27 January 2009

The Painted Kitchen Table

Some of you asked to see pictures of my kitchen table and chairs when I showed you the bench that I rehabbed for the kitchen. So here you go...



In it's younger days, it was the typical yellow pine, butcher block kitchen table. Very sturdy and practical but not my style anymore. I don't have a before picture but it was just like this one. This was all done BB (Before Blogging) when I didn't occur to me to document everything I do in photos.



I painted the table and chairs nearly six years ago...before I developed a deep and abiding love for spray paint. (Hard to believe, I know) I actually painted this with a gallon of satin black paint and a brush. Shocking, no? Then I added a few coats of satin polyurethane for durability. It took FOREVER to paint all of those legs and spindles with a brush. FOREVER!



It's worn remarkably well over the years. Some people have furniture that's been distressed by design. Mine has been distressed by life (mainly two little boys) but I still like it.



If I had it to do again, I would probably use an oil-based paint in my new power sprayer. Oil-based paint gives you a tougher finish for things that get heavy use like the top of kitchen table.



I've been toying with the idea of changing it up again. Maybe stripping all of the paint off the table top and staining it the color of my cabinets. What do you think? Any ideas?

post signature

90 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

I have that exact same table except mine has a bench instead of chairs on one side. Mine is also painted black with latex paint.

I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Do it Kimba.

With my honey oak table (single substantial pedistal and oval with leaves, round without) , I simply replaced the oaky chairs with higher bow back distessed black ones.

I ADORE the two tone look! It lightens the space and ties everything in so nicely.

You will LOVE the look!

Donna

Shell in your Pocket said...

Go for it!
-sandy toe

Sara F. said...

I'm getting ready to paint my table black very soon. I'm glad to hear that it can be done successfully!

Anonymous said...

Now you have to show us your kitchen cabinets again. I love the look of the black gloss. My table is dark cherry and I have been playing with the idea of painting it black. Not sure Im up for all of the painting right now... gone and gotten lazy!!!

mommy4life said...

Hmm My table may need a makeover.... Disregard hubby if he comes here to complain later.....

Runner Mom said...

If you don't like it, you can always paint it again! I tried some polyacrylic on my newly painted bathroom cabinet doors. It wasn't as smelly as the polyurethane...have you ever used it? I am wondering because I have a HUGE container of it and would love to use it on my wooden paintings...not sure if it will yellow or not. Any thoughts??
Hugs,
susan

PS-I wore my darling new felt pin to Bible Study last night, and everybody loved it! I told them where I got it too!!

Valarie Lea said...

I love the way it looks, but I know whatever you do is going to be great!

These Are The Days said...

Love it, I would leave it but if you do decide to use oil base paint, do it outside and be ready to wait 2-3 days between coats. Yip, it takes FOREVER to dry and if you do a second coat too soon, it stays sticky FOREVER. I had a book case that I painted too soon and the books always stuck to it, even 4 years later. It was such a pain. Once you use oil paint, you'll always have to use oil paint on it. If you go from a water base paint you can go to oil, just not the other way around. Sorry probably TMI but I had to learn the hard way. :)

riversidescholars.blogspot.com

cottagejoy_com said...

Wow. Impressive. Didn't it take you forever to sand the whole thing before taking forever to paint??? I've been contemplating the same thing, but the sanding....the painting....sigh. My hubby has a big compressor in the garage. I need a sand blastor!!!!

Karen
PS I have the big single pedistal type table and everyone puts their feet on the legs. Will that take the paint off and ruin my hard work? Anyone?

Victoria said...

Oh wow, the table and chairs look great!

Steph said...

I think it's really pretty black, but it would be great stained too.

Anonymous said...

I've had a glass top table since 1998.. HATE IT! Trying to talk Hubby into a new wood table, but I like painted tables and he likes a natural wood color... I'll let you know how this one turns out...lol

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Your table looks great to me!

Taya @ Delightful! said...

Very nice! I love the black. We have a similar table and chair set that I would like to refinish one of these days. The previous owners thought they would start to refinish it, but never did. Sheesh!

Autumn said...

looks great! esp with the new little bench :o)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, I get tired just thinking about how much work it is to paint a table and chairs like that! I'm so impatient with the process. If I had a helper to do it for me I'd be a happy girl.

