05 August 2008

My Take on Ragamuffin

Big sigh of relief.


I have internet access and a working telephone. Whew. I was starting to think I would need an intervention if I didn't get some access to the outside world soon!

On to today's post...I've had ragamuffin on the brain lately.

You've all probably seen the luscious, dreamy, fabulous Ragamuffin Garlands that The Nester makes. They make my heart go pitter patter.

When I was on vacation, I saw a different take on the concept in that frou-frou decorator shop that I told you about when I made my seashell garlands. The designer ragamuffined (now it's a verb) a handbag using ribbon instead of fabric.

So here's my take on it.


What would you call it? The Ribbon-muffin Basket? Wouldn't it be adorable on a little girl's dresser to hold her barrettes and hair thingys? I think it looks like a glorious pink muppet-flower.


If you want to make one, get yourself a big old bunch of ribbon. Any colors will do. Cut as many pieces as you think you'll need. Then double it. :-) Start tying pieces of ribbon onto the basket and keep going until your hands are numb and your fingers are bloody. Then tie on a few more pieces.

One more thing...If you haven't seen it already, you have to go see the giveaway being hosted by my bloggy friend Nicole at Our Cozy Nest. She's giving away a beautiful chandelier! Yep! I said chandelier! What a fantastic giveaway!


post signature

28 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Heathahlee said...

Ooh, ooh, I'm first today! The basket is oh so cute. Too bad Kiddo's hair is buzz cut and doesn't require ribbons and bows. I could make one with camo colored ribbon.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

It's so girly, and ragamuffin is not even appropriate for it. If I think of a name I'll let you know, but it's got lots of pizazz! Wow, you are doing this and moving too, you are amazing!

ko said...

wow! SO cute! That really is adorable! Thanks so much for stopping by! :) The NEster has made me LOVE the ragamuffin garland..I love love love them!..

.Love your blog!!!!!! You are too cute!
KYley

Darlene said...

That is ADORABLE!!! I might have to try it....how in the heck are you unpacking and still crafting?!! You are awesome!!

Trixi said...

I haven't been here in a while and see that you got moved. Yay!!!! I know how strenuous that can be. I can't wait to see what you do with this new house. We have had those big mud pits before they have put down the sod too and it can be trying. Especially with kids.LOL
I love the ragamuffin basket!! Have a great day!!

Anonymous said...

What a cute little idea... bet thats a bunch of ribbon! My Mom use to make those "ragamuffin" swags when I was still at home..."80's".. She would even take those same peices of cloth and make rugs... Very cute. I use to put them on my flip flops.
How is the house moving going? Painted anything yet?... Kimba..The Paint Diva!. Gotta love it! We want to see your house, boxes and all! Take care, Susie h~

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Such an adorable project--my girls would love that! Hey, I love that! :) I've moved enough times (8 times in 11yrs) to know that you have to have the pretty things taken care of first, then the rest of the unpacking and organizing in order for the new place to feel like home. And so you don't lose your mind amidst chaos! :)

Fabulous bag!

Blessings, Stacey

Carry Grace said...

This is super cute! I love anything that involves ribbon!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yep, it would look SO wonderful right on my daughters dresser. Was that an offer? :) Thanks for the great idea...love it!

scargosun said...

Pretty! It reminds me of a flower, a Dahlia, I think? They are like Zinnias with extra pouf. You know?

Dahlia Basket. :)

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

You make me laugh. Wish I knew you in real life, you are adorable. I bet there are boxes to unpack but you are busy ragamuffining a basket. It adorable. heart it.

me

Nicol said...

Super Cute! I really like this take on the Ragamuffin!

Lacy said...

Love it Kimba! I love the fluff!!!! I have been dying to put that fluff on some stuff! I have done it before on a handle of a bucket for a gift. I am inspired! Glad your all moved!

Sarah said...

So cute! Love the pink!

Anonymous said...

So, what did you tie it to on the basket...a lid? This looks pretty cool...and yes, why are you doing this AND moving?

I started spray painting last night...hopefully I can post about it on Thursday.....

Cathy said...

It is adorable! It would look perfect in my daughter's room!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

TupeloLove said...

Kimba, I love it! It brings a smile to my face just looking at it! Great job!

Blogger said...

I still don't understand how you made it, but it sure is darling! Did you just tie ribbon to a handle of a basket? I'm so easily confused, lol ;)

Bella

Kathryn said...

ADORABLE! Did you double knot the ribbons? Thanks for sharing your idea.

Blessings ...

PS-Love your blog design! I'm researching some other options to "customize" my site a little more but am overwhelmed by the options. Did you use software to create yours?

Kimba said...

Some of you asked how I tied on the ribbon. It's not really clear in the pictures but the ribbons are tied directly onto the top rim of the basket. This basket has a pretty open weave around the top so I treaded each piece of ribbon through the basket and tied it in place. Hence the bleeding fingers.

Tangee said...

That is so cute!!!! I wanna do that and miss bear has a basket that could definately use that treatment!

Kitty Scraps said...

Kimba your basket is stinkin' cute! I did the ragamuffin treatment to a pair of flip flops and in all my OCD glory I cut each piece of fabric and ribbon precisely the same size with my rotary cutter and mat, then I tied exactly the same number of pieces onto each flip flop making sure the colors went in the same exact order on each side and pair...that was exhausting, I can't imagine how long it would take me to do what you've done! But gosh it looks so freakin' cute!

BTW - Picking up my rehab project this weekend! Yippee! Can't wait!

{oc cottage} said...

That is just too cute!!

M ^..^

Munchkins and Music said...

Creative idea!

Michelle said...

This is really cute! I think that I will copy your idea and make one for my niece for Christmas.

Take Care
Michelle

Shannon said...

So cute!

I'm glad you have internet now so we can see more posts! :)

Anonymous said...

Kimba, that craft is more than I would tackle. It looks delightful and I think it would be a cute addition to the decor in a little girls room.

I have tagged you for a silly but fun song tag. Come to my blog and check it out. Play along if you would like to do it. :)

Take care, Jeanne

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Very cute! I clicked over from Mom Advice.

I have two girls and I am NOT crafty at all but I think this is something I could do. Plus I am always seeking cute/unique storage options.