04 November 2009

Quick Projects with Foam Stamps: A Guest Post

Today's post comes from Sara at Creative Jewish Mom. Sara and I connected a few months ago and I am a huge fan of her site where she shares the joys of crafting, decorating, cooking, and gardening. I think you're going to love her too!




A scrap of awning fabric stamped with fabric paint makes a casual table runner.

The craft of stamping images onto fabric or paper is always fun and satisfying, so when I spotted a collection of large foam stamps at the dollar store a few years back, I scooped them all up, and wish I had bought duplicates! Foam stamping does not produce the crisp results one can obtain with stenciling so I wouldn't recommend doing it on your walls, but there are so many other ways to use this quick decorative technique.


Cover the blank walls at a school or community function with long stamped banners!

I have used these stamps for projects with children as young as 5 years old and fun was had by all. Even imperfect results are charming and can be used as wrapping paper or for gift cards and tags.


Plain brown boxes : now wonderful gift boxes or decorative storage containers!

Stamping is the kind of thing you just can't get enough of, so before you get started make sure you have a whole bunch of boxes, paper and anything else you can think of on hand! I used one of these stamps on cracker boxes turned inside out to make really festive Purim containers, but you'll just have to wait awhile to see them!


Stamping on colored paper with white or creme paint is quite successful. Cut your paper to the exact height of some good recycled cans, and make useful containers that look great!


These are the stamps that I used to make all the above examples in this post!

How To:

  1. Buy some foam stamps like these, if you can't find them sit tight, I'll hopefully be teaching you how to make something similar in the future!
  2. Using acrylic craft paint, apply paint to the stamp with a large brush
  3. Carefully place stamp on paper and press down
  4. Lift from paper to enjoy the results

Note from Kimba: Thanks Sara! I've always wondered what to do with those huge foam stamps at the craft store. Now I know. Here are just a few of my favorite posts from Creative Jewish Mom:

Container Gardening with Houseplants
Dimensional Fall Tree with Felt Leaves
Floral Pomander Balls
Whole Wheat and Yogurt Pancakes

Sara was born and raised in California, educated in New York and now lives in the gorgeous rolling hills of Northern Israel with her Israeli husband and five children.

She left a high profile designer life in Manhattan for spiritual pursuits and ended up meeting her husband in Israel. They have chosen to live in the North of the country to give their children a quiet upbringing close to nature and away from the distractions of commercialization.

19 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Unknown said...

Ohhhh... I love stamping -- now this is my element! Great ideas!

Renee Strag said...

happy birthday Kim!

Anonymous said...

how fun! stamping is so much fun! great ideas!

Emily said...

Love the awning runner! It's gorgeous! And PERFECT for fall/Thanksgiving decorating! You rock, Kimba!

Skyes Scribbles said...

I love this idea! Great thinking!

Nobody Puts Mama In A Corner! said...

This stamping is so gorgeous!!! Gives me ideas already!! I am feeling pretty crafty!!!
Thanks,
Mama Holli

Sara said...

Hi Kimba, It's me Sara from www.creativejewishmom.com
The post looks great,thanks so very much. Looking forward to guesting again sometime on your fabulous blog!

Lynn Kellan said...

Oh no! Now I'm tempted to try stamping... Aw, heck, who needs to do housework!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

her site has some fun things on it!

Unknown said...

this looks really fun to do with the kids:) thanks for sharing this:)

F.T.M. said...

So I'm in love with everything on your page. I'm really trying to "study" and develop the artsy-do-it-yourselfer in me. Since I quit my job to stay home with my baby, I'm trying to find an outlet to better myself and my home, as well as save me some money. So I just LOVE all your fun ideas. It's like watching HGTV. :-)

I've given you an award and added you to the Blogs I Love on my page. Stop by and see it. http://adventuresofa1sttimemommy.blogspot.com/

Keep up all the fun ideas!

Suzann said...

Fun idea!!

mini pendants said...

What great ideas!

Unknown said...

Pretty stamps, Wonderful great ideas!!!

Carrie Garvin said...

So clever! I plan on helping my granddaughters "stamp" brown kraft paper for holiday gifts this year. I'll have to check into the foam kind.

brnidtica said...

Hey Kimba! I was wondering if you will be making any of your burlap table runners? I've left a message on your etsy site but haven't heard back so I thought I try to find out by leaving a comment. I ordered two from you last year. Thanks!!
Gretchen
brnidtica@yahoo.com

Chany said...

precioso!!! Muy bueno. chany desde Argentina.-

http://mihogardondesoyfeliz.blogspot.com

Caren said...

Really cute. I've used those kinds of stamps before, they're fun. I had to comment that when I read the title of this post in my blog roll, I thought it said, "Quick Projects with FOOD Stamps," that would have been entirely different huh?

Ashlee said...

I LOVE Sara, and I love this idea. Very cute.