Your table and chairs look great. And you are thinking of redoing them? Did I read that right? You are very ambitious, girl. :-)

Love your bench, too! xo

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful table and chair set! It looks like ours which we bought to look that way. I'm willing to bet that you saved a lot of money doing it your way though. I'll have to keep that in mind next time!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE IT! Any ideas or tips on HOW to paint a cherry wardrobe? We have a beautiful cherry wardrobe with mirrors on it in our daughter's room. All her furniture is white except for this wonderful wardrobe. We would like to paint it white but have no idea how to do it (i.e. as far as stripping the cherry color, repainting, prime, etc.).

pcb said...

Oh, yeah, we are SO on the same wavelength! I, too, have a deep and abiding love of spray paint and I covet your sprayer! Last year I asked for, and received, my own personal scaffolding for a Valentine (it's pictured in some of my recent posts since I've been painting our home office). Maybe this year a sprayer....

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

It still looks great. I don't know if I'd change it! I can't remember the color of the cabinets.

Either way...you are ambitious!

I love the little chair too. My family had one growing up and it's still around (with some crazy repairs made by my dad).

Anonymous said...

My black table is pretty, but shows too much dust and fuzz! We wipe it down constantly. I am tempted to paint the top of mine cream with a bit of black showing through and antique over the cream. The oil based paint is a bear to work with! Anyone out there considering painting the table, just use latex and mounds of polyurethane!

Your kitchen looks great, my boys would love the stools at the island. My island is just too small for chairs, I'm a little jealous...

Anonymous said...

I've added you to my favorites. I have only been blogging for a few days. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

I too have a dining table which started as a treasure, then I trashed. Now I'm in the process of making it a treasure again.

Christi said...

I love the look of stained top with painted apron & legs - I think you should do it!

And, I'm on the lookout for a bench. Totally gonna do that as soon as I find one.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I have that same table! Only mine doesn't look great like yours. Apparently my kids not only "distress", then "destroy." We only have 2 of the matching chairs left. I think it would look beautiful two-toned, but it looks great black too.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

i have that exact same table with a bench and i have been dying to paint it...but didn't know how. did you sand yours first, then paint??

Unknown said...

I have a very similar kitchen table and chairs and I painted mine red. Hand painted, like you. And yes, the spindles took forever! I love your black table.

Sheryl

3LittleByrds said...

Love the table. Mine is two toned. Black and dark wood even the seats with a bench that has a back to it. They are black except the seat part is the wood and I love it.

Tote, Debby, Sammy and Caleb Jimenez said...

I'm totally inspired! I have chairs in the garage like the one at the end of your table and I really didn't like them. I was planning on trashing them, but seeing them black I love it! At the same time I've been thinking about finding a nice chair to go with the pretty little desk I just found on the trash (so exciting!!) That will save me money and save at least 1 little chair's life! Thanks!!!!

Ang said...

I absolutely love it! I wouldnt change it!

Ang said...

I absolutely love it! I wouldnt change it!

Ang said...

I absolutely love it! I wouldnt change it!

LuLu said...

I love it just the way it is!
LuLu

sarah may said...

I think I have the same table that I hate! It was free so I can't complain too much but am totally painting it now and staining the top to match my island. Thanks for the great ideas!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

My kitchen table & chairs & stools are black, but the table top and seats are the same wood color as my cabinets! I love this look!! And my mom's new kitchen table has an iron/metal base, and a black round top with a vine & leaf design painted around the top near the edge. It's painted the same tone as her cabinets, and is then distressed and faded. Looks quite Tuscan. These are some other ideas that would combine the cabinet color and the black that you love!

Your bench looks great with the table! So cute!! If I were you, I'd paint those island stools black, and make a slipcover skirt with the same material as you used on the bench! Just a thought! :)
Great project!!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I love it like that!

Anonymous said...

I have been needing wanting to do that to my table and putting it off for so long!! Thanks for the inspiration! Referring to post "you are not alone, I was so grateful today that I chose to check out your blog again because I had this overwhelming need to simplify my life today and was quite overwhelmed and forgetting that indeed as the Savior taught Martha, One thing is needful ONLY ONE. You are so sweet, thanks for the lift. I was wondering, I have always read the King James Version of the Bible, could you tell me what version you quote from, it is a beautiful translation. Have a Lovely and Inspired Day.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and LOVE it!! I just started a house blog, and I would love to link to you if that's okay!

Gloria said...

I love the table and chairs. We just recently painted our table legs and chair backs.

