another granddaughter on the way. My daughter and I are now close after years of not understanding each other.

I hope you too can look past all the stuff to the silver lining in all situations.

Some seem desperate and hopeless but there is always meaning in each.

Victoria Hayden said...

Kimba, What a great post! I agree that it feels through blogging we get to make special connectons with others and I see it as another great support in my life!

Here are some things about me:

I never thought I would be blogging. I realized the importance of it when I decided to start my business. I now feel it is an important part of my life. More than I would like to admit,comments and followers mean alot to me. It makes me feel happy and accepted.

I only function well in order and when my house is clean. As of the last several months, I am struggling to find this balance and do all the other roles I am. I never give up, so I just keep praying and trying.

I am a very detailed person. I think the extra details on things make things feel complete and special.

I love to give to others. I sometimes get hurt, because I will put many others before me and then feel taken advantage of. Still learning to give freely and expect nothing in return.

On a lighter note, my least favorite foods: Canned peas, lima beans, baby corn. I pretty much like most foods and love trying new things.

Have a great day!

Hugs to you,
~Victoria~

Kim said...

Kimba - I love this post. And I've loved reading and getting to know your followers through their comments. There are some wonderful people out there in blogland, and I do consider many of them good friends even though I've never actually seen them in person. A strange phenomenon that internet!

I am very outgoing, but painfully shy.

I obsess over my weight - and have dealt with the psychological affects of anorexia for all of my adult life.

I'm terrified of spiders.

I think chocolate is the answer to everything.

I know without a doubt that God is in control 100% of the time, but I still worry about things......why?

Careerwise, I am capable of being good at so many things, but I don't have the confidence to try.
~Kim

Rachel Lundy said...

My Three Things:

I played Maria in The Sound of Music in 2002. I had never done theater before and was terrified, but it was so much fun! I can't do theater anymore because I'm now disabled and often in a wheelchair. I'm so glad I took the opportunity to be Maria while I had it!

I wish I could go skydiving. It's on my list of things to do when I get to heaven and have a body that works again. :)

I miss a cold, dark 50 below winter day in Alaska. Alaska is home to me in a way no other place ever has been.

Decor To Adore said...

My life is crazy busy.. family, work, church, 2 college classes, cub scout leader, etc. But at least once a month I meet a friend for a few hours. Yesterday was Karen. We had to reschedule 3 times, but we finally got together. The time spent together was so precious.

Let's see, intermost thought: Tomorrow I will really be putting my faith first and foremost on the ole blog. Laying me heart completely open to the readers. I am a bit scared, because when you open yourself up there is the possibility of rejection. I'm ok with that. The message is more important than my feelings.

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

You are so kind to ask and I love that you pray for your readers. I often find myself praying for bloggers and the situations they are in also.

Blogging has helped me work through my grief process of losing my girls.

I've discovered I don't have that much to say on my blog anymore and that's fine with me because there are so many wonderful women saying and doing important things on their blogs.

I moved away from my hometown over 15 years ago and still get homesick on occasion.

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

Hey, Kimba ,, i love your blog..
lets see, something about me..
I'm worried about my mom - the doctors found a spot on her lung yesterday that they are concerned about..

My girls moved out 2 months ago and it bothered me more than i thought it would and more than i let on that it did,,But I am very proud of them they are doing great on their own.. They are my life!

I'm very self-conscious about my appearance because of some dental work that i need to have done. (no sugar in that one).

.. enough for today,, thanks for the post and for sharing with us!!

Have a great day and a wonderful Easter!

Debbie

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

Oh so many great comments. I've been reading them for ages now - what a great project, Kimba.

I always feel a little weird. The blogs I most follow are by moms and stay-at-home moms, and I am not a mom yet for several years. I just can't relate to the ideals of most bloggers my age. My husband can't either.

So even though the mom conversations don't mean a lot to me other than appreciating my mom more and more, you all provide so many other wonderful blessings and thoughts for me to ponder and develop from. For that, I'm thankful.
Katie

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

You are so sweet, and I love that you blog about things that matter.

