12 September 2008

A Quick Little Project

I've seen a couple of people around blog-land post this picture from the Lowe's How-To Library. I'm DYING to make them out of those faux pumpkins but I figured out that I would end up spending at least $75 on the pumpkins. Not happening. I'll have to wait until they're on clearance and make them next year.

In the meantime, I thought I could make a miniature pumpkin topiary. Here is what I came up with.



I'm sure the leaves and berries are not P.O.O.P.I.E. approved but I had to use what I already had.



One more thing...I noticed that the blog bling I offered up the other day was a little too big for some of your blogs. It was getting cut off in your sidebars. If you would like a smaller version, grab this new code.





post signature

56 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Unknown said...

Hi Kimba,
Your mini version looks great. I'm like you...I'm gonna get my pumpkins on sale! LOL
diane

Mom in High Heels said...

Those are so cute! You know, you could do the big ones with real pumpkins. When it cools off I mean.

Hillary said...

I am a new fan of yours! I don't know how I found you but I am soo glad I did. You have inspired me to get on with my projects! My mom's coming over in the mornin and we're gonna paint the house red (so to speak!) I can't wait to post about it! Thanks for your inspirations! You've made it less scary to change things :)

Melissa Stover said...

i love those too and next year i'm growing my own pumpkins so i can make some.

Deb said...

I sooo want to make the topiaries for the outside of my home, but you're totally right...way expensive. I need to grab them when they go clearance. Plus I want some fabulous urns, that I can't seem to find for cheap enough. So maybe next year. I love your mini me version though. Super cute and a heck of a lot cheaper.

sunflower girl said...

Great idea. I love it. What kind of pumpkins did you use? It looks wonderful. Great job! Did you hubby say, "oh wonderful, creative, talented wivie, how do you do it?"

Darlene said...

Morning Kimba,
I LOVE your little mini pumpkin topiaries!! They turned out GREAT! I keep seeing these so I will end up having to make some. I'm with you on the large one...those pumpkins HAVE to be on sale!!

Kathryn said...

Love it, Kimba. Mini or maxi with real or P.O.O.P.I.E. foilage ... it's adorable either way!

Friday blessings!

Unknown said...

very cute Kimba!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Those are definitely great! P.O.O.P.I.E. approved or not. I was thinking of the mini versions too, now you've convinced me. Jackie

Shannon said...

Love these topiaries. I have done something similar to this the past few years and it is so much fun. I love your mini ones!!!

Vanessa Greenway said...

They look just wonderful! I wanted to make something like that too, but the pumpkins are too expensive! Now for the POOPIE aproval I'm with you, I have some of the same leaves you do, but I think they look good. xo Vanessa

Wendy said...

You've done it again. I'm gonna have to add a new section to my craft inspiration notebook titled "Kimba Crafts". Thanks for all the inspiration!

Caren said...

Really cute idea. I think there's a fine line between POOPIE approved and not-POOPIE approved. Those are acceptable in my opinion. I thought I bought all my fall decorations yesterday but now I just might have to head out for a few more. Thanks. A lot. ;)

Meredith said...

Hi! I have a great way to make those topiaries cheaper! Do you by chance have a Hobby Lobby? I'm not sure where you are from, but in Texas we have this craft store and it is great. They sell these "carveable" pumpkins called Funkins. They come in a variety of sizes. They are made of a special material and you can carve them and then permenently have carved pumpkins that you can also put a bulb in afterwards. I think I may have originally seen them in a Martha Stewart magazine??? Anyway, last night at Hobby Lobby while I was buying my fall decor, they were 1/2 off. I think the biggest one was around $15, and then it was half off that! This way you could make them and save them for each year! They come in the standard orange and then they also sell a white version. Hope that helps!! I hope you have a Hobby Lobby!! I may have to go make one and then email you the pics! Those topiaries are too cute!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Hey Kimda, I LOVE the little topiaries! Where did you get your pumpkins? I wanted to get some the other day at Hobby Lobby, but they were like all sold out and the ones they did have were all chipped :
( Maybe I can look at the dollar store :) hehe

Kristen, pajama mama said...

a couple of weeks ago (yes, that's embarrassing) I made a mantle size topiary with white pumpkins. i'll have to post soon on that. love the lowes picture. i hadn't seen it, but would love to do some for next year too!

-kristen

Anonymous said...

Love it...I may give it a try this weekend.

Katy said...

OH...i love your mini topiaries!!!! Too cute!!! Great job! :)

Free Art Printables said...

Very cute. I love the mini version!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Kimba - do you know how many projects that you inspired me with...only to go out, buy the supplies and then....well, I have a great new closet just for the supplies. :) I found out your sis lives by us. You must come visit your sister, (help me finish these...ok, maybe not) and all of us blog ladies will get together...Emily, Nester and bunches of others!

Heathahlee said...

The new version of the button is perfect, as well as your little topiaries! Too cute!

Merrie said...

Those are great -- and you're right on the clearance part. That's a good idea.