I awarded you. Please check out my blog for details.
http://gloriainexcelsisdeoblog.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Gloria

Anonymous said...

love the way the table turned out. i've always been a little to scared to try out this type of project, you might have given me a little more courage:)

Megan said...

I love black, I have an obsession with it as well, but if you wanted to break up all the black, I think it would be cute to paint the legs of the table cream, and leave the top black.

Tricia said...

I love it!! In fact, you have inspired me to paint mine. yay!!

Anonymous said...

Don't do it! The table looks fantastic and very up-to-date as it is!!

In the pictures, it doesn't look at all like your boys have "lovingly" antiqued it for you. :-)

Sweet Child Kisses said...

Love the table. I have the same one in oak.

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

I love the black table. But you could always try to paint it and see what you think!

Pretty Organizer said...

Okay, you know I love you... I REALLY love you.. Stripping the paint??? From the daughter of a painter to another paint lover... WHAT??? I hate stripping paint. Hate me. I'd buy a new thrift store table to repaint or one that's already a light wood that you can brush a stained polyurethane over (no prep needed) before stripping black paint. You are more patient than I my dear... we all knew that though:)

Betsy said...

You rock! That is exactly what I wanted to see. I am still so unsure about my kitchen table that I love to see others. Thanks. I would keep it black...love it like that and so much work to strip it.

Mimi Sue said...

That would be gorgeous. Mimi

Pamela said...

I say go for the redo of the top!

megan said...

I just posted some pics of my dining room today and about wanting to paint my table! It is the same style as yours. Come look at mine and tell me YOUR ideas!! =)

How funny. But I love yours. I don't even know what I would suggest!

Blessings!
Megan

Shannon said...

My sister in law and I spent two days painting her table just like this. I think we sanded everything for like 10 hours! It took forever. Hers looks just like yours, a little chippy. :)

I think staining it would be very pretty but very hard! :)

Sallie said...

just wondering where you got your island? I would love one that has a semi-built in look and butcher block top.

Jenny said...

That looks great! I have several things that I'd love to paint, but am too chicken to try it.

I am a perfectionist, but I also don't have patience! LOL!

Scrappinfor3 said...

I really like the contrast the current color provides. I think anything you do turns out fantastic though. . .so do what moves you!

Emily said...

I think "Wow, that is not a project I would want to do!" It would be pretty though. I do like the black.

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I painted mine white and I wish I'd used an oil based primer because the knot holes are starting to show (after a year - how weird is that). So I may just sand the top down and start over.

Manuela

bloggin' Chrystal said...

Thank you Kimba! I have this exact table and I was scared to take the paint plunge even though I hate the light wood look now. Thanks for another inspiration. As soon as the cold goes away...I'm gonna paint!

Sandy said...

well, i think they look great!

i just never have the *time* to do that stuff - sigh ... :)

Vanessa Greenway said...

Looks great! :)Good job!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Kimba!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

JOY said...

Being a mom of 4 boyz - I'm all for leaving it how it is - it looks beautiful and is perfect for your boys! If you re-do it you'll have to worry about them messing it up - too much stress! I'm all for keeping it simple. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

jst said...

I am NEW to all this but have spent a month just "stalking " all of you talented people. I love those of you who opening your homes for view. I painted a small table/cabinet over the weekend and its pretty good for a 1st timer. But I have the same butcher block table not in use at this time. So guess what I am doing after Upward B'ball Sat. Painting it! Please if possible share your ideas on sanding it. I do not want to and priming it will not get a lot of wear. LOVE your Blog

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

We have stripped a table that was given to it and stained it - it took forever, but we love it. I totally understand the "distressed" in real life.

Heathahlee said...

I love it like it is, but you have to be happy with it, so do what will make you smile when you see it. You know how much work will be required now that you've done it once.

I have my grandmother's dining set, and I honestly don't know if I could paint it. What if I totally screw it up? What if it's ruined and I've messed up not only a piece of furniture, but also an heirloom? It needs sprucing up, but the risks mostly outweigh the benefits, I guess. Then again, I'm not much of a risk taker, so that's not saying much! : )

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I have this same table and painted it black a couple of years ago, but we kept the top wood. Now I am DYING to find a bench to rehab for it...I even have the houndstooth fabric!!! :)

Raise Them Up said...

I think staining the top would look great! I vote "Do it!" :)

Monkey Giggles said...

It's lovely the way it is. BUT I say live life on the wild side and GO FOR IT, DO IT...paint the little bugger!!!!

Becky said...