About me:
- I'm a single mom of a teenage son. I wish I could stay home, but that's not an option for me, so instead I'm grateful for the job I have and the life it provides us...especially in this economy.

- I write in my journal every morning. There's something therapeutic about it. Like mental and emotional dusting.

- I record General Hospital everyday and watch it in the evenings or on the weekends...yep, I watch a soap opera.

Heart2Heart said...

I have to admit I felt a true connection with your blog this morning. I personally feel too many people watch things happen to others around them and do nothing to help. I am not sure why, maybe, they feel it's not their place or the party would feel offended. I personally would reach out and help or at least offer. I have to feel like my life means something in the time remaining. I want to get to heaven and feel like I contributed in some small way to someone's day!

I seek out opportunities to do random acts of kindness everyday and have a goal in mind. It could be a simple as shoveling a neighbors driveway when it's full of snow, or taking in the trash can while you're bringing in your own.

I am off to buy some baked goods to drop off at the local firehouse, so small way to make people feel appreciated for the things we take for granted everyday.

Thanks for making me feel great inspite of the economy. It's something I wish I could do something about.

Love Kat

Kimba said...

You are all blessing my socks right off today! Thank you for sharing a little bit of yourselves.

You rock!
Kimba

Ginger said...

I have been laid off from my last three jobs before finding my current one, and I am grateful for it every single day.
I went through a long period where I didn't have any close friends, and them about seven years ago I started a huge circle of friends that I feel blessed to know. I hope to add to that witgh me new friends across tghe blogosphere now that I'm blogging;)
My best friend is a gay man, so I guess I don't usually get the "girlfriend" experience!

Carol Kennon said...

I read your blog almost daily, but seldom comment.
Now, some things about me you wouldn't know...
1)I love to go places, I just have high anxiety about leaving home. Once I am on the road for 30 minutes, it's gone and I have a great time. It's just the getting started and leaving part.

2)I love Michael Buble. Could listent o him all day, but the husband is not a fan.

3)I am deeply involved in my church and many activities and organizations there. I am the Sunday School Director and love my job! If something is happening at church we are there...whether it's leading or supporting other leaders. I love being around my church family. They really are some of my best friends and many of them have become so close they are just another part of our family.

Kristen, pajama mama said...

okay...i eat the same thing everyday, almost, anyway...pretty sure I wouldn't ever post that.

glad we're "friends," I like our little (relatively) community, too.

-kristen

Heidi said...

Oh boy, sifting down (down and down) through these comments, I see you have your work cut out for you! There is nothing my blog friends don't know about me. I spill it all. Newbies to my blogs might not know certain things but it's all there if they read the archives. And (some) of them still love me! It's fantastic!

Kelli said...

Sweet idea!!
I am one of 8 children, 7 of whom are adopted, including me!!
I love chocolate!!!!
Honored to be a wife and mother.
I love the life of simplicity.
Most of all I love God who saved me in spite of me!!

Heathahlee said...

Hmmm, what to limit it to...

1. Yesterday Sound Man and I celebrated our 14th anniversary. I love him more today than I thought possible the day I married him. Other than Jesus, he is my life.

2. I am a voracious reader. Mostly Christian fiction, but I also read some good Christian living books, too. My favorite one is TrueFaced. I think every Christian should read it!

3. I sleep way too late. I guess it's because I stay up way too late. Mostly because of #2 up there. : )

4. I worry about my mother having cancer. She is in a lot of pain right now and I just don't know what to do about it. Is there anything I CAN do? I don't know. So, I worry. And pray. Which should cancel out the worry, but I pick it up way too easily.

5. I often wonder why God didn't bless me with more than one child. I wonder if it was because He knew I couldn't handle more than one! I say that jokingly, but it's a real question of mine!

Okay, I think that's enough. For now. : )

Anonymous said...

Kimba,

You're such a blessing, lady. :o) I love your blog and don't always get a chance to comment with a nursing babe in my arms, but reading your heart and being able to partake in all of your lovely ideas is a blessing and a half!

