06 January 2009

Restoration Hardware Paint Review

My friend Julia from Hooked on Houses is hosting her first ever Hooked on Fridays party today! Here's what I'm hooked on this week.

photo credit: jsarcadia

That is how I usually feel when I'm standing in front of one of these.






Too many choices! Too many possibilities that would leave me with a kitchen the color of a giant pumpkin. (Remind me to share that story with you sometime.) Maybe you've had the same problem.

I take home 253 of those little sample chips, then narrow it down to 48 colors which I will test on my walls before deciding on a color that I end up painting over the next week. I've repainted more rooms than I care to admit. (ok, ok, The Hubster has repainted more rooms than I care to admit.)

Well, I have two words for you...

Restoration Hardware


Did you know that they sell paint in stores and online? And not just any paint. Magnificently, beautifully, gloriously colored paint.



It's perfect for someone like me because there are only about 30 colors to choose from. But each color is perfect. And why wouldn't they be? They pay designers big bucks to make sure their colors are wonderful.

So far I have used the Cappuccino in my bedroom, Latte in the master bath and Silver Sage in the playroom. Love them all!

The quality of the paint is great too. I've always been very loyal to one particular brand that starts with the letters S W. The Restoration Hardware paint went on beautifully and covered just as well.

And it's 20% off through January so that makes it about $25 a can for the Velvet (eggshell) finish.

Restoration Hardware isn't paying me to tell you this (but they should). I just had a hard time finding a Restoration Hardware paint review before buying it so I thought I'd share my love with the world.




post signature

P.S. - Many thanks to The Hubster's cousin, Paul, who shared this little secret with me.

62 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Blogger said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Kimba! It is always such a chore picking colors. We usually go with Behr at Home Depot, my dh just likes it and since he is the painter in the family, well...but on occassion when I simply must have a certain color from a different place, he is fine with that, too.

Happy New Year to you!

Bella

Blogger said...

Oh, just a reminder that Rhoda is having a blog party tomorrow at Southern Hospitality, just in case you didn't hear about it :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...Restoration Hardware. You would not believe how many people come to me just for color consults! It's a tough choice when they are all just sitting there waiting to be picked.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kimba, I'm going to their website to check out the colors now.

Angie said...

Ooh thanks for the tip!! I too have the hardest time picking out the perfect color, I will check out restoration hardware! I love changing the colors of our rooms...it drives my hubby crazy!! Have a great week!!

K and/or K said...

I painted my bathroom with a color from there in our old house. My girlfriend loved it and then told me she had been guessing at it since seeing the same color at Restortaion Hardware, not knowing they sold it there!
When the paint is more $ you can bring a swatch to a big box outlet and they match the color for cheaper also!
Good find!

Pretty Organizer said...

Ya, I'm a loyalist too... Dunn Edwards for me.

Love Restoration Hardware... When I finally finish those kitchen cabs... see new post... I want to outfit my cabs with all those clever drawer pulls you see on roll top secretary desks... the kind that has the label on it. Too many people putting things away makes for a kitchen of many opinions on where things "should go". Blah, blah, blah... boring talk I know but they have my hardware!!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That IS a really good secret. Thanks for sharing it with us! I wish I had known about that. In the past few months I've painted almost every room in my house. Oh well, I get bored easily and will probably be re-painting rooms soon.

Thanks again!

Jen

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

thx...wish i'd known this nifty little fact before painting my kitchen 14 times!

Runner Mom said...

S. W. is the ONLY paint that we use! When you can wipe off the handprints, crayon drawings and markers of little people from your kitchen walls....amazing! Thanks for the tip! Didn't know the online thingie!
Hugs,
susan

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

I agree - it's beautiful. I've heard a little rumor that you can take the name of the paint to some of the popular paint stores and they can match it. I'm not trying to take anything away from Restoration Hardware - believe me - my whole bed is covered in their silver sage bedding, but it may save a little on the shipping costs.

Betsy said...

I love everything restoration hardware so I must try. Thanks for the tip.

Emily said...

Hi, I love your blog. I saw it listed at Mabel's House. Choosing paint is SO hard. It's good to know about Restoration Hardware making it easy. I'll definitely have to check that out!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Yes, I have the blue gray in my house..it is so pretty! Love Restoration Hardware...I could throw everything out and start anew there!
-sandy toe

The Runyans said...

thank you......i'm heading to check it out!!!!

Unknown said...

I'll have to remember that. We have one here - I didn't even know they had paint.

Valarie Lea said...

This reminds me of a time I had a total breakdown when it came to paints. I think I need to blog about it. :[

Dana and Daisy said...

thanks for the review. I get tired of picking and re-picking paint colors, too. I once had a neon orange bedroom. It was supposed to be the color of cantaloupe. Not any real cantaloupe I'd ever seen! Maybe cheap plastic cantaloupe. I didn't get my deposit back on that apartment.