Thank you for the post. I had the same set but purchased a new table about a year ago that is black but could not afford to replace the chairs. So thanks for the great idea.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

I hand painted my kitchen table and chairs too. Hello...helllo Mcfly, next time use spray paint. It took FOREVER. Btw, I am LOVING the houndstooth bench makeover. It is ultra uber super FAB!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

I think the table looks just great the way it is now. I wouldn't strip it and redo it. I would sell it first and just buy what you want on Craigslist.com

Blessings,

Sher

Mc Allen said...

oh great job, i really like it!! I think its the perfect color! I want a want a spray gun too... LA

Carla said...

I have that same table and chairs and we were talking the other day about painting them black or and maybe leaving the top wood color and chair seats.
We were also talking about painting it red then black and distressing it a little to let the red show on the edges. I don't knw yet but I love yours.

Carla said...

I have that same table and chairs and we were talking the other day about painting them black or and maybe leaving the top wood color and chair seats.
We were also talking about painting it red then black and distressing it a little to let the red show on the edges. I don't knw yet but I love yours.

Unknown said...

Kimba, Looks great. Go for it. Anything you do looks great.

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

HI Kimba!

Oh that looks fabulous!! you did a beautiful Job! I love transformations, so much fun!

I just did a table a while back and posted about it, mine went from dark walnut to cream with blue stripes, I love the two tone idea, it tied into everything so nicely!

Im sure whatever you do will be gorgeous!! Hugs, Cynthia

Suzann said...

Love the table and I'm excited to see what you will choose to do with it next.

Chris said...

Because my two cents mean soooo much, I say leave it black. You just can't go wrong. I LOVE the transformation of your black table. With all the money you saved in not buying a new table, you could splurge on something else! Don't tell your husband I said that. :)

Biteofpunkinpie said...

kimba, i have the same table and chairs and FINALLY talked husband into letting me paint them (although it will wait until the spring when the weather is warm and dry enough)... quick question- did you do any sanding or priming first?

Kit Kat said...

It's weird, but I too have the exact same table as you. Unfortunately ours is still the butcher block color. My husband and I both hate it, but can't afford a different table. I never even of painting it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jess said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I think it looks great as is. But I do understand being ready for a change.

I have been searching the internet for a good "how to" for 6 months. I have a twenty-year-old-hand-me-down-from-my-in laws table that I have been DYING to paint black. It's a sturdy table and we don't have the money for a new one, so, would you mind giving a short "how to"? Do I have to sand it first?
Jess

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

You've inspired me to get out my black paint once again!

Tangee said...

I love what you've done with it. It looks so beautiful. I've been playing around with the idea of painting mine black, but just not sure yet.

knittingknirvana said...

My husband and I painted a dining room table that was my great aunts. Cherry stain on the table top and black paint on the legs. Yes, using a brush on spindles is time consuming. I still need to paint the china cabinet and I never gave a thought to spray painting it. THANK YOU!!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I have that same table (or something very similar) and have considered painting it many times. Been too chicken to take the plunge, though. It's in the playroom and so beat up and marked up from years of abuse as the "craft table" that I probably couldn't ruin it if I tried--not sure why I'm so scared to touch it with a paintbrush.

Yours looks beautiful!

The Golf Widow said...

I'd paint the whole world. I wish I had a sprayer. Fun times! The bench looks great!!!

finishtherace said...

you know, i have a set that looks so similar to yours. i've been trying to convince the hubby to help me paint this... but it sounds like a lot of work, no? if you think of it, i'd love a post on the process you followed. didn't it take forever to sand down the chairs?

finishtherace said...

you know, i have a set that looks so similar to yours. i've been trying to convince the hubby to help me paint this... but it sounds like a lot of work, no? if you think of it, i'd love a post on the process you followed. didn't it take forever to sand down the chairs?

Laura said...

Love it as is! It would be nice stained too!
And I Loooooove your rug - it would be perfect in my house. Where did you find it??

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your kitchen table and chairs new look.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

OH my goodness! Your before picture looks exactly like our table that I can't stand. It's very 1990s and was my husband's as a bachelor. But I can't justify a new table with pre-schoolers and one on the way. THANK YOU for this amazing idea! I'm bookmarking this page for when I'm out of my first trimester and can sit up for more than 8 minutes at a stretch. :)

Holly Tried It said...

I was looking for info on painting a dining room table. Imagine my surprise when I saw the exact same table I want to paint in your blog. Now I'm definitely going to take the plunge.