Hmmmm, a little known fact...

Well, I'm addicted to iced coffees. WAIT! That's a widely known fact by my blog readers, so I'll try to do better.

I once had pads that I stuffed in my bra fall out when I was a softball pitcher in high school. They fell out right on the mound after I released the ball. One of my loyal teammates went out and retrieved them. My dad was one of the coaches. I actually wasn't mortified. Prom was in a few days and I was miffed that I'd have to wash those stinkin' pads, LOL! Ahhhh, my teenage self!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Ohh, fun! I'm SO incredibly lucky that most of my lifelong girlfriends live within five miles of me. I am SO BLESSED to have them so close. And I am so fortunate for my "blog" friends too.
Well...hmmmm...things about me...I love being a Momma like I never thought I possibly would. There was even a day long ago that I thought for a brief while I might be OK NOT having a child. I was so wrong. It is the greatest blessing in my life, I love being with my child, love being his Mommy.

Here's a funny/juicy one -- my husband was my band director (I was in the guard) when I was in high school. He became a close family friend and then later on (AFTER HIGH SCHOOL!!) we got close.

Because of him I truly believe that we really do have one soul mate in the world, and few of us are lucky enough to find them. I found mine. :)

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

And I love Judge Judy too!!! She rocks.

Anonymous said...

I became "acquainted" with you (through your blog)last summer while I wasn't working. I resigned from my job, not realizing the economy would tank and it would be tough to find another one! I really appreciate the way that you share on your blog. I'd like you to know that even though it's been financially tougher, I feel like my husband and I are closer than ever. I have more energy and interest in pleasing him now that I am working mostly part-time. I love cooking and baking and I love to quilt and sew, for fun. Thanks!
Julie
mobound2@aol.com

Julianna Farmer said...

I hunt deer, turkey, hogs, and dove when they're in season.

Pam said...

First, let me just say that I love this new direction your blog has taken lately. But I still want to see your decor projects, blah, blah, blah.

OK. Let's see...I've always sort of felt that I was born in the wrong era. My dream of what I wanted to be when I grew up was always "wife and SAHM". I'm living my dream. I love to cook. Am learning to sew. Am learning to garden and can. I love the satisfaction that I get from doing things myself. This has also caused me to feel somewhat isolated and misunderstood a lot in my life.

I homeschool my son. I am going through a period of struggling with this. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing a good job. I also am struggling with time management and keeping my daily chores done well and projects accomplished while trying to stay on top of school. It can be overwhelming at times.

I am married to the absolute love of my life and thank God for him daily. We have a very happy homelife and I wish there were a lot more men in the world like him.

I am learning to completely trust God. It is a process that has taken me my whole life to get here. But I'm truly learning what it means to rest in him. It's a great place to be.

Well, that's probably enough for now.

Thanks for doing this. You're an inspiration to me.

XO, Pam

Suasn said...

Kimba

Well, what you wouldn't know about me is that I'm a Pastor's wife. That said, I have lots of real-life friends.....from church. Blogging world is a supplement for my real life but I get reeled in and sometimes forget the precious people outside my doorstep.

Funny that you start this conversation because my husband and I were talking today about being intentional with those around us. Like planning meals with friends and neighbors, play dates, etc.

It's tough times like we're in now that helps me refocus on what is important in my life. Thanks for confirming what God was already saying to me today. And thanks for praying for me!

And another thing, we need to have a fun northern girl bloggy get-together! I'm tired of the southern bloggers having all the fun! :)

Nikki said...

I hate to shave. Hate it.

Sole said...

Hi Kimba,I love your blog! I've never left a comment here before but I thought now would be a good time de-lurk!

I'm a stay ay home mommy and feel so blessed that I can spend this time with my babies...

I dont watch the news or television at all. Instead I like to spend my free time reading, facebooking or blogging!

I'm a coffeeholic and buy at starbucks waaaaay too much!

I'm afraid to get in the ocean...if I cant see my feet or what is swimming around me I cant get in!