Hey, I blogged about another Kimba inspired project of mine. Check it out! :)

Jo said...

What cute little pumpkin topiaries! They look great!

duchess said...

They look great.
I've thought about doing the larger version for the porch too but with everything else I need to buy for the new house - huge fake pumpkins didn't make the top of the list.
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I love those things! I just hope I can get around to making mine.... Yours looks great!

stephanie h said...

CAA-ute!!! I love the topiaries!

Super cute idea. I am decorating this weekend and I can't wait! :)

Lettered Cottage said...

Okay. That's it. I'm going outside RIGHT NOW and getting me some clippings. I'll post a photo on my blog if I come up with anything good. :-)

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Like the mini version. very cute.

Valarie Lea said...

I like the mini version :)

Kris said...

i think they are wonderful~ Great idea! Those big urns don't come cheap!

Candice said...

I love the mini version in the urns!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

SUCH a fabulous project! Thanks for sharing! I'll be linking to this in my next fall roundup!

Mrs. B said...

I haven't seen hat Lowes picture before, but it is so cute! I did see someone else do some topiaries with mini faux pumpkins. Wish I could remember who. I love your little topiary, Poopie approved or not. I think I may try the big one with real pumpkins later in the season. Now I'll just have to find some big pots on clearance.

Unknown said...

Those look great! So festive! Great job!

AJ said...

Love those little topiaries:)

Anonymous said...

Like your more affordable version of the large pumpkin topiaries. Great way to use what you have. I'm waiting to buy fall decor when it goes on sale as well. Since this is our first "season" in our home, we have pretty limited seasonal decor. (I'll be grabbing the new button!)

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Love the way this turned out.

I, too, am dying to make the outdoor pumpkinaries. In my area, though, I've not seen many of the faux pumpkins. I'll have to keep looking, I guess.

-- Brandi

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

POOPIE approved or not- those are darn cute!

You've inspired me...to try spray painting! I'm trying to beat the rain ...I hope I don't screw up! My fingers are now black and the stuff doesn't seem to want to wash off!!!!
:)

Nicol said...

Super cute! I love the mini ones that you did and dying to do the larger ones. I will have to keep an eye out for fake pumpkins at the end of the season.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Oh NO! It started to rain while my stuff was drying outside! What do I do? Do I let the stuff dry with the droplets or do I try to wipe up the water droplets?

Nicol said...

I've been searching for the insturction for the large Lowe's project and I can't find it. Could you send me a link for it or post it?

maryanne420 said...

Kimba,
You did such a great job! Pumpkins can get so expensive. But i like your mini version. As always, great ideas.

Whitlock's Girl said...

I love the mini version!! Very cute. I even spread some Southen Sass and told my readers about it!

Deb said...

Very nice Kimba! Deb

Unknown said...

Every year I think I will buy the fake pumpkins when they go on sale...and then I forget how much i wanted them when they're marked down 70%. I'm keeping this picture to remind me this year! I love the button; I posted it on my site. But, alas, no fall decorations yet for me. I'm just keeping my head above water with the new school year. :)

Inspired Kara said...

EEEEK! I LOVE IT!!!

JUST what I need to make for fall. I can't do the big ones for outside since I just have a little apartment. YAY! Great idea!

Amanda said...

The mini version is perfect for indoors. I like how this could be placed really any where in the house...it just screams Fall. So creative.

nikkicrumpet said...

The mini topiaries are adorable!!! The big ones are awesome but I can see they would be expensive to create. Have a wonderful night!

Unknown said...

Those turned out really cute!

Sunny said...

Kimba, first I want to tell you that I love your blog. I'm just getting started in the blogosphere (is it blog-o-sphere or just blogsphere??). Anyway, found your blog thru Nester's. LOVE IT, GIRL! You are so cute and funny. Anyway, long story longer, I want to put your bling on my blog but just don't know how! I've been a little pathetic lately by begging people to help me do this stuff and post pics. Can you help?

You're great - don't know you personally, but I can always tell when someone is my kinda gal! I'm gonna link you on my blog if that's ok.

Anonymous said...

I love you mini pumpkin topiary & can't wait to try this myself! You are such a talented person and have some very creative and fun ideas. I am a new follower & I can't wait to see what you will have to share next!

KatBouska said...

Really cute idea! And I'm with you. Wait for the clearance and spend about one fourth of that price!!

Marie said...

Cute! I bought a few small pumpkins already to make this. I couldn't envision the finished project in my head...thanks for the photos of what you did!

I agree. The large pumpkin project will have to wait until next year. I haven't even seen large pumpkins at the store yet...but I know I won't be buying them until they are cheeeeap. :o)

Lallee said...

I can't wait to unpack my Fall decorations and see if I have what's needed to make these! They're terrific.

The Tuscan Home said...

Thank you so much for posting this idea! I love, love, love it! I adore your mini version and it looks very classy & elegant. Brilliant!

~*Liz*~