Holly said...

I love RH. I've had three separate living rooms painted Silver Sage. I've had a Latte bedroom, a Cappucino kitchen, a Creamware kitchen (don't know if they have that anymore) an Atmosphere Blue bathroom, and later an AB bedroom. I even bought the fandeck a couple years ago, something I wouldn't normally do, just so I could drool over the paint colors.

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

You are a fountain of useful knowledge ;) Glad I found you!

Chris said...

I was laughing out loud over your paint troubles because I'm the same way! I, too, am madly in love with Restoration Hardware paint (Silver Sage is gorgeous!). Of course, it's no surprise that you are too. Great minds, right? I'm off to check out their colors!

Jennifer@woodleycottage said...

Hi Kimba, I am currently in the middle of redoing our boys' bathroom. I too have come to love the Restoration Hardware paints. I just finished painting their bath "atmosphere blue". Everyone told me it would be too white but it is just what I wanted. A wedgewood blue. The husband is pulling up two layers of nasty stick on tile and carpet. Why would anyone put carpet in a bath just floors me. Then he will retile and replace new loo. The prior owner should have fired his housekeeper eons ago... I'm enjoying your blog. Have a great night.
Jennifer

MakeLifeDelicious.com said...

Oh my goodness...thank you SO much for posting about this!! My husband and I just bought our first house and are in the midst of painting almost every room in the house. It is VERY overwhelming going and seeing 5 million different colors. Just from browsing through RH's website, I LOVE the colors!!! And you can't beat that price! Thanks again!

Free Art Printables said...

I may have to check it out! I don't know if you saw my post from monday, but it was about that exact same thing! Great minds think a like!

Tamara Jansen said...

What a great idea....I too need things to be simplified for me!

Amber Filkins said...

Thanks for the tip, Kimba! Their colors even *sound* wonderful! Of course, I have to have a pretty picture like that to go along with them, so that helps. {my main inspiration---Pottery Barn!!}

But I will definitely have to check them out. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba,
Just found your blog whilst doing a little (OK a lot!) of blog-hopping. I just love your blog, VERY interesting. Will be back to visit you often.
Sarah
Australia
P.S: Love the title of your blog, read my website home page for why!

Angela said...

Oh, yes, we've had the pumpkin experience here. My dear husband picked out paint for our master bedroom once (back when I hadn't yet learned that he has no business picking out paint colors!). Ended up with the most hideous orange on our walls, and then had to find something that would go with it for the master bath. How do you find paint to match "ugly"?
Off to check out Restoration Hardware's paint...thanks for sharing!

Marie said...

I totally LOVE Restoration Hardware paint. I saw it on the walls in their store years ago and the friend I was with loved it so much bought a sample. She ended up getting it mixed through Home Depot but RH colors are PERFECT. :o)

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing! I love Restoration Hardware! You know, Pottery Barn will send you paint chips of the colors they use as well...of course, I don't want to add in any more colors to think about :-)

Heathahlee said...

Seeing as how one of my goals for this year is to paint my kitchen and dining room, this post is very timely! : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! I love the color in your post picture. Wonder if my husband would let me repaint my living room again......

Tiffany said...

I love the color!

rossandconnierockon! said...

I also have Silver Sage on my bedroom walls! I LOVE IT! I found it really by accident . . . sort of. I also had a million paint samples (with many stretched across my walls) and one day stumbled across a blog (Restyled Home) with THE color. With a little research, I found out it was Silver Sage at RH. Because RH is a bit of a drive I called our paint store and they had the match on file!! I picked up the paint and I now live in SS glory!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I'm jumping up and down and clapping!!! I completely agree with you about Restoration Hardware's paint. I painted my kitchen Capuccino, and my master bedroom Latte. Doesn't it even kind of smell good? It's like chocolate, or vanilla or something...or maybe that's just me sniffing too many cans of paint :).

Anonymous said...

I cant wait till you share with all of us the color. I hope that you have much better luck the first time then I did. Im still not sure if I like it or not. Love is not even close. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I love all the walls of paint samples! The endless posibilities!! It makes me giddy just thinking about it....and I love to paint! There's something so soothing about simply changing the color of your walls.

Ok...I'm rambling....

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba, i haven't been by recently but I love to visit your blog and I should more often. I do not know where time goes.

I have two room I want to paint but I am sure there isn't a Restoration Hardware here. We have a Lowe's and their paint is good too. The drawback is all the colors. I'll settle on something though. Good luck with your project. Be sure and post it.

Hugs...Jeanne

Ashley said...

Thanks for the tip! I still have a couple more rooms to go in our house so I'll be sure to check it out.

3CHEERS4MOM said...