I'm very indecisive about everything especially shopping..I need a second opinion and if I don't have one I'll usually just put things back after thinking about it for 20 minutes and usually get upset with myself for not buying it and end up going back to get it anyway!


Sole
http://sunshinenest.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hmmm...
I wish every day that I could be a stay at home Mom, (and blogger, of course). But I need to work, so off I go. I wish I had more time to cook, I love it, but usually run out of time or energy or both.
Very few of my real-life friends and non of my family even know about my blog, for some reason I feel funny about that.
Am I weird? :)
Thanks Kimba for starting this conversation.

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

Thanks so much for asking and sharing, my friend . . .

1) I love fresh raspberries. I can eat a pound of them in one sitting.

2) I got married after only knowing my husband 3 months and we have been happily married for 8 years in July.

3) I suffer from social anxiety and I've made a lot of progress overcoming it in the last year but I have a long way to go.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Kimba --

What a wonderful post and topic!

I love reading your blog because I feel you truly care about people.

I started blogging because my sister nagged me into doing it. I really didn't think I would like it or even stay with it. But I have grown to love it so much and I have met so many wonderful people. I truly think of my blogging friends as my real life friends and they mean as much to me as my real friends do. Blogging picks me up when I am havnig a bad day. There is always a nice comment or a word of encouragement.

Some things about myself that I wish I could change. There are so many! I wish I were more outgoing. I have social anxiety so it is hard for me to open up to people in real life. Maybe that's why blogging is so wonderful for me.

Thanks for always lifting my spirits!

XOXO
Jen

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I love your blog, and thank you for this very cool post, and a good representation of balance.

I get to be a SAHM, something I cherish (even when I complain) and appreciate even more after having read so many comments from women who can't do it right now.

I having been blogging in my own little world with my little handful of faithful readers.
I discovered Thrifty Decor Chick a few weeks ago and now I feel like I've been trying to light a campfire with a piece of flint and someone just said "duh!" and gave me a blow torch.
It never occurred to me there was an entire community out there.

I feel like I can balance all aspects of my personality here: mom, wife, sister, friend, cook, crafter, smart ass, and woman with a brain in her head. Off the blog, I have to be different things for different people (according to what they need) and on the blogs I can be all those things at once. (for me.)

I have lots of really good friends. My husband jokes I've never lost a friend. (Because I don't let them leave...? I hope they don't feel trapped.) :-) But I feel I have a great balance between the real-world and online relationships.

I am grateful for the women here who are encouraging me and making me feel welcome in this community.

As for 3 things my readers may not know about me?

1. I hate asparagus and the smell of it is enough to make me start gagging like a cat with a hairball.

2. I don't believe that blood is thicker than water.

3. I have trouble sleeping on occasion, but can NEVER sleep without some sort of white noise, like a fan or something.

The Dearborns said...

Kimba,

Let me first say, even though I don't comment too much, I love reading your blog, and usually walk away inspired and uplifted! Thank you. :)

Some things generally not known about me....
1. I am a magazine/catalogue fanatic; I rip or cut out anything I like and have a jumbo notebook full of clippings

2. I am a control freak; I have the hardest time relying on other people for anything.

3. I am jealous that my daughter looks exactly like my husband and nothing like me.

And my blog is private, so you really don't know the main things about me either. ;) Oh well...

pcb said...

I adore plundering through junk stores and even stores like TJ Maxx...searching for the treasure that I just KNOW is there. However, I will not buy just to be buying. It has to be a true treasure and something I can really use.

I especially adore family treasures and always think about the person who has used the items before me; makes me feel connected.

I'm an Army Brat. Moving to a new state every summer during high school probably shaped me more than I realize even now. All told...eight school systems in twelve years.

I love my family and friends but I'm more than okay with spending days at a time by myself.

I have my camera with me at all times and have been known to take pictures of complete strangers (emphasis on strange).

I have just begun sponsoring a child through Compassion and I am already so blessed from the experience.

Geez...you've opened the floodgates here...but I'll stop!

Windy said...

Thanks for the prayers:) We all need all the prayers we can get!

3 things about me: I love to bake and cook! I love being a SAHM and hope I don't ever have to work a "real" job again. And....I would love to get in an RV and just travel...

Andrea said...

Howdy!
Really enjoy your blog:-) Thanks for letting us "land" here among friends.

1. I freak out about eating proteins at other people's houses unless I can watch them cook it.

2. I went to Texas A&M but don't really know all the yells. (Shhhh! Nobody tell...they might take my degree away from me)

3. I'm scared to pray out loud because my 6th grade SS teacher made fun of my prayer one time. I. Will. Never.Pray.Out.Loud.Again.

Love,
Snow White

I am Mom said...

These comments were fun to read (as if I needed another reason to like remodeling guy)

1 - I have a love/hate relationship with homeschooling

2- I drink diet coke and coffee all day and then feel bad at night when I remember I have had no water whatsoever

3 - Every morning I read in order my bible, drudge report, your blog :)

happy easter day!

Kristen said...

What a great post Kimba!'

Things you should know about me for our "in real life" friendship :)

1. I will make up a random “special occasion” as an excuse to buy shoes. But flip flops will always be my first choice to wear!

2.My dad and I both cannot stand it if a straw is too tall for a glass. I thought I was alone in this till 2 years ago when we discovered we had this in common. It’s a glass/straw ratio thing. Weird I know.

3.Children's music bothers me. I'm trying to like it in the car now that I heard that Graham can sing "Single Ladies" and "Circus."

4.I never leave the house without make-up. Ok, I guess I have but never ever without lip gloss or mascara - EVER. If you see me without it know that something is terribly wrong.

5. I love iced mochas!

As far as the IRL support - I feel like I have a ton of acquaintances through church that I guess you could call friends, but sometimes in all of that I feel like I really only have one or two "true friends." I'm not sure why that is.

Kelly said...

Hi Kimba--

Thanks for doing this! :o) It's truly neat to see what others have written.

I used to have a blog of my own but took it down. I could not handle the fact that other bloggers do a better job of something than I can, etc. It kinda took a toll on me and I closed it down. I will admit this: I do miss blogging at times.

Although my husband's working hours has been cut back he still feels blessed that he still has a job. He is very aware that people are losing theirs.

Things about me:

-- I HATE mopping the floor with passion, I will put it off as long as I can or til the floor is really dirty!

-- I love to travel and look forward to the day when we can do that again... when the $$ permits.

-- I have no fear of trying a new craft at hand.... if I find that I don't like it, I just move on to try other crafts.

-- I am so lonely that it's not even funny anymore. I do not remember the last time I had a lunch with someone or just to sit and chat with a person besides my husband. I don't even have a best friend, let alone have a few friends around here. It really bothers me a great deal. I did tried to reach out to make friends and I find that they only want something from me... I kinda stop reaching out for now.

Thanks for the post, I feel better getting those off of my chest.

You are, indeed, blessed beyound your measure! :)

Kelly --
AKA: BlissfullyDeaf

Audra, Green Meadow Lane said...

Three things most people don't know about me.... hmmm....

Well, I'm a twin which has been fun my 41 years here on earth.

I look 10 years younger than I really am. To some this may sound wonderful but it's also been a hardship.

I lived in a haunted house. This was an amazing adventure! I kind of miss all of the action in my new home.

I worry to much about the economy and families suffering as a result.

I am more religious than most people think.

Blessings & Hugs,
Audra

Paula G said...

Want to comment on Lisa's beautiful insight. One piece of the path of becoming more comfortable in your own skin lies in connecting with that power greater than oneself (God, Spirit, Buddha, Source, Universe, whatever language speaks to you). It's when we try to control it all or think we can be certain of an outcome that we get into trouble and ironically while we say it makes us feel more comfortable, in fact it does just the opposite (breeds anxiety).

Warmly,
-Paula G
Comfortable in Your Own Skin Coach

thebarrenwomb said...