Hi Kimba,
Thank YOU!!!!! I always forget about RH having paint, and I went to Lowes this weekend and currently have 250 paint chips spread on the floor.
-Cheers, Amy

nat2377 said...

Kimba- You are right on the money (no pun intended!) with this post. I just painted my nursery silver sage and it is really nice. Someone else already made a comment about this, but after the sale on paint is over, you CAN usually take the color to a store to have it matched - In a former life, I was a faux painter and only used a paint brand that rhymes with Flenjamin Smore...There is a color in that line called Quiet Moments that everyone just LOVED! But, I have also had a lot of luck by staying in the HC (historical collection) and AC (American collection) of this paint brand. You can't go wrong usually...great post!
Natalie

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

Just the names of the colors are making me want to go check it out. That silver sage color sounds like something I might use in my living room...been wanting to try one wall in green this year! Thanks!

Jenna said...

wow! Great minds do think alike! I just saw a someone carrying a bag from Restoration Hardware and was planning on stopping by tonight!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

I adore anything Restoration Hardware. Anything.

Seriously.

Gena said...

I have always used Benny Moore paint in the historical colors, but I have lost both of my paint dealers recently - there is not one even close to me! I love Restoration Hardware but didn't know they had paint - thanks for sharing. I have my bedroom, my guestroom and 2 of my daughter's bedrooms to repaint this year so I'll be shopping online! That is so much easier.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I really like Ralph Lauren paint because the colors are always just right. Ya know...not a shade off that looks gross! :)

Beth at Aunties said...

I really appreciate the suggestions. You are so good about passing great information along:)

Beth at Aunties said...

Where did your four projects go? I am pretty sure I saw them? Maybe I am losing my marbles... it wouldn't be the first time or won't the last:) I came back to see your porch... LOL

Amber B. said...

Thanks for the tip! I hate trying to pick out a paint color, getting it home, and then it's too dark/bright/light/wrong shade/etc. I love RH.

Emily said...

Awe man I HATE picking out paint colors! And once you put all that work into it and put everything back together, then it ends up looking terrible!
I painted every room in our home when we moved in. And now I am to the point where I want to start all over, to my hubbys dismay.. Lol!
I'm going to check this place out right now! Thanks for the recommendation, Kimba!!
Em

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Thanks for joining my blog party, Kimba. Love this post because I'm always struggling to make paint decisions!

Mia said...

I LOVE painting, I am a real painting junkie and standing in front of all the colour choises is like being in a great book store or a library. So many choises, so many promises.. :)

Great post and it really got me longing for my summer house, where I will be painting all summer *remind me in August that I said I love painting, I might not be that into it by then..*

Have a great weekend!

Lamp Tramp said...

That's a great tip for a never ending problem. Love RH colors, furntiure, and great classic style.

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Thank you! I also feel dazed and confused looking at the staggering number of paint choices!

Anonymous said...

I love paint - and changing paint - and changing paint again .... LOL. It's the actual painting that I don't love. Lucky you have a hubby that helps out in that department - mine will but not over and over and over like I always want to do. Oh well.

I too found a glorious new paint though I have't tried RH so I can't compare. I'm so hooked on it that IF we move I plan to make sure it's available in the new city and if not, buy it here and take it with me. Now is that brand loyal or what?

Taya @ Delightful! said...

I so wish we had Restoration Hardware here in Canada! I do love looking at the catalogues though. What a great tip!

Karen said...

Hey Kimba - Thank goodness someone else felt like me - I don't need 658 paint color choices at ANY time - just give me 10 or 20 good colors and let me go. Those displays at the hardware and paint stores make me dizzy! Restoration does have the best colors - and right now they are on sale -
They also have - in case anyone doesn't know - (I didn't know) but they have a baby site that is not well advertised, or maybe I am oblivious....Everyone knows Pottery Barn Kids but try Restoration Hardwares site: www.rhbabyandchild.com for sime simply beautiful stuff (and no they don't pay me to say nice things either but i sure wish they would)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Their paint really does rock. One of the first paint colors I ever used -- strike that; I think it was the first -- was their silver sage. Loved it then, love it now.

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

My blog today was about what color to paint my kitchen...then I remembered your post! I think it will be butter for my French Country kitchen! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Their Silver Sage is my FAVORITE color. I think it's the one they use on the walls in their stores. Very serene and it makes me want to move right in to the store! LOL!

JanetH said...

quick quistion, i just recieved 3 testers, choc,latte, and flax, plan to paint my front room with the flax, its now painted a med gray green color.. do i need to put a primer on first? i have the same paint in my bedroom and as soon as im done here im heading to r.h. to check out that silver sage.. thanx janet

Kimba said...

Janet,

I wouldn't prime for that kind of color change on the walls. I only prime walls if I'm doing a really dark, deep color like a red.

Have fun painting!
Kimba