Kimba,
I Love your blog. Heare aare my 3 things
1. I love having friends, real and blog, and feel blessed to have plenty of both.
2. I love my husband. We have been married almost 9 years and have been unsuccessfully trying to have children.
3. I am a teacher in a Christian School for which I am very thankful , but my real goal is to ba a SAHM one day.

patty said...

i love this idea and might have to blogswipe it at a later date! ;)

1. 40's are great, but i still wish i was just 20 something.
2. i don't like being a superhero who fights laundry 24/7.
3. beyond all else, i know my heart and i know i love my family.

nice to get to know ya!

THE BROWN BOYS said...

Hi Kimba!

I'm an artist and a stay at home mom. I have 3 boys - 9,5,and 20 months. They are full of fun and energy. I will never understand their fascination with bathroom humor. It drives me crazy.

I love to read books, blog, and facebook. I have 3 sisters and a mom who contribute to our blog - http://thingswithwingartjournal.blogspot.com

I love to scrounge second hand stores for treasures to use in my mixed media art. I also find a lot of my kids' clothes there.

I am dreading this summer and having to keep the boys busy all summer. Now that my 20 month has gotten a taste of the great outdoors, he's already obsessed. and of course I can't shoo him out the door on his own. It's going to be a LONG summer. I feel like my art will have to go by the wayside for awhile and just the thought makes me cranky.
So yeah, I probably need an attitude adjustment!

Suki said...

1. I'm dreaming of having some children quite soon (well, after I finished my studies, which will be ending in 2 years and 6 months).
2. I want to be a photographer and I'm obsessed with photography.
3. I'm laughing a lot and always making fun of myself :)

Anonymous said...

I have a relatively well known blog. I would never put my picture on there. In real life I weigh 300 lbs, have bipolar disorder and am often lonely. My blog is my outlet for normalacy.

Alyssa Rose said...

What a neat blog post! I am a fairly new visitor and have been blessed by your blog.

I am just entering my mid-20's and am pretty much new to the blogging world but am enjoying learning all it has to offer.

I love my job, cleaning houses with all natural products and working among Christians.

When life gets me down, I like seeking out the little blessings God gives us every day. They always surprise me and I find peace in knowing they came from my loving Savior. <3

That is all for now. It has been fun getting to know you as well. God bless.

Oh, one more thing, I am not a good speller but my friends like to read what I have to say! God bless them!

In His hands,
Alyssa

Anonymous said...

I'm late, but it sure was fun reading the comments from other bloggers.

Here's a little about me:
-I have a degree in Elementary Education but feel blessed that I have been able to be a SAHM to my four boys.
-I adore my four boys, but our house needs a little more pink. We are trying to adopt a baby girl.
-I am a devout Christian (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). My faith is the most important thing in my life.
-Blogging has changed who I am. A year ago I was afraid to make any decisions about home decorating. Now I am refinishing furniture and spray painting everything that sits still long enough.
-I have four blogs. I know, I'm insane.

Hope you have a fabulous Easter weekend!

Unknown said...

Thanks for asking :)

I am really self-conscious about my body image - I know I should love what the Lord gave me, and look after it well too (!) and I worry I will pass this on to my kids.

Gayla said...

Dear Kimba,

I linked to your blog from another blog because I was taken w/ the name: A Soft Place to Land. This is what I hope, pray and long for our home to be. Then I saw your Resurrection Day post: He is risen! My heart leapt and I was encouraged all over again, even tho the last three days have been filled w/ meaningful worship, prayer and fellowship--and believer's baptism!

He is risen indeed!

Gayla from So Cal

Stephanie said...

I just rediscovered your blog through another blog.

I am really particular about things being in their place and being organized.

I make a ton of lists.

I love cooking with my husband in the evenings.

Jess @ Just a Blink said...

Thanks for wanting to know "us" better.

Here are a couple tid-bits about me right now.

- I am pregnant with twins.
- I love the show Chuck.
- My favorite ice cream is Peppermint Bon Bon
- I am not a dog person.
- I am working on step 3 of Dave Ramsey's baby steps and I am concerned that the twins coming will bring us back to step 2 again

Thanks for the prayers. Peace.